Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN SEC Blog: Ole Miss pays a price as it sits in NCAA investigation limbo

Started by jbcarol, January 27, 2017, 02:18:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/ESPN_SEC/status/824981197335834624

QuoteAnd at this point, frankly, it doesn't even matter what's the conclusion. Anything is better than this current state of limbo.

Freeze has described himself as "numb" to the never-ending reporting on the subject, and in a letter to Rebs' supporters, athletic director Ross Bjork wrote that "no one wants to see the end more than I do." It's as if all of Oxford, Mississippi, is shouting for something -- anything --

But there appears to be no end in sight, and each passing day without a resolution represents punishment unaccounted, which is crippling Ole Miss' future.

One need only look at recruiting -- the lifeblood of any program --
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/826905595999637504

QuoteFreeze: "I think everyone is excited about today. I think I'm really excited for a different reason than before and probably different than any of your other guests, and that's first that the families chose to come with us during a very difficult time of adversity that we're going through here. And for me, that just means the world. The respect that I have through building the relationships with those families and for them to do that, and then trust in us for who they've got know us (as) and not what other people may say or what may be coming."

Paul Finebaum: "Coach, we were together a couple of weeks ago and I could read it on your face how difficult this season has been and how difficult this long process has been. I know you've addressed it in some places today, but I would like to ask you about the noise out there and what impact if any you think it had on this class."

Hugh Freeze: "Oh, it had a huge impact. I mean, the job our guys do recruiting is second-to-none. We were certainly in the game for some of the nation's top players, really until the end. But because of just the uncertainty, it certainly reared its head as a penalty of sorts that we couldn't close on some of those, I believe. And so, it have an effect, but we rejoice in the ones we've got and the fact that they were able to get past that and look 20 years is this the place that I want my son to play or want to play, and if you know that whatever penalty comes it doesn't impact my scholarship or my development as human being and as a player, is this still the place for you? And the answer to all of those families was "yes," and so we're really grateful for that. But there's no doubt the last year has been really difficult, not only on the field, but probably more difficult than that is just the noise and rhetoric that others choose to use. Some of it could be true, so I can't say that it's totally false. But I know there's certainly a lot of people who like to talk about it."

Paul Finebaum: "When you say 'a lot of people' that could mean a lot of things. Certainly we talk about it in the media, but are talking specifically about other universities using this against you?"

Hugh Freeze: "No doubt there were universities and staffs that chose to talk about us. I'm not privy to the direct conversations so I can't say exactly what was said, but when we were in the battle for a lot of kids it came up with other staffs. I don't go too much on hearsay. I choose not to talk about other staffs and other programs when we're recruiting, and I respect the heck out of those others– and there are many– that do it that way. I do believe there are some that chose to use it to their advantage and that's the choice they had to make."

Paul Finebaum: "You're a coach that, for the most part, has good relationships with other coaches– even those who you compete against at the highest level. Is there anything you can do or can be done when you hear this type of thing?"

Hugh Freeze: "I'm the type of guy who goes straight to people. I'll have conversations with people if I deem that's the right thing to do. Some, I probably don't know well enough and will let it go. It's made my appreciation for the people who do it the right way that much greater, I know that. Many of them are in our conference and my friendship has grown with several of those throughout this just because of the respect that I've gained even more when you're in a great battle with an Alabama or somebody and they do it the right way in recruiting and I respect that."

Paul Finebaum: "Coach, I realize you can only control what you can control. That's a cliche, but it's also true. In regard to what you just got through describing, is there any end in sight? Or what's the timetable?"

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/ESPN_SEC/status/829344758510166019

QuoteAt this time a year ago, Ole Miss had just wrapped up a top-five national recruiting class. The Rebels signed 13 players ranked in the ESPN 300, including five-stars Greg Little and Benito Jones, as well as Shea Patterson, the nation's top dual-threat quarterback. Hugh Freeze even pulled four-star wide receiver A.J. Brown out of enemy territory in Starkville.

Meanwhile, down in Starkville, coach Dan Mullen and Mississippi State put together a class that finished at No. 33.

However, between the Egg Bowl outcome, Mississippi State's bowl victory, and most importantly, the ongoing NCAA investigation at Ole Miss, the balance of power in recruiting has shifted in the past 365 days.

Freeze struggled to put a full class together this year, signing just 21 players and a total of four players ranked in the ESPN 300. The highlight of national signing day for Ole Miss fans was when Tae-Kion Reed, an in-state defensive tackle, picked up a Mississippi State hat and threw it across the room. He then put on an Ole Miss hat to signify his intention to sign with the Rebels.

That didn't sit well with Mississippi State's fans, but ultimately it was Mullen who got the last laugh. The Bulldogs jumped seven spots on signing day and finished with the nation's No. 24 class, 12 spots higher than Ole Miss, according to ESPN.

"I'm guessing because we finished ahead of them, then they'll be talking in the locker rooms, around the water coolers, at the schools -- everywhere in the state," Mullen told ESPN.com. "But I'm sure whenever they finish ahead of us, it's the same going in the opposite direction. When you're in that big of a rivalry, everyone is trying to compete at everything."