Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are we the only program in America....

Started by UNCLE BACK, January 29, 2018, 03:01:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLE BACK

That would put A Banner in the Rafters for two coaches that left the program in bad standing? When Eddie left, he said he would crawl to Kentucky and Nolan sued the University... Now I am not even saying they don't deserve to be in the rafters, It is just crazy to think how bad it ended with both of them. The built Arkansas Basketball from the ground up, that is for sure. Poor Eddie looks like the Old Man Dummy from that Jeff Dunham carries around. I feel bad for him.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Seriously... how often does it end well with ANY coach?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

BroyledNutts

Well, if you're not winning actual Championships, you gotta do something with all that rafter space.

k.c.hawg

Hoping to hell they name the court after Nolan before he reaches Eddie's age!! Eddie has apologized a hundred times over for his statement, returned to Bud Walton and paid homage to Arkansas. It was probably best for arkansas that Eddie left when he did, his life was spiraling out of control and many bad things were to come.

We were very fortunate to go from a school that cared not about basketball, playing in a dilpaidated fieldhouse to winning 630 games in 28 with 4 Final 4's.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

claycohog

Eddie actually did look like a puppet sitting over there... it was sad.

Nolan on the other hand...

zebradynasty

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on January 29, 2018, 03:01:12 pm
That would put A Banner in the Rafters for two coaches that left the program in bad standing? When Eddie left, he said he would crawl to Kentucky and Nolan sued the University... Now I am not even saying they don't deserve to be in the rafters, It is just crazy to think how bad it ended with both of them. The built Arkansas Basketball from the ground up, that is for sure. Poor Eddie looks like the Old Man Dummy from that Jeff Dunham carries around. I feel bad for him.

Without either of those men Arkansas Basketball would not exist! Short of burning down the university there is nothing either of them have done that would disqualify them from being honored guest at any UA game.

3of5-2

I know Nolan is, and he likes being there.

Razorbackers

Arkansas has a tendency to have messy breakups with coaches in every sport.

At some point we have to look in the mirror and realize it's not them, it's us.

Cargill A. BullHog

Eddie Sutton is the Father of Arkansas basktball and deserves to be honored as such.  He was most likely drunk when he said he'd crawl to Kentucky, after all they have some of the finest bourbon made.

Nolan is the Godfather of Arkansas basketball, and he deserves to be honored.  Now I didn't agree with all his shenanigans and antics toward the end, but he had earned enough clout that he should be forgiven for any transgressions.  Not to mention he helped us get Coach Anderson back home where he belongs. 

Coach Broyles should be honored too, even though he was a football coach, he had the werewithall to hire a winner like Eddie, and then a young man on the up and come like Nolan to put us over the top. 

So I suggest a bronze bust with Frank in the middle with his arms around Eddie on his right, and Nolan on his left, all smiling because thats the way we should remember them.
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

31to6

That would put A Banner in the Rafters for two coaches that left the program in bad standing?
Can't tear down those banners without tearing down almost all of our Final Four banners and our NC. The one goes with the other. You can argue that Sutton established us as a power in the SWC and his best teams put us on the map. Nolan took that and grew us to a national power in the 90s.

I am glad that we have been able to reconcile. Fans (not just Hog fans) need to be able to remember the good memories and have perspective on the bad. 

Dirty

HawgWild

Quote from: Kevin on January 29, 2018, 03:09:35 pm
time heals all wounds.

"Time wounds all heals." Groucho
Quote from: 31to6 on January 29, 2018, 04:11:56 pm
Can’t tear down those banners without tearing down almost all of our Final Four banners and our NC. The one goes with the other. You can argue that Sutton established us as a power in the SWC and his best teams put us on the map. Nolan took that and grew us to a national power in the 90s.

I am glad that we have been able to reconcile. Fans (not just Hog fans) need to be able to remember the good memories and have perspective on the bad. 

Truth

hoglady

I don't harbor any ill will toward either coach.
I appreciate them both for what they did for Arkansas basketball.
Some of my greatest sports memories involve a Sutton or Richardson led basketball team.
I am forever grateful to them both.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

BadHog

UA seems to be in the habit of running off great coaches.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: BadHog on January 29, 2018, 08:08:05 pm
UA seems to be in the habit of running off great coaches.

That's not an honor reserved for the UofA.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

(notOM)Rebel123

I was at the UofA when Eddie left & Nolan was hired. Sure, the "crawl to Lexington" comment stung, but thank goodness, people didn't overreact back then like they do now. I think you are way over stating the fallout when Eddie left. It wasn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be. Nolan's situation was much different. But as the old saying goes, "time heals all wounds." Eddie built the program & Nolan took us to heights we may never experience again. To question their place in Razorback Basketball history & banner in the rafters is, well, just ridiculous.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

GlassofSwine

I'm pretty sure that in hindsight Eddie would have run from Kentucky as fast as possible, of course considering the violations that occurred there we may well have dodged a bullet in him leaving.

J-Five

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 29, 2018, 03:40:41 pm

BOOM!  Concur...
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

The real Hogules

Sutton amended his comment to "I'd have crawled to Lexington to get away from JFB." Just saying..................
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

PonderinHog

Speak for yourself!   >:(

Davidr295

What's the batman quote, you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. Very few coaches get to go out a hero, most are pushed into retirement or are fired in the end.

Arazorbackguy1

Frank didn't necessarily leave us in the best position either. 
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Oliver

Barry Switzer had OU on probation when he resigned as head coach and he's nothing short of a god there in Norman. 

stronguard

Quote from: Davidr295 on January 30, 2018, 11:23:52 am
What's the batman quote, you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. Very few coaches get to go out a hero, most are pushed into retirement or are fired in the end.

How true.  Now I have an image of Les Miles munching on a handful fo grass in full batman costume quoting that line stuck in my head
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Inhogswetrust

Norm and John say Hi.......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Oliver on January 30, 2018, 12:08:08 pm
Barry Switzer had OU on probation when he resigned as head coach and he's nothing short of a god there in Norman. 

Wilkinson is God...............Switzer is the son of God.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi