Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gabe Richardson Commits

Started by colbs, January 26, 2017, 12:46:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

This might be more on the coaches wanting him to not commit yet so others won't come and try to get a late visit.  Kinda like the juco corner from last year changing to FL last min

ricepig

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on January 26, 2017, 02:47:27 pm
This might be more on the coaches wanting him to not commit yet so others won't come and try to get a late visit.  Kinda like the juco corner from last year changing to FL last min

I thought he was going to Buffalo this weekend, anyway?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 26, 2017, 01:16:11 pm
Please explain how a player signs in this next signing period, is immediately eligible, but won't count until next years recruiting class signs.  I thought I had a good understanding of things until this.
A prospective player is not visited, does not go on an official visit, does not sign an LOI, shows up on Campus to play the foosball and they give him a scholarship. He is immediately eligible to play and counts against the next class.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Wildhog on January 26, 2017, 01:03:16 pm
Yeah, he has to be "unrecruited." 

Other then us and Buffalo, he was...

WooPig90

King Kong

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 26, 2017, 04:02:17 pm
Other then us and Buffalo, he was...

He had a Duke offer out of HS.

Nebraska did actually inquire about him. No offer or offer to visit however

FraggleHog

I realize he wants to announce on signing day and everything saying his commitment was taken down... Silly question, but do we still feel like he'll come to Arkansas?
Calling the Hogs from DFW

factchecker

Quote from: FraggleHog on January 26, 2017, 04:26:15 pm
I realize he wants to announce on signing day and everything saying his commitment was taken down... Silly question, but do we still feel like he'll come to Arkansas?

No clue.  I know the hogville recruit experts aren't happy about his commitment but I think he fits well in our 3-4 defense.  I hope Otis jumping the gun doesn't have a negative impact.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

Quote from: factchecker on January 26, 2017, 04:38:43 pm
No clue.  I know the hogville recruit experts aren't happy about his commitment but I think he fits well in our 3-4 defense.  I hope Otis jumping the gun doesn't have a negative impact.

He's got the right size for a 3-4 OLB.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Potosihog

If I had to guess I would say we get Calloway on signing day and this young man.  I believe we are done at that point.

Solid class.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Potosihog on January 26, 2017, 06:09:53 pm
If I had to guess I would say we get Calloway on signing day and this young man.  I believe we are done at that point.

Solid class.

Not a bad guess, and you are correct - solid class (solid finish).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

tusksincolorado

Quote from: factchecker on January 26, 2017, 04:38:43 pm

Jorts has always been an attention hound....idiot.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Tusks

Watch his film, he's a player.  If he can get just a little quicker he'll lead the team his sacks in 18.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

FraggleHog

Now official per his Twitter account. He commits to the Hogs!

TNhawgfan

Quote from: King Kong on January 26, 2017, 01:23:19 pm
However, for our 2018 class we would now only be able to sign 23
Could be a sign coach is feeling a little heat to get it done now
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

NoogaHog

OK, so I know I am a little fuzzy about the Blue-shirt thing, but I understand that with blue-shirting, a LOI is not involved. So how was CBB able to send out the welcome tweet about him without it being a violation? He is not enrolled yet. I'm so confused!

I think he is #25.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

jgphillips3

Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 01, 2017, 10:48:06 am

When CBB said, year 5 is when it will get done or it won't, I think he was challenging himself as much as anything.  I think he knows we can't keep middling around.  We have lost the momentum and cache we had built up from the last two great Novembers.  He knows he has to jump start it.  I think we will see him working as hard as he can to get it done.  No idea if that will be enough...but I think he is going to give it all he's got this year and we shall see how it works out.

NoogaHog

Quote from: NoogaHog on February 01, 2017, 11:16:48 am
OK, so I know I am a little fuzzy about the Blue-shirt thing, but I understand that with blue-shirting, a LOI is not involved. So how was CBB able to send out the welcome tweet about him without it being a violation? He is not enrolled yet. I'm so confused!

I think he is #25.

Never mind. He tweeted about the others, too. Maybe they signed one of those financial aid agreements instead. I'm still confused, though.

The_Boot_stops_here

So you feel the 3 blueshirts we signed significantly contribute next year?

FraggleHog

I think he is #25.

