Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting acumen?

Started by davehog, November 16, 2017, 12:37:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

davehog

Based purely on recruiting acumen alone and from the list of realistic head coach options, which one would have the ability to be the best recruiter?

Gus
Auburn fans complain he's a below avg. recruiter although they complain only because Bama beats them every year, doesn't necessarily make him a bad recruiter
Auburn mainly recruits in areas that are not good fits for Arkansas  geographically (GA, Bama and FL)
He would be great at building the fence in Arkansas, I don't see him losing any top recruits
He has a NC ring as an OC and was the head coach in a NC game, that's pretty impressive
He wrote a book on the HUNH, don't know if that's cool or not anymore to recruits
Staff - his current staff at Auburn is generally considered to be very good at recruiting

Norvell
I don't really know other than I've read on here that Memphis has landed their best classes during his tenure
Memphis is an area of need for the program although consistently beating out Ole Miss and UT over time is not a high probability
His time at AZ St probably does us no good
Could do very well instate
He's relatively young and from what I can tell from reading about him he's very charismatic
Staff - Big unknown and really the main thing that concerns me about MN

Charlie Strong
Signed great classes at Texas, great experience in that state
Could deliver very compelling stories to top recruits considering Texas
Being from Arkansas would probably do very well in state
Could probably pick off a few quality players from FL every year given his length of time spent coaching there
Don't know if his time at Louisville would be of any benefit or not
Does he have NC rings from when he was at Florida?
Staff - I don't know about his current staff at USF but given his many years of experience at big name schools, I'm fairly confident in making the assumption that he could build a very good staff

Matt Campbell
Don't know much about him other than he's from the Midwest and spent time at Toledo and now IA St
Not sure his past experience does anything for Arkansas
Staff - I don't know
In state - probably about the same as CBB

Are there others that should be on this list?  What are the top coaches in terms of recruiting?

To me, Charlie Strong is #1 on the list of recruiting ability at Arkansas.   

FrozenHam

I'm excited to see Charlie Strong's name on here.  I have not seen him mentioned on many other people's lists.  There may be a reason for that, I dunno'.  I like what I know of him, hope he is interested, and hope he's being considered.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: FrozenHam on November 16, 2017, 02:09:35 pm
I'm excited to see Charlie Strong's name on here.  I have not seen him mentioned on many other people's lists.  There may be a reason for that, I dunno'.  I like what I know of him, hope he is interested, and hope he's being considered.

Did you guys watch Texas play under this guy?   WOW!   TERRIBLE!

Hawginj

Quote from: Hogindasticks on November 16, 2017, 02:17:48 pm
Did you guys watch Texas play under this guy?   WOW!   TERRIBLE!
to be fair to Charlie Texas has their own gobn and they run Texas football and didn't really care for Charlie.

SONofHAM

Recruiters?  May not be a better one for UA than Frank Wilson.

2014 national recruiter of the year
From New Orleans. 
Recruiting areas: LA, TX, MS, TN
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

TeufelHog

Since Gus (and his assistants that may follow him) has coached at Arkansas, Arkansas State, Tulsa, and Auburn he/they will have recruiting ties in AR, AL, FL, GA, LA, MS, OK, TX, and arguably TN (Memphis).  Need I say more?