Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is for the people that believe Stan Heath is improving

Started by Richard_white, February 06, 2006, 10:01:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard_white

For people to say that Stan Heath is improving like yocdaddy and more, lets go back to Todd Day, Lee Mayberry and Oliver Miller freshman year compared to this years team of 05-06; Nolan had a young group that made the final four followed up by a sweet sixteen the next year, where is Stan Heath improvement?  I ask you where is his improvement?

I have sit here and read many of post saying Stan is improving and I don't understand why anyone can come up with so much BS. Stan first year had 9 wins ( i will give him that b/c of Nolan's recruits) followed up by 12 and last year with 18 and he denied the NIT tournament which to me was insane b/c i felt it would help a young team improve and get to experience as somewhat of a tournament play.  I know there are some saying come on man he is doing better but just like i said on one of my threads is look at overall record, look a road record in conference play, look at the talent he has and where he is taking them. I will not believe in my heart that Stan Heath is the right man for this job b/c of his lack of talent develop and determination of achieving the ultimate goal and that is winning the SEC and a NC

WPS

1836hog

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on February 06, 2006, 10:01:49 pm
For people to say that Stan Heath is improving like yocdaddy and more, lets go back to Todd Day, Lee Mayberry and Oliver Miller freshman year compared to this years team of 05-06; Nolan had a young group that made the final four followed up by a sweet sixteen the next year, where is Stan Heath improvement?  I ask you where is his improvement?

I have sit here and read many of post saying Stan is improving and I don't understand why anyone can come up with so much BS. Stan first year had 9 wins ( i will give him that b/c of Nolan's recruits) followed up by 12 and last year with 18 and he denied the NIT tournament which to me was insane b/c i felt it would help a young team improve and get to experience as somewhat of a tournament play.  I know there are some saying come on man he is doing better but just like i said on one of my threads is look at overall record, look a road record in conference play, look at the talent he has and where he is taking them. I will not believe in my heart that Stan Heath is the right man for this job b/c of his lack of talent develop and determination of achieving the ultimate goal and that is winning the SEC and a NC

WPS
1.  What do Todd Day, Lee Mayberry, and Big O have to do with Stan's improvement?  Am I missing something there.
2.  Did Stan turn down an NIT bid after an 18 win season or was Stan told to turn down an NIT bid based on the fear of playing UALR in the first round?

ballhog™

The day, mayberry, o group made it to the final four as sophomores. They made the elite 8 as juniors.  The beat loyola marymount as freshmen and lost to louisville in the 2nd round.

But i get your point.  That group were freshmen Nolan's 4th year though.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on February 06, 2006, 10:01:49 pm

WPS

I could be wrong...but I believe that we made the final 4 during the May/Day/Miller years when they were sophomores.  I could be wrong...someone can check me on that...but I think I am right.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

Richard_white

huh?..what does Day and Mayberry have to do with Stan's improvement?..it means exactly what it saids, Nolan took a YOUNG team to a final four, Stan has a team that is older and more experience and about the same talent as Nolan's team that he took in the final four. As far as Stan rejected to play in the NIT tournament b/c of UALR, to funny he backed out b/c he gave up on his team. if i was the coach i wouldnt care if i had to play anyone on any court.

WPS

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on February 06, 2006, 10:21:34 pm
huh?..what does Day and Mayberry have to do with Stan's improvement?..it means exactly what it saids, Nolan took a YOUNG team to a final four, Stan has a team that is older and more experience and about the same talent as Nolan's team that he took in the final four. As far as Stan rejected to play in the NIT tournament b/c of UALR, to funny he backed out b/c he gave up on his team. if i was the coach i wouldnt care if i had to play anyone on any court.

WPS

Now, I think Heath should be fired if/when we don't make the NCAA's...but Nolan had 3 future 1st round picks on that team.  Who is even going to play in the NBA besides Brewer that is on this team now?
Retired Radio Host

ballhog™

I think Stan needs to do a better job, but I sure don't think this team has the talent of that final four team.  Besides those 3 no Lenzie Howell or Mario Credit.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Richard_white

well sorry for my mistake but there was point to that and that is Stan is not the man for the job b/c of talent development as far as as Nolan 4th years to do so i wasnt debating on his first year as a coach i was referring to taking a young team to a final four

mojobeaux

Wouldn't it be logical to assume that if the hogs can muster more than 18 wins, then Stan would be improving?  Seems like any other comparisons and theories are just opinion.

Richard_white

No it takes more than wins to improve..so let just say if you had a team and you kept winning more games each year but not winning one game in the sec tournament,  not making the NCAA tournament and especially not winning against teams like florida, kentucky and alabama. Like owning a company and being in debt but every year you cut into just alittle out of the debt, the bottom line is that YOUR STILL IN DEBT.

WPS

Richard_white

and also we win more games b/c we put more bottom feeders on our schedule nice to have if you can back it up with us beating alabama and kentucky this year as we should have done.

mojobeaux

so...  you would be just as comfortable owing me $1000 as $10?

just let the facts play out.  if the hogs win more than 18 games this year, then they have improved.  if they don't improve at all, or enough, then we will have a new coach soon.  right now they are still in position to go either way.

1836hog

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on February 06, 2006, 10:52:16 pm
and also we win more games b/c we put more bottom feeders on our schedule nice to have if you can back it up with us beating alabama and kentucky this year as we should have done.

Do we have more bottom feeders on this years schedule than we've had in the past?  I don't think we do.  We played in a great preseason tournament and had some good non-conference games.  You could argue that we didn't play a tough road schedule but you can't say Stan filled the schedule with bottom feeders.

Richard_white

well how long do you give a guy to keep owing money? how long will you say he is improving? untill we dont make it this year and what makes you so comfident we will get into the ncaa tournament this year? what teams did we beat to get there? kentucky? alabama? oh yeah we or how about MISS ST? The ncaa tournament is just not about wins or we would have made it last year but if you get beat by teams like MISS ST and not winning games like kentucky we are not going to make it.

WPS

mojobeaux

i think you just have to let it play out at this point.  its going to go one way or the other, and if we don't make the tourney then most people seem to agree that Heath will be replaced.

mountainhog

I would just like to say that i think stan is learning as a coach also . He is very young too, Nolan had tons of experience when he came here so its to be expected that he would do better with the same talent ,,(which we dont have) than stan would.  Give him a break, He is improving and learning himself every yr, and so is the record. 

Richard_white

then he should be coaching a team like tennessee st or chattanooga st not University of Aransas that has a huge tradition

WPS

mountainhog

Well maybe so. I think we just took a chance with him, and we couldnt very well hire anyone else ,because of nolans lawsuit.  He was the prob. the only choice at the time so i guess we may have to be stuck with him learning as he goes also.
Dont get me wrong , im not a heath hugger, i am sittin on the fence, I think if he gets us to the dance than he deserves another yr. if not ,, good luck to him elsewhere!

hogtheball

Don't talk about us playing bottom feeders today, then act like Nolan played great schedules.  The final four year you were talking about (89-90), the hogs played:
Samford
Oregon
South Alabama
Ole Miss
Missouri    Lost 89-88
US International
Bethune-Cookman
Deleware State
UNLV        Lost 101-93
Houston
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
SMU
Texas A&M
Houston
Texas
Rice
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor        Lost 82-77
TCU           Lost 81-79
SMU
Texas A&M
Rice

Won SWC Tourny
Midwest Regional:  Beat Princeton  (68-64)
                          Beat Dayton (86-84)
Southeast Regional:   North Carolina!! (96-73) Tarheels weren't ranked going into tournament
                             Texas (again) 88-85
Final Four:            Duke: lost 97-83

We played four top 25 teams that whole year:  Missouri, UNLV, Texas (ranked the first time we played), and Duke. 

Record against ranked opponents:  1-3
Record against ranked opponents in NCAA tournament: 0-1

I'm sick of hearing how great we were with Mayberry, Day, and Miller.  That was the most talented team to ever play at Arkansas and they didn't beat a single great team that year. 

Had Corliss Williamson not come to the UofA, 1990 would have been Nolan's only final four (the year we didn't have to meet any ranked teams until the final four).  Thanks to Corliss, Nolan's career was great.  He was a good coach with a lot of incredible talent. And one truly great player.  He should thank Corliss every day for coming to fayetteville.  Otherwise his tenure would have been much shorter.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Richard_white

well if you look up his record as well he also beat teams like KENTUCKY, FLORIDA, ALABAMA, and especially MISS ST. also look what i also said if you scroll up i said it dosent matter if you can beat bottom feeders  if you dont win against good teams..i am not a nolan fan but i am saying stan heath isnt cutting it with just beating bottom feeders and not winning the games that matter to get us in the tournament

hogtheball

He did beat some great teams - but not in his first four seasons.  And he had great luck against Miss ST., but Ole Miss owned Nolan.  Heath does need to start winning some big games, I'm not disagreeing with you. I've just read too much about how great Nolan was when he had Day and Miller and couldn't take it without typing something.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Richard_white

sorry i didnt want to confuse anyone that i was a nolan richardson fan and i am sure as not a stan heath fan..i just want the team to win and establish the tradition again  but i dont think stan is the man.

WPS

JustoHogFan

how can u be a fan of winning when all nolan did was win... no im not black, but damnit i respect nolan... yea he said some dumb sh*% that got him fired. "bought out"....... But hey everyone knows deep down that old a$$ frank broyles did not grow up with blacks and is as racist as the come... so nolan got fed up... doesnt anyone remember when nolans daughter died how ** frank treated him. I woulda been pissed too but Nolan did it to himself by always, always,, reminding people of how he was treated. So dont diss Nolan because without him the razorbacks, aka the team U want to win, would not have that much tradition... No bud walton arena, no national champ., and no gettn very many big recruits without that combo....... So even if you dont like him personally give him props for his team..
and hey dissn the 1990 final four team, damn man who cares at least they made the tournament and hey when they got there they went to the [CENSORED] final four!!!!!

JustoHogFan

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PIGGGGGGGG SOOOIIEEEEEEEEEEEE      RAZORBACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :razorback: :razorback:

:'(  I miss 40 minutes of hell....  :'(                     

Richard_white

who said i didnt like him as a coach?..i said i wasnt a fan of his on his political views while being the head coach..time and place for everything which hedidnt choose to believe that..what do you mean by aka team i want to win?..do you know me and what team i want to win?..NO..i want a team that WINS bottom line and stan heath isnt the man..i never did say nolan wasnt the ma nfir the job..3 final fours, 2 nc games and 1 national title gets my respect but that dosent mean i have to like his political views.

WPS

toshortrock

i said before the last game,don't get happy if we win, a girls team could have won that one,let;s see about the next one,i tell u what
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

LA HAWG

How bout this for improvement.  1993 Hogs go to Sweet 16 and lose to eventual Champ UNC.  1994, well you know the story.

othermac

i am like mojo, let the season play out, i believe we could get some big wins before its over.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

12under

seems to me that if you win 9 one year, 12 the next, 18 the next, that is improvement.  if we win more than 18 this year, guess what, that is improvement

ballhog™

ballhog™

I don't care what the draw was.  You have to have a great team and great coaching to make it to the final four.  We made a great comeback and had Duke on the ropes until the high altitude got to our legs in Denver.

I wish Nolan had done a little less mouthing and a little more coaching his last few years.

tophawg19

who you beat decides that . the road record is enough to get any coach fired if not shot or hung . we aren't a good team and after 4 years should be farther along than this crap . we are still no closer to the top 25 than ever and that is what matters . we can't beat top 25 teams and can't win on the road so no we are not better .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

cardinalhawg

I believe Stan's teams have shown improvement, maybe not at the level we were hoping for, but still have improved.  One can point out that Nolan's teams improved at a faster rate, in regards to the third and fourth seasons, even though the Hogs played in the SWC, but the Hogs were going making those NCAA tourney drives just after a few seasons with Nolan at the helm.  I would say that Nolan inherited better talent than Heath did, but when Nolan got his type of players and system working things went well.

Heath just needs to continue working hard at recruiting and find those players that can get the Hogs on the right track.  Heath being here next year may depend more on how well the Hogs finish the season, than whether or not they get in to the NCAA Tournament, despite possibly being in a position to get in.