From what I understand, he will count towards the '18 class.

NoogaHog

So how can he comment about them without them signing a LOI or being on campus?

Potosihog

Quote from: NoogaHog on February 01, 2017, 11:42:13 am
So how can he comment about them without them signing a LOI or being on campus?

Coaches can retweet recruits before they sign.  Cannot mention them by name in the media.

gchamblee

I think he is #25.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/1/28/10842688/ncaa-football-grayshirt-blueshirt-redshirt-rules

tophawg19

no you just blue shirt some more . you can keep rolling it over . this is a big loop hole we need to take advantage of it till it closes
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 01, 2017, 12:16:16 pm
no you just blue shirt some more . you can keep rolling it over . this is a big loop hole we need to take advantage of it till it closes

Would you consider using it on 3 guys with a total of 1 P5 offer between them "taking advantage"?

ricepig

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 01, 2017, 12:37:47 pm
Exactly! Whether it's this class or next, you're stilling giving them a scholarship and diminishing numbers on guys that likely aren't worth it. I just don't see it with him or Clary. Preferred walk-on and they earn it? Sure, bring it on! We're not good enough to bring in these JUCO guys that aren't going to play immediately. Meanwhile, Bama just told a Top 100 guy to buzz off, then got him rover greyshirt...

Obviously the staff thought they were worth it, and that's what counts.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 01, 2017, 12:37:47 pm
Exactly! Whether it's this class or next, you're stilling giving them a scholarship and diminishing numbers on guys that likely aren't worth it. I just don't see it with him or Clary. Preferred walk-on and they earn it? Sure, bring it on! We're not good enough to bring in these JUCO guys that aren't going to play immediately. Meanwhile, Bama just told a Top 100 guy to buzz off, then got him rover greyshirt...
You can only have "X" # of preferred Walk-ons, I don't remember the #, These guys all had D1 offers, and with our numbers we, will not need more than probably 20-21 spots next year. If they are not valuable 18 months from now find them another school to finish up their playing career at. IMO we will get 3 or 4 extra 3* recruits with little to no risk. In fact I am not sure they ever have to be put on scholarship, if they can't contribute.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 01, 2017, 03:46:47 pm
You can only have "X" # of preferred Walk-ons, I don't remember the #, These guys all had D1 offers, and with our numbers we, will not need more than probably 20-21 spots next year. If they are not valuable 18 months from now find them another school to finish up their playing career at. IMO we will get 3 or 4 extra 3* recruits with little to no risk. In fact I am not sure they ever have to be put on scholarship, if they can't contribute.

If there's no obligation to give them a scholarship, then that's a completely different scenario.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 01, 2017, 03:52:57 pm
If there's no obligation to give them a scholarship, then that's a completely different scenario.

The "obligation" is you've burned bridges and good will with the high schools/JUCO. Ole Nick could do it everyday, and twice on NSD, but most others would find the hallways shut to them.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2017, 03:56:00 pm
The "obligation" is you've burned bridges and good will with the high schools/JUCO. Ole Nick could do it everyday, and twice on NSD, but most others would find the hallways shut to them.

Sure, but that's an entirely different scenario nonetheless.  I'm mixed on blue shirt idea.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2017, 03:56:00 pm
True, but the way CBB handles things with players and coaches, he would I think get it done without blowback in many cases.

JackJohnson

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2017, 12:49:27 pm
Obviously the staff thought they were worth it, and that's what counts.

Agreed.  Also it is smart Bc that is 3 less players you have to spend time and effort recruiting and can instead focus your time elsewhere

ricepig

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 01, 2017, 06:04:22 pm
Agreed.  Also it is smart Bc that is 3 less players you have to spend time and effort recruiting and can instead focus your time elsewhere

Nah, you just run some more off and blue shirt 3 for 2019.......

