Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks like we've got a running back competition...

Started by HogMantheIntruder, April 16, 2011, 03:59:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogMantheIntruder

We all know what Davis can do, but now Wingo is stepping up, and DJ looks like his old self carrying the pile.  If the O-line can gel, we're gonna have a MEAN running game.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

HogBreath

We're gonna be pretty much loaded at running back, three very good ones, and I look for Kody Walker to be very good also.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HogDaddy

Wingo looking better than he did last year but still wish he would plant his outside foot and get upfield quicker. Thats easy for a 41 yr old with bad knee's to say though!  ;D

redeye

I've said that I was skeptical about Wingo improving, but he has looked much better today.

Pig Worshipper

Until our O-line improves their run blocking we aren't going to have much of a running game. It took us half the year to figure it out last year, hope we get there sooner than that this next year.

hoginator

It's great to see some competition again! KD is the man, but when you have DJ and RWjr pushing you, it's only gonna make you better...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on April 16, 2011, 04:17:01 pm
Until our O-line improves their run blocking we aren't going to have much of a running game. It took us half the year to figure it out last year, hope we get there sooner than that this next year.
Coach K's been had a lot more time with these guys.  They'll gel much quicker than last year.  Question is can they do it before Bama.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: Poppa Tart on April 16, 2011, 04:22:43 pm
Coach K's been had a lot more time with these guys.  They'll gel much quicker than last year.  Question is can they do it before Bama.
That IS the fifty thousand dollar question, right there!

MM-gohogs

Quote from: Poppa Tart on April 16, 2011, 03:59:02 pm
We all know what Davis can do, but now Wingo is stepping up, and DJ looks like his old self carrying the pile.  If the O-line can gel, we're gonna have a MEAN running game.

please dear god, no... Davis is the guy... wingo could've been the guy last year, but he was dancing too much... and DJ is back. they're all going to get touches each game probably. i look at it like this...

KD is the guys he'll get between 18-23 touches per game, depending on what we need, maybe more touches.

RW jr. is going to be our "BIG RB" with the loss of BG. a great catcher out of the back field.
DJ is back, he'll get 1-3, hopefully no more, KO returns with an opportunity to make a HUGE play...

the two and three RBs should each get a total of 10 touches each, on average. maybe more or less but each should get looks, depending on what we need
aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

Smithian

We're going to maul people and it's going to be beautiful.

online-with-swine

We need to start planning ahead and get a big time rb in this next class.  Wingo and KD will be juniors and DJ will be a senior(?). 

MM-gohogs

OL doesn't have to gel and be working full speed in the spring... no one does for that matter, but it's a plus if you're QBs/WRs can throw and catch balls.

OL will be fine, we're huge, we're going to have 11-15 OL that are serious. i don't think we've ever had such talent all over the field...

Bkhardicars

It's great to see Wingo run like the big man he is.. If he keeps progressing that will be quite a 1, 2, 3 punch...The line today was split...No one team had THE best linemen.. I'm betting they get the best ones on the field at the same time and bet they will jell much earlier this year than last.

Laughing Hog

Quote from: Poppa Tart on April 16, 2011, 04:22:43 pm

it would be nice if we could start playing bama later in the year. maybe switch the bama game with the ole piss game...........
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

ThisTeetsTaken

I thought DJ looked great.  I think Wingo has finally figured out how to play college running back.   Davis looks like himself.  Great group of backs to go with our group of receivers.   Gonna be fun to watch this year.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

bigdaddyhawg

Wingo is not there, yet.  He's much better than last fall, and made several very encouraging runs today.

But he still makes tentative cuts and still ran timidly at times.  If he can make another step by this fall, then he'll be a stud.  Just not quite there yet.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

MM-gohogs

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 16, 2011, 10:09:22 pm
Wingo is not there, yet.  He's much better than last fall, and made several very encouraging runs today.

But he still makes tentative cuts and still ran timidly at times.  If he can make another step by this fall, then he'll be a stud.  Just not quite there yet.
wingo will fit in where BG did in the last 6 games once knile was the guy. there was one counter and he came through the hole, didn't get touched and had to get wide to the sideline to miss an arm tackle and had to make a tough angle to turn it up field. at seven yards he held up, i don't know if he was close to the sideline or he though he was too close to the sideline, but he hesitated and then put his head down and got 9 yards, had he not hesitated he probably would've gotten 11 yards or more and moved the sticks. but he ran hard and good.

