Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best hiking trails in Arkansas

Started by rightdp, January 19, 2014, 08:26:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rightdp

This is kinda our new thing and we love it.  Just returned from Lost Valley near Poncha.  It was beautiful but fairly short and easy.  We've done all the Devil's Den trails.  What are the best trails in and around the Buffalo River area?  I remember going on a LONG beautiful hike 15 years ago that ended at a tall waterfall but I can't remember the name of it.

Hog Without A Cause

We love going to Whitaker Point aka Hawksbill Crag.  I didn't think the hike was hard so it may not be what you want but the scenery once you get there is just breath taking! 

Here's a link:

http://www.buffaloriver.com/whitaker-point-trail-hawksbill-crag/

cobra kai

January 20, 2014, 10:07:24 am #2 Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:29:01 am by cobra kai
Quote from: rightdp on January 19, 2014, 08:26:39 am
I remember going on a LONG beautiful hike 15 years ago that ended at a tall waterfall but I can't remember the name of it.

Was it Hemmed-In Hollow?
http://www.buffaloriver.com/hemmed-hollow-trail/

So it sounds like you're maybe looking for longer, more challenging day hikes than Lost Valley?  Are overnighters an option?  Let me know what you're looking for, and I can tell you where to go.
I just did a moderate 11 mile overnight trip in the Hurricane Creek Wilderness area - about 45 minutes southeast of Ponca - and it contained some of the best scenery I've ever seen in the Ozarks.

HogScoutMaster

I love hiking myself (Scout Leader) but I havent had the opportunity to do them up there.

Suggestions please .... Beautiful and over nighters arent a real problem but lets stick to day hikes for now on the suggestions.  When my son is a little older (9 now, but when he's 12) I am thinking of us doing the Appalachian Trail
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

Delicious~Dreams

There are some beautiful trails down around Mena, Ar.   I have traveled to run some of them. 

Hogfan46

Go to http://www.timernst.com/ and order one of his guide books. Tim is the definitive authority on all things hiking in Arkansas.

Delicious~Dreams

Quote from: Hogfan46 on January 21, 2014, 07:44:56 am
Go to http://www.timernst.com/ and order one of his guide books. Tim is the definitive authority on all things hiking in Arkansas.

He takes the most breathtaking photos I have ever seen.  I follow him on Facebook. 

HogScoutMaster

Looks like some great books and possible info on trails.  I'm not paying 30$ for insight on trails.

So I guess back to the OP question. 
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

Delicious~Dreams

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogfan46 on January 21, 2014, 07:44:56 am

Old friend of mine. He founded the Ozark Highland Trail Association. Great photographer.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DewUar88 on January 21, 2014, 08:30:10 am
Looks like some great books and possible info on trails.  I'm not paying 30$ for insight on trails.

So I guess back to the OP question. 

Try this link:
http://theozarkmountains.com/hiking_trails.htm
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MJ2

So, when you guys go do this remote hiking, do you carry a gun?    Seems like you could run into who or whatever out like that.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MJ2 on January 22, 2014, 04:33:00 pm
So, when you guys go do this remote hiking, do you carry a gun?    Seems like you could run into who or whatever out like that.

I do ever since I came across some guys that looked like they were straight out of Deliverance!

MJ2

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 22, 2014, 06:04:24 pm
I do ever since I came across some guys that looked like they were straight out of Deliverance!

Exactly what I'm talking about.   I've seen similar questionable people on just some short day trails - you knew they were looking for their next victim.

Delicious~Dreams

Quote from: MJ2 on January 23, 2014, 11:09:06 am
Exactly what I'm talking about.   I've seen similar questionable people on just some short day trails - you knew they were looking for their next victim.
So have I.  It's scary especially as a female but I always run or hike with a group.  Fortunately one of my friends is a trained law enforcement officer, the other in the military.  Plus we have mace if needed.   It's always best to stay in groups...for safety. 

MJ2

Quote from: Delicious~Dreams on January 24, 2014, 03:06:55 am
So have I.  It's scary especially as a female but I always run or hike with a group.  Fortunately one of my friends is a trained law enforcement officer, the other in the military.  Plus we have mace if needed.   It's always best to stay in groups...for safety. 

It ashamed that it's so unsafe, but you're very smart to make sure you're in a group.   The poor girl from Harding that went for the run in a San Antonio park is another example of how fast it can happen.

Hog1966

This wouldn't rank as one of the top scenic trails ( though it is still great ), but I've always enjoyed the trail from Pruitt to Ozark. It's around 5 miles long round trip. We often carry a lunch in a backpack, hike to Ozark for a picnic, then return back.

http://www.barefoottraveler.com/hikes/pruittozark.html

This person also has pictures and more information on hiking trails here...

http://www.barefoottraveler.com/

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DLUXHOG

Hobbs State Park (Arkansas' largest!) has many really great trails.   Go to the visitors center and pick up trail maps.    You won't regret it.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Blutoblutarsky

Pinnacle mountain ain't bad, petit jean as well

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Blutoblutarsky on January 30, 2014, 10:50:16 pm
Pinnacle mountain ain't bad, petit jean as well

I agree,  Petit Jean is awesome as well....

Uncle_dad

Rush and Indian Rockhouse over near Buffalo Point in the Yellville area are both great.  The Rush trail has a lot of abandoned mine works.  Indian Rockhouse has a lot of cool natural features, including a bluff overhang similar to Lost Valley.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 01, 2014, 12:53:43 pm
I agree,  Petit Jean is awesome as well....

Took tons of ladies on picnics on Petit Jean.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

old hog

Kings Bluff and Pedestal rocks are pretty cool places off of hwy 16. Some nice views of the Buffalo river valley and not real long walks.  Also, a nice trail at Rickland Creek with a couple of beautiful waterfalls up the trail.

pigture perfect

I did a hike along the Mulberry River near Cass a few years back. Tough, but beautiful.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DLUXHOG

There is a trail... don't know name... but you walk along the ridge of very high bluffs and you can see into Missouri from there...  The trail is at Blanchard Springs.... The only one there and it is 20-30 miles long I believe....

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Delicious~Dreams on January 24, 2014, 03:06:55 am

Or... you could realize that you ain't leaving this planet until God says it's "your time".........

DLUXHOG

[attachment deleted by admin]

tophawg19

depends on where i'm at . i usually carry a 380 or 22 mag derringer . parts of the mountains i carry bigger depending on bear possibilities , pepper spray is good too . not exactly mountain views but a walk in White River is like going back in time 200 years or more . some of that area is unchanged from the time of the first settlers
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

wholehog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on April 16, 2014, 08:32:34 pm
Or... you could realize that you ain't leaving this planet until God says it's "your time".........

So I'm assuming you don't wear a seat belt.

Delicious~Dreams

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 27, 2014, 05:34:28 pm

Where is that please?   It looks beautiful....I could run that.  :)

DLUXHOG

May 28, 2014, 01:00:12 pm #31 Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:35:11 pm by DLUXHOG
its a very old paved trail to the "springs" at Blanchard Springs park (Arkansas' most beautiful park, IMO, and is just below Blanchard Springs cavern) put in by CCC men during the Great Depression I believe...   It was my grandad's favorite place in Arkansas and he was born, lived, and died in Arkansas.......   It's incredible simplicity and beauty is not to be missed...

actually there is a vastly challenging (don't think you could "run" this) umpteen mile natural hiking trail there too...   It is a very challenging trail...  Supposedly on a clear day you can see 50 miles to the North into Missouri...(I've been on it on a clear day, and don't know if I was looking into Missouri, but I could see more miles than I can count to the North when I was on the trail which rides high along majestic bluffs....)