Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First time to Chicago, sort of

Started by hog20, January 20, 2014, 02:11:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog20

Going for a few days this summer.  Went once in jr high and flew in once for a cubs game literally and flew right back out.  So, feel like this will really be first time.  Want to be near Wrigley, nephew plays for Cubs.  But want to do lots of sight seeing too. Can't decide whether to take car or fly.  Can you walk alot or do you HAVE to depend on taxi? Also, inexpensive (but decent) places to stay? He gets a discount at one of the nice hotels, so going to check into that but would like other ideas too. Don't want to depend on him for all our "entertainment" needs.  Thanks in advance.

HawgWild

Great town Chicago. We always stayed in The Loop. A train runs from both Midway and O'Hare so no taxi is needed if your hotel is near a train stop. Walking is easy because its flat. Trains run to both Wrigley and the White Sox's field.

If you go in early July they'll be having the Taste of Chicago festival in Grant Park. Good music in the clubs and theater as well. Great food too.

You'll have a great time.

Jackrabbit Hog

Chicago veteran here.  One of my favorite cities in the world.  Beats the heck out of NYC in my book.

Do not take your car.  Fly in, use taxis and, when you can, the trains.  Most Chicagoans that live in the city either don't own a car or keep theirs garaged. 

I wouldn't recommend staying near Wrigley.  As you probably already know. Wrigley is right in the middle of a yuppie neighborhood and there's very little lodging nearby.  Stay downtown; lots of hotels and some aren't overly expensive.  I'd lean on my nephew for the hotel before anything else.  Maybe he could get you in the Drake (most famous Chicago hotel; right on Lake Michigan) or something else along the "Miracle Mile."  But do stay downtown, there's a lot to do there at night and you can walk the main streets at night without feeling like you're going to get mugged. 

Lots of great night spots in the Rush-Division area (just north of downtown); awesome food everywhere, from steaks to BBQ (on the south side) to pizza. 

If you are going to a Cubs game, this is a MUST.......after the game walk the three blocks to the Wild Hare, a reggae bar that has live, authentic reggae music, Red Stripe beer, and lots and lots of ladies.  You cannot not do this.

Have fun.  PM me if you want more specific things.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: hog20 on January 20, 2014, 02:11:49 pm
Going for a few days this summer.  Went once in jr high and flew in once for a cubs game literally and flew right back out.  So, feel like this will really be first time.  Want to be near Wrigley, nephew plays for Cubs.  But want to do lots of sight seeing too. Can't decide whether to take car or fly.  Can you walk alot or do you HAVE to depend on taxi? Also, inexpensive (but decent) places to stay? He gets a discount at one of the nice hotels, so going to check into that but would like other ideas too. Don't want to depend on him for all our "entertainment" needs.  Thanks in advance.
If you don't mind me asking who is your nephew?
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Flying Razorback

Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Flying Razorback

Also Chicago veteran here.  Lived downtown for 4 years and most of my friends are still there.  We try to get back as often as possible. 

I'd also recommend staying near the Loop.  You can get a good place nearby and you'll be walking distance to the Museums, the Art Institute, the Mag Mile, the Loop, and everything you could want to eat.  You can take the train an easy 15 minutes up to Wrigley and another 15 minutes south to Comiskey.  If you can try to see a game at both if they're both in town. 

Try pizza at Lou Malnatis or one of the other 'Chicago Style' places.  There's no reason to eat at a national chain for other food varieties.  You can easily get to China Town on the red line if you want Asian food, over to Greek town for Mediterranean food.  You can take a bus over to the Damen area for Ukrainian Village and the other ethnic areas of West Town.

I would spend a morning walking over to the Field Museum and then walk back up and see the Art Institute.  Great places, both.

Check out the festival lists to see which ones will be around.  You might be there for Blues Fest or Taste of Chicago or something.

I'm jealous.  I don't think I'll make it there this summer, but you never know, I can hope.

hog20

Yes, Blake is my nephew.  SO many good suggestions here.  Actually going to print them off and give to my wife for use on the trip! Sounds like we might as well fly and not mess with the car.  Thanks again for all the info!

Flying Razorback

Quote from: hog20 on January 21, 2014, 07:03:35 am
Yes, Blake is my nephew.  SO many good suggestions here.  Actually going to print them off and give to my wife for use on the trip! Sounds like we might as well fly and not mess with the car.  Thanks again for all the info!

Awesome.  I played ball with him for several years back at FHS.  We were good, so was he.  His journey has been awesome to watch, wouldn't have guessed my team's catcher would be pitching on the big stage.

Feel free to ask questions as your trip gets closer and PM if you need to.  The transportation network up there is awesome.  It shouldn't intimidating.  I would buy one of the 3 day city passes or for however many days you are there and you can use the trains and buses unlimited.  Try as much authentic food as you can and enjoy the city in the summer.  I used to love the summers up there.  I would just get on my bike and travel all over town.  The temps are great and the weather is normally pretty clear.

hog20

Yes, he has really hung in there and it is finally paying off! Thanks for the info again and yes I don't like to eat chain stuff anywhere really looking for good local stuff.  I am sure I saw you play then, went to several Fayetteville High games.  My son is in NYC and we love just wandering around on foot, but wasn't sure if Chicago was the same way or not.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hog20 on January 21, 2014, 09:25:37 am
Yes, he has really hung in there and it is finally paying off! Thanks for the info again and yes I don't like to eat chain stuff anywhere really looking for good local stuff.  I am sure I saw you play then, went to several Fayetteville High games.  My son is in NYC and we love just wandering around on foot, but wasn't sure if Chicago was the same way or not.

