Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cole Kelly on FSSw tonight at 6:30

Started by ricepig, September 24, 2015, 01:21:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

QB commit Cole Kelly and Teurlings Catholic take on Breaux Ridge tonight at 6:30 on Fox Southwest.

HogWall Jackson

I think that would be Breaux Bridge down there. There are no Ridges in the Louisiana Swamp.

Thanks for the Time Spot.

ballinhog

ricepig

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on September 24, 2015, 01:51:42 pm
I think that would be Breaux Bridge down there. There are no Ridges in the Louisiana Swamp.

Thanks for the Time Spot.

Yeah, they call those levees.....

ricepig

ballinhog

He's been pretty accurate but he just made a horrible decision/throw on a screen for a pick 6. Up until that point he was money

COCHISE

ballinhog

WildRazorback

September 24, 2015, 09:50:12 pm #8 Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:01:45 am by WildRazorback
I watched most of the 2nd quarter and then some of the third to get an idea of his ability. I saw a very shaky, but talented, QB with Mallett-idus. He loves to throw darts at sharp angles on the short to medium throws and tends to be inaccurate. His escapability was very underwhelming; in that, he just kinda held the ball out and tied to dance around (like a much less athletic Matt Jones). When he was under pressure he threw into coverage more than once. I'm not bashing the kid, I'm just critiquing what I saw. I think we are in a much better place with Storey and Town. The staff seems content with Kelley, however; maybe I just caught him on an off night.

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: WildRazorback on September 24, 2015, 09:50:12 pm
I watched most of the 2nd quarter and then some of the third to get an idea of his ability. I saw a very shaky, but talented, QB with Mallett-idus. He loves to throw darts at sharp angles on the short to medium throws and tends to be inaccurate. His escapability was very underwhelming; in that, he just kinda held the ball out and tied to dance around (like a much less athletic Matt Jones). When he was under pressure he threw into coverage more than once. I'm not bashing the kid, I'm just critiquing what I saw. I think we are in a much better place with Storey and Town. The staff seems content with Kelley, however; maybe I just caught him on an off night.

I watched 85% of the game. Kelly is much as you have described. He will be a project. I agree with your assessment.

Dominicanhog

So from the posters above I gathered he is inaccurate, no escapability, and throws into coverage when ever he is under pressure....

does anybod have his stats for this game.. sounds as though he completed very few passes,  was sacked often becasue he was dancing around, and had several interceptions...

ricepig

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on September 25, 2015, 05:20:58 am
I watched 85% of the game. Kelly is much as you have described. He will be a project. I agree with your assessment.

I only watched bits and pieces of the game, but he does appear to have a good arm. His decision making could be better, but so could his offensive line play, haha. They also ran numerous plays where he was faking handoffs to RB's with his back to the line of scrimmage and turning around to find a DE in his lap. Like 95% of high school QB's, he'll need a red shirt season, I don't think anyone thought otherwise.

BornaHog

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2015, 07:13:27 am
I only watched bits and pieces of the game, but he does appear to have a good arm. His decision making could be better, but so could his offensive line play, haha. They also ran numerous plays where he was faking handoffs to RB's with his back to the line of scrimmage and turning around to find a DE in his lap. Like 95% of high school QB's, he'll need a red shirt season, I don't think anyone thought otherwise.

With a redshirt year and an offensive line that could protect, like in giving up 0 sacks through 3 games, he might be able to pick apart a defense. You also never know how any kid will progress in any system.   WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GHG
Born a HOG and will die a HOG, but that's not the only way to become a HOG

MS_HogFan

The best scouts in the world miss on QBs more than they hit. Who knows how he will turn out.

Hopefully we will have a much improved team by the time he gets to play.
SOOIE

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on September 25, 2015, 05:20:58 am

Kids got size.  A.J. Derby type perhaps. TE maybe? Don't think he will beat out Town or Storey.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

COCHISE

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on September 25, 2015, 11:15:29 am
Kids got size.  A.J. Derby type perhaps. TE maybe? Don't think he will beat out Town or Storey.
He's got size but no where near the athletic ability that Derby has. I watched the game. The kid has the physical size and tools but he is extremely raw. I thought the game before last night may have just been a fluke when he went something like 13-38. After watching last night, I don't believe it was just a fluke.

Oklahawg

Recruitniks have been waiting for this kid to secure se additional offers as schools try to use Town + Story against UA. The arm is legit and thy feel he is advanced between the ears. Not too many years ago there was a DE from LR who some around here thought was getting a scholarship from Niutt simply because his last name was "Bequette." He turned out fine. Not s great comparison I realize. I am not backing away from Kelley but do junk he is a redshirt year waiting to happen.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

nwahogfan1

I wish we would recruit more athletic QBs who can get some yards with their feet.  It sure slows down the pass rush when the DLM know they can get blistered with a running QB.  DLM have to keep their running lanes.

Hoggish1

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on September 25, 2015, 11:15:29 am
Kids got size.  A.J. Derby type perhaps. TE maybe?

Wait, did I miss hearing the Hooter was back in charge?

bennyl08

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on September 26, 2015, 04:36:10 am
I wish we would recruit more athletic QBs who can get some yards with their feet.  It sure slows down the pass rush when the DLM know they can get blistered with a running QB.  DLM have to keep their running lanes.

A guy who can run AND play qb is certainly more dangerous than just a qb. However, those that can do both well are few and far between. A lot of running qb's give up on the play too quickly and look to run or they will not read defenses very well/trust their arm strength too much and throw picks or miss open receivers. All else being equal, the guy who can also run is superior, but it is rare to meet that all else being equal part. Especially when you run an offense where not making mistakes and turning the ball over is a priority.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse