Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fayetteville ranked 5th best place to live in the country according to us news

Started by FATHAWG08, February 13, 2018, 09:25:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 14, 2018, 07:54:33 pm
Can't answer that. But what does that matter? For those that choose to live in NWA, there are many opportunities that other areas cannot offer, regardless of race. Weak argument on your part. With the concentrated efforts of NWA employers to hire a more diverse workforce, the employment opportunities for any minority are great.
It's not a weak argument.  All people want to look around and see some people that look like them. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 15, 2018, 11:34:44 am
It's not a weak argument.  All people want to look around and see some people that look like them. 

That depends on the context of the remark. Maybe I misunderstood what he was asking. If so, my apologies.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ricepig

College campuses are full of young people.......

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: hoglady on February 13, 2018, 11:23:02 pm
NW Arkansas is a great place to settle down and raise a family.

That's not exactly what a teenager is concerned with when choosing a school to attend.
Dickson St. within walking distance is a plus. "GO HOGS"

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Karma on February 14, 2018, 04:51:12 pm
How many of those 30 people a day that move to NWA are African-American?

Don't know, but % of blacks and Mexicans combined  is 13.3% in Fayetteville according to census ....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ricepig on February 15, 2018, 12:25:55 pm
College campuses are full of young people.......
They aren't full of black young people.  At least outside the athletic dorms.  And Fayetteville certainly isn't.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 15, 2018, 01:50:50 pm
They aren't full of black young people.  At least outside the athletic dorms.  And Fayetteville certainly isn't.

Well, guess what? Only 12.3% of the US population(according to US census data) is black...   do you think Fayetteville should be substantially more?

sickboy

Quote from: galactivation on February 14, 2018, 09:04:45 pm
I'm gonna be honest & say I'm scared of the development of Fayetteville. It seems like the University has swallowed the city. Enrollment rates have grown so fast, you gotta wonder how sustainable it is & the kinds of effects it has on the culture & cost of living

This is the way civilization has been functioning for seven thousand years. Small cities grow into larger cities, people leave and go to even smaller cities outside the big city, those small cities grow, until they become large cites and so and so on.

In ten generations or so the country is going to look like twenty or so sprawling mega cities with less and less rural hinterland.

Of course, there have been many civilizations in the past who have ballooned, only to collapse under the weight of famine, pestilence, plague, natural disasters etc. So, who knows.

sickboy

I myself prefer diversity. I got plenty of white people in my family to look at and talk to. It's nice to walk down the street an interact with different cultures, in my opinion.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BILLYBOB on February 14, 2018, 05:27:50 am
Millions of people
Skyscrapers
Top Golf
Capital Grille
Tesla Delership
Justin Timberlake concert
IKEA
Restaurants and shopping choices
Tech jobs
Diversity
Good movie theatres
Shake Shack/In-N-Out/Fat Burger
Professional Sports
Mass Transit
Etc...

Ask yourself how many of those players use a lot............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The Kig on February 15, 2018, 01:20:40 am
NYJMSU... There is nothing metro about NWA.  Fayetteville is a nice TOWN and NWA is a nice rural area with people spread out, but metro?  Not by any stretch of the imagination.

If you would engage your brain a little bit you wouldn't have posted that.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bphi11ips

Satellite images of the U.S. over the years have shown the growth of the Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers corridor. Not your typical metro area, but a metro area nonetheless. Notice the shape:

https://www.google.com/search?q=us+at+night+sattellite&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=0czIAM46OY7veM:
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Athog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on February 14, 2018, 01:39:50 am
Unfortunately, football recruiting is similar to my reasons for not moving to NW Arkansas.

Too far from the family. 4 hours away is still 4 hours away.

No West Arkansas does not have a patent on that issue! Lived in DFW metroplex and it can take two hours to drive from point A to point B. It is all relative.

Athog

tusksincolorado

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 15, 2018, 08:45:21 am
That’s why you turn left at Harps/Sonic and head south on E. German, go past Conway Christian and then west on Dave Ward. Hit the roundabouts on DW and you are on I-40. Often times this is quicker.
;)

There is NO WAY Rice could get himself out of a round-a-bout!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

ricepig

Razorbackers

Quote from: sickboy on February 15, 2018, 02:37:29 pm
I myself prefer diversity. I got plenty of white people in my family to look at and talk to. It's nice to walk down the street an interact with different cultures, in my opinion.

Agree. That being said, it's not like NWA is gentrifying their community, it's building into open space. There just wasn't a heavy minority population up there to begin with, for multiple reasons.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2018, 08:37:12 am
You turn left, correct?

eventually you will have to turn right buddy!

Unless you are going backwards...and then that is another conversation we need to have!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

jkstock04

Quote from: BILLYBOB on February 14, 2018, 05:27:50 am
Millions of people
Skyscrapers
Top Golf
Capital Grille
Tesla Delership
Justin Timberlake concert
IKEA
Restaurants and shopping choices
Tech jobs
Diversity
Good movie theatres
Shake Shack/In-N-Out/Fat Burger
Professional Sports
Mass Transit
Etc...

Man this is a liberal spin job if I've ever seen one.

Would be awesome if we could get a Top Golf though...agree with you there. That's one hell of a time.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: tusksincolorado on February 16, 2018, 08:41:31 am
eventually you will have to turn right buddy!

Unless you are going backwards...and then that is another conversation we need to have!

I've found that people tend to try to get out of your way when you go down a one way street the wrong way. A few want to play chicken, but most like their vehicle and move over.

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 15, 2018, 11:47:09 am
That depends on the context of the remark. Maybe I misunderstood what he was asking. If so, my apologies.
My point is that if 90% of the people moving to town are white, it doesn't help attract African american football players.

Hog_Fink

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 16, 2018, 08:41:19 am
Agree. That being said, it's not like NWA is gentrifying their community, it's building into open space. There just wasn't a heavy minority population up there to begin with, for multiple reasons.

fville is becoming pretty homogenized.
turning into a Dallas suburb

Hog N Bama

Quote from: hoglady on February 13, 2018, 11:23:02 pm
NW Arkansas is a great place to settle down and raise a family.

That's not exactly what a teenager is concerned with when choosing a school to attend.
WOW! Record time for the bucket of ice water thrown in 👎

DLUXHOG

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 14, 2018, 04:38:40 am
What isn't there..?

ghettos
slums
mindless entertainment venues to further numb minds
truckloads of roadside litter.........

Mike Irwin

This thread went off the rails in the first two or three posts. Some of you seem to take personal the suggestion that a recruit might pick Arkansas because he makes a visit and likes the area. Who gives a crap. If it happens great. If it's not a factor with other recruits so what?

The question at hand is whether or not the coaches can use Fayetteville's livability ranking to help in recruiting. The answer is yes. I've asked. I was told that several this year's signees specifically told the coaches that they were knocked out by the campus and NWA in general. Chad Morris had a similar reaction when he arrived. So much so that he plans to make it a big part of his recruiting pitch.

Why should that make anybody mad? If you don't like NWA, don't move there. If you like where you live better, stay there.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 16, 2018, 01:23:31 pm
This thread went off the rails in the first two or three posts. Some of you seem to take personal the suggestion that a recruit might pick Arkansas because he makes a visit and likes the area. Who gives a crap. If it happens great. If it's not a factor with other recruits so what?

The question at hand is whether or not the coaches can use Fayetteville's livability ranking to help in recruiting. The answer is yes. I've asked. I was told that several this year's signees specifically told the coaches that they were knocked out by the campus and NWA in general. Chad Morris had a similar reaction when he arrived. So much so that he plans to make it a big part of his recruiting pitch.

Why should that make anybody mad? If you don't like NWA, don't move there. If you like where you live better, stay there.

trying to get back to Fayetteville as fast as I can bub............

Mike Irwin

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 16, 2018, 01:26:52 pm
trying to get back to Fayetteville as fast as I can bub............
Well, come on then. I've lived in Fayetteville for 43 years. It's too much of a hippie town for my tastes but I like the five minute drive to work. Rogers & Bentonville has better shopping and places to eat but I wouldn't battle I-49 traffic daily just for that. The point is, it's not what I like or don't like. It's whether or not recruits like it.

A boyhood friend of mine has a grandson who graduats high school in Dallas this spring. The young man wants to get into TV sports. His parents brought him up to check out the broadcast journalism department at the U of A. They were shocked that that the chairman of the department spent two hours with them showing them around campus. He told them that the university is making a big push to land students out of Texas. He was offered in state tuition rates. That's great.

Razorbackers

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 16, 2018, 01:36:27 pm
Well, come on then. I've lived in Fayetteville for 43 years. It's too much of a hippie town for my tastes but I like the five minute drive to work. Rogers & Bentonville has better shopping and places to eat but I wouldn't battle I-49 traffic daily just for that. The point is, it's not what I like or don't like. It's whether or not recruits like it.