It's better; trust me.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Horsesrus

Another reason not to want a car is the parking rates are outrageous at the hotels.  Depending on the weekend you can find really nice hotels for $89 - $129 a night but parking a car will run you $40 - $55 a night.  The Red line train is the only way I would ever go to Wrigley again.  I drove once and never made that mistake again.  As others have posted definitely stay downtown on the Mag Mile if shopping is more important or in the loop if museums/theatre are more important.  Dining/bars are everywhere.

For eats I like Giordano's for Chicago pizza and for breakfast I like the Original Pancake House at E. Bellevue near Rush in the Gold Coast area. 

If you can be flexible on the weekend you will actually want to avoid the festivals because typically hotel rates are significantly higher.

Watch this site for the occasional good deal on nice hotels in Chicago.  The $129 rate for the Omni is a good deal in a fantastic location.

http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/chicago/

cosmodrum

Quote from: hog20 on January 21, 2014, 07:03:35 am

Yep. Fly and take the train into the city. Buy your CTA pass in the airport and hop on the blue line. 
Go away, batin'

hog20

Sounds like flying for sure and very flexible on dates as long as cubs in town. Thanks again for all the info.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hog20 on January 21, 2014, 07:15:08 pm
Sounds like flying for sure and very flexible on dates as long as cubs in town. Thanks again for all the info.

Don't forget - the Wild Hare after the Cubs game.  This is a must.  You'll thank me later.

DLUXHOG

If you're going in the summer, take some time to walk the beach along Lakeshore Drive.  Usually a lot of talent there.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 30, 2014, 05:39:32 pm
If you're going in the summer, take some time to walk the beach along Lakeshore Drive.  Usually a lot of talent there.....
Dlux, you and me have the toughest avatars on the board, hands down.  Love me some Costner in westerns.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 30, 2014, 06:23:22 pm
Dlux, you and me have the toughest avatars on the board, hands down.  Love me some Costner in westerns.

Yeah... but..... "big hat, no cows" here........

Faedian7

If your flying out of NWA, check the rates at Branson's airport. You can fly on Southwest from Branson to Chicago Midway for half the price it costs to fly from XNA to O'Hare. I haven't had a chance to hit Chicago in summer, I bet it is a blast.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Faedian7 on January 31, 2014, 01:36:05 pm
If your flying out of NWA, check the rates at Branson's airport. You can fly on Southwest from Branson to Chicago Midway for half the price it costs to fly from XNA to O'Hare. I haven't had a chance to hit Chicago in summer, I bet it is a blast.

Other than Christmas time (Chicago is better than NYC IMO during Christmas time), Spring or Summer is best time to hit Chicago.....

hog20

Thanks! Never thought of Branson airport!

HawgWild

Quote from: hog20 on February 01, 2014, 08:07:40 pm
Thanks! Never thought of Branson airport!

Make sure you go to the right one.  ;) Didn't a Southwest pilot land at the wrong one recently?

Faedian7

Quote from: HawgWild on February 02, 2014, 09:37:21 am
Make sure you go to the right one.  ;) Didn't a Southwest pilot land at the wrong one recently?

Yep it was supposed to fly into Branson. This happend about a week after our trip back from Chicago.

hogwild6700

Take the Architectural tour they do via boat. It's not expensive and the bartender on that boat will take care of you.

PLEASE Check out Second City Comedy Club.

Go to Geno's for a great pizza. Go to Hot Doug's for a great hot dog.

Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

cosmodrum

Quote from: hogwild6700 on February 27, 2014, 09:55:59 am
Take the Architectural tour they do via boat. It's not expensive and the bartender on that boat will take care of you.

PLEASE Check out Second City Comedy Club.

Go to Geno's for a great pizza. Go to Hot Doug's for a great hot dog.

Love Geno's, but Giordano's and Lou Malnati's, Burt's, Pequod's are all great.

I REALLY want to go to Hot Doug's. I miss Demon Dogs, though. Broke my heart  that they closed. You could get a dog with the works, homemade fries and a Dew for under $4.

Did the architectural tour. It was good, but I was sleepy by the end. Booze, sun and boat will do that to you.

This is a cool tour, as well...

http://www.chicagocrimetours.com/#tours
Go away, batin'

john c

Weber Grill is a good place to eat downtown, too.  Sometimes the Drake Hotel has special rates and we like to stay there.  Lots to do in and around Michigan Ave.  Chicago is a great town to visit.  And Wrigley is just great.

Jackrabbit Hog

The Athenian Room for Greek food.  Their flank steak is orgazmic.  Halfway between Wrigley and downtown.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Jackrabbit Hog