Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A&M likes winning again, takes down #8 Auburn on the road

Started by BannerMountainMan, February 07, 2018, 10:12:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BannerMountainMan

I thought y'all said we should have never lost to them at their place because they weren't very good. Bout to beat a top 10 team on the road. Gutsy call to call a block with 2 seconds left
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

NuttinItUp

A&M started the year hot, then fell into a slump. I hope they don't start heating up again.

hogsanity

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 07, 2018, 10:12:14 pm
I thought y'all said we should have never lost to them at their place because they weren't very good. Bout to beat a top 10 team on the road. Gutsy call to call a block with 2 seconds left

1st, it was the ONLY call, guy was in the restricted zone.  And A&M beat an Aub team that did not have their leading scorer most of the game.

Hogs will have a chance to prove they are any good when they host A&M and Aub.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Breems

They've finally turned things around. Pretty sure they've caught up with our conference record.

Also, the official reviews at the end took years. Getting out of control.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

hogsanity

Aub was playing without their best scorer for most of the game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: hogsanity on February 07, 2018, 10:22:01 pm
Aub was playing without their best scorer for most of the game.
I don't guess they will count it as a loss for them then
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

HeyHogs

Love seeing those Auburn fans crying 😢

hogsanity

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 07, 2018, 10:25:31 pm

No, they will, but it does have to be taken into account when analyzing the game. It would be like if Barford or Macon does not play Sat for some reason and Vandy wins, it makes a difference when a teams best player is not playing.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Breems on February 07, 2018, 10:20:00 pm
They've finally turned things around. Pretty sure they've caught up with our conference record.

On paper and the eye test A&M is the best team in the league, they are serious underachievers in my book, I would hate to be a fan.

razCzar

And you would be right.
This needs to be put up once in awhile anyway:

AU   9-2
TN   8-3
FL   7-4
MSU 6-5
KY   6-5
MO   6-5
AL   6-5
AR   5-6
AM   5-6

GA   4-7
LSU 4-7
SC   4-7
OM   4-7
VU   3-8    oops

Dominicanhog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 07, 2018, 10:25:31 pm

No they give them a loss, they just put an * next to the L and say they were missing a player for most of the game.. same with our OSU win..

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 08, 2018, 06:41:52 am
No they give them a loss, they just put an * next to the L and say they were missing a player for most of the game.. same with our OSU win..
yeahhh we get 8 asterisks cause of Garland woohoo

cram224

Moral victory just like taking UNC down to the wire. A loss is a loss.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: razCzar on February 08, 2018, 06:12:50 am
And you would be right.
This needs to be put up once in awhile anyway:

AU   9-2
TN   8-3
FL   7-4
MSU 6-5
KY   6-5
MO   6-5
AL   6-5
AR   5-6
AM   5-6

GA   4-7
LSU 4-7
SC   4-7
OM   4-7
One game away from last and fourth. Crazy
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

BallHog1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 07, 2018, 10:33:14 pm
No, they will, but it does have to be taken into account when analyzing the game. It would be like if Barford or Macon does not play Sat for some reason and Vandy wins, it makes a difference when a teams best player is not playing.
I always hear that when we're missing a player or the refs stink it up we're supposed to overcome that and not make excuses. Guess that doesn't apply to Auburn?

hogsanity

Quote from: BallHog1 on February 08, 2018, 07:55:10 am
I always hear that when we're missing a player or the refs stink it up we're supposed to overcome that and not make excuses. Guess that doesn't apply to Auburn?

When have the Hogs been missing their best scorer or even one of their top 7 or 8 players this year? As for the refs, every LOSING team whines about the refs.

BannerMountainMan

elksnort

Y'all y'all y'all y'all y'all y'all

Paula Dean would be proud.

HamIAm

No kidding.  There was around 1:30 left in the game a minute or two before 10 pm.  I was thinking if they hurried up I could switch over and catch the news. The game ended around 10:18.  It took 20 minutes to play the last 1:30 of the game.  Someone please tell the officials if they can't see a reason to overturn something in a minute they don't need to keep reviewing it for 5 minutes. 

hogsanity

Quote from: HamIAm on February 08, 2018, 08:36:29 am
No kidding.  There was around 1:30 left in the game a minute or two before 10 pm.  I was thinking if they hurried up I could switch over and catch the news. The game ended around 10:18.  It took 20 minutes to play the last 1:30 of the game.  Someone please tell the officials if they can't see a reason to overturn something in a minute they don't need to keep reviewing it for 5 minutes. 

