Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Orleans Summer trip this Summer

Started by DeltaBoy, April 03, 2014, 12:03:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

I need an update list since the last New Orleans thread is from 2012.

Best place to stay for the 3 of us. My daughter will be 16 by then.
Other than the Café Du Mond and Brennan's to eat and I want to stay in the Quarter
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The Marmot

The Holiday Inn on Royal has always been good and affordable.

Its right across from Mr B's which is really good. The Gumbo Shop is really good. Commanders Palace and Upperline are both out of the Quarter and great.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Hogfan46

If not on a budget hard to beat staying at The Roosevelt on Baronne Street just off Canal.

Can highly recommend Muriel's Jackson Square if you are looking for a really nice dinner.

DeltaBoy

Thanks guys my biggest issue is I am waiting on my Daughters Cheer, Band and Church Camp schedule so I don't have a conflict. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy

Any more tips from our seasoned travelers???????? :razorback:

DeltaBoy

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

panhandlepig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 19, 2014, 12:29:04 pm
Slow weekend.

The best advice I can give you for a Summer Trip to New Orleans is go as early as you can. New Orleans is just not as much fun in August..hot as heck is an understatement.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Go to Central Grocery and get a muffuletta.  It's a little hole in the wall place and you'll probably have to stand in line, so, go early for lunch.  It's worth it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/12/muffaletta-new-orleans-muffaletta_n_2664294.html
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

DeltaBoy

Thanks guys but we got to replace the HVAC unit and there goes our out of state trip for this summer.  Our Unit is 14 years old and has a galvanized Cooling coil that is rusting and clogging up the drain line. 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 22, 2014, 09:14:22 am
Thanks guys but we got to replace the HVAC unit and there goes our out of state trip for this summer.  Our Unit is 14 years old and has a galvanized Cooling coil that is rusting and clogging up the drain line. 

That really sucks.  Maybe ya'll can plan a fall trip this fall.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Central Grocery will ship those muffulettas to you.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PharmacistHog on April 22, 2014, 02:28:30 pm
That really sucks.  Maybe ya'll can plan a fall trip this fall.
I wish we teach school and our daughter will be a JR this fall and she is in the Band and a Cheerleader.

panhandlepig

Delta, New Orleans around the Holidays in so nice and very family friendly. We have gone between Christmas and New Years several times and just made the trip the bulk of our Holiday spending in lieu of a bunch of presents.  Great Memories.

twistitup

When you go try Red Fish Grill, it's in the quarter. Praline bread pudding,,,,yumm
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

DeltaBoy

We might look at Thanksgiving week or during Christmas Break.  Thanks everyone  We got our NO visitors guide yesterday.

DLUXHOG

Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue
333 St. Charles Avenue

Great old hotel, easy access to Quarter...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Dillar Dog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 24, 2014, 08:40:45 am
We might look at Thanksgiving week or during Christmas Break.  Thanks everyone  We got our NO visitors guide yesterday.

Throw it away.  I'll sort you out.

What type of trip are you looking for?  I'm good with family friendly or where to have breakfast with strippers at 4am. 

LSUFan

Treat yourself to a stay at the Windsor Court.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Dillar Dog on May 06, 2014, 11:24:46 pm
Throw it away.  I'll sort you out.

What type of trip are you looking for?  I'm good with family friendly or where to have breakfast with strippers at 4am. 

Dillard I got the wife and a 16 year old daughter so it is Family all the way and the Daughter demands we go to the Jazz Musuem and I going to drag them to the Confederate one too plus Jackson Square.

cosmodrum

I bet you'd like the WWII museum. Stephen E. Ambrose (wrote Band of Brothers) founded it in 2000 as the National D-Day Museum.

http://nationalww2museum.org/

If you're driving down, stop at Middendorf's.

http://middendorfsrestaurant.com/
Go away, batin'

panhandlepig

Delta, be sure to visit St Louis Cathedral on Jackson Square. It's free and open to the public. We have attended mass there a couple of times even though we aren't catholic.

Have your daughter's portrait done by one of the street artists...check out their work and decide. Truly worth the money imo.

There is a caroling in the quarter event that I've been wanting to go to. It's usually Dec 22 or 23. A bunch of people holding candles and singing Christmas carols sounds like a blast.

Wherever you stay take the trolley car and go to the end of the line and back. The Garden District is beautiful..you can get on and off and walk around and explore.

The aquarium is a quality experience if you haven't done something like that before. Take the ferry from the Quarter across the river to the West Bank.

Visit one of the old cemeteries ...really cool.  We have driven the River Road and seen all the old plantations like Oak Alley...a nice side trip for sure... Jeez, now I can't wait for my next trip to New Orleans.

DeltaBoy

Thanks I have not been in NO since 1994.