Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Surrounding Seattle

Started by hogfan870, September 05, 2013, 02:33:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan870

September 05, 2013, 02:33:17 pm Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:58:10 pm by hogfan870
I am going to Seattle at the end of the month for a conference.  Have two days free at the begining, and one day free at the end.  Looking at Victoria, Vancouver, and Mount Rainer/Mount St. Helens.  Would love any advice from people that have been. 

I am thinking that if we go to Victoria, it will be the first two days.  We would go by sea plane and back by the victoia clipper.  This is the most expensive option, but the sea place sounds awesome.  At the same time, once I got to victoria, I think I would rather be hiking around Rainer than walking around Victoria (and the Rainer option is way cheaper). 

Also, we could go to Rainer on the one free day at the end, but don't think we would spend the time or money to go to Victoria for just one day (really a matter of hours). 

Anyway, would love any advice from anyone that has been.  Oh, and if there is something awesome that I am not considering, I would love to hear about that as well.

We will be there end of Sept/begining of October for any weather advice (like Rainer would suck in that kind of weather, or whatever).

Thanks

HawgWild

I was stationed at Fort Lewis during my Army days. Loved the area up there. Have made a couple of trips back since then with the wife. Beautiful country it is. There was a saying that if you could see Mount Rainer carry your raincoat. If you couldn't, wear it. It rains a lot up there. When I first got there it was 90 days before we had a clear, sunny day.

There's a lot to do in Seattle so you could spend your free day there at the Pike Place Market downtown, the Space Needle and in Pioneer Square. Consider day trips to Port Townsend, Whidbey Island and/or Port Angeles/Hurricane Ridge. On a clear day you can see Victoria from the top of Hurricane Ridge. You can also take a ferry over to Victoria from here. Victoria is "quaint" but I preferred Vancouver; which is also within driving distance.

Other day trip destinations are to Leavenworth to the east and Olympic Peninsula to the West.

Check out Trip Advisor for info and tips.

Enjoy!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: HawgWild on September 05, 2013, 03:21:58 pm
............. and Olympic Peninsula to the West. .......

Check out Trip Advisor for info and tips.

Enjoy!

THIS ^^^^^ Olympic Peninsula is awesome..... don't go to Seattle and miss it... much better than Canada........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Tripod1

Victoria is a must BUT check ahead on reservations to ride the Victoria Clipper across.  Could have a hard time getting a seat if you just walk up.  Victoria is great.  If time allows check out Buchert (sp) Gardens.

jacobp

The Butchart Gardens are pretty cool, but I got bored with the rest of Victoria after a few hours. Vancouver was definitely more fun. We took a day trip from Vancouver. Killer Whale watching tour from Vancouver to Victoria, did the Butchart Gardens and Victoria, then back to Vancouver. Was a full day, and if I had to do it over again I'd probably skip Victoria.

Seattle is pretty cool, but we definitely preferred Vancouver. So much so that we extended are stay there by 3 days and cut Seattle down to 3 days.

hogfan870

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 05, 2013, 05:02:00 pm
THIS ^^^^^ Olympic Peninsula is awesome..... don't go to Seattle and miss it... much better than Canada........
Thanks to everyone for your imput.  Funny how differing opinions there are on Victoria.  (Both on here and just people I talk to.

On Olympic National Park, I originally looked at doing that, but just was not sure I could do much in two days out there.  If anyone that has been has some suggestions, I would love to hear them.

HawgWild

We drove out to Sol Duc Hot Springs in the Olympic National Park on a day trip from Seattle once. Nice, scenic drive.