Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sunshine Rick

Started by (notOM)Rebel123, March 04, 2011, 02:19:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

(notOM)Rebel123

Did anyone else notice a slight difference in Rick's "tone" towards Pelphrey on yesterday's show? Maybe it was just me....but he seemed to at least be giving the thought of a coaching change a little consideration. Your thoughts?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

checkraiser88

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Rebel123 on March 04, 2011, 02:19:46 pm
Did anyone else notice a slight difference in Rick's "tone" towards Pelphrey on yesterday's show? Maybe it was just me....but he seemed to at least be giving the thought of a coaching change a little consideration. Your thoughts?
if what you perceive is correct, Pelphrey might as well get the United Van Lines truck ready as we speak
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

elksnort

If Rick is really giving out this "tone", then Pelphrey will be gone for sure. Rick is the last hold out.

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

elksnort

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 04, 2011, 02:20:58 pm
if what you perceive is correct, Pelphrey might as well get the United Van Lines truck ready as we speak
You beat me to it!

(notOM)Rebel123

I'd feel better if I knew somebody else got the same impression...it had been a long day and my ears may have been deceiving me.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

The_Truth

I actually tuned in, which I usually don't do because I can't stand all the idiots that call in with no clue, and listened for a few minutes since I was caught in traffic, I'll have to agree that I also noticed that ol'Rick wasn't giving his usual sunshine and rainbows speech about Failphrey.  He acted like he knew it's very likely that the end is near.  I even heard him take the comments of Pro-pellers nonsense about backing Pel and put the blame on the coach for the players lack of hustle and possible attitude issues.

I think Pel is done here and it's about damn time.

Hayden1865

Quote from: Breems on March 04, 2011, 02:21:51 pm
Rick is the Alamo.
This is the best thing i've seen all day. +1
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive.

Iwastherein1969

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Breems on March 04, 2011, 02:21:51 pm
Rick is the Alamo.

Truer words have never been uttered.

LRMedHawg

I noticed it also.  He is still far from being negative towards Pel.  But he really wasn't defending him like he usually does and continues to qualify his defenses with things like... I didn't mind Heath getting another year.

SLC

Rick is either afraid to criticize publicly or he would never fire an under performing coach.  So the question is whether he is disingenuous or cowardly when it comes to "difficult conversations".
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: SLC on March 04, 2011, 02:35:11 pm
Rick is either afraid to criticize publicly or he would never fire an under performing coach.  So the question is whether he is disingenuous or cowardly when it comes to "difficult conversations".
if I were a gambling man, I'd place my money on the latter

Marshfieldhog

Once rick gives up on you, you're freakin done

elksnort

Quote from: The_Truth on March 04, 2011, 02:23:51 pm
I actually tuned in, which I usually don't do because I can't stand all the idiots that call in with no clue, and listened for a few minutes since I was caught in traffic, I'll have to agree that I also noticed that ol'Rick wasn't giving his usual sunshine and rainbows speech about Failphrey.  He acted like he knew it's very likely that the end is near.  I even heard him take the comments of Pro-pellers nonsense about backing Pel and put the blame on the coach for the players lack of hustle and possible attitude issues.

I think Pel is done here and it's about damn time.
Not to derail, but the subject of your avitar is just very solid!

Boarford T. Justice

Quote from: Rebel123 on March 04, 2011, 02:22:43 pm
I'd feel better if I knew somebody else got the same impression...it had been a long day and my ears may have been deceiving me.

Not sure I noticed a different tone, but he is not acting like a coaching change is impossible.  He's changed from "Pelphrey will be back" to "We don't make that decision Jeff Long does, so we really don't know".
#FreeMarquel

Boarford T. Justice

Rick's position is "I always support the coach until he is not here anymore and then I support the new coach."

#FreeMarquel

SLC

March 04, 2011, 03:16:57 pm #18 Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 03:21:17 pm by SLC
He shouldn't have a position, he's not the SID.  He should offer opinion, not the empty platitudes he spews.
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

Billy Bayou

Did he pray for Pel?

If not, I'm not buying it.

Boarford T. Justice

Agreed.  I've just heard him say that about 100 times.
#FreeMarquel

HognotinMemphis

Rick was quoted this week as saying: "A coach like John Pelphrey is acceptable for the U of A."
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Boarford T. Justice

March 05, 2011, 09:22:33 am #22 Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 09:29:53 am by Boarford T. Justice
Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 05, 2011, 09:12:15 am
Rick was quoted this week as saying: "A coach like John Pelphrey is acceptable for the U of A."

