Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Things Gruden--MERGED

Started by jbcarol, April 15, 2012, 03:05:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorbackers

Quote from: King Kong on November 11, 2017, 04:53:36 pm
Kids everywhere would line up to play for him. He would not fail.

Why? He's a talking head on ESPN.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Sed76

Kids lined up to play for Butch Jones as well and we see how that worked out. Talent wise the Vols aren't hurting. I think it would be hilarious if they threw some absurd amount to get the guy then ended up with similar results as to what they are getting right now.

jbcarol

Pat Forde gives strong opinion about chance of Jon Gruden coaching Tennessee

QuoteDon't waste time with the revived Grumors (3) — Jon Gruden is not walking off that private plane in Knoxville as the next coach of Tennessee. Athletic director John Currie could do worse than Memphis' Mike Norvell (4), although he might bear uncomfortable resemblance to Jones as an American Athletic Conference-level coach who is still riding the momentum of the successful previous regime — Norvell is to Justin Fuente at Memphis as Jones is to Brian Kelly at Cincinnati.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Sed76 on November 13, 2017, 11:24:58 am
Kids lined up to play for Butch Jones as well and we see how that worked out. Talent wise the Vols aren't hurting. I think it would be hilarious if they threw some absurd amount to get the guy then ended up with similar results as to what they are getting right now.

Yep Saban would beat Gruden by 40 and their fans would be talking about how much of a mistake it would be

King Kong

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 13, 2017, 11:22:24 am
Why? He's a talking head on ESPN.

? He won a SB. Has tremendous personality. Easily on of the top 10 most recognizable coaches in all of football

Shocktheman

Quote from: Sed76 on November 13, 2017, 11:24:58 am

Agree.  Vols have talent all over the field.  Comes down to Xs and Os no matter how popular a coach may be.  Managing to recruit the best talent to your school is akin to a general manager of a pro team.  After that. . . still just Xs and Os.  Butch Jones did not put his team in a position to execute with said talent.  The next guy in line may be able to more aptly manage another guys talent . . .better Xs and Os. 

The Hawg Marshal

Of all the unknowns he is probably the biggest. Dynamic personality won the Super Bowl ,major name recognition. Flip side, he's never been a college coach and hasn't coached in almost a decade. He could be a major hire or a colossal failure. Predicting how he'd do is next to impossible. Maybe UT pulls it off and then we can finally see.

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

rhog1

With all the cuts at ESPN and the new round of layoffs coming i wonder if Gruden isn't being asked to move on from the network. That could explain some of why the Gruden to Tennessee seems serious this time. 

clutch

Quote from: King Kong on November 14, 2017, 09:00:06 am
? He won a SB. Has tremendous personality. Easily on of the top 10 most recognizable coaches in all of football

Not with the younger generation. He's probably not even the biggest name out of work coach out there right now. Way more kids know who Les Miles is.

jbcarol

Any time there is a coaching vacancy in the NFL or at a big-time college program, ESPN broadcaster Jon Gruden always appears as a potential hire. It's not surprising. He is an intelligent coach, who has the ability to communicate with everyone. There is an itch broadcasting can't scratch...

QuoteGruden is linked to rumors of coaching college football at Tennessee, even reportedly contacting coaches to be on his staff. Where there is smoke, there is fire, and Gruden is in middle of it all. Even if he doesn't take this job, he will be coaching again before you know it. Just hear what he had to say on the Rich Eisen Show:

I have talked to people in years past. I plan on keeping my options open. If something comes along down the road, we'll take a look at it.

There is no way Gruden walks away from such an easy life to get thrown back into the meat grinder...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Kenny Dowell Loggains

He will probably get Dorial Green Beckham going to sign here

He's big on Solomon Thomas & Michael Dyer from what I hear.  He will probably sign them

Hogs49ers

Could it be?? I like what I am seeing here! :)
SCREW Vandy!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: clutch on November 14, 2017, 02:08:24 pm
Not with the younger generation. He's probably not even the biggest name out of work coach out there right now. Way more kids know who Les Miles is.

Everyone recognizes him from his 1000 commercials and Monday night football.

Its absurd to think more kids recognize Les Miles over the Monday Night football guy.

If you are outside the SEC footprint very few could recognize Les Miles. Gruden is nationwide

clutch

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 15, 2017, 07:52:39 pm
Everyone recognizes him from his 1000 commercials and Monday night football.

Its absurd to think more kids recognize Les Miles over the Monday Night football guy.

If you are outside the SEC footprint very few could recognize Les Miles. Gruden is nationwide

I'm just going by the 50+ high school football players that I'm around daily. They pay 0 attention to announcers, but they know who the crazy LSU coach was. You'd be surprised how little football high school football players watch. They have better things to do, and usually the last thing they want to do after getting out of a long Monday full of football practice is to go home and watch more football

Hawg Life

At least Tennessee dreams BIG!!! We want a retread!!

Bubba's Bruisers

Who do you recommend we hire?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

HogPharmer

As has been asked a million times on here, what makes Gruden a BIG hire?
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

hotdog hog

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 15, 2017, 08:34:08 pm
At least Tennessee dreams BIG!!! We want a retread!!
How much recruiting has he done? That's the name of the game now.

Hawginj

Norvell, Campbell, Frost, Wilson, Brown, Venables,  are all great options.

King Kong

Quote from: Hawginj on November 15, 2017, 08:37:23 pm
Norvell, Campbell, Frost, Wilson, Brown, Venables,  are all great options.

Campbell is not an option for anyone that buyout is huge.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 15, 2017, 08:34:47 pm
Who do you recommend we hire?