A boyhood friend of mine has a grandson who graduats high school in Dallas this spring. The young man wants to get into TV sports. His parents brought him up to check out the broadcast journalism department at the U of A. They were shocked that that the chairman of the department spent two hours with them showing them around campus. He told them that the university is making a big push to land students out of Texas. He was offered in state tuition rates. That's great.

They don't get in-state tuition rates, but can get a scholarship for 90% of the difference between in-state and out of state tuition if the fit in they highest catagory.

https://scholarships.uark.edu/nrta/index.php

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 15, 2018, 02:01:55 pm
Well, guess what? Only 12.3% of the US population(according to US census data) is black...   do you think Fayetteville should be substantially more?
No, but since it about half of the national % I would guess that is pretty noticeable.

Grizzlyfan

As per usual, you have completely missed the point.

RT1941

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2018, 09:22:19 am
Do players care about this kind of thing, or do they just care about where they can go win football games, be seen, and make it to the NFL?
^THIS^ is exactly what the 4-5*'s are thinking about AND their parents, "legal guardians", and handlers think the same way.  It's all about the exposure and a staff that can train and develop the player to make the pro's.   $$$$$
RazorTusk!!!!

Hog_Fink

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 16, 2018, 01:42:44 pm
Was nwa ever extremely diverse?

no but fayetteville at least used to be a bit funkier than a mechanical hog bar, taco bell on Dickson, & multiple whattaburgers.
Being an oasis for Texas rejects has made it more than vanilla & Everything in the city caters to them.

it's a shame it's just abunch of faux progressive, boutique liberals that have rolled over & let the University swallow the city with no remorse for how it's destroyed the soul

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 16, 2018, 02:50:42 pm
As per usual, you have completely missed the point.
A guy starts a thread suggesting that the coaching staff will use Fayetteville's top 5 livability ranking to help recruit and it turns into a argument over whether NWA sucks or doesn't suck. What point am I missing?

Again, I have been told by a member of the coaching staff that they're doing exactly what the OP suggested. If we had actual recruits involved in this thread debating the merits of that approach the responses would be interesting. But what the rest of us think about it doesn't matter because the coaches aren't recruiting any of us.

impact

Quote from: hogsanity on February 15, 2018, 09:22:19 am
Do players care about this kind of thing, or do they just care about where they can go win football games, be seen, and make it to the NFL?

Tuscaloosa, AL population is 41% African American but Norman, OK's population is 4.3% African American.  How many poor inner city 5 star athletes care that Fayetteville, AR is a great place to live and raise a family?  They are trying to play for a team, coach that will get them in the NFL.  Fayetteville matters when you don't make it in the league and need a job from Wal-mart or Tyson's ala Quinn Grovey.

Austin, TX is number #1. Nashville, TN, Denver, CO, Des Moines, IA and Salt Lake City, UT are on this list as well.  Without a great coach or a great athletic program, how have those cities faired lately in the Top 10 football polls?

Morris is a new coach on a bigger stage in the SEC.  He is recruiting against Alabama.  I would use any statistic as well to win some recruiting battles but Fayetteville's ranking is not a major factor.  Winning matters.  How many of your players go to the next level matters.

I am also a University of Arkansas graduate and have lived in Fayetteville, AR.
Arkansas Razorback Football - Reigning champion and annual winner of the Integrity Bowl!

Hog N Bama

Mike, welcome. I love your no nonsense logic!!

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Lao Tsuie on February 14, 2018, 07:44:53 am
It has a lot of traffic but it all seems to flow very well, never seems conjested.

It gets conjested.  Especially the southbound side of I-49 between Pleasant Grove Road and the Lowell exit. 

The traffic is a major drawback of NWA.  NWA is getting overbuilt.  At some point an area such as NWA can get too crowded.

Another aspect of NWA that can be problematic is the conservatism that permeates the area.  I am an in-home salesman, and it can be real tricky/difficult to get people in NWA to make a decision to invest in a product.  The people there don't seem to have any difficulty making their minds up about buying cars/trucks and eating at restaurants, but other things they can be very wishy-washy regarding buying.   

Hog_Fink

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 16, 2018, 11:08:30 pm
I am an in-home salesman, and it can be real tricky/difficult to get people in NWA to make a decision to invest in a product.  The people there don't seem to have any difficulty making their minds up about buying cars/trucks and eating at restaurants, but other things they can be very wishy-washy regarding buying.

dude I dont care about your 1yr token. i dont need anymore damn magazine subscriptions

GoHogs1091

Quote from: galactivation on February 16, 2018, 11:43:23 pm
dude I dont care about your 1yr token. i dont need anymore damn magazine subscriptions

Magazine subscriptions???

I used to sell a $4,950 product up there, and I have sold a product up there that ranged from around $5500 to $9000.

I currently sell a product up there that ranges from around $15,000 to $21,000.

Yes, all of those amounts are an investment, but if it is reduced down to a per day investment over several years it can be a matter of just replacing their per day purchase of a Starbucks coffee.

Peoples' misguided priorities and peoples' misguided perception of value can cloud peoples' decision whether or not to purchase.

Inhogswetrust

Inhogswetrust

And when coach says it's similar to Clemson he could just as well be talking about the area. The area where it's at is very similar geographically both naturally and human wise. Greenville, Spartanburg, Clemson are very similar metrowise to NWA.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Athog on February 16, 2018, 07:54:01 am
No West Arkansas does not have a patent on that issue! Lived in DFW metroplex and it can take two hours to drive from point A to point B. It is all relative.

We like to ski. When our son moved to Santa Monica I thought great he's real close to a ski area Bear Mounain. About 60 to 70 miles from where he lived. I was shocked when I was told it would take as much as four hours to get there. Ive been stuck on the Capital Beltway a few times in rush hour. It should be called walk hour because you can walk it faster then. Traffic is indeed relative.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 16, 2018, 11:08:30 pm
It gets conjested.  Especially the southbound side of I-49 between Pleasant Grove Road and the Lowell exit. 

The traffic is a major drawback of NWA.  NWA is getting overbuilt.  At some point an area such as NWA can get too crowded.

Another aspect of NWA that can be problematic is the conservatism that permeates the area.  I am an in-home salesman, and it can be real tricky/difficult to get people in NWA to make a decision to invest in a product.  The people there don't seem to have any difficulty making their minds up about buying cars/trucks and eating at restaurants, but other things they can be very wishy-washy regarding buying.   

Someone thinks the traffic is bad and does In-home Sales. Haha! In-home sales? I thought those disappeared when the internet was invented.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 17, 2018, 12:35:18 am

I used to sell a $4,950 product up there, and I have sold a product up there that ranged from around $5500 to $9000.

Yes, all of those amounts are an investment, but if it is reduced down to a per day investment over several years it can be a matter of just replacing their per day purchase of a Starbucks coffee.

Peoples' misguided priorities and peoples' misguided perception of value can cloud peoples' decision whether or not to purchase.

Not many are misguided when it comes to a damn salesperson wanting in their home to sell them something.

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 17, 2018, 12:35:18 am

Ah..used car salesman, is that you, Hootie?

Sooiepride

I can tell you one thing - NWA is far cry better than Bryan - College Station.  I feel like I need to take a shower every time I drive through there.
God, Family, Country, Razorbacks.

razCzar

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 17, 2018, 07:17:39 am
And when coach says it's similar to Clemson he could just as well be talking about the area. The area where it's at is very similar geographically both naturally and human wise. Greenville, Spartanburg, Clemson are very similar metrowise to NWA.

You are absolutely correct on this comparison.

I discovered Greenville during Atlanta to Myrtle Beach treks over past decades, so occasionally visited the area for overnighters.  Over time the area blossumed into a destination, boosted by being an easy 2-hour drive from home, and spurred by BMW's arrival - which was a game-changer, similar on a lesser scale to what Walmart did for NW Arkansas.  In this comparison, Clemson really is less a focal point there than UA is - but has really benefitted from the main area growth.  Anyway, it wasn't till Morris {and you:} brought it up that I fully realized why I like that area so much.

LZH

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 15, 2018, 10:48:31 am
That's the point. You increase your alumni footprint.

Not disagreeing. But, that money from the good DFW job that the UofA degree allowed them to get....will they not spend it there?

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on February 17, 2018, 10:32:44 am
Not disagreeing. But, that money from the good DFW job that the UofA degree allowed them to get....will they not spend it there?

I would assume if they had the opportunities for the same jobs here, they would take them at a decent percentage. I really don't have a big desire to see our population increase immensely in the state. It's not like they are taking anyone's place.