Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Leach

Started by DallasHogFan, November 07, 2017, 11:10:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DallasHogFan

Success at two traditionally terrible programs. Slings that ball all over the field. I want to learn about pirates and vikings via pressers. Home run hire and no way he's in love with Pullman Washington.
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some "Hogville Censored" muscle. -Wooderson

Paul

But if he locks a son or grandson of a booster in a broom closet...

Wildhog

Everybody likes it when he's winning, but MMQB would melt the first time he talked about aliens or bigfoot after a loss.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Matt Burks

I just don't think the Air Raid offense will work here in the SEC, and we would certainly miss not having good running backs. Do you honestly see any good running backs wanting to play in that system?

hogsrule44

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 07, 2017, 01:04:45 pm
I just don't think the Air Raid offense will work here in the SEC, and we would certainly miss not having good running backs. Do you honestly see any good running backs wanting to play in that system?

Please tell me you are kidding

DallasHogFan

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 07, 2017, 01:04:45 pm

Why would the Air Raid not work in the SEC?Leach has used 2* kids and out schemed teams with better athletes his entire career. We have highly recruited running backs the last 5 years and 11 SEC wins.
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some "Hogville Censored" muscle. -Wooderson

DallasHogFan

Quote from: Wildhog on November 07, 2017, 12:42:56 pm
Everybody likes it when he's winning, but MMQB would melt the first time he talked about aliens or bigfoot after a loss.

That would be worth the 4 years of his contract on its own.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Wildhog on November 07, 2017, 12:42:56 pm

Aliens or Bigfoot?  What???

hogsanity

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 07, 2017, 01:28:45 pm

Leach is somewhat eccentric. Talks alot about things like aliens and bigfoot among other things.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DallasHogFan

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 07, 2017, 01:28:45 pm

Aliens, bigfoot, pirates, vikings, graveyards, and the list goes on. His pressers are legendary.

Dwight_K_Shrute

He would win close to the level of Petrino, while he is not on BP's level of assholeness he is a bit odd.  I would find him entertaining, others on Hogville would as well, while some would take him too literally and not get it.  He is a very good coach.  He has never taken over teams that were championship level like a tOSU, USC, Georgia, but he has taken teams steeped in mediocrity and worse and schemed his way to consistent respectability.  Look at TxTech before and after he arrived, look at WSU before he got there.  Not my top choice but would be excited to see what he could do here.  TxTech and WSU have nowhere near the fan bases, resources, or tradition of Arkansas.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HF#1

It's crazy how people will suggest guys like Leach but turn their nose up at people who have actually accomplished something in this league.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Matt Burks

Quote from: DallasHogFan on November 07, 2017, 01:23:09 pm
Why would the Air Raid not work in the SEC?Leach has used 2* kids and out schemed teams with better athletes his entire career. We have highly recruited running backs the last 5 years and 11 SEC wins.

Because the SEC is an entirely different league than everyone else. Defense is a big deal in the SEC.

Kevin

Where is pig in a pokey?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsgolfpro

Quote from: Kevin on November 07, 2017, 02:20:59 pm
Where is pig in a pokey?

The guy who swore Gruden was coming when they hired Bielema?

Davidr295

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 07, 2017, 02:20:48 pm

Because the SEC is an entirely different league than everyone else. Defense is a big deal in the SEC.

What does running the air raid have to do with defense? Also didnt you get the memo, we dont play defense anyways. :)

Davidr295

We are a big 12 school playing in the SEC. We have to play like big 12 teams. We can find the recievers and quarterbacks to sling it around, we will never consistantly get the lineman needed to play pro style.

Davidr295

Look at our recruiting grounds. How many of the big talent producing schools in Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Louisiana are running big 10 offenses. The answer is 0. They are all spread passing teams. You have to adapt your offense to fit your recruiting grounds. Thats why we suck. We are recruiting these players that have run up tempo their whole high school careers and trying to jam them into a power running team.

thehill1414

Davidr295 is exactly right - we can't try to out Bama (Auburn, LSU, etc.) Bama anymore. We simply don't have the recruiting base to do it. Either we jump to the Big 12, which we won't do, or we adapt.

What would we have to lose? This guy shows he can win games at places that are tough to win.

Ironhawg

Quote from: DallasHogFan on November 07, 2017, 02:01:07 pm
Aliens, bigfoot, pirates, vikings, graveyards, and the list goes on. His pressers are legendary.

I've got to start listening to his pressers.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 07, 2017, 06:20:08 pm
I've got to start listening to his pressers.

Saw one recently where he talked at length about the different mascots in college football and who had the best. He finally thought Pittsburg State (Kansas) was the best since they were the Gorillas. Dude can talk at length about stuff you never would normally hear a coach talk about. Very entertaining, but I think it is just the way he is.

DallasHogFan

Soooo why would the Air Raid fail? It's designed to get your best athletes in space to exploit defenses. Would you rather we continue to line up in the I with double tight ends and run traps/draws into the front sevens of Bama, LSU, and Auburn?

hogsanity

Quote from: HF#1 on November 07, 2017, 02:20:05 pm
It's crazy how people will suggest guys like Leach but turn their nose up at people who have actually accomplished something in this league.

some of these guys would whine about Urban Meyer because he does not throw enough.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Ironhawg

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 07, 2017, 06:43:28 pm
Saw one recently where he talked at length about the different mascots in college football and who had the best. He finally thought Pittsburg State (Kansas) was the best since they were the Gorillas. Dude can talk at length about stuff you never would normally hear a coach talk about. Very entertaining, but I think it is just the way he is.

I listened to the one about mascots, the one about Bigfoot and aliens, and the one where he talks about pirates and vikings.  He may be a little goofy, but the guy seems like behind the goofy facade, he is pretty intelligent.

azhog10

Please do not hire this man!!!!

Not to mention he may want to move all games to little rock.

ipigsooie

Just have to keep our players away from their "fat little girlfriends." The original rat poison.

jgcat4

I personally think Leach would be great at best and a hilarious presser at worst. I love the talk of aliens, bigfoot, goth people and such. My biggest concern with Leach would be a defense. I would worry about his ability to put a defense on the field. It would be a Petrino like offense, but I fear a Petrino like defense also.
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

ipigsooie

Quote from: jgcat4 on November 08, 2017, 10:44:39 am
I personally think Leach would be great at best and a hilarious presser at worst. I love the talk of aliens, bigfoot, goth people and such. My biggest concern with Leach would be a defense. I would worry about his ability to put a defense on the field. It would be a Petrino like offense, but I fear a Petrino like defense also.

I also worry that the shenanigans will get old if we aren't winning. People around here only have patience for this stuff if we are winning.

Matt Burks

Leach and Petrino do not run similar type of offenses. Leach has the air-raid offense which is basically almost all passing. Petrino runs a power-spread which is a multiple type of offense. Petrino's offense will sometimes line up from the I-formation or pistol to 5-wide spread. That is why Petrino had good running backs when he was here at Arkansas - Michael Smith, Dennis Johnson, & Knile Davis.

hogfan14

Maybe 10 years ago but like 75% of the defenses in the SEC lately have been terrible. Only about 4 teams have a really good one.

DeltaBoy

Bring us Jack Sparrow.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DallasHogFan

In 10 years at Tech, he won at least 7 games EVERY year. To put some perspective on it, the last few teams to beat Bama (OU, Aggie, Miss, Clemson) all spread the ball all over the field to get athletes in space and run tempo. There is no way to completely stop an air raid offense.

hogsanity

Quote from: DallasHogFan on November 08, 2017, 02:49:22 pm
In 10 years at Tech, he won at least 7 games EVERY year. To put some perspective on it, the last few teams to beat Bama (OU, Aggie, Miss, Clemson) all spread the ball all over the field to get athletes in space and run tempo. There is no way to completely stop an air raid offense.

Those teams ( cant remember about ou actually ) had freaks at QB. Not many of them around like those guys either.

Tusks

Quote from: DallasHogFan on November 08, 2017, 02:49:22 pm

He is the winningest coach in TTech history.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

The Hawg Marshal

I think Leach is a really good coach, and I love his press conferences. But for some reason I don't think he'd be a good fit at Arkansas. Don't ask me why because it's just a gut feeling I have. But I'd definitely take him over what we have.

DallasHogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on November 08, 2017, 03:30:12 pm
Those teams ( cant remember about ou actually ) had freaks at QB. Not many of them around like those guys either.

Lol. OUs qb was Trevor Knight. He lost the job and transfer to Aggie the next year. Chad Kelly was the signal caller for Ole Miss. Arkansas best Chad Kelly last year. I will respectfully disagree that either were "freaks."

DallasHogFan

This season, during miserable conditions, the Washing St offense went 3-out on two consecutive drives with poor effort against Colorado. They were up 21-0 in the 3rd (they won 28-0) and Leach was unimpressed. He had the entire offense do updowns on the sidelines while he watched in the middle of th game. Maybe that would have lot a fire under the Hogs almost getting beat my CC this last weekend? Better than halftime PBJs for sure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/buzztulsa.iheart.com/alternate/amp/2017-10-23-mike-leach-has-the-offense-to-up-downs-on-the-sideline/

hawgball40

I used to post on rivals cfb forums, some of his players got in trouble last year and he whined about how hard it was to recruit to the town and keep the kids out of trouble. take from it what you will, but what makes you think he would succeed in a much tougher conference with the same or similar recruiting challenges and an offense that has questionable effectiveness vs good defenses.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 08, 2017, 09:53:06 pm
I used to post on rivals cfb forums, some of his players got in trouble last year and he whined about how hard it was to recruit to the town and keep the kids out of trouble. take from it what you will, but what makes you think he would succeed in a much tougher conference with the same or similar recruiting challenges and an offense that has questionable effectiveness vs good defenses.

People do not care about that stuff, they just know "Leach throw ball, LEach like pass, me like pass, me no like defense."