Mike Norvell. We won't be able to get top 10 recruiting classes and go 8-5. If Gus averages 8 wins with top 10 talent what makes you think he'd average 7 wins here, he won't. Gus is where he belongs. Norvell is only 36, just recruited the highest class ever @ Memphis, and we're moving forward. Norvell doesn't have the baggage.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 15, 2017, 08:39:41 pm
Mike Norvell. We won't be able to get top 10 recruiting classes and go 8-5. If Gus averages 8 wins with top 10 talent what makes you think he'd average 7 wins here, he won't. Gus is where he belongs. Norvell is only 36, just recruited the highest class ever @ Memphis, and we're moving forward. Norvell doesn't have the baggage.

So you're suggesting that dreaming big equals Norvell?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

bob slydell

Apparently because he beat Georgia and had some miracle finishes in his first season at Auburn.  I've been told he isn't mediocre because of those two things.   ::)
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Hawginj

Quote from: King Kong on November 15, 2017, 08:38:33 pm
Campbell is not an option for anyone that buyout is huge.
if rumors are true and we are offering Gus 6.4 million a year then we can afford the buyout

johnny cash

Get ready for Kiffin.

Hawginj

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 15, 2017, 08:41:45 pm
He could very well be the lighting rod we have been needing.

Hawginj

Quote from: johnny cash on November 15, 2017, 08:44:29 pm
Get ready for Kiffin.
I wouldn't be mad at it he can recruit.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 15, 2017, 08:41:45 pm

No, but apparently many of you dream of Gus. Norvell is the perfect fit for us. I don't have a dream hire or at least a realistic dream hire.

PorkSoda

Quote from: johnny cash on November 15, 2017, 08:44:29 pm
Get ready for Kiffin.
talk about reaching for a re tread.  has he had any success whatsoever?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hawginj on November 15, 2017, 08:45:21 pm
He could very well be the lighting rod we have been needing.

I'm sure many could be that lighting rod.  I'm just surprised that dreaming big for us equals Norvell. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HogPharmer on November 15, 2017, 08:35:30 pm
As has been asked a million times on here, what makes Gruden a BIG hire?
What made Pete Carroll a good hire?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

PorkSoda

I'm thinking we go with Kevin Kelley.  that there is a true innovator.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 15, 2017, 08:47:00 pm
No, but apparently many of you dream of Gus. Norvell is the perfect fit for us. I don't have a dream hire or at least a realistic dream hire.

I don't dream of Gus.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Hawginj on November 15, 2017, 08:44:05 pm
if rumors are true and we are offering Gus 6.4 million a year then we can afford the buyout

Tennessee has Grumors, we dream of mediocrity which is what Gus will bring.

Boardon Hamsay

Some folks that had influence on today's news will likely have influence on the primary candidate for HC.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

RaisinHog

I don't understand why u wouldn't be happy with Gus he has been too a national title game .. none of those other Yahoo's have

Hawg Life

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on November 15, 2017, 08:48:54 pm
Some folks that had influence on today's news will likely have influence on the primary candidate for HC.

Jeff Long fired himself and got a $4.5 million dollar golden parachute.. that's winning, not losing.

HogPharmer

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 15, 2017, 08:47:42 pm
I'm thinking we go with Kevin Kelley.  that there is a true innovator.

Bama would love it if we never punted.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Hawginj

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 15, 2017, 08:47:07 pm
I'm sure many could be that lighting rod.  I'm just surprised that dreaming big for us equals Norvell.
why? Is it that hard to believe hes a good fit. I believe his offense would give opponets fits. His defense hasnt been great but they give up less points than we do and have been very good at causing turnovers.

Hawginj

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 15, 2017, 08:48:08 pm
Tennessee has Grumors, we dream of mediocrity which is what Gus will bring.
I believe you are correct

Hawg Life

Quote from: RaisinHog on November 15, 2017, 08:49:48 pm
I don't understand why u wouldn't be happy with Gus he has been too a national title game .. none of those other Yahoo's have

I want consistent success not a one off. They've finished in the top 10 in recruiting every year, and average 8 wins. That includes Cam (who they paid $180k) who wouldn't have come here, and Stidham a preseason Heisman candidate who wouldn't have come here either.

Scott7703

Gruden isn't going to Tennessee.

Hawginj

Kiffin has, Venables has, Gus went with Chizik then went with Chiziks players.so there's that.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hawginj on November 15, 2017, 08:51:55 pm
why? Is it that hard to believe hes a good fit. I believe his offense would give opponets fits. His defense hasnt been great but they give up less points than we do and have been very good at causing turnovers.

Don't misunderstand.  I have no problem with your boy.  I'm just surprised that he's considered a dream hire at this point.

HogPharmer

So we're gonna put our hopes on one opposing team tipping a Hail Mary into the air and us running into the ball catching it to score a last second touchdown AND on Bama missing a 50-something yard field goal which we return 100 yards to win the game to get us to a NC? Sound logic.

Hawginj

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 15, 2017, 08:55:21 pm
Don't misunderstand.  I have no problem with your boy.  I'm just surprised that he's considered a dream hire at this point.
I can see that I didn t think much about it either until I started digging into it.

HoggyCat

But Norvell took over a winning G5 program. A little different than walking into the SECW with a depleted Arkansas roster.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Hawg Life

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 15, 2017, 10:53:34 pm
But Norvell took over a winning G5 program. A little different than walking into the SECW with a depleted Arkansas roster.

14 players Norvell recruited are starters, including Ferguson. He lost a 1st round QB that was Fuente's QB. Fuente went to Arizona State to study Norvell's offense after he took the Va.Tech job. Spend some time and see that Graham who was HC over both Gus & Norvell as coordinators say that Norvell was the best coach he's ever seen. Norvell is best for us now..