PorkSoda

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2017, 01:10:19 pm
Nope, he's immediately eligible, but counts in the 2018 class. That's how Tennessee got 34 in Butch's second class, or third class, or every class.
how the frick does that work?  maybe we can count some players to our 2030 class.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ricepig

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 01, 2017, 08:02:47 pm
Fair point, and I agree. They know a helluva lot more than I do! I'm just stating my opinion on what I see fit. It'd be great if these guys all prove me wrong and become All-SEC, I hope that happens! Honestly, I'd even be fine with just a great special teams contributor. Richardson had a good film, but for me, it keeps going back to taking in a JUCO and redshirting him, then taking away numbers for the next year. There might be a flurry and be in on some good guys, but no room because you took a few risks that don't even get the chance to play immediately. CBB did say that it's going to be another small in-state crop again, and I trust they've looked at the numbers for upcoming years and who they seem leaving the program, etc. We'll see though. I really do hope it works out for Coach B and he's here awhile, continuing to do things the right way and win!

I don't think Richardson will redshirt, I do think Johnson will. Richardson is SEC ready in size for OLB, Johnson needs to add weight.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 01, 2017, 08:05:13 pm
how the frick does that work?  maybe we can count some players to our 2030 class.

Because they weren't recruited, as in home visit or official visit, they are considered "not recruited" and can come in as walkons, and then be put on scholarship, become immediately eligible, and count as a 2018 commit.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 01, 2017, 08:02:47 pm
Fair point, and I agree. They know a helluva lot more than I do! I'm just stating my opinion on what I see fit. It'd be great if these guys all prove me wrong and become All-SEC, I hope that happens! Honestly, I'd even be fine with just a great special teams contributor. Richardson had a good film, but for me, it keeps going back to taking in a JUCO and redshirting him, then taking away numbers for the next year. There might be a flurry and be in on some good guys, but no room because you took a few risks that don't even get the chance to play immediately. CBB did say that it's going to be another small in-state crop again, and I trust they've looked at the numbers for upcoming years and who they seem leaving the program, etc. We'll see though. I really do hope it works out for Coach B and he's here awhile, continuing to do things the right way and win!

Richardson is 3 for 3 no redshirt. The coaches have already mentioned RS Johnson

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 01, 2017, 08:10:54 pm
Richardson is 3 for 3 no redshirt. The coaches have already mentioned RS Johnson

Which reminds me, I believe Martin is also 3 for 3.  Any other JUCO's 3 for 3?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 01, 2017, 08:12:59 pm
If he's a blue shirt, he has to red shirt because he wouldn't be eligible this upcoming year. The advantage is that he gets to participate in team activities and the scholarship is used towards the next class.

Your understanding of a blueshirt is not correct. A blueshirt is eligbile to play in the fall

ricepig

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 01, 2017, 08:11:55 pm
Which reminds me, I believe Martin is also 3 for 3.  Any other JUCO's 3 for 3?

Those are the only 2 for this class

tophawg19

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 01, 2017, 12:28:32 pm
Would you consider using it on 3 guys with a total of 1 P5 offer between them "taking advantage"?
try looking at film of the players instead of offer lists . these kids can all play at a high level.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 01, 2017, 09:36:16 pm
try looking at film of the players instead of offer lists . these kids can all play at a high level.

I'll trust the many many coaches who I'm sure looked at the film and yet weren't interested. No doubt they are better evaluators than I.

tophawg19

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 01, 2017, 09:42:05 pm
I'll trust the many many coaches who I'm sure looked at the film and yet weren't interested. No doubt they are better evaluators than I.
yep they never miss on kids like JJ Watt , Burlsworth , Jerry Rice , Walter PAyton , Steve Largent . some great players are missed every year . how many 2 and 3 star kids are on NFL rosters this year because someone took a chance on them . Ever heard of Willie Roaf, Kenneth Dixon ?, Every year tons of kids fall through the cracks , sometimes you get lucky enough to get them

PorkSoda

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2017, 08:10:37 pm
Because they weren't recruited, as in home visit or official visit, they are considered "not recruited" and can come in as walkons, and then be put on scholarship, become immediately eligible, and count as a 2018 commit.
if they are eligible to play and on scholarship in 2017 how can they count towards 2018 scholarships and eligibility?  That makes no sense.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

moehog

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 26, 2017, 01:16:11 pm
Please explain how a player signs in this next signing period, is immediately eligible, but won't count until next years recruiting class signs.  I thought I had a good understanding of things until this. 

This article explains the different colors
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/recruiting/2016/01/31/college-football-recruiting-redshirt-greenshirt-grayshirt-blueshirt/79603750/?scrlybrkr=2776ed19#
"There is no hope for the satisfied man."