Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rental Homes

Started by Monk-N-Dunk, February 20, 2017, 12:12:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Monk-N-Dunk

Any of you in Rental homes; specially with a partner? I have a tax question that I couldn't find an answer to.

widespreadsooie

What's your question?

You will need to allocate your income and expenses appropriately if your invested with a one or more partners.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Monk-N-Dunk on February 20, 2017, 12:12:30 pm
Any of you in Rental homes; specially with a partner? I have a tax question that I couldn't find an answer to.

What's the question?

Monk-N-Dunk

To get standard 30 year financing, my partner and I had to stay away from a llc. Instead, we signed a joint partnership. We will put the first house in my name, the second on his, third in my name, etc. We will do this until we reach the max in a personal name which is 5. After that, we would have to create a llc. How do we approach taxes if the first home is in my name and not his? It sounds like I'd benefit from depreciation or losses but he wouldn't. Thoughts?

widespreadsooie

I would wait for hog.goblin's response on this one but I believe you can share the income and deductions however you would like regardless of who's personal name assumes the financing on each home. 

RivercrestHog

Quote from: Monk-N-Dunk on February 21, 2017, 08:22:58 am
To get standard 30 year financing, my partner and I had to stay away from a llc. Instead, we signed a joint partnership. We will put the first house in my name, the second on his, third in my name, etc. We will do this until we reach the max in a personal name which is 5. After that, we would have to create a llc. How do we approach taxes if the first home is in my name and not his? It sounds like I'd benefit from depreciation or losses but he wouldn't. Thoughts?

I don't know the answer to your question, but if you're gonna get into the rental game, then I would recommend finding a good CPA with real estate experience. He'll pay for himself.

I'd also recommend checking out biggerpockets.com. It's a large real estate community that has lots of good info.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Monk-N-Dunk on February 21, 2017, 08:22:58 am

Treat as a joint venture and each of you report 1/2 the results equally.  On most of these we'll report 100% of the activity to match any 1099s and then our software will take a 50% allocation at the bottom of schedule E.  In my case I like to be one preparing the schedule E and related depreciation (so I know it's right) and then provide a copy of it to the other partner.

je100

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 22, 2017, 02:51:37 am
Treat as a joint venture and each of you report 1/2 the results equally.  On most of these we'll report 100% of the activity to match any 1099s and then our software will take a 50% allocation at the bottom of schedule E.  In my case I like to be one preparing the schedule E and related depreciation (so I know it's right) and then provide a copy of it to the other partner.

Why wouldn't a 1065 work?  Would the tax filing method (whether divided individually without a pass-thru as you suggested, or by 1065) affect the legality of the ownership of assets, and visa versa?

Or maybe I misunderstood......

hog.goblin

Quote from: je100 on February 22, 2017, 07:59:40 am
Why wouldn't a 1065 work?  Would the tax filing method (whether divided individually without a pass-thru as you suggested, or by 1065) affect the legality of the ownership of assets, and visa versa?

Or maybe I misunderstood......

Practically speaking I wouldn't have a problem with that.  But if they are buying more homes the lender may get confused by assets titled in their individual names being listed in a partnership name and EIN for tax purposes.

je100

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 22, 2017, 08:24:43 am
Practically speaking I wouldn't have a problem with that.  But if they are buying more homes the lender may get confused by assets titled in their individual names being listed in a partnership name and EIN for tax purposes.

True.