McmerleHOG

playing bama early in the year will be tough for our O-line, but don't forget they will be breaking in a new QB as well that should be much slower to develop as a starter than wilson.  both teams will be weaker early in the year, so its not totally a loss for us.

we will be much better at RB all around.  having DJ back is big, plus knile and wingo will only be better.  Also green wasn't as good as those 3, so while losing him is hard just because he's such a hard and dedicated worker, we won't miss him on the field.  especially not once petrino gets "his" fullback kiero small in the fall.

Our oline may have some "new" spots, but they are both skilled players that will only develop into great players (cook/peacock).  I don't see either one being a gaping hole in our offense.
Small is the new huge.

MM-gohogs

Quote from: McmerleHOG on April 17, 2011, 10:19:43 pm
playing bama early in the year will be tough for our O-line, but don't forget they will be breaking in a new QB as well that should be much slower to develop as a starter than wilson.  both teams will be weaker early in the year, so its not totally a loss for us.

we will be much better at RB all around.  having DJ back is big, plus knile and wingo will only be better.  Also green wasn't as good as those 3, so while losing him is hard just because he's such a hard and dedicated worker, we won't miss him on the field.  especially not once petrino gets "his" fullback kiero small in the fall.

Our oline may have some "new" spots, but they are both skilled players that will only develop into great players (cook/peacock).  I don't see either one being a gaping hole in our offense.
OL will be great. the two returning starters are solid. we have 4 great options to play OT... between the four: BCook, Peacock, Oden, and Freeman, we're set. the coaches know that, the two starters just have to decide who wants to be the guys. GCook has a huge upper hand and inside track to be the starter. the thing was he played a lot last season as the "fast" OG (grayson) was rotated for GC. i wonder more about how the second team will work. red C was Deacon who played OT last season... i can't remember who the white team had as their other G other than Bailey

GuvHog

Quote from: MM-gohogs on April 17, 2011, 10:05:53 pm
wingo will fit in where BG did in the last 6 games once knile was the guy. there was one counter and he came through the hole, didn't get touched and had to get wide to the sideline to miss an arm tackle and had to make a tough angle to turn it up field. at seven yards he held up, i don't know if he was close to the sideline or he though he was too close to the sideline, but he hesitated and then put his head down and got 9 yards, had he not hesitated he probably would've gotten 11 yards or more and moved the sticks. but he ran hard and good.

That's the major difference between Wingo and Dennis Johnson. Dennis Johnson doesn't hesitate, he just runs over people.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

razorbackfan4life

Quote from: GUVHOG on April 17, 2011, 10:39:06 pm
That's the major difference between Wingo and Dennis Johnson. Dennis Johnson doesn't hesitate, he just runs over people.

And I love every time he does it.  Tough dude

kaiserhog

kaiserhog

I haven't seen one of these spring games on ESPN where the teams looked in mid-season form.

MM-gohogs

Quote from: GUVHOG on April 17, 2011, 10:39:06 pm
i love watching DJ run, his legs move like the Road Runner, nonstop... glad to have him back and hope he has an injury free season.

downsouthhawg72

I think the coaches went in not really caring what Davis did, They mostly wanted to see what Wingo & DJ would do.....But the Running game will be ready by the Alabama game cause K Small will make sure his man is layin on the ground....HE will be the major force in the run game & once he starts hitting people the running game will be a force.
DownSouthHawg

bennyl08

With the loaded backfield, the question becomes, how do split the carries. I agree with MM that KD will be "the guy." That way he can get really get in the groove, but I think that DJ will get his fair share of reps as well. Maybe a 65/35 split on carries. However, Wingo could be an amazing 3/4th quarter back especially if he continues to run more physical along with his absolutely blazing speed. Finally, while I'd agree we didn't want to risk injury to KD in spring ball and were intent on letting DJ recover more, Wingo did have the best spring and with our OL still working out the kinks, perhaps Wingo's niche is better suited for our team? All questions I leave in the capable hands of Petrino, pure speculation on my part.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse