Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 24, 2024, 11:23:36 pm

RPI

Started by BannerMountainMan, February 18, 2018, 10:07:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BannerMountainMan

According to ESPN we are RPI 25, A&M is RPI 21, we have 2 games better than them overall and in SEC play, and they are a 6 seed and we are a 9, explain this to me?
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Hoggish1

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 18, 2018, 10:07:13 am
According to ESPN we are RPI 25, A&M is RPI 21, we have 2 games better than them overall and in SEC play, and they are a 6 seed and we are a 9, explain this to me?

Explain ESPiN to me then we can begin to analyze the problem

Lud42

Computers love their wins over:
W. Virginia
USC
Missouri
Arkansas
Auburn
Kentucky

and they don't really have a bad loss (LSU is worst).

As far as the seeding, I don't think the prognosticators have noticed the mess that aTm backcourt has become.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken

jjdlc

Explain why they were ranked yesterday.  For some reason all the pollsters, be it human or computer have an Aggie fetish this year.

The_Iceman

Our "quality" non conference win a keep getting worse and worse. Oklahoma, Minnesota, UConn, etc.

Lud42

They started the season looking like a top 5 team and were ranked accordingly. When they had the horrible start to conference play, I think a lot of pollsters chalked it up to the injuries and suspensions (fair enough, I think). Then, coming into this week they had won six of their last eight including wins last week over Auburn and Kentucky so I think pollsters thought they were through the injuries and suspensions and had finally righted the ship.

Not saying I agree, but I think that is probably the explanation. They won't be ranked this week, so not a big deal.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.--H.L. Mencken

Atlhogfan1

jjdlc - When full strength they are a top 25 team. They got ranked for one week after winning 4 straight over Hogs SC AU and UK.  Pollsters thought the Aggies had put it back together.  You won't see them ranked again. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 18, 2018, 10:31:28 am
Our "quality" non conference win a keep getting worse and worse. Oklahoma, Minnesota, UConn, etc.
Minnesota had their best player when we played them and were ranked.they don't have him now and it has killed their season.OU is going to be in the Dance.hogs have beat a lot of good teams.
Tennessee
Mizzp
OU
A&M
OK.State. OSU has road wins at Florida State,and AT W.VA.
Minnesota when they were at full speed and ranked
But a hater like you would not want to see this.

riccoar

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 18, 2018, 10:07:13 am
Arkansas wins 3 of the final 4, and you will see us switch places.  Wins against Kentucky and Auburn would be HUGE.

Hog_Fink

Quote from: riccoar on February 18, 2018, 10:54:49 am
Arkansas wins 3 of the final 4, and you will see us switch places.  Wins against Kentucky and Auburn would be HUGE.

if we beat Kentucky and Auburn we can afford to lose maybe both of those road games & should still be a 6 or 7 imo.. if we take care of business in the tourney

raz1965

I think 2 more home win would be enough but how sweet if they could add a road win.

NuttinItUp

jgphillips3

Quote from: riccoar on February 18, 2018, 10:54:49 am

That key Auburn injury couldn't have come at a better time for us.  It now looks possible we could go 3-1 down the stretch (and 4-0 is certainly not impossible, even if unlikely).  We just need to keep improving on defense and not return to forgetting about Gafford.

GoHogs1091

We only have 2 decent non-conference wins, against Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

Our non-conference win against Oklahoma at one point was a good win, but they are on a slide and now it is just a decent non-conference win.

The_Iceman

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 18, 2018, 10:42:18 am
Minnesota had their best player when we played them and were ranked.they don't have him now and it has killed their season.OU is going to be in the Dance.hogs have beat a lot of good teams.
Tennessee
Mizzp
OU
A&M

Jesus dude. You are not even arguing with what I said. The games that we once looked at as quality non conference wins are dropping in quality. We have good wins, yes, but if OU and Minnesota would have remained top 25 teams, what would have helped us. Sorry, I guess making that statement makes me a hater somehow.