What about, "If your on the message boards and you think that's a good way to spend your life, you're wrong!"  That was a funny one.
#FreeMarquel

Hawgndaaz

i dont blame rick. he's just a puppy dog. loyal to his current owner til the bitter end. he really can't help it, some folks are just born that way.

booogaga

But remember guys. Rick still farts rainbows.
GO HOGS!

East Clintwood

Quote from: booogaga on March 05, 2011, 09:38:31 am

Rick doesn't fart.  That gas spews from his mouth.

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Jim

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 05, 2011, 09:12:15 am

Here's the question to ask Rick and the rest of the AD:

Is Pelphrey the absolute BEST the U of A can offer / afford it's players and fans?  If you're not trying to do your absolute best at all times, then what exactly are you doing?

Smithian

Rick Schaeffer knows more about Arkansas sports than anyone on here. He has seen all this program is capable of achieving. Trust me, he has his opinion on John Pelphrey, but he isn't going to say it if it is negative. You need to remember Rick Schaeffer works in a position where he sees Pelphrey quite a bit and probably has a friendship with him.

He will support Pel to the bitter end even if in his mind he is saying, "Dear Lord, this guy has no chance."

If Rick Schaeffer is going to support John Pelphrey out of the principle of respect and supporting a guy he has a personaly relationship with while knowingly risking his reputation, I respect that. He puts his personal convictions above the wants of the masses. If you don't like it, change the station. That's what I did during the Nutt era when I had a differing opinion.

PonderinHog

Quote from: booogaga on March 05, 2011, 09:38:31 am
This too shall pass. ;)

BigSexyHog

Rick is a tool and no talent hack on the radio with a worthless partner.  Listening to their show and the callers that call in is damn near impossible.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

br_hawg

Quote from: Smithian on March 05, 2011, 09:48:57 am
Rick Schaeffer knows more about Arkansas sports than anyone on here. He has seen all this program is capable of achieving. Trust me, he has his opinion on John Pelphrey, but he isn't going to say it if it is negative. You need to remember Rick Schaeffer works in a position where he sees Pelphrey quite a bit and probably has a friendship with him.

He will support Pel to the bitter end even if in his mind he is saying, "Dear Lord, this guy has no chance."

If Rick Schaeffer is going to support John Pelphrey out of the principle of respect and supporting a guy he has a personaly relationship with while knowingly risking his reputation, I respect that. He puts his personal convictions above the wants of the masses. If you don't like it, change the station. That's what I did during the Nutt era when I had a differing opinion.

This is definitely the right way to look at Rick. He is an Arkansas Razorback historian. There is so much to learn from his wealth of knowledge. At the same time, he is going to be extremely pro establishment. It caused me immense heart burn listening to him during Nutt's last few years. But over time, I ve come to respect his positive outlook as his opinion and learned to disagree respectfully and seek to learn from his knowledge of the program. Having said all that, back to the original posters point, I did notice Rick at least beginning to offer a thought around other candidates which might suggest that in his mind he knows the end may be nearer than ever before.

hoginator

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 04, 2011, 02:48:14 pm
Once rick gives up on you, you're freakin done
If Rick gives up on you , you are the debil and the debil is bad...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

nebhog70

Rick was, is and will always be a "company man." 

He is not a journalist. 

He is not a neutral third party.  GET USED TO IT.

He is paid by the UA and will always support the official UA position.
"Never surrender opportunity for security."
Branch Rickey

PonderinHog

Quote from: nebhog70 on March 05, 2011, 11:14:45 am
Rick was, is and will always be a "company man." 

He is not a journalist. 

He is not a neutral third party.  GET USED TO IT.

He is paid by the UA and will always support the official UA position.
Then I hope he has a "change ofart" very soon. ;)

Captain

Quote from: BigSexyHog on March 05, 2011, 10:38:04 am
Rick is a tool and no talent hack on the radio with a worthless partner.  Listening to their show and the callers that call in is damn near impossible.

Your wrong. Rick is a nice guy. If you don't like the radio show then don't listen to it. You have a choice. You don't have to listen to it. So quit complaining about it. I can tell from your post that you could use some class and integrity like Rick has.

SLC

Quote from: Captain on March 05, 2011, 03:50:21 pm
Your wrong. Rick is a nice guy. If you don't like the radio show then don't listen to it. You have a choice. You don't have to listen to it. So quit complaining about it. I can tell from your post that you could use some class and integrity like Rick has.

you + are = you're

j/k  ;D - I'm the last one that needs to correct someone's grammer.

Yes Rick is a nice guy but I don't think we get his true opionion, if that is his true opinion he does not critically analyze the job performance of coaches IMO.  That said, I could buy that he's worked with coaches and see their stress and has done so for a long time and as a consequence he is overly empathetic to coaches.  Because of that, I do not listen to his show. 

:razorback: