Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Absolutely Pathetic -little rock/pulaski county schools

Started by bigpigpimpin, March 10, 2017, 10:35:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpigpimpin

Last night at the state championships I learned this. At the 5a state tournament at Magnolia, the school district would not pay for the kids hotel rooms. The KIDS payed for their rooms. At Hot springs for the state title game, the coaches paid for the rooms not covered by the AAA, and finally after the state championship game, they went directly back to the school because the district did not pay for them to eat.

No wonder everyone wants to get their kids out of little rock....

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on March 10, 2017, 10:35:52 am
Last night at the state championships I learned this. At the 5a state tournament at Magnolia, the school district would not pay for the kids hotel rooms. The KIDS payed for their rooms. At Hot springs for the state title game, the coaches paid for the rooms not covered by the AAA, and finally after the state championship game, they went directly back to the school because the district did not pay for them to eat.

Something is amiss there.  Something, as in borderline criminal. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

NuttinItUp

That is dumb.

Write your city council person if you live in those cities.

snoophawg

There are several reasons my wife and I won't live in LR. This is just one of them. We live in Branson and are very impressed with the schools here.

Knot2brite

One of the major reasons I do not work in pcssd anymore...they used to not give a dime to athletics and the teams had to live off what they made from the gates.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: NuttinItUp on March 10, 2017, 10:52:22 am
That is dumb.

City council may help but the school boards are independent entities from the cities in which they operate.

It's understandable to a point if the district does not have the $.  Wasn't LR schools in distress and/or under state control.  I know the superintendent from Bentonville SD was hired by LRSD. 

As far as hotel rooms go it's an hour away.  If the tournament was in Fayetteville it would be different.  Although it's an inconvenience at worst it's not that much of a hardship for a LR school to not spend the night in Hot Springs.  I'm sure during the season they travel an hour or more for some games during the week.

What normally run public school athletic departments usually have are booster clubs that help offset some of the costs that the school or parents can't cover.  I know in Bentonville the club is very active and contributes a lot.  They are trying to raise funds for a football stadium for Bentonville West through private donations.  I know Bentonville has higher income demographics than LR but parents and the community have to get active and do what they can.  This may include busting their tails, getting private businesses more involved etc.  They may already be doing a lot of that but when you have a big event like state tournament come up just got to do more.

Schools are so strapped for money as it is that it's a lot harder than you think to pay for and justify paying for some of these things.  With vouchers and charter schools more en vogue you will see more money and resources being siphoned away from public school districts.  The legislature seems more worried about getting guns on college campuses than improving public education.  I know that tax increases are difficult but I never have a problem voting for public school millage increases.  Can never go wrong investing in education.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

pigture perfect

I'm thankful I worked in a good district(s) when I coached. This is not putting the kid first.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Knot2brite on March 10, 2017, 10:59:24 am
One of the major reasons I do not work in pcssd anymore...they used to not give a dime to athletics and the teams had to live off what they made from the gates.

I'm not sure what the set up is in Memphis, where I live, but I suspect it was very similar to that before the Memphis School District and the Shelby County School District combined.  But if they were living off the gates, my goodness that wouldn't have bought gas for the bus to make the trip to the game and back.  When I call a Memphis inner city football game, you can often count the fans in the stands on two hands.  It's sad.  I watch kids who are obviously very athletic and could be good football players, just going through the motions.  You can blame them, you can blame the coaches for the lack of discipline, but I think more than anything else you should blame the school administration for allowing it to get to this point. 
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Vandyhog4

I'm not taking a position on the issue, but I am curious as to why a team from Little Rock would need a hotel in Hot Springs?  I assume they might have had a shoot around at the arena and other obligations the day before, but the game was at 5:15 pm yesterday.  Not feeding them after the game is a bigger issue.

Also, looking at the schedule in Magnolia, Parkview played on non-consecutive days (2/28, 3/2, 3/4).  Not unreasonable to make multiple trips with that schedule.  The Mills schedule is a different story.  They played on consecutive days (3/2, 3/3, 3/4) with late afternoon/evening starts.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Vandyhog4 on March 10, 2017, 11:07:59 am
I'm not taking a position on the issue, but I am curious as to why a team from Little Rock would need a hotel in Hot Springs?  I assume they might have had a shoot around at the arena and other obligations the day before, but the game was at 5:15 pm yesterday.  Not feeding them after the game is a bigger issue.

The feeding thing is the bigger issue for me.

I bet if someone dug enough they would find a state law about having to provide food to kids if they are under your care or something.

Atlhogfan1

Some details seem to be missing.  Feeding the players seems an easy task. 

How is the corporate sponsorship support for the AAA events?

Georgia gets strong support.

http://www.ghsa.net/corporate-partners

Alabama and NC had revenue sharing as of a few years ago:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/03/why_is_ahsaa_revenue_sharing_s.html

High School Athletic Association Finances in Southeast

State   Net Assets   Assets Growth Since '07-08   Surplus/Deficit in '10-11
North Carolina   $24,777,043   +32%   +$2,106,782
Alabama   $9,220,744   +25%   -$380,826
Florida   $4,799,036   +38%   +$940,868
Georgia   $4,089,213   +13%   +$48,358
Kentucky   $3,552,999   +6%   +$155,161
Arkansas   $3,260,513   +25%   +$215,463
Mississippi   $3,144,167   0%   -$251,199
Tennessee   $2,615,880   +320%   +$526,418
South Carolina   $2,471,098   -4%   -$44,398
Note: Data is from 2010-11 because not every state's 2011-12 filings are available.
Source: Nonprofit tax filings on Guidestar.org
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

RaisinHog

Definitely no need to stay the night if you do not have too.. have you ever went on an over night school trip ? No one sleeps they play grab ass all night much better to sleep in your own bed .. now at our school if someone qualifys for state be it FFA , FBLA, basketball , football whatever .. the supt. Will ussually tell us to take them somewhere nice and feed them on the schools dime .. when we do.have over night trips the club, team , or organization is in charge of paying for motel rooms ... Sounds to me like they need a fundraiser or a booster club.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: RaisinHog on March 10, 2017, 11:42:36 am
Sounds to me like they need a fundraiser or a booster club.

Therein lies the problem.  Apathy.  Lack of support.  From both the schools and families (but many of the families don't have the financial wherewithal to do much).

code red

Quote from: Vandyhog4 on March 10, 2017, 11:07:59 am

Also, looking at the schedule in Magnolia, Parkview played on non-consecutive days (2/28, 3/2, 3/4).  Not unreasonable to make multiple trips with that schedule.  The Mills schedule is a different story.  They played on consecutive days (3/2, 3/3, 3/4) with late afternoon/evening starts.
Agreed....just as well to sleep in your own bed.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

MountieDawg

Even at the big money schools in NWA the school does not pay... The Booster club is responsible for raising the money for food and if needed lodging for the kids... NWA has tons of Walmart vendors and the average household income is much higher which make it much easier.  You would think in a case like this the AAA would pay for the food they are making the money off the ticket sales.
SEC!

3kgthog

Happens everywhere. Kids going to nationals for things like FCCLA have to foot their own hotel bill in Nashville this year. And the state basically forces them to stay at a sponsor hotel downtown and they aren't cheap.

RealHog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 10, 2017, 11:04:52 am
I know the superintendent from Bentonville SD was hired by LRSD. 

Agreed with a lot of things you said here, and good post. Just wanted to mention the Bentonville guy you mention, Michael Poore, was hired by Johnny Key after he dumped Baker Kurrus (also appointed by Key) because he wasn't marching to the Walton company line of The Charter School solution for LR. The NWA group are very pro charter while many here want to try and fix the main issue, the public schools. I just moved to West LR from other parts of the state and don't have any kids yet but believe me, the Public v. Charter v. Private school topic is very hot button issue here. I'm just glad my district has an excellent elementary and middle recently built because Private schools were taking all the good students.

hobhog

Quote from: snoophawg on March 10, 2017, 10:53:28 am
There are several reasons my wife and I won't live in LR. This is just one of them. We live in Branson and are very impressed with the schools here.

Branson says it all.

Porked Tongue

With the extra funding going away, you have to wonder what happens to many of these schools.

Hoggish1

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on March 10, 2017, 10:35:52 am

It's going to get worse, continuously, from here on out.

hawgfan4life

HB1222 will be voted on as soon as Monday.  This bill is being advertised with a lot of misinformation.  What is fact is it is going to cost millions every year and is taking money away from public schools.  It is going to end up paying some of the tuition at private schools to the families already attending or that can afford to attend.  Anyone not wanting tax money diverted to pay tuition at private schools should contact their representative.  Right now, there is a lot t of support for this bill within the legislative body.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: RealHog on March 10, 2017, 12:30:31 pm
Agreed with a lot of things you said here, and good post. Just wanted to mention the Bentonville guy you mention, Michael Poore, was hired by Johnny Key after he dumped Baker Kurrus (also appointed by Key) because he wasn't marching to the Walton company line of The Charter School solution for LR. The NWA group are very pro charter while many here want to try and fix the main issue, the public schools. I just moved to West LR from other parts of the state and don't have any kids yet but believe me, the Public v. Charter v. Private school topic is very hot button issue here. I'm just glad my district has an excellent elementary and middle recently built because Private schools were taking all the good students.

Yeah Poore is basically an Asa crony.  Asa's grandson attends and plays for BHS, and I think that is how they got familiar.  I'm sure Asa facilitated the move in some form or fashion.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 10, 2017, 01:12:20 pm
HB1222 will be voted on as soon as Monday.  This bill is being advertised with a lot of misinformation.  What is fact is it is going to cost millions every year and is taking money away from public schools.  It is going to end up paying some of the tuition at private schools to the families already attending or that can afford to attend.  Anyone not wanting tax money diverted to pay tuition at private schools should contact their representative.  Right now, there is a lot t of support for this bill within the legislative body.

Our state legislature is the absolute worst.  I'm sure there are a few good individuals but more Jason Raperts than not.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 10, 2017, 01:12:20 pm

Have you actually read the HB1222 bill??? From what I've read it's my understanding that students who already attend Private schools will not be eligible for a voucher.

P.S. There is a lot of statewide support for the bill too.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsanity

Close down about 50-75 of the tiny districts and use that money to bolster the bigger districts. Combine administration into one county district for each of the counties and save another 100mil or so each year.

Consolidation would fix alot of the financial problems in the Arkansas school system, but no one has the guts to do it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NuttinItUp on March 10, 2017, 10:52:22 am
That is dumb.

The City Council?  They don't run the schools. Why not try writing the one's in power. The SCHOOL BOARD.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hogsanity on March 10, 2017, 02:18:16 pm
Close down about 50-75 of the tiny districts and use that money to bolster the bigger districts. Combine administration into one county district for each of the counties and save another 100mil or so each year.

Consolidation would fix alot of the financial problems in the Arkansas school system, but no one has the guts to do it.

Hey now that's crazy talk.  County wide might be a bit difficult to get to, but in the meantime I agree tiny districts definitely, and there are some that are a bit ridiculous.

In NWA for example there are at least city wide districts here and many absorb the smaller cities.  Lowell is served by Rogers.  Centerton and Bella Vista with a combined pop of 35k are served by Bentonville.

I grew up in Hot Springs and we had multiple districts serving the same city, Lakeside, Hot Springs, and Lake Hamilton, and smaller ones such as cutter. Now all of those should have been one district.  I think this one guy Gerry Mander drew up their districts to keep a certain imbalance in place.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 10, 2017, 03:23:50 pm
Hey now that's crazy talk.  County wide might be a bit difficult to get to, but in the meantime I agree tiny districts definitely, and there are some that are a bit ridiculous.

In NWA for example there are at least city wide districts here and many absorb the smaller cities.  Lowell is served by Rogers.  Centerton and Bella Vista with a combined pop of 35k are served by Bentonville.

I grew up in Hot Springs and we had multiple districts serving the same city, Lakeside, Hot Springs, and Lake Hamilton, and smaller ones such as cutter. Now all of those should have been one district.  I think this one guy Gerry Mander drew up their districts to keep a certain imbalance in place.

The districts were drawn up, in many cases due to the extreme rural nature of much of Arkansas at the time, and now even, of when the districts, were made. Now, no one wants to close districts because of all the admins & staff it would put out of work. Thy hide behind " but what about the children who will be on buses for 4 hours a day " as I said just consolidate administration and save a lot of money.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

I've had high school organizations stay in my hotels. The check usually came from the school itself. However sometimes a "booster" type organization paid it. I believe though that depending on distance, time of event and what type of event, what district/school mattered as to who paid the bill. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawkhawg

ricepig

I guess we need to schedule the state tournament in LR, they won't have to worry about spending the night. Truthfully, the gym was packed for the Jonesboro-El Dorado game, the teams playing in the game after this game, and even AAA members weren't allowed in until after we cleared out of our seats. As to paying for rooms, our district pays for the rooms at the state tournament, and the AAA does for the finals. The different booster clubs pay for invitational tournaments, or trips to Florida for spring break.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hawkhawg on March 10, 2017, 03:35:37 pm
You can't spend money you don't have.

The government does it all the time. Its called the National Debt.

GuvHog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 10, 2017, 03:23:50 pm

Hot Springs, Lakeside, and Lake Hamilton are too large to merge IMO but I do believe Cutter Morning Star should merge with Hot Springs, Fountain lake should merge with Lakeside, and Mountain Pine should merge with Lake Hamilton.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jesterzzn

I played basketball in high school in the Memphis area for a school generally accepted as one of the wealthiest public schools in the region.  My sophomore year we made the state tournament and got to travel to Nashville for a game (3 hour drive).  We left the morning of, had lunch payed for by our coaches (maybe by the school...not sure), played the game at 6-7ish (don't really remember), traveled home afterwards, and arrived back at the school well after midnight.  Almost all of us met up at Waffle House for our post game dinner, paid for by the parents.

Granted this was over twenty years ago, but I can't remember a single player or parent complaining.

LZH

rtr

The more smites the more intelligent I get.

lookawayquick

LRSD has no school board.  You have to appeal to the Supe. Poore and he marches to Education Director Johnny Key's drum.  Poore moved down from Bentonville, Key from Mt. Home.  Something missing here?

old_school_hawg

I coach in class a, been to the finals three times over the years... That NEVER happens here. We pay now and figure it out later. Gotta take care of the kids better than that, that's BS.
"I tried being reasonable. I didn't like it."-Clint Eastwood

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

hawgfan4life

Quote from: GuvHog on March 10, 2017, 02:02:51 pm
Have you actually read the HB1222 bill??? From what I've read it's my understanding that students who already attend Private schools will not be eligible for a voucher.

P.S. There is a lot of statewide support for the bill too.

I have read it multiple times.  There is a lot of myths associated with this bill but it is a fact that state revenues will be lost and will impact public schools.  Dialogue has a lot of discussion about choice and it says it targets low income students.  The details are such that a very small percentage of low income will use it and then it works its way through a waiting list.  Every parent of private school students will get on the waiting list.  Over time more and more get selected.  Once selected, it is for duration of school career, all siblings are automatically selected, and the money can even be saved up for college.  Program increases by 10% every year.  It is going to be a snow ball effect in lost revenues each year and an increase in students on the waiting list being selected.

It is popular because people believe it will be opportunities for all students.  That is false.  It is a horrible bill for tax payers who desire to keep public schools funded adequately. 

old_school_hawg

This. We fund raise and have a very involved community and booster club. We have bought two sets of rings and we were able to raise the money in less than a week both times. We have a modest farming community, but the work ethic and team atmosphere isn't just in the gym. It literally takes a village! I agree that it's best to sleep in your own bed if you can, but you gotta feed them a good meal and reward them for their achievement.

Quote from: RaisinHog on March 10, 2017, 11:42:36 am
Definitely no need to stay the night if you do not have too.. have you ever went on an over night school trip ? No one sleeps they play grab ass all night much better to sleep in your own bed .. now at our school if someone qualifys for state be it FFA , FBLA, basketball , football whatever .. the supt. Will ussually tell us to take them somewhere nice and feed them on the schools dime .. when we do.have over night trips the club, team , or organization is in charge of paying for motel rooms ... Sounds to me like they need a fundraiser or a booster club.

old_school_hawg

Ok.... Taking issue with the consolidation thing. I have taught and coached for 23 years at the 5a and 1a levels. The last 13 the 1a. Nobody has mentioned that most of the smaller districts achieve higher and are run more efficient than the larger districts. I mean, it is LR that is not able to take care of business here. Our school ranks in the top 5 in math and literacy and have an 83% college attendance rate and a 50% college grad rate. Not to mention a great, safe environment. Our teacher-student ratio is 13:1 and We have one of the best distance learning labs in the state. We are the ONLY school in Arkansas that you can graduate and boast 45 hours of college credit. We always end in the black and have never even been close to fiscal distress. In my opinion, the larger schools need to cut down their waste... Start there before you shut down higher achieving, more efficient machines. Without using names, I will give you an example: a district near us has been in fiscal distress the past five years because they built a basketball shrine instead of a nice, practical gymnasium, which is absurd. Now, tell me why we should close down the smaller districts? Ridiculous.

Wildbill

Quote from: hogsanity on March 10, 2017, 02:18:16 pm

ys
Yes you could close a bunch of smaller schools, but then you would lose many students from playing sports.  Smaller schools are so much more about family than the big ones.  Test scores are always better too.  Thats a fact!

rtr

Quote from: Wildbill on March 10, 2017, 11:54:55 pm

ys
Yes you could close a bunch of smaller schools, but then you would lose many students from playing sports.  Smaller schools are so much more about family than the big ones.  Test scores are always better too.  Thats a fact!

Sorry, don't buy your premise one bit.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

hobhog

Quote from: rtr on March 10, 2017, 10:30:03 pm
Sounds like LRSD suffers from poor leadership.

They don't do what's best for kids because they are bias. But Private schools in LR are great.

Little Rock is a great town.

HossHog

Quote from: GuvHog on March 10, 2017, 06:32:54 pm
Hot Springs, Lakeside, and Lake Hamilton are too large to merge IMO but I do believe Cutter Morning Star should merge with Hot Springs, Fountain lake should merge with Lakeside, and Mountain Pine should merge with Lake Hamilton.
Not everyone wants to go to a highschool with 700 people. I went to a small school and would much rather be at a 3A or 4A than 7A. But this is all just what different people prefer. 

HossHog

Quote from: Wildbill on March 10, 2017, 11:54:55 pm

ys
This is a good point about the sports. Kids who start in basketball at the 3A level wouldn't have a chance at the 6A or 7A at most schools.

onebadrubi

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 10, 2017, 12:15:49 pm
Happens everywhere. Kids going to nationals for things like FCCLA have to foot their own hotel bill in Nashville this year. And the state basically forces them to stay at a sponsor hotel downtown and they aren't cheap.

If the state isn't paying then they should have no say so in where you have to stay

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on March 10, 2017, 06:32:54 pm

Magnet Cove would be attractive..................

ricepig

Quote from: lookawayquick on March 10, 2017, 10:55:41 pm
LRSD has no school board.  You have to appeal to the Supe. Poore and he marches to Education Director Johnny Key's drum.  Poore moved down from Bentonville, Key from Mt. Home.  Something missing here?

Yeah, about 20 years too late, that's what's missing.

ricepig

Quote from: old_school_hawg on March 10, 2017, 11:25:44 pm
Ok.... Taking issue with the consolidation thing. I have taught and coached for 23 years at the 5a and 1a levels. The last 13 the 1a. Nobody has mentioned that most of the smaller districts achieve higher and are run more efficient than the larger districts. I mean, it is LR that is not able to take care of business here. Our school ranks in the top 5 in math and literacy and have an 83% college attendance rate and a 50% college grad rate. Not to mention a great, safe environment. Our teacher-student ratio is 13:1 and We have one of the best distance learning labs in the state. We are the ONLY school in Arkansas that you can graduate and boast 45 hours of college credit. We always end in the black and have never even been close to fiscal distress. In my opinion, the larger schools need to cut down their waste... Start there before you shut down higher achieving, more efficient machines. Without using names, I will give you an example: a district near us has been in fiscal distress the past five years because they built a basketball shrine instead of a nice, practical gymnasium, which is absurd. Now, tell me why we should close down the smaller districts? Ridiculous.

And this school is located where?