Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Razorbacks vs SW Baptist Game Thread

Started by Razorbacks#1, November 02, 2012, 06:46:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorbacks#1

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Danny J

Qualls is certainly very athletic. Bell is bigger than I thought. He is NOT skinny. He has some big arms and thick legs as well.

The_Iceman

Bell might just earn himself some PT this season. He is automatic shooting. Great form.

Razorbacks#1

Hate to sound like a homer, but these freshmen have made some good moves and plays. Understanding that its an exh game against lower level talent, I think we are on the right track.
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Razorod

Pretty good first half. Very nice slam by Qualls to end it.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

JonClaudeVanHam

Freshmen need to learn how to play a zone. Lots of open threes for SWB.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

Dominicanhog

Qualls has the same mannerisms of Linzie Howell as well and athletic ability.

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

razorbackfan4life

Anthlon Bell has impressed me.. He's a pure shooter. 

Soon as he catches the ball he's ready to fire, and he isn't shy.

Danny J

Quote from: razorbackfan4life on November 02, 2012, 08:40:44 pm

I agree. He is very surprising to me. He is very fluid, can handle the ball and rebound. He is not skinny. He is a very well built freshman. He will see A LOT of time. I am really impressed with the new comers. Williams looks a little raw and lost at times. Hunter still playing too soft on O. We will get better though. Fun team to watch.

NWFLHawg

Quote from: razorbackfan4life on November 02, 2012, 08:40:44 pm

Bell and Qualls should provide quality minutes off the bench this year.

dhornjr1

Anthlon Bell can fill it up from long range. Nick King's dad told me that we would be very pleased with Bell.

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

RazorSax

The only real complaint I have after watching the game is the defense...mainly the zone. We have given up too many open shots, mainly threes, and there have been a few times when they've tossed the ball down low and we had no big man to contend. However, being the first game, that's to be expected. I'll definitely say we're shooting well, inside, outside, and from the line. We can definitely put points up in a hurry, and, even though we'll face better defenses, we'll surely improve as the year goes on.

I'm so happy basketball season is here!  :razorback:

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

razorbackfan4life

I was hoping Hunter had worked on his horizontal foot speed in the off season, but he still looks pretty slow out there. 

He needs to be a force to be reckoned with on the defensive side of the ball. 

Hawgphish

Quote from: razorbackfan4life on November 02, 2012, 09:03:00 pm
I was hoping Hunter had worked on his horizontal foot speed in the off season, but he still looks pretty slow out there. 

He needs to be a force to be reckoned with on the defensive side of the ball. 
Horizontal foot speed? 

beebefootballfan

Bell - 17 pts
Powell - 16 pts
Toothpick - 11 pts
Scott - 11 pts
Qualls - 10 pts

Field Goals
SBU 30-67 44.8%
Hogs 38-72 52.8%

3 Point FGs
SBU 10-31 32.3%
Hogs 6-14 42.9%

Free Throws
SBU 8-9 88.9%
Hogs 24-26 92.3%

Rebounds
SBU - 31
Hogs - 40

Steals
SBU - 7
Hogs - 15

Turnovers
SBU - 26
Hogs - 17
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

Hawgphish

Razorod

Not a bad first game. Plenty to work on, but some good things also. We appear to be a bit deeper than last year, but frontline is going to be small. It will be interesting to watch the different lineups Mike uses to compensate for our lack of height at the four and five spots.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

jry04

Powell and Young were rarely on the floor together. I cannot wait to see what they can do when they are playing with each other. Hopefully Wade is able to shoot like he did last year. If he can, and Bell plays like it looks like he will play, we will have two of the better shooters in the league. Madden looked solid around the rim. Qualls is ridiculously athletic.

TexomaRazorback

It bothers me that we let them score 50 in the second half.

beebefootballfan

Quote from: TexomaRazorback on November 02, 2012, 09:44:47 pm

I would like to see the minutes played in the second half.  Young guys got a ton of minutes and experience tonight.  Them scoring 50 on us doesn't really concern me right now.  Now if it happens during one of the first regular season games then i will worry.
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

jry04

It is an exhibition. We rotated guys in every few minutes. The last 6 or 7 minutes of the game we were playing two walk ons, 2 freshmen, and Mickelson. We rarely played Young, Powell, and Wade at the same time. Wade and Young were on the bench when they were hitting all of those threes. We had Bell and Kikko out there. If we play this team like they are a legit opponent instead of experimenting with the lineup, then we would have won by 50+

Danny J

Quote from: Hawgphish on November 02, 2012, 09:16:08 pm
He looks slow in all directions.
The two main issues I had with him last year are still very apparent. He is out of position a lot on D because his rotation is too slow. He goes up too soft on offense. He plays like he is made out of glass on offense. He needs to get tougher and draw some charges. He is not skinny. He is every bit of 240lb's and shouldn't have any issues backing down smaller players. He has the tools but just needs to hone them a bit more. Working against a very large player in practice would help him a lot.

Danny J

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on November 02, 2012, 09:41:56 pm
Powell and Young were rarely on the floor together. I cannot wait to see what they can do when they are playing with each other. Hopefully Wade is able to shoot like he did last year. If he can, and Bell plays like it looks like he will play, we will have two of the better shooters in the league. Madden looked solid around the rim. Qualls is ridiculously athletic.
I thought BJ, Qualls and Bell played really really well together.

The_Iceman

If Mike would have ran this like a serious game, we would have won by 50. He let the youngsters get a lot of PT.

The_Iceman

Mickelson's free throw stroke looks much better this year. Much more compact and controlled.

FayettevilleHog

Hope the crowd grows for the games. If Pat Walker, a 106 year old woman, can make it to all these games, how can other season ticket holders have an excuse.

FearTheTusk91

I just watched our game vs. SWB and the night before I watched Kentucky's first exhibition against Northwood...I know things will change and teams will mesh later on in the year, but this Arkansas team tonight could have beaten the UK team that showed up on Thursday night.  Both teams had some errors, but UK this year will not be anywhere close to infallible.  And we will be much, much better than last year.

Root Down

mhuff

Exactly......There was a period late in the game where two players started playing bullfighter defense....Ole...... At that point MA called TO and had a little talk with his guys and said,  "Gentlemen, unless you want to run until you puke, there will be no more of this." It got a little better after that. Too many players for SWB open for threes.

FT shooting was phenominal. I saw a good trap in the corner, but our players weren't closing fast enough on the press.