Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Equifax hacked

Started by PorkSoda, September 08, 2017, 02:28:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

September 08, 2017, 02:28:25 pm Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:46:24 pm by PorkSoda
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/07/pf/victim-equifax-hack-how-to-find-out/index.html

"Equifax said Thursday that 143 million people could be affected by a recent data breach in which cybercriminals stole information including names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses, and the numbers of some driver's licenses.

Additionally, credit card numbers for about 209,000 people were exposed, as was "personal identifying information" on roughly 182,000 customers involved in credit report disputes."

on a side note I do think its funny that they announce they have been hacked and your personal information was stolen, then offer you to sign up for there ID Protection service for free where you would of course have to give them your personal information that just got hacked. (oh and agree not to sue them for losing your personal information)
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HawgWild

Yep and it's pure coincidence that 3 high ranking company officers sold shares worth $1.8 million in the days after the breech was detected. Nothing to see here folks.

On another note, I was reading the annual privacy policy for my credit card. Try as I might to limit what personal information is out there, they are sure free with passing around what they have on me.

hog.goblin

Equifax has removed the arbitration waiver for free sign-up

A little late, and I suspect they have some officers who do some prison time.  Martha Stewart looks pretty clean compared to this.

McKdaddy

Quote from: hog.goblin on September 14, 2017, 07:17:34 am
Equifax has removed the arbitration waiver for free sign-up

Glad to hear this.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HawgWild

You can sleep well at night knowing your most personal information is being guarded by a Music major.

"Equifax "Chief Security Officer" Susan Mauldin has a bachelor's degree and a master of fine arts degree in music composition from the University of Georgia. Her LinkedIn professional profile lists no education related to technology or security."

PorkSoda

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/21/552681357/after-massive-data-breach-equifax-directed-customers-to-fake-site

and now they link people to a fake phishing site to check if their personal info was hacked.  lol

"After a cyberattack that potentially exposed the personal information of 143 million people, the credit reporting agency Equifax set up a website to help people determine whether they had been affected, www.equifaxsecurity2017.com.

However, on multiple occasions over the span of weeks, the company's official Twitter account responded to customer inquiries by apparently directing them to a fake phishing site called www.securityequifax2017.com.

Luckily, the fake site — blocked or flagged by many Internet browsers, then taken down Wednesday afternoon — was set up by software engineer Nick Sweeting to educate people, rather than to steal their information. A banner on the top read: "Cybersecurity Incident & Important Consumer Information Which Is Totally Fake, Why Did Equifax Use A Domain That's So Easily Impersonated By Phishing Sites?"
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hog.goblin

The Internal Revenue Service has temporarily suspended its $7.25 million contract with Equifax after the company admitted to finding a malware link on its website on the heels of a data breach that exposed the personal information of approximately 146 million people in the U.S.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 18, 2017, 02:46:17 pm
The Internal Revenue Service has temporarily suspended its $7.25 million contract with Equifax after the company admitted to finding a malware link on its website on the heels of a data breach that exposed the personal information of approximately 146 million people in the U.S.
Still not sure why the IRS would find reason(s) to suspend the contract. After all, they typically to take the "Alfred E Newman"/Congressional approach to taxpayer's money: "What, me worry" ??? :-X :o Besides, it's not MY money.

hog.goblin

And now Uber hacked, and paid $100K grand to keep it quiet and prevent the hackers from doing anything with it:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-21/uber-concealed-cyberattack-that-exposed-57-million-people-s-data