The_Iceman

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 18, 2018, 04:14:15 pm
We only have 2 decent non-conference wins, against Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

Our non-conference win against Oklahoma at one point was a good win, but they are on a slide and now it is just a decent non-conference win.

hater.you made a negative statement against a Mike Anderson opponent.go kick rocks.how dare you state the truth like that.hater.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 18, 2018, 01:21:10 pm
SOS

This.

Our SOS is fixing to shoot up these next two weeks win or lose.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 18, 2018, 10:42:18 am
Tennessee
Mizzp
OU
A&M

Hogs' OOC looked really, really good for awhile, but it's fallen off dramatically ...

* OU has fallen hard and fast ... 5 Ls in a row, dropping their RPI from Top 10 to mid-30s, and thus diminishing Hogs' best OOC win and best "away from home" win.
* MN lost more than just one of its 2 big men (Lynch was expelled), it lost its best overall player in Coffey (injury) for weeks, and had others hobbled at times. When Arkansas beat the Gophers in Fayetteville, they were still ranked Top 15 and were RPI Top 35-40 ... RPI/SOS doesn't take that into account, but it was definitely a quality win. Current RPI is No. 140.
* UConn is another team that was likely tracking RPI Top 75 but also suffered suspensions and injuries. Current RPI is No. 108.
* OKSt has won at FSU, at WVa, AND at Kansas, but the Cowboys have lost their last 3 home games against TCU, Baylor, and K-State -- at 15-12 their current RPI is No. 105.

la20688

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on February 18, 2018, 07:17:04 pm
Hogs' OOC looked really, really good for awhile, but it's fallen off dramatically ...

* OU has fallen hard and fast ... 5 Ls in a row, dropping their RPI from Top 10 to mid-30s, and thus diminishing Hogs' best OOC win and best "away from home" win.
* MN lost more than just one of its 2 big men (Lynch was expelled), it lost its best overall player in Coffey (injury) for weeks, and had others hobbled at times. When Arkansas beat the Gophers in Fayetteville, they were still ranked Top 15 and were RPI Top 35-40 ... RPI/SOS doesn't take that into account, but it was definitely a quality win. Current RPI is No. 140.
* UConn is another team that was likely tracking RPI Top 75 but also suffered suspensions and injuries. Current RPI is No. 108.
* OKSt has won at FSU, at WVa, AND at Kansas, but the Cowboys have lost their last 3 home games against TCU, Baylor, and K-State -- at 15-12 their current RPI is No. 105.
This is a good analysis and spot on. I would hope that the committee does their due diligence in the selection process at least.  I understand there are a lot of other factors in seeding the tournament, but this info is hopefully taken into account during selection.

popcornhog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 18, 2018, 10:09:39 am
Explain ESPiN to me then we can begin to analyze the problem

SOS, quality of wins, and quality of losses.

We're trending in opposite directions though.
WPS

The_Iceman

hater. :)

Hollywood_HOGan45

I cannot stand OU but it wouldn't hurt if they picked it up a little bit. MN and Uconn really fell off.

Turns out our best non SEC wins may be Bucknell and Fresno State.

niels_boar

February 19, 2018, 01:08:01 pm #22 Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:53:25 pm by niels_boar
Quote from: The_Iceman on February 18, 2018, 04:29:38 pm
Jesus dude. You are not even arguing with what I said. The games that we once looked at as quality non conference wins are dropping in quality. We have good wins, yes, but if OU and Minnesota would have remained top 25 teams, what would have helped us. Sorry, I guess making that statement makes me a hater somehow.

I think the point is that we should get more credit from the committee for beating Minnesota than their current standing would imply. Samford had major injuries after playing us.  The exact same team was a top-175 squad last season but is barely top-300 at present.  UConn has had missing pieces.  Since people are capable of processing more info than one number, we ought to get a markup for the nonconference teams that we actually played, not the diminished ones that ended the season.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.