What's the difference between "Press Virigina" and "Fastest 40"

Started by snoot hoggy hog, March 23, 2018, 07:12:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

#1 STUNNA

West Virginia is about as close as you'll get to it in basketball right now

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on March 23, 2018, 07:13:55 pm
West Virginia is about as close as you'll get to it in basketball right now

Boy do I miss it. Hopefully Mike will go all out with this upcoming team.

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on March 23, 2018, 07:17:08 pm
Boy do I miss it. Hopefully Mike will go all out with this upcoming team.

They got the length and athletes for sure. I think this coming up season will be the closest to the old since Anderson has taken over.

Kevin

the play with a mean, nasty attitude. they are scared not to, cause huggins scares them

his players do what he says. funny how a coach can do that
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Kevin on March 23, 2018, 07:26:15 pm
the play with a mean, nasty attitude. they are scared not to, cause huggins scares them

his players do what he says. funny how a coach can do that

I don't think they are scared of him at all. Hell, I just saw Huggins dang near kiss one of them. It was such an intimate moment that I replayed it for my wife who even found it a bit of an over the top PDA.
Hogs up! Covid down!

razorback1829

They have better defensive players. One of the best defensive guards in the country. Makes a difference.. just one.

zenchow

West Virginia is at a point where they can get the players they want....we are just now starting to get to that point. More winning breeds better recruiting which leads to having the type of player we need.

Paul

Quote from: zenchow on March 23, 2018, 07:55:23 pm
West Virginia is at a point where they can get the players they want....we are just now starting to get to that point. More winning breeds better recruiting which leads to having the type of player we need.
7 years? 

Hog_Fink

zenchow

Quote from: Paul on March 23, 2018, 07:58:53 pm
7 years? 
I think once you can put together a few NCAA tournament years in a row then recruits begin to look at you more favorably...four star guys aren't that interested in team that don't regularly make the tournament.
In 2015 we went down a long list of power forwards that we wanted but we had to settle for Cook....this past year we wanted Chaney first for that position and we were able to get him. We had Perry when he was a 4 star...as soon as he became a 5 star we lost him...win a few years with the 4 star guys and maybe we can move up to the 5 star guys.

TushCrush

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 23, 2018, 07:23:02 pm
The Carter kid at guard.
Carter reminds me of Emmette Bryant who used to play for the Celtics.
Same sideburns and cat quick.

Kevin

Quote from: zenchow on March 23, 2018, 07:55:23 pm

Here we go. Just need more time
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Kevin

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 23, 2018, 07:49:37 pm
I don't think they are scared of him at all. Hell, I just saw Huggins dang near kiss one of them. It was such an intimate moment that I replayed it for my wife who even found it a bit of an over the top PDA.

He loves them. But it is tough love

golfinpig

WVU has better players but the results are similar. Far too many fouls which causes a big disparity in free throws. To the ref haters, it's not the refs. The rules have been changed and players can no longer hand check and must respect the offensive players vertical space. WVU played more timid in the second half because their 3 best players had 4 fouls. It's also why Villanova shot 30 something free throws.

Deep Shoat

Y'all are barking up the wrong tree.

Nolan (and WVU) press to create havock and turnovers.  CMA presses to speed up pace.

Seriously, our rotations aren't even intended to create turnovers 90% of the time.  They stop pressing after the second pass more often than not.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Oliver

While I'd rather have Huggins than Mike, I really just don't want to play this style of basketball anymore.  It's an outdated style of basketball that teams have figured out how to beat

zenchow

Quote from: Kevin on March 23, 2018, 08:57:00 pm
Here we go. Just need more time
he could cut down on the time factor by winning more...or become a more dynamic recruiter

ChicoHog

I'm glad WVU lost.  I don't like their style at all.  Ugly basketball.  Way too many fouls and open shots given. They do crash the boards pretty well however. 
Love the way 'Nova plays but of course they have really good players and that helps. 

NinoHogUNIA

Quote from: Kevin on March 23, 2018, 08:57:31 pm
He loves them. But it is tough love

Hogs fans would want Huggie fired because they don't like "street ball"  well they might give him more leeway can't put my finger on the reason why.

BIE

Oliver

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 23, 2018, 08:59:38 pm
Y'all are barking up the wrong tree.

Nolan (and WVU) press to create havock and turnovers.  CMA presses to speed up pace.

Seriously, our rotations aren't even intended to create turnovers 90% of the time.  They stop pressing after the second pass more often than not.

Usually because the other team has already beaten our press by the second pass

ChicoHog

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on March 23, 2018, 09:06:40 pm
Hogs fans would want Huggie fired because they don't like "street ball"  well they might give him more leeway can't put my finger on the reason why.

I can't really decipher your prose but WVU has nothing to do with street ball.  It's a full court press that's very physical but fouls a lot and gives up open 3's.  Kind of a "high risk-high reward" type defense.  I personally don't like it but some folks may.  Very few teams do it now as it usually works well against inferior competition or teams unfamiliar with it but normally does not work as well against a highly skilled team.  I prefer a half court man or even a zone with emphasis on rebounding and not leaving open shooters. 

Busta_Nutt

West Virginia is good. Arkansas is not. That is the difference.

ChicoHog

Gonzo

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on March 23, 2018, 07:12:03 pm
Neither are "40 minutes of hell" but West Virginia seems closer to Nolan's style than Mike's "Fast 40".

http://wvusports.com/news/2018/2/25/mens-basketball-carter-miles-walk-the-carpet-one-final-time-monday-night.aspx

The difference? Pretty simple imo, Hogs have a good coach, WVa has a better one.

Go Hogs!

ChicoHog

Quote from: Gonzo on March 23, 2018, 09:57:08 pm
The difference? Pretty simple imo, Hogs have a good coach, WVa has a better one.

Go Hogs!
Hogs have a mediocre coach and good person.  WVU has a pretty good coach and not a good person. 

Gonzo

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 23, 2018, 10:04:18 pm
Hogs have a mediocre coach and good person.  WVU has a pretty good coach and not a good person. 

I'm not the greatest fan of MA, but I'll give him credit for being better than mediocre. I think his record shows he's good, he's just not the difference maker some Hog fans have been fortunate to see like Eddie or Nolan. I don't think most Hog fans feel very comfortable against solid programs if the difference comes down to coaching. It could certainly be worse, but it could certainly be better too imo.

Go Hogs!

alaskahog

Quote from: Oliver on March 23, 2018, 09:01:44 pm
While I'd rather have Huggins than Mike, I really just don't want to play this style of basketball anymore.  It's an outdated style of basketball that teams have figured out how to beat

To start...I am not sure I want "Huggy Bear" over Mike...but as far as the "outdated style" comment I am not sure that holds water.  For any old hats on here I wonder if they watch the current Golden State Warriors and have flashbacks to Eddie Sutton's triplet teams.  Eddie ran a style of play similar to Golden State.  They have a big man that can pass (and in Draymond's case...can shoot outside at times) and filter the ball to the perimeter for shooters and slashers.  In fact, Counce our big man often played like a guard on the perimeter.  Another example would be Nolan...I believe he got his style from Haskins who coached him at UTEP (Texas Western) back in the 1960's.  Styles come and go based off talent, rules, ref tendencies, the NBA and even high school trends, etc.  It seems every year in the NCAA tournament a team that uses a lot of pressure defending makes a deep run. 

Having said that...I don't know what the answer is to get the team to a point that the fan base can all get behind and support.  Maybe we need to show up and support the team rather than find any and all reasons to complain.  I remember a sold out Bud Walton during "March Sadness" (i.e. the 1997 team that missed the tournament after making it 9 years in a row).  Some students dressed in all black and were going to quietly protest their frustration in the stands...but a few minutes into the game and it was like we were playing Kentucky, Duke or UNC and the entire building was rocking.  OR maybe we need a change...but UofA does not have the best record of making knee jerk changes because of style of play (i.e. Ken Hatfield...).  Maybe that is a reason it is difficult to bring coaches in...they see a program that has had some limited success in football and a maybe little more success in basketball but a fan base that expects us to be National Champions every year.

P.S.  And yes I know that if we had the three point line when the triplets where at UofA we would have whooped everyone.     

RME

Quote from: alaskahog on March 23, 2018, 10:26:23 pm
To start..I am not sure I want "Huggy Bear" over Mike...but as far as the "outdated style" comment I am not sure that holds water.  For any old hats on here I wonder if they watch the current Golden State Warriors and have flashbacks to Eddie Sutton's triplet teams.  Eddie ran a style of play similar to Golden State.  They have a big man that can pass (and in Draymond's case...can shoot outside at times) and filter the ball to the perimeter for shooters and slashers.  In fact, Counce our big man often played like a guard on the perimeter.  Another example would be Nolan...I believe he got his style from Haskins who coached him at UTEP (Texas Western) back in the 1960's.  Styles come and go based off talent, rules, ref tendencies, the NBA and even high school trends, etc.  It seems every year in the NCAA tournament a team that uses a lot of pressure defending makes a deep run. 

Having said that...I don't know what the answer is to get the team to a point that the fan base can all get behind and support.  Maybe we need to show up and support the team rather than find any and all reasons to complain.  I remember a sold out Bud Walton during "March Sadness" (i.e. the 1997 team that missed the tournament after making it 9 years in a row).  Some students dressed in all black and were going to quietly protest their frustration in the stands...but a few minutes into the game and it was like we were playing Kentucky, Duke or UNC and the entire building was rocking.  OR maybe we need a change...but UofA does not have the best record of making knee jerk changes because of style of play (i.e. Ken Hatfield...).  Maybe that is a reason it is difficult to bring coaches in...they see a program that has had some limited success in football and a maybe little more success in basketball but a fan base that expects us to be National Champions every year.

P.S.  And yes I know that if we had the three point line when the triplets where at UofA we would have whooped everyone.     

Yeah. Who would want a guy who's been a head coach since 1980 and has compiled a 845-341 record for a winning percentage of .712 over a guy who's been a head coach since 2002 with a career record of 351-184 for a winning percentage of .656.

Huggins has done 10x more in 6 years at WVU in the Big 12 than Mike has here in 7. 4 tournament appearances and 3 Sweet Sixteens. The 5 years he was at WVU in the Big East he made the tournament every year, made a Sweet Sixteen and a Final Four. 11 years at WVU, 9 tournament appearances, 4 Sweet Sixteens, 1 Final Four.

Utterly hilarious to say you aren't sure if you'd take Huggins over Mike.

alaskahog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 23, 2018, 10:29:44 pm
Yeah. Who would want a guy who's been a head coach since 1980 and has compiled a 845-341 record for a winning percentage of .712 over a guy who's been a head coach since 2002 with a career record of 351-184 for a winning percentage of .656.

Huggins has done 10x more in 6 years at WVU in the Big 12 than Mike has here in 7. 4 tournament appearances and 3 Sweet Sixteens. Utterly hilarious to say you aren't sure if you'd take Huggins over Mike.

Since being at West Virginia his record is 255–130 (.662) and Mike's record during the same period at Arkansas 151–86 (.637)...good call on the 10x more successful!!  Compare year by year...since Mike has been at Arkansas Huggy's record is (154-88) at WVU...also if SEC got 8 bids like Big12 and Big East Mike would have made the tourney all but two years at UofA.  Also Huggy did not make tourney in year 6 and year 7 at WVU...losing record year 6 and just over .500 year 7...year seven 17-16 and a strong showing in the NIT first round!!  Also those were some brutal years in the A10, great Midwest, Conf. USA, and the Ohio valley conference!!  Talk about hilarious...

golfinpig

Quote from: alaskahog on March 23, 2018, 10:41:39 pm
Since being at West Virginia his record is 255–130 (.662) and Mike's record during the same period at Arkansas 151–86 (.637)...good call on the 10x more successful!!  Compare year by year...since Mike has been at Arkansas Huggy's record is (154-88) at WVU...also if SEC got 8 bids like Big12 and Big East Mike would have made the tourney all but two years at UofA.  Also Huggy did not make tourney in year 6 and year 7 at WVU...losing record year 6 and just over .500 year 7...year seven 17-16 and a strong showing in the NIT first round!!  Also those were some brutal years in the A10, great Midwest, Conf. USA, and the Ohio valley conference!!  Talk about hilarious...
You kill your own argument by saying "if" the sec got 8 bids mike would have made the tourny more. The sec didn't get the bids because the league sucked. Which means mike couldn't win in a ** league enough to get in. We will see how he does with the improved league next year. It could be ugly.

golfinpig

It makes me sick. We could have had Chris Beard. I've read guys on here say there's no way to change a program in 2 years yet Beard is in the great eight in his second year. A real good coach and a couple of difference makers and a team can be turned around. It's that simple.

bkjbearcat

I guess it's easier to get good players for that kind of system to go to West Virginia then Arkansas. I mean Morgantown has everything! Just like Texas Tech. Much easier to get good players to Lubbock then Fayetteville.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

bkjbearcat

Quote from: golfinpig on March 23, 2018, 11:41:11 pm
It makes me sick. We could have had Chris Beard. I've read guys on here say there's no way to change a program in 2 years yet Beard is in the great eight in his second year. A real good coach and a couple of difference makers and a team can be turned around. It's that simple.

Well, give Mike some slack. Everyone knows is easier to get good players to Lubbock then it is to Fayetteville. I mean their facilities are top notch. And they CHEAT!!!!
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

alaskahog

Quote from: golfinpig on March 23, 2018, 11:32:47 pm
You kill your own argument by saying "if" the sec got 8 bids mike would have made the tourny more. The sec didn't get the bids because the league sucked. Which means mike couldn't win in a ** league enough to get in. We will see how he does with the improved league next year. It could be ugly.

No different an argument than comparing Huggy's success in awful conferences to Mike's success in two power 5 conferences and one mid-major conference.  And the assessment that the SEC sucked is simply an opinion...this years bracket alone tells you that the talking heads and committee members are flying by the seat of their pants.  For a few years the Big 12 was hyped...but always seemed to disappoint when it came to the tournament other than Kansas and maybe one other team.  SEC had the similar tournament success with fewer teams.  Simply because the committee did not pick more teams from a conference does not mean one conference is weaker than the other.  SEC had a strong showing in the tournament last year...and there were articles talking about how that will help us in 2018 when it comes to selection...but in reality one has nothing to do with the other when many teams will be completely different the next year. 

One final thought:  A few years ago ASU had a better conference record, better out of conference record, split with Arizona during regular season and beat them in the Pac12 conference tourney...Arizona went to NCAA tourney ASU did not get a bid.  Simply because the committee chooses a team does not mean the team is better than other teams left out...in this case I would say the opposite happened. 

RME

Quote from: alaskahog on March 23, 2018, 10:41:39 pm

Let's stop you right there.

Since being at West Virginia: 11 years. 9 tournament appearances. 3 Sweet Sixteens. 1 Final Four.
Mike has made 3 tournaments in 7 years here. Mike hasn't made a Sweet Sixteen here. 9/11 > 3/7
And still a better winning percentage than Mike. Still a way better postseason resume than Mike.

You said, "Also Huggy did not make tourney in year 6 and year 7 at WVU"
Well yeah. Huggins made the tournament 5 times in his first 5 years and had 1 Sweet Sixteen and 1 Final Four thrown in during that span. I think he can have a little slack in years 6 and 7 when he does that in his first 5 years.

You're trying SO hard to spin it in Mike's favor. At the end of the day you're arguing against PROVEN results.

Arguing against legitimate facts and statistics? Hilarious.

ChicoHog

Agreed.  And TT likely would have won the Big 12 regular season title if Keenan Evans didn't get hurt and miss a few games.  I'd trade Anderson for Beard in a heartbeat. 

HogBreath

Quote from: bkjbearcat on March 23, 2018, 11:53:15 pm
Well, give Mike some slack. Everyone knows is easier to get good players to Lubbock then it is to Fayetteville. I mean their facilities are top notch. And they CHEAT!!!!
Hopefully we can break ground on the practice facility very soon.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Rome26

Stan Heath took Kent St to the Elite 8 in his first and only year there. Do you consider him a great coach?

steveaustin69

Quote from: Rome26 on March 24, 2018, 11:56:55 am
Stan Heath took Kent St to the Elite 8 in his first and only year there. Do you consider him a great coach?

Fair point but Beard has had abnormally high success at two programs. One a high-major. 3rd in the Big 12 at TTU in year 2? Guy can coach.

razorback1829

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 24, 2018, 02:35:58 pm
Fair point but Beard has had abnormally high success at two programs. One a high-major. 3rd in the Big 12 at TTU in year 2? Guy can coach.

Still hasn't even had his own team of his players. Sure you ignore that though.

Oliver

Quote from: razorback1829 on March 24, 2018, 04:08:31 pm
Still hasn't even had his own team of his players. Sure you ignore that though.

That's true.  We need to give Beard 7 or 8 years to get the players for his system before we really analyze his coaching abilities

razorback1829

Quote from: Oliver on March 24, 2018, 04:14:48 pm
That's true.  We need to give Beard 7 or 8 years to get the players for his system before we really analyze his coaching abilities

Just stating a couple of facts. Not saying he can't coach. But I bet if we let it play out it won't be as pretty as it is right now. CMA has done what Beard did twice in separate vonfrences.

ChicoHog

Quote from: razorback1829 on March 24, 2018, 04:23:15 pm
Just stating a couple of facts. Not saying he can't coach. But I bet if we let it play out it won't be as pretty as it is right now. CMA has done what Beard did twice in separate vonfrences.
Anderson finished second in the Big 12 at Mizzou?  Maybe he did but I thought he did not.  Too lazy to google it.  Watching Loyola and KState. 

Beard has been impressive.  We'll see if he can keep it going.  I bet he does. 

golfinpig

If someone can watch a Beard coached team and an MA coached team and not see a difference in fundamentals and preparation then I give up.

31to6

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 24, 2018, 05:49:01 pm
Anderson finished second in the Big 12 at Mizzou?  Maybe he did but I thought he did not.  Too lazy to google it.  Watching Loyola and KState. 

Beard has been impressive.  We'll see if he can keep it going.  I bet he does.

No. E8 team finished 3rd.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

steveaustin69

March 24, 2018, 09:38:22 pm #48 Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 09:48:51 pm by steveaustin69

Mike's been to the elite eight once. Jesus, I knew you were biased; didn't know you were that dumb.

HogBreath

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 24, 2018, 08:01:37 pm
No. E8 team finished 3rd.
Yeah, magical times there at Mizzou for the fast forty, they finished 3rd once, fifth twice, 6th once, and 9th once.

No wonder we felt like we were ready to take on Duke and UNC every game when we got Mike.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?