Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

8 games that could have made you a Bielemer

Started by From Tusk Till Dawn, November 10, 2017, 02:59:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

From Tusk Till Dawn

I joined this site because I thought it would be fun talking football with other fans.  I have to admit it is a little addictive but not really fun, kinda like watching a car accident.  Everyone is angry, the whole state is divided on what to do with our coach and there is even names for the groups, Bielemers and Non-Bielemers.  As the season has progressed, most Bielemers have started to convert.  It's understandable because we have under-performed and disappointed.   I was tempted after South Carolina but figured what the hell, might as well ride it out because we could still make a bowl.  But I got to wondering, is it possible for a conversion from a Non-Bielemer to a Bielemer.  Based on what I've seen from the boards, for most even winning out wouldn'tt be enough for a reversal to occur.  So I had to ponder on specifically what got people off the bandwagon.  I narrowed it down to 8 games.  If the outcome of these 8 games would have been different, CBB would be as respected as CBP and could have likely prevented a Non-Bielemer movement and converted some who were naysayers from the beginning.
(disclaimer: I don't have an agenda, I realize that the outcomes weren't different, I understand most still want to fire the coach, but relax, it's Friday and its just a message board) 

TAMU - Kenny "trill" Hill overcomes a 2 touchdown deficit and throws a game winning TD in OT (hate that guy)
BAMA - a real smash mouth football game in the rain.  The 64 champs were honored, but... a PAT was blocked and we lose 14-13.
Miss St. - Dak Prescott's Bulldogs are #1 in the nation.  Down 14-10, Brandon Allen drives the team to the red zone for the tie but throws an interception with 15 seconds left that seals it.

Toledo - Holy Toledo (they actually were pretty good, won 10 games).  We had our chances, Cornelius had a punt return erased, but this one is likely remembered for BA's pass that donked off the goal post. 
Miss St. - BA lit these guys up, we march down the field for the game winning 29 yard field goal but Hedlund is blocked and the entire state is wondering what just happened. 
TAMU - Hogs lead entire game, a 2 pt conversion allows ATM to force overtime and then... Christian frickin Kirk

Mizzou-the Hogs are up 24-7 at half, donut holes the rest of the way.  Mizzou's trash-talking LB wins the day, I'm still scratching my head
V-tech - 24-0 Hogs at half, WTH

If these 8 games would have gone differently, this is what CBB would look like
2014   10-3 (5-3)
2015   11-2 (7-1)
2016     9-4 (4-4)

We were so "Close"...

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

NuttinItUp

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Sho Nuff

While I don't disagree with you, I think the same could be said for any team with similar records.

longtimeHogfan

I confess, I was a Bielemer through-n-through.  I thought BB was a great hire and thought he was doing everything right.  Nobody wanted him to succeed more than me.  Alas, I'm five years older and wiser now.....
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

hawgmasta

WaltonCollege

Calling All Hogs

Imagine how much better off the program would be today if we had fired Bielema and hired Toledo's coach back in 2015.

hotdog hog

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on November 10, 2017, 03:26:44 pm
I confess, I was a Bielemer through-n-through.  I thought BB was a great hire and thought he was doing everything right.  Nobody wanted him to succeed more than me.  Alas, I'm five years older and wiser now.....
This is me!

Vantage 8 dude

Will have to agree and confess that I too thought it was a pretty good hire. Unfortunately after the meltdowns at the end of last season AND the disappointing performance (again) against TAM and the fiasco that was USCe he finally lost me. Yep, as with everyone else I'm five years older; however, I have to confess I'm not sure how much wiser I am ;) :) :D

BTW throw in a ninth game: the unexplainable loss to TTU in Fayetteville circa 2015.

shown006

That 2015 team should've done a lot better.  Had the talent.  At 7-1, would've been in 3 way tie for 1st in the West.
WPS!

hawgmasta

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on November 10, 2017, 03:29:08 pm
Imagine how much better off the program would be today if we had fired Bielema and hired Toledo's coach back in 2015.

For real. That one isn't as bad now looking back considering he's the current Tom Herman type can't miss up and comer.

All those games were winnable, and to be honest I think winning 4 of those would still have him coming back next year but here we are, past records etched in stone.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Sho Nuff on November 10, 2017, 03:23:55 pm
While I don't disagree with you, I think the same could be said for any team with similar records.
True, but Im home with a sick kid so I had some time to burn.  I tried to pick games that were pivotal and were on the cusp of winning vs like TTech wher we should have one but werent close

jgphillips3

I thought he was a terrible hire for all the reasons we have seen play out.  However, I really, really hoped I was wrong.  After seeing us fight hard and go toe to toe with tough teams in 2014, I even began to think maybe he could do it.  But the coaching changes kept coming and assistants were being replaced by worse and worse hires. 

2015 has near losses, plus the awful losses, but Enos and BA caught fire so I hoped it was just a transitional thing.  Last year, as the defense finally fell apart completely and the offensive line began its disintegration, I feared that my initial fears were coming true.  This year, all those fears were realized.

All that said, the need to fire Bielema doesn't rest so much on individual games' outcome, but on the completevand total failure to properly coach, oversee and prepare a team for the last 2-3 years.  Enos has done the best he can despite being saddled with that clown Anderson giving him the worst line in football to deal with, but defense...my Lord...the defense. 

PorkRinds

Same.

HungryHog

Tenn 24-20
Auburn in 4OT
Ole Miss - Henry Heave

LA Tech by 1
TCU in 2OT

flip those games and both seasons are 5-7 with no bowl.

so close

Bebop

Quote from: shown006 on November 10, 2017, 03:33:41 pm
That 2015 team should've done a lot better.  Had the talent.  At 7-1, would've been in 3 way tie for 1st in the West.

His best team and we underachieved.

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on November 10, 2017, 02:59:26 pm

Toledo - Holy Toledo (they actually were pretty good, won 10 games).  We had our chances, Cornelius had a punt return erased, but this one is likely remembered for BA's pass that donked off the goal post. 
Miss St. - BA lit these guys up, we march down the field for the game winning 29 yard field goal but Hedlund is blocked and the entire state is wondering what just happened. 
TAMU - Hogs lead entire game, a 2 pt conversion allows ATM to force overtime and then... Christian frickin Kirk

You forgot Texas Tech. The back-to-back losses to Toledo and Tech.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: HungryHog on November 10, 2017, 03:49:55 pm
Tenn 24-20
Auburn in 4OT
Ole Miss - Henry Heave

LA Tech by 1
TCU in 2OT

so close
Yes, fair point, could have been worse just as easily as it could have been better.

bkjbearcat

You also forgot 2013 game between Rutgers, Ole Miss, Miss St and LSU.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

LRHawg

The game we lost to Bama by a missed field goal. I was sick at my stomach, they were garbage that day but we didn't have the stomach to step up and take the win. Bad special teams and awful defense have been the hallmark of CBB's Arkansas teams.

BigE_23

November 10, 2017, 04:10:48 pm #20 Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 04:23:45 pm by BigE_23
Quote from: HungryHog on November 10, 2017, 03:49:55 pm
Tenn 24-20
Auburn in 4OT
Ole Miss - Henry Heave

LA Tech by 1
TCU in 2OT

so close

To me, this illustrates just how far away we really are, rather than how close we could have been. We've never been more than a middling, underachieving football team under Bert. It was a bad hire all the way around.

zuko

Quote from: BigE_23 on November 10, 2017, 04:10:48 pm
To me, this illustrates just how far we really are, rather than how close we could have been. We've never been more than a middling, underachieving football team under Bert. It was a bad hire all the way around.
I joined this site because I thought it would be fun talking football with other fans.  I have to admit it is a little addictive but not really fun, kinda like watching a car accident.  Everyone is angry, the whole state is divided on what to do with our coach and there is even names for the groups, Bielemers and Non-Bielemers.  As the season has progressed, most Bielemers have started to convert.  It's understandable because we have under-performed and disappointed.   I was tempted after South Carolina but figured what the hell, might as well ride it out because we could still make a bowl.  But I got to wondering, is it possible for a conversion from a Non-Bielemer to a Bielemer.  Based on what I've seen from the boards, for most even winning out wouldn'tt be enough for a reversal to occur.  So I had to ponder on specifically what got people off the bandwagon.  I narrowed it down to 8 games.  If the outcome of these 8 games would have been different, CBB would be as respected as CBP and could have likely prevented a Non-Bielemer movement and converted some who were naysayers from the beginning.
(disclaimer: I don't have an agenda, I realize that the outcomes weren't different, I understand most still want to fire the coach, but relax, it's Friday and its just a message board) 

TAMU - Kenny "trill" Hill overcomes a 2 touchdown deficit and throws a game winning TD in OT (hate that guy)
BAMA - a real smash mouth football game in the rain.  The 64 champs were honored, but... a PAT was blocked and we lose 14-13.
Miss St. - Dak Prescott's Bulldogs are #1 in the nation.  Down 14-10, Brandon Allen drives the team to the red zone for the tie but throws an interception with 15 seconds left that seals it.

Mizzou-the Hogs are up 24-7 at half, donut holes the rest of the way.  Mizzou's trash-talking LB wins the day, I'm still scratching my head

2014   10-3 (5-3)
2015   11-2 (7-1)
2016     9-4 (4-4)

We were so "Close"...

I don't think so. If that is/was the case, there are a lot of bad coaches out there that are still in the same place, because those games did go the other way. I mean do we have to put Saban's name up every time we want to show an example. The biggest reason he is successful because he made steady progress from the beginning and now prospects have no problem signing up with Alabama when invited. Bielema went backward with the program and after  a bad game knew all the problems but didn't fix. them. He got too enamored with Austin Allen and didn't recognize that he got worse after last year. He has a diamond in the rough with Kelley but refused to try to develop him during the off season and develop him during training a give him a shot. Two better players make a big difference on a team. It's Jeff Long's problem he got too convinced that Bielema was his guy because of his success at Wisconsin but Wisconsin isn't the SEC.
Too, someone mentioned that if you did flip those games you'd be 5-7 both times bowl eligible, yes but consider that at least two of those games were hired to lose games at t he rate of 1 million per. I mean how can a team feel good about going to a bowl when you only have 5 wins and two of them were setups. Boo

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: bkjbearcat on November 10, 2017, 03:59:09 pm
You also forgot 2013 game between Rutgers, Ole Miss, Miss St and LSU.
Yes, I left 2013 alone since it was his first year and people gave him the benefit of the doubt since it was the start of a rebuild.  Still should have done better than a donut in sec play imo.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on November 10, 2017, 04:27:10 pm
Yes, I left 2013 alone since it was his first year and people gave him the benefit of the doubt since it was the start of a rebuild.  Still should have done better than a donut in sec play imo.

Looking back, that first year there were many red flags that this was not the guy.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

jgphillips3

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on November 10, 2017, 04:27:10 pm

By the way, it will get better.  I've been here through Nutt, Petrino, Smile and now Bielema. 

texas tush hog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 10, 2017, 03:23:18 pm
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Or as Lou Holtz used to say,"barely dying."

kodiakisland

Couldn't you say this about any coach?  Jeez, if he'd won those games yeah it would be different. But if Nutt had won more games he'd still be here. Hell, if John L had won 8 more games he'd have probably stuck around longer too. So what?
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Rayzback

Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

LRrazorback

welchog

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: kodiakisland on November 10, 2017, 05:19:52 pm
Couldn't you say this about any coach?  Jeez, if he'd won those games yeah it would be different. But if Nutt had won more games he'd still be here. Hell, if John L had won 8 more games he'd have probably stuck around longer too. So what?

Yes, its a hypothetical so you could apply it to anyone.  But "anyone" isnt the current HC whose future is in doubt.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 10, 2017, 04:47:28 pm
By the way, it will get better.  I've been here through Nutt, Petrino, Smile and now Bielema.
Me too, Ive just never joined a board till now.  I hope you are right.

Paul

I loved the hire & had hi hopes. What the Wisky fans said about him being a poor late game manager was true. He's a good guy & will do fine.  If we hire Norvell I think we'll be good for a long time

TebowHater

Thanks for taking the time to go through. Interesting thought. No doubt if we had won those as above everyone here would be ecstatic with him.

Unfortunately, we did not, and his consistent ability not to win games we coulda/shoulda is why we are here today. Plus also just general non competetiveness in games where the other team is better.

cjack

Or Bielema could have saved his love letter and we could've had Gundy, the original hire. 

Playing along with the post, I was a non-Bielemer after the first winless SEC record in history, but if every bounce would've gone his way, I'd be happy with those records.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Hogdomer

The 2014 Miss State game was 17-10 when we threw the end zone pick.

hogfooey

If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

GoHogs1091

The Toledo and Texas Tech games (Texas Tech in Fayetteville) were the games that showed that Bielema is not a high-quality Coach.

Texas Tech did not punt during that game in Fayetteville.

When you get out-coached by Kliff Kingsbury, then it is known that your not a great Head Coach.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Hogdomer on November 10, 2017, 10:54:29 pm
The 2014 Miss State game was 17-10 when we threw the end zone pick.
I mentioned going for the tie but put the wrong score.  Good catch, thanks.

East Clintwood

Having an additional 8 wins would be nice.

But we still wouldn't know how to block, or tackle, or cover kicks -- you know, basic football stuff.

And we still wouldn't know what halftime adjustments were, or how to play constantly for an entire ballgame instead of just the 1st half.  And would Bert still need the first half of the season to figure out player combinations that other coaches seem to be able to solve before the season starts?  There's so much wrong with this coaching staff that it's hard to separate them into specific problems.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Sweet Feet

If my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle.

code red

Hmmmm.... all I hear is 4th qtr collapses......8 losses now those losses are blowouts.  Who gives a flip.  Screw style.  Let's get back to winning.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Porkchop#1

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on November 10, 2017, 09:31:20 pm
Me too, Ive just never joined a board till now.  I hope you are right.
What the heck you been waitin on?

IronHog

That's the difference in BP and BB

One coach won the close ones.....the other didn't.  It's a fine line between 10 wins and 6.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on November 11, 2017, 04:31:58 am
What the heck you been waitin on?
I typically just read the boards occasionally to get a feel for mood of the fan base.  I always thought there were too many crazies on them haha. 

BR

2014   10-3 (5-3)
2015   11-2 (7-1)
2016     9-4 (4-4)

We were so "Close"...

Nice read... Thanks    So Close....  DAMN hate to think about it..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Wants2Win

rzrbkman

The 2014 Alabama game was also when Kody Walker was running into the end zone untouched and fumbled the ball at the goal line.

GO

Lol, if you think everyone is angry now you should have been here HDN last couple years. Hogville is a Sunday school class compared to those days.

King Kong