I do agree that the Hogs should have played in the NIT, as a team should not cower away from a challenge.  If a team needs to be punished it is one thing, but they should have went to the NIT with the hopes of turning things around.

berryhog

Quote from: hogtheball on February 06, 2006, 11:52:37 pm
Had Corliss Williamson not come to the UofA, 1990 would have been Nolan's only final four (the year we didn't have to meet any ranked teams until the final four).  Thanks to Corliss, Nolan's career was great.  He was a good coach with a lot of incredible talent. And one truly great player.  He should thank Corliss every day for coming to fayetteville.  Otherwise his tenure would have been much shorter.

Since you have mentioned this, where would Stan Heath be without Ronnie Brewer ?

ballhog™

Nolan won regular season and tournament  conference championships, made a final four, an elite 8, a sweet 16, beat Kentucky by 20+ at Kentucky, and beat LSU twice with Shaq all without Corliss.

cardinalhawg

The arguments about where would the Razorbacks have been without Corliss or without Ronnie Brewer do not make much sense, beause what team would be good if they did not have good players.  For example, I remember reading a post on another board about how the Hogs would have not been in the game against Alabama without Ronnie Brewer getting hot.  Well, those types of statements could be made almost any game.  Someone better play well if a team wants to win.  One could wonder the fate of the Hogs this past Saturday had Modica not been playing well.  Either someone esle would have had to have stepped up, or they would have faced defeat.

toshortrock

Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

berryhog

Quote from: cardinalhawg on February 07, 2006, 08:14:20 pm
The arguments about where would the Razorbacks have been without Corliss or without Ronnie Brewer do not make much sense, beause what team would be good if they did not have good players.  For example, I remember reading a post on another board about how the Hogs would have not been in the game against Alabama without Ronnie Brewer getting hot.  Well, those types of statements could be made almost any game.  Someone better play well if a team wants to win.  One could wonder the fate of the Hogs this past Saturday had Modica not been playing well.  Either someone esle would have had to have stepped up, or they would have faced defeat.

I'll add [sarcasm] next time. ;)

yraciv

just give him 4 more year with this improvement rate, and we'll be in the final 4! lol

three

IN Corliss' freshman year, year he spent out injured most of the season, Arkansas still did very, very well.  Let's compare Nolan's success that year with what Heath has done this year.

1992-93:  Starters:  PG-So.-Corey Beck  7.0 ppg 3.6apg
                           SG-Sr.-Robert Shepherd 11.3ppg 3.5 rpg
                           SF-Sr.-Darrell Hawkins  13.3ppg, 4.5 rpg
                           SF-Fr.-Scotty Thurman  17.4ppg, 4.4 rpg
                            C-So.-Dwight Stewart  6.9ppg, 3.6rpg
       This team went 22-9, finished the tourny with a L to eventual National Champion North Carolina.  They went 3-1 in the regular season against ranked opponents.

2005-06  Starters (according to the most starts so far):
                                PG-Sr.-Dontell Jefferson, 4.1ppg, 5.7apg
                                SG-Sr.-Jonathon Modica  15.1ppg, 4.1rpg
                                SF-Jr.-Ronnie Brewer, Jr.  18.4ppg, 4.9rpg
                                PF-So.-Darian Townes  10.7 ppg, 5.9 rpg
                                 C-So.-Steven Hill  3.7ppg, 3.1bpg
   This team has already lost to the only two ranked teams they've played.  Anybody think they'll beat Florida and TN.  With 3 newcomers (Beck and Stewart were JuCo transfers)  and two Sr's, Nolan took that team to a Sweet 16.  With NO newcomers, and 3 upperclassmen, we're still wondering if this team will even make the tourny!  Nolan could do more with less.  And this crazy talk about how Nolan owed his NC to Corliss is crazy.  Yes, Corliss was a great players, but there were other big pieces to that puzzle.  Nolan doesn't win that game WITH Corliss if Thurman doesn't nail that 3.  Stan has ALL  the tools.  In fact, statistically, his starting 5 is more talented than Nolan's was.  And yet, Stan can't win the games he's supposed to.  I don't think anyone would claim the talent Arkansas has played this year has been better than it was in the early 90s (arguably the golden years of college basketball, incredible talent every year).  Sorry guys, I know it's killing a lot of you, but Heath can't coach.  He's brought in the guys he wants and ran off the guys he didn't.  This is his team, none of these guys played under Nolan, all they know is Stan's "system" (if he has one), and he still can't close out these close games.  People act like, Oh, we're so close.  We were just as close last year!!!!  This team is no different than last years, and any way you slice it, that comes down to coaching.  Sorry, I know many of you would like to close your eyes, plug your ears and ignore that fact, but it's true.  He has the tools and hasn't delivered.  If he can make a run to end the season, I'll admit I am wrong.  But as of right now, all the evidence points to a bad coach.  Not that it will matter, bad coaches in the big money sports are the style at the University of Arkansas!

Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

Richard_white

I couldnt have said it better than that, denial is so hard to overcome and accept. Stan Heath is a joke and i tired of seeing my university that i graduated from in the early 90's play horrific like they are playing.

WPS

Richard_white

hulk hog

Quote from: ballhog on February 07, 2006, 07:40:50 pm
Nolan beat #6 Kansas at Barnhill his 2nd year.

That was the win that made me believe that Nolan was going to win big here with his style once he got more of his type players.  Show me one game...one game where Stan Heath's coaching has made a difference in winning a game with his players.
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: hulk hog on February 07, 2006, 10:47:21 pm
Quote from: ballhog on February 07, 2006, 07:40:50 pm
Nolan beat #6 Kansas at Barnhill his 2nd year.

That was the win that made me believe that Nolan was going to win big here with his style once he got more of his type players.  Show me one game...one game where Stan Heath's coaching has made a difference in winning a game with his players.

True.  Also Karma for you.  I felt bad because no one has shown you any love yet.
Retired Radio Host

hogtheball

I actually thought Nolan's best coaching year was 95-96.  We won a lot of games we shouldn't have that year. 

Salvaboar Dali

I thought Nolan had a reputation for not developing talent?  Heath isn't lighting any fires, but his team is winning more games each year. This year he has done so with a much harder schedule (RPI - wise).

When Heath loses more games than in a previous year, I'll see your point. Until then, you are comparing apples and vacuum cleaners.

Richard_white

February 08, 2006, 12:03:30 am #47 Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 12:05:08 am by razorbacks4life27
What?..so your saying Heath is doing better than Nolan's first 4 season?..lol..NO!!..atlest Nolan has some upsets in his first 4 years as coach for the razorbacks..Where do you see Heath improving? in the Miss St game? RPI rating 123 or was it 3 point win against Missouri and a 4 point win over Missouri St.

Improvement means matching up last year statistics to this year and if you look at the satistics you know we havent improved as well with player development. Does Townes have  more than 2 Offenive moves? No, does Hill have a Offensive move at all?, not sure we havent seen it yet except for blocking shots but if i was 7' tall i would block some shots.

I am not hating the players because we have the talent it was proven against UConn but it starts with the coach that hasnt proven to improve each year and if you want to say he is improving because he has won a game or 2 for each seaon just like someone on here said ealier it will 2010 before we have a 8-8 conference record.

WPS

Salvaboar Dali

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on February 08, 2006, 12:03:30 am
What?..so your saying Heath is doing better than Nolan's first 4 season?..lol..NO!!..atlest Nolan has some upsets in his first 4 years as coach for the razorbacks..Where do you see Heath improving? in the Miss St game? RPI rating 123 or was it 3 point win against Missouri and a 4 point win over Missouri St.

Improvement means matching up last year statistics to this year and if you look at the satistics you know we havent improved as well with player development. Does Townes have  more than 2 Offenive moves? No, does Hill have a Offensive move at all?, not sure we havent seen it yet except for blocking shots but if i was 7' tall i would block some shots.

I am not hating the players because we have the talent it was proven against UConn but it starts with the coach that hasnt proven to improve each year and if you want to say he is improving because he has won a game or 2 for each seaon just like someone on here said ealier it will 2010 before we have a 8-8 conference record.

WPS

No.

I am saying that Heath is improving over his own previous seasons. Read it again.

Richard_white