They were not looking to overturn anything. It was timing issues. You know, used to, it was just a given that from the time the whistle blew to when the clock stopped was usually a half second to a second. Well, now, in the last couple minutes anytime they blow the whistle they have to go look to see what the clock was on when the whistle blew. That was the delay on both those reviews. And they did put time back on the clock in both cases.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: BallHog1 on February 08, 2018, 07:55:10 am
nope. That only applies to us when making a point that the team can't handle adversity and/or MA is terrible.
Look at fouls and free throws from the game.
A&M: 20 fouls, 6-9 FT
Auburn: 13 fouls, 21-24 FT
Auburn is a finesse shooting team and A&M likes to bang around. We're not the only team that gets screwed on the road, and we're not the only team that deals with injuries and adversity. You can't expect the team to play at the same level on the road due to the zebras and fans, just like you can't expect a team missing players to play just as well as it does with all its players. All that said, glad that A&M is turning it around. They're going to make the tournament and make our loss to them much more palatable. This also now gives us an opportunity at another good win down the stretch if we can handle them at home.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Cotton

Yet I got railed for predicting we lose to them at BWA.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hogsanity

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 08, 2018, 08:47:11 am
nope. That only applies to us when making a point that the team can't handle adversity and/or MA is terrible.
Auburn is a finesse shooting team and A&M likes to bang around. We're not the only team that gets screwed on the road, and we're not the only team that deals with injuries and adversity. You can't expect the team to play at the same level on the road due to the zebras and fans, just like you can't expect a team missing players to play just as well as it does with all its players. All that said, glad that A&M is turning it around. They're going to make the tournament and make our loss to them much more palatable. This also now gives us an opportunity at another good win down the stretch if we can handle them at home.

So A&M over came the refs, or Auburn could not overcome losing their top scorer? A&m is finally starting to play good ball again. They exploited Auburn inside all night. At one point their two bigs were like 12-5 combined from the floor and I think every one of those was from 4 ft in. They did a great job of getting it inside in the 1st half, and the last 8 mins of the 2nd.

Hogs have several chances for quality wins down the stretch. I said yesterday I can see 6-1 but I can see 3-4 too.

Beaverfever

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 08, 2018, 06:41:52 am
A&M started 0-5 in conference in large part because of suspensions/injuries.  Most teams have things they have to deal with.  Auburn has played without two of their best players all season.  In the end you are what your record says you are.  Nobody remembers or cares what the circumstances were.

BallHog1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2018, 08:09:47 am
When have the Hogs been missing their best scorer or even one of their top 7 or 8 players this year? As for the refs, every LOSING team whines about the refs.
And you ALWAYS whine about anyone complaining about the refs. Lot of consistency in here.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 08, 2018, 08:47:11 am

Getting to the FT line has been AU basketball.  A&M doesn't normally.  Those numbers are not surprising in the least.

Currently, AU is #2 in college basketball in FTM per 100 possessions.  Texas A&M is 283rd. 
AU is 30th in % of pts coming from FTs.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 08, 2018, 02:57:11 pm

Getting to the FT line has been AU basketball.  A&M doesn't normally.  Those numbers are not surprising in the least.

Currently, AU is #2 in college basketball in FTM per 100 possessions.  Texas A&M is 283rd. 
AU is 30th in % of pts coming from FTs.

good point. Please forgive me for playing stereotypes. That's still a shocking disparity, though. Auburn shot almost 3x as many free throws.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 08, 2018, 04:23:25 pm
good point. Please forgive me for playing stereotypes. That's still a shocking disparity, though. Auburn shot almost 3x as many free throws.

What happens in some parts of the SEC.  Wait till we visit Bama.  AU is different from Bama, SC and UGa, who have to try and generate points from the line since they aren't very skilled from the field, as AU can put points from the field.  UK and Vandy also get a comparitively high % of points from the line.  But we get them at home along with the return game from AU.  If we could just improve some on defense and not put teams like Bama and Mizzou on the line when we go on the road, we have better scoring ability than most teams in this conference and could win most of the remaining games.  But there is that if.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys.