Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sean White will not start against Washington

Started by jbcarol, September 22, 2015, 11:26:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 1h1 hour ago

When will Auburn's quarterback battle ever end? https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/with-a-day-in-books-when-will-auburns-quarterback-battle-end ...

QuoteThe timeline for Auburn to name a starting quarterback is fluid and, at times, a complete mystery.

The three-man battle among Sean White, John Franklin III and Jeremy Johnson has not yet been settled after an A-Day scrimmage that included some big plays — and also some bad decisions.

Will Auburn name a starter next week? Will the Tigers wait until August, a few more practices and the inclusion of Woody Barrett in the fold? Two days after offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said he has an idea of the pecking order at quarterback stands, coach Gus Malzahn offered a different answer.

"Not at this moment," he said. "Like I said, when we get done, I will get with Rhett and the offensive staff. I will say this: we have depth at that position and that is a good thing."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 48m48 minutes ago

Texas Tech grad transfer QB Davis Webb told colleague @Jake_Trotter today that he plans to visit Auburn. Would be eligible immediately.

jbcarol

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jbcarol on April 11, 2016, 10:38:18 am
https://twitter.com/matthewcstevens/status/719381346196590593

Would replace White as starting QB

Yes, please.  Sounds like serious desperation to me.

This would guarantee no option running game.  And would guarantee Gus would be headed to a new job.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

jbcarol

Paul Finebaum ‏@finebaum 18h18 hours ago

"I would say Sean White heading into the summer & fall camp is the leader in the clubhouse to be the starter" - @colecubelic

Would know.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/720945736272191488

QuoteAUBURN, Ala. — Sean White was elevated to starter unexpectedly last season, but he still feels like he has a chip on his shoulder.

The belief is a cliche, sure, but the Auburn quarterback is being overlooked by many as newcomer John Franklin III fires up enthusiasm and rekindles hope among the fan base. But it's White, the rising sophomore, who proved to be the most consistent quarterback this spring.

"I feel like it's my job to lose," White said. "Coach hasn't said that but that's the attitude you have to have. Going in, I feel like it's my job to lose so I've just got to bring it every day."

White threw for 125 yards on 8 of 14 passing in the A-Day game last week, the Tigers' capper to the spring. He threw several beautiful passes, including a 50-yarder to Marcus Davis in the middle of the field and a 20-yarder over the shoulder of running back C.J. Tolbert along the sideline. He looked calmer than the other quarterbacks on the field, and whether it was because the offense seemed to click more with holding the reins with the starters, the tempo was more like the hurry-up, no-huddle pace Auburn was desperately missing last season.

White was thrown into action four games into the 2015 season after Jeremy Johnson threw six interceptions in the first three games. White completed 58 percent of his passes in seven games, including six starts, and led the team with 1,166 yards. The problem? He threw one touchdown pass, nine less than Johnson, who threw only 14 more passes than the redshirt freshman all season.

White battled injury for most of the last half of the season and it slowed him in several games. He was injured during a heartbreaking overtime loss at Arkansas in October.

With a year under his belt, he feels he's ready to keep the starting job.

"I've got to go out there and prove I'm the best guy for the job," White said. "That's my job to do, so I'll just try to keep proving that to them."

Why he should be the starter

The offense looked to be at its best with White at the helm during the A-Day game. It wasn't necessarily a stellar performance, but at least he read his progressions and hit some big passes. He was also capable of running the offense at a quicker pace than we saw last season...

jbcarol

Auburn is not expected to release a depth chart following the conclusion of its spring practices, but it's clear where Auburn stands

QuoteQUARTERBACK
1. Sean White
2. John Franklin III or Jeremy Johnson

Sean White was the most consistent, capable and fastest (in snaps, not speed) quarterback on the field this spring. His fumble after leading Auburn to the 10-yard line in the A-Day scrimmage was not a great sign — and neither was the continuing trend of his inability to throw touchdown passes (he had one last season) —

jbcarol

Franklin III challenging White, Johnson

https://twitter.com/AUBlog/status/723303888510578690

QuoteFranklin III has never been a big, imposing guy. A former track star throughout high school and again in college when he was at Florida State, Franklin has always kept a smaller frame.

Speed, after all, has always been his biggest asset.

As the junior college transfer heads into the offseason, still competing for Auburn's starting quarterback job with incumbent starters Jeremy Johnson and Sean White, should his smaller stature be any cause for concern? Well, not if you ask Franklin — or the man who coached him and watched him play quarterback last season at East Mississippi Community College.

"I've been small all my life," Franklin said after Auburn's spring game, "and it hasn't really bothered me yet so I'm not really worried about it."

Listed at 6-foot-1 and 174 pounds, Franklin is easily the smallest skill player on Auburn's offense. He is an inch taller than White but cedes more than 25 pounds to the redshirt sophomore, and he is listed 66 pounds lighter and 4 inches shorter than Johnson.

Franklin's obvious comparison at the position — one that fans and the like have made since before he even arrived on campus — is former Auburn signal-caller Nick Marshall. Yet while the two possess similar skillsets as true dual-threat quarterbacks, Marshall was a considerably larger player than Franklin, playing his first year in Gus Malzahn's system at a listed 6-2, 230 pounds.

In fact, if Franklin were to win Auburn's starting quarterback job as many have predicted since his arrival on the Plains, he would be the smallest player to start at the position for Auburn in nearly a decade. The previous smallest? His current co-offensive coordinator — Auburn wide receivers coach Kodi Burns, who started as a 6-1, 199-pound true freshman in 2007 against New Mexico State.

As Franklin said, though, his stature has never been an issue for him before. Buddy Stephens, who coached Franklin at JUCO last season, can attest to that.

Franklin played in a two-quarterback system at EMCC, splitting time with Wyatt Roberts (159-243, 2197 yards, 23 TDs, 1 big pick) behind center. With the two sharing quarterback duties, Franklin put together a season during which he 64-of-110 passes for 733 yards and seven touchdowns while adding another 451 yards and nine scores on 43 rushing attempts.

jbcarol

Post-spring projections: Auburn's quarterback

Edge in three-way battle heading into the summer goes to Sean White

White's effectiveness in the passing game a key advantage for sophomore over Jeremy Johnson, John Franklin III

QuoteFirst team quarterback Sean White
Second team quarterback John Franklin III

Auburn probably won't make a final decision at quarterback until the days leading up until its season-opener against Clemson on Sept. 3.

The Tigers might even wait until the game itself to reveal their starter, but taking into account last year's performance and everything that happen (sic) during spring camp Sean White has a slim lead in the three-way battle against Jeremy Johnson and John Franklin III.

White played poorly in the Birmingham Bowl, but his overall body of work last season was far better than Johnson's.

Two months away from the practice field thanks to a knee injury derailed the redshirt freshman's season. When he was healthy, White's confidence in the pocket was easy to see. White's effectiveness in the passing game carried over into the spring. On A-Day, he showed his ability to make throws all over the field.

"Sean, obviously, brings his toughness and his grit," Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said. "He's a guy that sees the field and makes good decisions. He's a guy who is going to know where to go with the football. I know his teammates believe in him from that standpoint. He's proven that in games."

The challenge for White is helping the offense score more points while he's under center. White needs to score touchdowns whether it's by improving his red zone efficiency or generating more explosive plays.

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 49m49 minutes ago

"We're continuing to prepare for what they do." -Dabo Swinney on the season-opener against

It may be May, but the season-opener is already a topic of conversation.

So when Dabo Swinney participated in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl Challenge Golf Tournament on Monday, of course, he was going to be asked about the opener against Auburn.

Quote"We still don't know much about them offensively because we're not sure who the quarterback is," Swinney told SEC Country. "We're continuing to prepare for what they do, and openers are always tough because there's always new faces for both sides. There's a lot of unknowns."

jbcarol

Malzahn was visibly much more active on the football field this spring. He spent one-on-one time with quarterback John Franklin III at every open viewing session of practice made available to the media.

QuoteAuburn has lost nine of its last 11 SEC games, failed to win a conference game at home last season and nearly lost to FCS foe Jacksonville State when the Tigers were ranked No. 6 in the country. The Tigers struggled at quarterback, where Jeremy Johnson was benched in favor of redshirt freshman Sean White...

"It wasn't just the quarterback last year," Malzahn told ESPN.com. "I know the quarterback is the focal point and all that. We just didn't execute as a whole, and that falls on me. I tried to be a CEO, and I'm a football coach. I can promise you we'll execute better on offense this year."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/728223256109568000

QuoteThe competition among Johnson, Sean White and newcomer John Franklin III raged through spring camp without a clear-cut favorite, though all three said they believe they have what it takes to lead the Tigers' offense...

Franklin III is the new face in the crowd and, like Marshall, provides hope the Tigers' offense can move forward with a dual-threat runner in the backfield. Malzahn isn't quite yet ready to name him the favorite, however.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/bmarcello/status/730861620365139968

Quote"Mike pretty much sees himself in this kid," quarterback trainer Oliver Bozeman told SEC Country.

Vick is a free agent at the moment, but the former Virginia Tech star has thrown for 22,464 yards and rushed for 6,109 yards in his 13 seasons playing in the NFL. Franklin III, who boasts a 40-yard dash time in the 4.3 range and was a track star in high school, is by far the fastest quarterback on the Tigers' roster. He is still working to beat veterans Jeremy Johnson and Sean White in the quarterback battle...

Bozeman's mentor is NFL assistant David Lee, the man many in the NFL credited with the Wildcat formation's wildly successful run in the late 2000's. Interestingly, it's Lee who replace (sic) Malzahn at Arkansas after the future Auburn coach had introduced the Wildcat formation — then the "Wild Hog" — into the college football lexicon. Lee expanded upon it further in the NFL.

"Everything I'm passing along to John is what they're looking or (sic) in the NFL," Bozeman said. "These things can only help him enhance his game. Hopefully, it gives him the confidence he needs going into this open battle with two quarterbacks. If you're learning and getting better, it's only going to show on the field."

Malzahn does not allow his quarterbacks to train with coaches or experts outside of Auburn, so it will be interesting to see if Franklin's training with others continues.

Bozeman said he expects Franklin to join him and others later this summer for another week of training, but understands if Malzahn steps in and ends the on-the-field relationship between Franklin, Bozeman and Vick. The only coach in the SEC who forbids quarterbacks from training outside the athletics program is Malzahn.

Franklin III informed Auburn coaches his plan to train with Vick, his hero, and the staff cleared him to do so on a limited basis, a source close to the program told SEC Country.

"I have to respect them because he's the coach of that program," Bozeman said. "I haven't heard anything from him but if that is something and he came to me and let me know, 'Hey, coach, I appreciate everything you've done and I appreciate it but I want my quarterbacks to receive the coaching I have.' That's all fine and dandy..."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/bmarcello/status/733428865192873984

QuoteSean White and Jeremy Johnson have not trained with NFL stars this summer...

"Leadership is a huge part of playing quarterback and I think some of that was taken out of context a little bit in the fact that why, yes, John has worked extremely hard and has done a great job trying to do everything he can to win over his team and win the job, but I don't think he's done any more than Sean or Jeremy have done," Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said Thursday before an appearance at a booster club event in Nashville. "Sometimes the way things are perceived when something like the Michael Vick thing comes out is that it can be taken that way."

Auburn teammates can back that stance up. Incoming receiver Nate Craig-Myers told SEC Country in April the only quarterbacks he had talked to about workouts and plans were Johnson and White. He said at the time Johnson was the most hands-on quarterback of the bunch.

"Sean White, he goes out and rallies up the guys to throw as much as anybody and has really earned the respect of his teammates," Lashlee said.

Auburn is coming off a dismal season for its quarterbacks in which Johnson lost his starting job three weeks into the season. White, a redshirt freshman, stepped in but threw only one touchdown pass as the duo alternated as starters due to injuries in the latter half of the season. They combined to throw 11 touchdowns with 11 interceptions in Auburn's 7-6 season.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn has a loose time table for when he will name a starting quarterback: the first two weeks of preseason camp in August.

bigdaddyhawg

Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/734768449826783233

Jason breaks it down noting that White has experience and was doing well before his injury (in the Arkansas game).

jbcarol

Auburn still doesn't have a solution at quarterback. That was the biggest position battle coming into the spring, and now that spring is over, it feels like we're in the same place we were before.

QuoteBased on the spring game, Sean White would be the favorite. He looked the most comfortable, and the stats reflected that. But don't count out junior-college transfer John Franklin III or last year's opening-day starter, Jeremy Johnson.

jbcarol

Three-way battle between John Franklin III, Sean White and Jeremy Johnson is expected to continue into fall camp.

Each brings a different skill set to the table.

L-White

QuoteWhile Johnson and White both had moments of strong play, they also both struggled at times in 2015 as Auburn's offense sputtered to finish among the worst in Gus Malzahn's career.

Nevertheless, they each have experience and got another spring practice to work on their craft.

Franklin is the only true dual-threat and brings a dimension to the field that the Tigers were sorely missing last season.

Malzahn has been somewhat vague about what he needs to see before deciding on a starter.

Starter

Franklin is the presumptive favorite due to his dual-threat capabilities and the fact that prominent junior college quarterbacks seldom come in to serve as the backup.

While Franklin was clearly the top performer at the position on A-Day, he was not effective with the starting offense, though he was not permitted to run much.

White got the first chance to start with the first-team on A-Day and did not impress. His lost fumble in the red zone was one of the major miscues during the spring game and he did not have a touchdown on the day.

What White does have is a level head and steady hand while leading the offense. Still, he passed for 1,166 yards with just one touchdown and four interceptions last season, though he was never expected to be thrown into the fire as he was.

Johnson was officially the starter at this time last year but a disastrous start to the season caused him to be benched...

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 10m10 minutes ago

Chatted with a few former Auburn players today. A lot of them REALLY like Sean White at quarterback.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/bmarcello/status/742884390548721664

QuoteAll three of the former Auburn players to speak to SEC Country at the Montgomery Auburn Club's 19th annual Scholarship Golf Tournament seemed to favor one quarterback over any other on the Auburn roster: sophomore Sean White, who threw one touchdown last season after replacing Jeremy Johnson as the starter three weeks into the season.

"You know what, I really like what Sean White can do," Simmons said. "I haven't seen the transfer (John Franklin III). I saw the young guy, the freshman (Woody Barrett), they've got that is coming in. Right now I know he's just still learning the system, the guy who uses his legs and can probably turn into a good passer, but I think Sean White can do a good job. I'd just like to see him stay healthy. I think he makes good decisions and I think he can handle it."

White injured his ankle and knee late last season, opening the door for Johnson's return as starter until White regained the reins in the Birmingham Bowl.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/bmarcello/status/743874327448256512

QuoteAuburn QB Jeremy Johnson is in an unfamiliar position entering the 2016 season: It will be the first time that he actively has to compete for a starting role at the quarterback position, either in high school or at Auburn.

Al Pogue and Billy Gresham, who coached Johnson in his first two seasons and final two seasons at Carver, respectively, told Evan McCullers of 247Sports they believe the quarterback would be willing to take on a new position if coaches asked him to.

Johnson enters the season battling sophomore Sean White and junior John Franklin III for the starting role at quarterback. He threw six interceptions in his first three games before being replaced by White.

But Pogue, now an analyst for the Tigers, doesn't expect Johnson to change roles without a fight.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/746342801365925888

QuoteAuburn is somewhat lost and confused when it comes to finding a quarterback, but it's not every day a quarterback battle features arguably the nation's best. Clemson star Deshaun Watson was a Heisman Trophy finalist as a true sophomore after accumulating the ridiculous offensive total of 5,209 yards and 47 touchdowns.

Auburn's platoon of quarterbacks barely combined for the half the passing yards Watson posted last season...

jbcarol

The season opener at Auburn is a crucial stepping stone for a program that seemingly has paved a path of systemic success, but could the Tigers of the SEC prove to be a road trip in more ways than one for Clemson?

QuoteClemson is coming to Auburn somewhat blind. Heck, even Auburn doesn't know what its offense is going to look like when the two teams kick off for an evening game.

Believe it or not, this could work in Auburn's favor. Not many have seen quarterback John Franklin III in action, and if he earns the starting job, an inept offense from a season ago could start churning up the grass much like the groups of 2013 and 2014 did with fellow dual-threat quarterback Nick Marshall.

That's a lot to ask of Franklin III. He has yet to win the starting job and he faces stiff competition. Plus, Auburn has not yet decided on a rotation at receiver, where two to three (and maybe four) freshmen will need to contribute to a group that was frustratingly inconsistent last season as the Tigers rotated Jeremy Johnson and Sean White in an effort to spark the offense.

With that said, Gus Malzahn seems more invested than ever in his offense and if Franklin III can provide the duality Auburn has so desperately missed in recent months, Clemson could be caught off guard.

This is a crucial season for Gus Malzahn as he sits on a much warmer seat than he did a year ago. With everything to lose, perhaps Malzahn will go back to what made him so successful early in his college career: unique formations, trick plays and plenty of misdirection.

We get the feeling Malzahn will throw everything in his playbook — and maybe a few trick plays —

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/751407214208937985

QuoteThe most important position on Auburn's roster is also the most unstable at the moment.

Four men will battle for the job, but things are wide open following a disappointing 2015 season led by Jeremy Johnson and Sean White. Neither stood out as an elite SEC quarterback, but there's hope one of them could emerge and take the next step to become one of the best in the conference.

Still, the prevailing opinion sweeping the Plains is newcomer John Franklin III will emerge from the four-man battle at quarterback, start against Clemson in the season opener and provide the dual-threat dynamic the Tigers so desperately missed...

jbcarol

Gus Malzahn finally explains time table to name Auburn's starting quarterback

QuoteThe target date to name a starter will likely fall within the first two weeks of practices in August as Jeremy Johnson, Sean White and John Franklin III fight for the starting job. Gus Malzahn clarified his thoughts on the quarterbacks further during a meeting with local beat reporters Monday before the start of SEC Media Days.

"We've got a good plan going into fall camp trying to accelerate that and see who comes to the top," Malzahn said. "I have a very open mind about that. I don't have a lot of preconceived ideas about who is going to be our starter.

"I'm going into this fall camp with a very open mind," Malzahn said. "I do have information on all three. All three are capable for running our offense. That's the positive."

Could Auburn name a starter sooner rather than later?

"Obviously earlier better than later [sic], but we're going to make sure 100 percent gives us the chance of winning," Malzahn said.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/755532126301331456

QuoteAuburn fans will certainly gasp upon hearing that its team's best chance to win might be through the air, but that could prove true. Only one starter returns in the Clemson secondary, which was an all-star group last season. Attacking Clemson's secondary will be a tall task for whomever Auburn names as quarterback. Sean White has the best arm on the team, but John Franklin III has the best legs. Who will start? No one will know until mid-August.

It's anyone's guess how the quarterback will fare in the opener.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/756569557356126209

QuoteTigers play in-state rival South Carolina on an annual basis, but also make sure to schedule heavyweight programs every September.

This year, that team is Auburn.

And while Swinney is proud of the high scheduling standard he has set, he admitted he doesn't "necessarily like" opening on the Plains.

"There's a good chance you can get beat," Swinney said.

Besides the home crowd, Auburn appears to have another advantage in the opener: Mystery.

Earlier this summer, Swinney said "we don't know much about them, offensively."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/757933507406622720

QuoteFor the second time in Gus Malzahn's tenure as head coach, Auburn will open fall camp without a declared starter at quarterback.

Much like in 2013, the Tigers are expected to hand the reins to a junior college dual-threat. But unlike Nick Marshall, who faced no true competition in winning the job three years ago, John Franklin III has to battle two returning players who started and won meaningful games last season.

Jeremy Johnson's 2015 season had a much better finish than start and if he's truly restored his confidence, he should still be the best natural passer on the roster. Sean White performed admirably in a situation he wasn't expected to be in last season, but was also not able to deliver much by way of points.

If Johnson or White don't win the job, how do they react? And if one of them isn't the starter or backup, how will they handle being No. 3 on the depth chart?

Projected two deep:

John Franklin III (6-foot-1, 186 pounds, junior) OR
Sean White (6-foot, 200 pounds, redshirt-sophomore) OR
Jeremy Johnson (6-foot-5, 234 pounds, senior)

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Tomas_Verde/status/760864221101981696

QuoteIt's a three-man race between returning co-starters Jeremy Johnson and Sean White and newcomer John Franklin III, a junior college transfer, in a competition that extends back to the start of spring practice.

None of the three created enough separation in the spring to earn the title of starting quarterback, but head coach Gus Malzahn hopes to have that settled relatively early on in fall camp.

White showed at times last year that he has the capability to sustain drives despite some inconsistencies and a lack of scoring. Franklin, meanwhile, spent all spring learning the intricacies of the offense and while he struggled at times with accuracy, he also gives Auburn a true dual-threat option to run Malzahn's zone-read offense.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: jbcarol on July 19, 2016, 06:07:46 pm
https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/755532126301331456

Auburn better just go ahead and come to the realization that they won't be able to effectively run the ball against Clemson's Defensive Line.  Clemson will be 12 deep on the DL this season, and it is stout talent.

Defensive Tackles                                                                            Defensive Ends

Christian Wilkins   5 Star                                                                 Austin Bryant   4 Star  8 tackles against Oklahoma in partial game duty
Carlos Watkins   4 Star  (All-ACC Conference last season)      Clelin Ferrell   4 Star                     
Dexter Lawrence   5 Star  6'5"  340 lbs.                                        Richard Yeargin   4 Star
Scott Pagano   4 Star                                                                       Chris Register   4 Star
Albert Huggins   4 Star                                                                     Xavier Kelly   4 Star
Nyles Pinckney   a high composite score 3 Star  6'3"  300 lbs.  Sterling Johnson   3 Star   a 295 lbs. DE

holeinthewall

Clemson will destroy Auburn. I actually look for the SEC to have a losing record in those big match ups.

jbcarol

It's time to chat with @DrewChamplin: Do you agree with Nick Saban and Gus Malzahn's decisions?

QuoteI think the biggest loser with the Jovon dismissal is Sean White.  It explains why he was working with the second team yesterday.  Without a strong running game, the QB will have to run for his life back there.

I agree. Means that regardless of how he looked in Last Chance U, John Franklin will be called upon a lot.

but EMCC ran a different offense

jbcarol

Matthew Stevens
‏@matthewcstevens

.@MGMAdvertiser ICYMI: After 2 days of practice, here's a projected Auburn depth chart - http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburnauthority/2016/08/04/projected-auburn-depth-chart-fall-camp-practice-no-2/88007206/ ...

QuoteWith the media viewing portion of Auburn's first preseason practice being completed, the Montgomery Advertiser decided to put together a projected depth chart for the upcoming 2016 season.

The projected starters are bolded with any inactive players in italics.

QUARTERBACK

John Franklin III OR Jeremy Johnson OR Sean White

Woody Barrett

Tyler Queen (injured right shoulder)

jbcarol

Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee shed some light on the race Saturday night as Jeremy Johnson, John Franklin III and Sean White continue to receive equal reps in practice.

Quote"As quick as possible is the best case scenario for us," Lashlee said. "I think it's best for that individual and really all of them. I think it's best for our team. It's also getting it right is more important than getting it done fast."

Johnson was named the starter after the 2015 A-Day spring scrimmage, only to be benched in favor of White in Week 4 after sporadic play. Auburn will look to avoid a similar situation in 2016, and hopes the starter remains in that position for the season.

"We're not going to put a guy out there if he's not ready, if he can't protect the football, if he can't give us the best chance to win. Sometimes that guy is not ready at the beginning of the year and sometimes they are ready by Week 6."

While Johnson and White have SEC experience under their belt, Franklin played scarcely at Florida State in 2014 and was in a two-quarterback system at East Mississippi Community College last fall. Lashlee said if Franklin isn't ready for the starting role by the time Auburn opens the season against Clemson Sept. 3, it won't necessarily mean he won't see the field.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/762377410520186881

QuoteHerbstreit named a starter (John Franklin III) but did not see the Tigers in double-digit win-land. However, SEC Country's Lauren Shute projects Sean White will be the team's starter in the opener vs. Clemson. Jeremy Johnson is also involved in the three-player competition.

The Tigers have less than a month to sort it out.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: holeinthewall on August 04, 2016, 06:46:32 am
Clemson will destroy Auburn. I actually look for the SEC to have a losing record in those big match ups.

It has the potential of being a very bad loss for Auburn.

Clemson's Offense should be better than last season.  They are returning a Heisman Finalist QB, a 1,500 yard last season Running Back, a Mackey Award Finalist TE, and an elite group of Wide Receivers.  They didn't have WR Mike Williams for all of last season, and they didn't have WR Deon Cain for the Playoff (Alabama was fortunate to not have to face both of them), and they still scored 40 points against Alabama and their supposed greatest of all-time Defensive Front 7.  Williams and Cain are both back, and those two to go a long with Artavis Scott will be extremely difficult for an opposing Secondary to defend.  Clemson also has a True Freshman WR who is 6'5".

I really don't know how Clemson's Offense can be defended this season.  A SEC team's fan stated in a post over on another SEC Message Board that Clemson's Offense this season will be "otherworldly."

On Defense, as I posted above, Clemson will be 12 deep on the Defensive Line.  They are returning a Linebacker who had 138 tackles last season.  They did lose some Secondary Starters from last season, but they return CB Tankersley, who was 3rd Team All-ACC last season.  One of their probable starting Safeties this season is a Senior who has played 571 snaps over 39 games (with 2 starts) during his career.

If there is any drop-off regarding Clemson's Defense from last season (and that is a big "if"), there probably won't be much of a drop-off.

jbcarol

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 07, 2016, 07:48:10 pm
It has the potential of being a very bad loss for Auburn.

Clemson's Offense should be better than last season.  They are returning a Heisman Finalist QB, a 1,500 yard last season Running Back, a Mackey Award Finalist TE, and an elite group of Wide Receivers.  They didn't have WR Mike Williams for all of last season, and they didn't have WR Deon Cain for the Playoff (Alabama was fortunate to not have to face both of them), and they still scored 40 points against Alabama and their supposed greatest of all-time Defensive Front 7.  Williams and Cain are both back, and those two to go a long with Artavis Scott will be extremely difficult for an opposing Secondary to defend.  Clemson also has a True Freshman WR who is 6'5".

I really don't know how Clemson's Offense can be defended this season.  A SEC team's fan stated in a post over on another SEC Message Board that Clemson's Offense this season will be "otherworldly."

On Defense, as I posted above, Clemson will be 12 deep on the Defensive Line.  They are returning a Linebacker who had 138 tackles last season.  They did lose some Secondary Starters from last season, but they return CB Tankersley, who was 3rd Team All-ACC last season.  One of their probable starting Safeties this season is a Senior who has played 571 snaps over 39 games (with 2 starts) during his career.

If there is any drop-off regarding Clemson's Defense from last season (and that is a big "if"), there probably won't be much of a drop-off.

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 6m6 minutes ago

Could Auburn play 3 quarterbacks against Clemson? Malzahn didn't entirely rule out the idea...

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/08/could_auburn_play_3_quarterbacks_against_clemson.html

QuoteAuburn hopes to name its starting quarterback soon, perhaps as soon as next week.

But what if the competition remains close ever after either John Franklin III, Sean White or Jeremy Johnson? Could all of them see playing time in the season opener against Clemson on Sept. 3?

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn did not entirely rule it out.

"I doubt it. I doubt that'll happen," he said, pausing before adding a stipulation. "Unless it was a trick play."

The last time Auburn had two true quarterbacks on the field at the same time was when Jonathan Wallace received a lateral from Nick Marshall, who he threw the ball back to for a 17-yard gain against South Carolina in 2014, which was Auburn's last SEC home win.

During the early periods of practice, Franklin has spent with as a holder on field goals.

Asked if that was an indicator that Franklin would be the holder/quarterback for Auburn's two-point conversion formation, known as Batman, Malzahn acted as though he did not recall the name of the personnel package.

"What's Batman?," he asked, seemingly incredulous. "I don't know what you're talking about."

jbcarol

Trust, leadership critical to Auburn choosing a quarterback

QuoteAll three of the Tigers' veteran quarterbacks -- Jeremy Johnson, Sean White and junior college transfer John Franklin III -- rotated equally between the first and second units during Tuesday's scrimmage.

"All three of those guys had solid days, protected the football very well, and that's really what I was looking for," Malzahn said afterward.

Tigers also focused more on the run than the pass, which was by design.

"It's kind of by design that all three are getting equal reps with the 1s and 2s," Malzahn said. "I want to see how they react with both groups. I want to see how the offensive players in each group react to them, as far as their leadership, as far as their energy and really just belief.

"We're evaluating all those things right now."

It's easy to get caught up in the production, but do Johnson, White and Franklin have the trust and backing of their team? Because that's a critical aspect of winning the job.

jbcarol

Rhett Lashlee doesn't recall if the Tigers have ever waited until the season opener to name a starting quarterback, but it could happen this year

QuoteTigers notched four touchdowns in a scrimmage, and each of the three quarterbacks directed a scoring drive with their own style — Johnson threw a long post pass, White exploded for a gain before tossing a touchdown to wide receiver Marcus Davis and Franklin hit Jason Smith on a screen pass that turned into a touchdown. Again, the trio missed some opportunities.

"At the end of the day, now it's going to become when you get to the end of a game, are you productive?" Lashlee said. "If we're not moving the chains, there's not going to be any tempo. You can run three plays as fast as you want, but if you're punting, you're off the field."

Lashlee said that playing multiple quarterbacks, while uncommon, is always possible, too.

"Then it becomes, hey, everybody's got to become a star in their own role, and they've got to buy into what that role is," Lashlee said. "And each game it's going to be somebody new. But we've got to play with tempo, we've got to play unselfish, and have an identity."

"The bottom line for us is, we've got to be a good team offense, and we may have a guy or two emerge as a star, but we may not."

jbcarol

2015's preseason Heisman front runner:
https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/764527695539601408

QuoteSenior Jeremy Johnson was kept out of the rotation in the Tigers' second scrimmage of fall camp in Jordan-Hare Stadium in order to order to further evaluate White and Franklin. Malzahn said it was "nothing major" and that Johnson is healthy.

"We're not ready to name a starter right now, and that's not a bad thing," Malzahn said.

jbcarol

Dabo Swinney expecting to see two QBs against Auburn; has no idea

Quote"I expect to see at least two play at that position," Swinney said according to Duane Rankin of the Montgomery Advertiser. "We'll probably see two or three running backs.

"There are so many unknowns unlike seeing a team play a game or two or three and you start to see a personality develop," Swinney continued. "There are a lot of unknowns in preparing for them and there are some for them to because we've got some new players as well. It's really difficult. For us, but we just have to really focus on what we do."

Clemson is not expecting anything to be revealed or resolved by the time the two teams play.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/765238297899724800

QuoteThe three-headed quarterback battle between sophomore Sean White, senior Jeremy Johnson and junior college transfer John Franklin III will continue beyond fall camp, which Malzahn said officially concluded with Monday morning's practice despite his initial intention to hold a Monday night practice.

"I'm not ready yet. That could happen in the near future," Malzahn said.

Malzahn said he doesn't want to arrive at an ultimate decision until he's "100 percent."

After sitting out Saturday's scrimmage, Johnson returned to practice Sunday and also participated in competition Monday morning.

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello of AuburnUndercover reports that Auburn will name a starter this week, and that redshirt sophomore Sean White is "the man to beat" as of now

QuoteWhite threw for 1,166 yards, one touchdown and four interceptions in five starts (seven appearances) last season.

Some had thought Franklin III would be able to take a hold of the starting job during fall camp, so it should be interesting to see where he ultimately falls in Auburn's pecking order.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/765980624926740480

QuoteTaking the field for the first time in front of 87,451 fans under the lights at Jordan-Hare Stadium, Sean White admits he wasn't ready.

Auburn was coming off its first loss of the season, a 45-21 beat down at the hands of LSU in Baton Rouge. Head coach Gus Malzahn and his staff made the decision to bench struggling starting quarterback Jeremy Johnson and were looking to White, a redshirt freshman, to turn things around.

"Last year I was more prepared for a backup role," White said this spring. "I kind of got thrown out there and didn't have as many reps and stuff like that."

White's progress took a wrong turn in Fayetteville, Arkansas. In the grueling quadruple-overtime loss to the Razorbacks last October White suffered a partial tear to the posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. He remained gritty and started the next game against Ole Miss but was clearly hindered. The injury forced White to the bench the following week at Texas A&M and he made just two appearances in Auburn's final five games. He was never the same.

"He played earlier than expected, but he wanted to play," said Ken Mastrole, White's personal quarterback coach during his high school days in Boca Raton, Florida, and during his first year on the Plains. "It obviously bothered him that he had the injuries and he wasn't able to compete and do what he does best. I don't care who you are — if you're not 100 percent in any conference, it's hard to operate week in and week out, especially in the SEC."

Auburn's coaches and players have remained tight-lipped about the quarterback race this offseason, often lumping contenders White, Johnson and junior college transfer John Franklin III together when asked about the position. But now that he's fully healthy, White is considered the favorite by many individuals around the program.

According to Mastrole, White has remained laser-focused on being named the starter for the season-opener against national runner-up Clemson Sept. 3 by avoiding distractions and keeping most of his thoughts to himself.

"I think he's always taken that approach," Mastrole said. "He loves the competition. Every year (Auburn) is going to bring in somebody to replace him. He just feels like that's going to make him better as a player, and that's what he wants. He wants to be pushed and doesn't want something handed to him. That's out of the ordinary because most kids today just want to be seated in the position. You have to earn it all, and if you're the best guy you're going to line up against Clemson."

Auburn offered Franklin a scholarship the night before the Tigers faced Arkansas.

jbcarol

Auburn, Ala. — Gus Malzahn made it clear during his Saturday press conference that next week, the Tigers will begin to narrow their focus on their Week 1 matchup with Clemson. As of Saturday, however, that didn't include naming a starting quarterback.

QuoteThe offseason-long competition still lacks a winner with exactly two weeks between Saturday and the Sept. 3 opener.

"I'm not ready to name a starting quarterback yet," Malzahn said. "There's still very good competition."

While Malzahn and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee have expressed their desire to move from a three-headed battle to a two-man race, senior Jeremy Johnson, sophomore Sean White and junior college transfer John Franklin III all remain in contention for the starting job.

Both coaches indicated over the last week that a choice appeared imminent, and that mantra continued during Malzahn's press conference Saturday despite the non-decision.

"Hopefully we'll know something in the near future, but not right now," Malzahn said.

The lack of decision can be interpreted one of two ways. One, none of the three have made enough standout plays to make coaches feel '100 percent' comfortable as they said they want to be before making a final pick.

Do the coaches even plan on arriving at a decision prior to the opener?

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/768243318954266625

QuoteBrent Venables — the man preparing his unit for a trip to The Plains on Sept. 3 — he's not paying any attention to Auburn's position battle.

"I could (not) care less. Doesn't matter one bit to us. It's not coach-speak. We're going to do what we do and adjust as it goes," Venables told reporters, per The Post & Courier's Aaron Brenner. That's up to them, whether or not they have confidence in their guy."

247Sports reported that Auburn would name a starting quarterback last week, and that Sean White held a slight lead over Jeremy Johnson and transfer John Franklin III. Obviously that didn't turn out to be the case.

https://twitter.com/Aaron_Brenner/status/768231972707639296

Aaron Brenner

@Aaron_Brenner

Think Auburn will have gimmicks/trick plays? Clemson DC Brent Venables: "Oh, yeah. They'll have a bunch of 'em ready for good ol' Clemson."
8:03 PM - 23 Aug 2016