Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tulsa for kids

Started by Uncle_dad, February 02, 2014, 06:52:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle_dad

We will be spending some time in Tulsa in March.  I've done (and enjoyed) the aquarium at Jenks.  Any other recommendations for things my kids would enjoy?  They are five and seven.

Oklahawg

We live here, but have done a "staycation" downtown.

The Holiday Inn (7th street and Main, maybe) has a decent indoor pool and is close to lots to do. There is a bowling alley (Dust Bowl) down in a fun, family-friendly entertainment district near the baseball stadium.

Tulsa Zoo is an option if warm. There is an air/space museum (airport is near the zoo) but have no idea about it's "cool" factor.

My kids enjoy a (brief) walk through Gilcrease museum - lots of old west and native american artifacts. But...far better...take the hour trip north to Woolaroc. Drive through ranch that used to be the weekend retreat of Frank Phillips (Phillips Petroleum, now Conoco-Phillips). A large herd of Elk and Buffalo are often around to be seen (not fed, though). Other exotics can be seen as well. It has a petting zoo and a fantastic old west, native american and early oil industry museum. Worth the hour drive, and plan on spending a couple of hours total. They have a small snack bar if you need. Stop in Bartlesville for a meal (it's the easiest route from Tulsa) at either Dink's BBQ or Murphy's Hamburgers on the west side ("gravy over all").

Tulsa has an Incredible Pizza (cheap pizza/pasta buffet, video games, go carts, and Trampoline Park, all indoor). Good high-energy place, but you can spend a load of coin before you are done.

IMAX theater if you don't have one at home.

Umbertos Pizza on 21st near Harvard is our family's favorite pizza joint. Unassuming but really good pizza, and economical to boot.

Plenty of good mexican joints around if you like that. PM for details!

Want to eat nice? Loads of options, especially downtown and Brookside (not far from downtown...southwest of Univ of Tulsa, south of downtown). Try tulsafood.com.

Utica Square is an outdoor shopping center. Somewhat upscale. Park, walk and enjoy a warm spring day.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ArkansasI

Great recommendations!  My wife is from Tulsa...

The Zoo isn't bad...  Not fancy, but it is funny.  Stop at the White River Fish Market for lunch before or after the zoo or if you are near the airport.  Get the red beans and rice - best I've ever had.

Uncle_dad

Thanks!  I think we will stay at the Wyndham.  We stayed there last year, and it had a pool that is just short of an indoor water park.  I will certainly check out the air/space museum for my son, and the Phillips Ranch sounds nice, too.  I'm not sure if you've spent any time in the Lou, but it sounds much like Grant's Farm.  Is this a good comparison?  If so, my kids will love it. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: Uncle_dad on February 02, 2014, 11:21:55 pm
Thanks!  I think we will stay at the Wyndham.  We stayed there last year, and it had a pool that is just short of an indoor water park.  I will certainly check out the air/space museum for my son, and the Phillips Ranch sounds nice, too.  I'm not sure if you've spent any time in the Lou, but it sounds much like Grant's Farm.  Is this a good comparison?  If so, my kids will love it.

http://www.woolaroc.org/

My memories of Grants Farm is from 40 years ago, or so! Not sure I am qualified to compare. This is the real "old west". 100ish years ago the preserve/ranch was territory for native americans and outlaws. Woolaroc hosts an "outlaws and thieves" reunion every year. They have a mountain man camp...with real folks camping, like the old days.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

razordank42

jenks has a huge aquarium lots of dif fish and its all indoors

Oklahawg

One of the real sad moments around Tulsa was when Discoveryland shut down.

They would perform the Broadway musicals "Oklahoma!" and "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" live, outside under the stars. Live animals, etc. You could get a BBQ dinner before (chuckwagon style) but I never did.

My daughter and I had a wonderful "date night" when she was younger. She loved the fresh strawberries and cream and we left singing the tunes. If it reopens (there is talk) it is a fun family evening.

jbcarol

http://tulsapac.com/events.asp?id=125

Performing Arts Center (near the Wyndham IIRC) usually has shows geared to kids.  The March calendar appears to have some shows young people will enjoy.

Second Woolaroc.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

McKdaddy

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 12, 2014, 07:54:59 pm
One of the real sad moments around Tulsa was when Discoveryland shut down.

They would perform the Broadway musicals "Oklahoma!" and "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" live, outside under the stars. Live animals, etc. You could get a BBQ dinner before (chuckwagon style) but I never did.

My daughter and I had a wonderful "date night" when she was younger. She loved the fresh strawberries and cream and we left singing the tunes. If it reopens (there is talk) it is a fun family evening.

Agreed. We had the meal once, but annually went there for "Oklahoma".
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Uncle_dad

Follow up- We went to the Children's Museum. My kids loved it, although it was a notch below the Discovery Center in Springfield. Lots of hands-on scientific things. The packing tape tunnels were impressive. We also did the Woody Guthrie Center. We got in free because we are both teachers. My 7-year old idolizes Woody so he loved it. My 5-year old, not so much. We kept her entertained with the music bar long enough for the rest of us to take in most of it. The kids spent quite a bit of time in the very impressive kids' pool at the Wyndham.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Uncle_dad on March 16, 2014, 11:48:24 am
Follow up- We went to the Children's Museum. My kids loved it, although it was a notch below the Discovery Center in Springfield. Lots of hands-on scientific things. The packing tape tunnels were impressive. We also did the Woody Guthrie Center. We got in free because we are both teachers. My 7-year old idolizes Woody so he loved it. My 5-year old, not so much. We kept her entertained with the music bar long enough for the rest of us to take in most of it. The kids spent quite a bit of time in the very impressive kids' pool at the Wyndham.

Cool. Glad it went well.