Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We need an elite RB in this class

Started by Wildhog, September 22, 2015, 03:22:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: scruf on September 30, 2015, 12:05:14 pm
Hogville Chicken Little Logic:

"If Arkansas doesn't get a highly recruited running back to give them a non-binding verbal commitment in October then all running back prospects deemed to have All-American potential will automatically disappear by signing day. There's definitely no way that any will emerge during their senior year."

There's nothing "chicken little" about pointing out actual recruiting deficiencies.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

scruf

Quote from: Wildhog on September 30, 2015, 12:11:17 pm
There's nothing "chicken little" about pointing out actual recruiting deficiencies.
The thing is, there are no 2016 signing class deficiencies until after signing day. There can't be any until then.

Wildhog

Quote from: scruf on September 30, 2015, 12:15:34 pm
The thing is, there are no 2016 signing class deficiencies until after signing day. There can't be any until then.

We haven't signed an elite back since Alex in 2013, and our "put every egg we have into the White/Whaley basket" strategy doesn't seem to be working.

That's not to say that we can't sign one in this class, but to act like it's not a reasonable concern is silly.
1909/1964/1965/1977

scruf

Quote from: Wildhog on September 30, 2015, 12:17:27 pm
We haven't signed an elite back since Alex in 2013, and our "put every egg we have into the White/Whaley basket" strategy doesn't seem to be working.

That's not to say that we can't sign one in this class, but to act like it's not a reasonable concern is silly.
Rawleigh Williams is an elite back he just doesn't have the touches yet but it's coming. It's not fair to say that the Arkansas coaches are throwing every egg they can into the White/Whaley basket since they can't commit on prospective recruits. None of us really know what their plan is. A lot of things are reasonable concerns until signing day but when fans presume failure to launch before it's even launch day then that's just silly.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on September 30, 2015, 12:17:27 pm

Reasonable, HV??

scruf

Wildhog

Quote from: scruf on September 30, 2015, 12:27:24 pm
Rawleigh Williams is an elite back he just doesn't have the touches yet but it's coming. It's not fair to say that the Arkansas coaches are throwing every egg they can into the White/Whaley basket since they can't commit on prospective recruits. None of us really know what their plan is. A lot of things are reasonable concerns until signing day but when fans presume failure to launch before it's even launch day then that's just silly.

Then why do you even click on the recruiting forum?  Just get on here on NSD if it doesn't matter before then.  There are others that actually like to discuss recruiting.

And RW3 is going to be a good back for us.  But he's got a long way to go.
1909/1964/1965/1977

scruf

Quote from: Wildhog on September 30, 2015, 12:31:10 pm
Then why do you even click on the recruiting forum?  Just get on here on NSD if it doesn't matter before then.

And RW3 is going to be a good back for us.  But he's got a long way to go.
Why am I in the recruiting forum? Not sure, maybe it's for the unadulterated, unmoderated panic. It's entertaining.

As for RW3, he averaged 5.8 ypc against A&M on 8 carries with one score. That's the same YPC as Colins had running behind the same line. He's arrived. I look for the gap in carries to close a bit over the next few games.

Wildhog

Quote from: scruf on September 30, 2015, 12:37:38 pm
Why am I in the recruiting forum? Not sure, maybe it's for the unadulterated, unmoderated panic. It's entertaining.

As for RW3, he averaged 5.8 ypc against A&M on 8 carries with one score. That's the same YPC as Colins had running behind the same line. He's arrived. I look for the gap in carries to close a bit over the next few games.

Haha, well, I have no doubt he and whoever else we sign this year will receive elite-level hype.

And I'm a big fan of Rawleigh.  He's going to be a good one.

Doesn't change our need for an elite back in this class, though.  God forbid we have another injury.
1909/1964/1965/1977

scruf

Quote from: Wildhog on September 30, 2015, 12:38:37 pm
Haha, well, I have no doubt he and whoever else we sign this year will receive elite-level hype.

And I'm a big fan of Rawleigh.  He's going to be a good one.
Agree about Rawleigh and I agree with you that we need an elite back in this class.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 30, 2015, 12:01:09 pm
Our RB recruiting is going about as good as Mike Anderson's PF recruiting.

Guessing you  want Bielema to fire a couple of assistants and bring in some real recruiters.  :-\
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

luke hawg

TJ Hammonds looks good toting the rock. I brought this up earlier and everyone assumed he was a receiver at 5-11 201. He will be 210-215 after herb gets him.

PorkSoda

Quote from: luke hawg on September 30, 2015, 10:47:00 pm
TJ Hammonds looks good toting the rock. I brought this up earlier and everyone assumed he was a receiver at 5-11 201. He will be 210-215 after herb gets him.
good to know we got at least one in the bag.  white would be a home run, but I'll take a base hit over a strike out.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Darren DeLoach

Define "elite". Is it based on rankings, offers, film, or all of the above? Most here believe unless the recruit is a "splash" name then the athlete is not "elite". This staff will get "their" guy. It may not be White, who looks amazing, and they will likely see him as elite no matter their ranking.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Wildhog

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on October 01, 2015, 03:51:56 pm
Define "elite". Is it based on rankings, offers, film, or all of the above? Most here believe unless the recruit is a "splash" name then the athlete is not "elite". This staff will get "their" guy. It may not be White, who looks amazing, and they will likely see him as elite no matter their ranking.

Usually at RB, it's the guy with the elite offer list. A "sure thing" kind of recruit.  Someone that we absolutely know can make a meaningful contribution right away. Yeah, we can "make 3-stars look like 5-stars" with our OL in this offense, but the 5-stars look like Fournette, Chubb, Henry, etc... Imagine what they would look like in this offense. 

Alex Collins is an elite RB who had offers to the big 3 Florida schools. It was a huge recruiting coup for us. We haven't landed one like him since 2013.

Read this from Rotoworld:

Arkansas junior RB Alex Collins "might be the most pro-ready runner in the SEC at this time," according to NFL.com's Bucky Brooks.
"He has exceptional balance and body control, as evidenced by his ability to string moves together in traffic against Texas A&M in a 26-carry, 151-yard effort that will have scouts raving about his potential as a feature back," Brooks wrote. "With Collins also displaying physicality and toughness running between the tackles in the Razorbacks' power-based offense, it is easy to get excited about his prospects at the next level." The 5-foot-11, 206-pound junior has rushed for 502 yards and four touchdowns, scoring in every game. Arkansas gets Tennessee on the road this weekend.

It's time to get another one.  There's no reason we shouldn't be able to.  Rawleigh needs someone to split carries with him next year.  We can almost 100% guarantee 200 carries next year.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on October 01, 2015, 03:51:56 pm
RW3 looks to be elite to me, so I will take a clone of him! I would really like White, but I would like someone with Marshall's speed just as well. Personally I don't care much about rankings, just find me someone who has the speed and vision to house it anytime. Love me some AC, but i wish he was faster!

NLRHog92

Potosihog

From Monday Tidbits "Arkansas athlete commitment T.J. Hammonds had 13 carries for 301 yards and 4 touchdowns." Wow!

hview

onebadrubi

We need white!  Anything else isn't necessarily a miss, but getting white is what we need! 

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on September 28, 2015, 12:32:25 am
Are u serious?  If Collins gets hurt we have nobody to carry the ball 15 times a game. We have no depth at the position. Depth as in someone that can play.
Rawleigh Williams III will be a feature back next year.  He could easily take 20 carries a game right now if needed.  If you can't see that by the way he runs, you are...not watching?

Wildhog

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on October 02, 2015, 08:21:41 am
Rawleigh Williams III will be a feature back next year.  He could easily take 20 carries a game right now if needed.  If you can't see that by the way he runs, you are...not watching?

Even with that, there's still another 200 carries that someone has to take.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Let's be honest.  You have no idea how many carries a game he could take.  We've seen him do well with a few carries.  The more tired he becomes, the more likely his inexperience would start to show.  So let's not just make things up to fit your opinions.  We need an elite back.  RWIII is and will be good for us.  But we need more RB's and an elite one is a must.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 02, 2015, 08:40:10 am
Let's be honest.  You have no idea how many carries a game he could take.  We've seen him do well with a few carries.  The more tired he becomes, the more likely his inexperience would start to show.  So let's not just make things up to fit your opinions.  We need an elite back.  RWIII is and will be good for us.  But we need more RB's and an elite one is a must.

Yeah, I think we might be throwing around the word "elite" a little too freely.
1909/1964/1965/1977

scruf

Quote from: hview on October 01, 2015, 09:52:09 pm
How fast is Hammond's?
Laser-timed 4.63 in the 40 yard dash (Nike SPARQ) which is exactly the same way they test at the NFL Combine. By comparison, RB T.J. Yeldon (Alabama; Jacksonville Jaguars) and Matt Jones (Florida; Washington Redskins) both ran 4.61 at the 2015 NFL Combine.

scruf

Quote from: Wildhog on October 02, 2015, 08:42:53 am
Yeah, I think we might be throwing around the word "elite" a little too freely.
Arkansas Running Back "Eliteness" Scale:

J-Will
AC
RW3
Kody
Denzell

(from elite to not elite)

JaketheSnake

If our OL recruiting is elite, our RB recruiting doesnt have to be so elite.  We are putting together another pretty good looking OL class.  Would like to see us sign 3 OTs this class, but I bet we only sign 2. 

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on September 28, 2015, 12:32:25 am
Are u serious?  If Collins gets hurt we have nobody to carry the ball 15 times a game. We have no depth at the position. Depth as in someone that can play.
RWIII?? He looks pretty good carrying that ball.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

jackflash

I want a great RB like most of you.  But feel LB and DB are a bigger need with speed. If we can land 2 Lb and 2 CB  with speed I would be just as happy with that

JaketheSnake

Quote from: jackflash on October 02, 2015, 10:11:18 am
I want a great RB like most of you.  But feel LB and DB are a bigger need with speed. If we can land 2 Lb and 2 CB  with speed I would be just as happy with that
This!  I am more worried about LB right now.  We return some depth on D next season, but then we will lose a lot.  We need to keep finding Defensive playmakers and building depth on O. 

Wildhog

Quote from: jackflash on October 02, 2015, 10:11:18 am

LB is a huge need, obviously.  I'm not quite as concerned about CB.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 02, 2015, 10:06:16 am
If our OL recruiting is elite, our RB recruiting doesnt have to be so elite.

I absolutely loathe this line of thinking.  We need great players at EVERY position, and there's no reason whatsoever that we shouldn't be able to recruit the position that our offense is centered around. Yeah, any ol' RB could PRODUCE behind this OL, but we need some actual game changers, like our SEC rivals have. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

WorfHog

Quote from: Wildhog on October 02, 2015, 10:55:47 am
I absolutely loathe this line of thinking.  We need great players at EVERY position, and there's no reason whatsoever that we shouldn't be able to recruit the position that our offense is centered around. Yeah, any ol' RB could PRODUCE behind this OL, but we need some actual game changers, like our SEC rivals have.

Totally agree, we desperately need a playmaker that touches the football somewhere. A high 4/5 star RB, LB or WR would be huge for us. 

Fort Dweller

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 02, 2015, 10:06:16 am
If our OL recruiting is elite, our RB recruiting doesnt have to be so elite.  We are putting together another pretty good looking OL class.  Would like to see us sign 3 OTs this class, but I bet we only sign 2. 

An elite RB makes a negative play a 2 yard gain.
Elite online allows a 3 yard back to get 7.
An elite back behind an elite line gets you home run threat
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Fort Dweller on October 02, 2015, 11:29:51 am
An elite RB makes a negative play a 2 yard gain.
Elite online allows a 3 yard back to get 7.
An elite back behind an elite line gets you home run threat
I agree with that completely.  Id much rather have Elite everywhere... but NOONE gets elite everywhere. 

Oklahawg

Porter and Pennamon are not Whaley and White and would still be an amazing "get". Either is possible, and both is not off-the-charts funny. I want to say I read we were quietly going about the recruitment of another originally thought headed to a Big 12 program. That is five strong options; we need 2. Who blows up this season that gives us an extra option?

I think we need to relax and see how things play out.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Wildhog

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 02, 2015, 05:31:19 pm
Porter and Pennamon are not Whaley and White and would still be an amazing "get". Either is possible, and both is not off-the-charts funny. I want to say I read we were quietly going about the recruitment of another originally thought headed to a Big 12 program. That is five strong options; we need 2. Who blows up this season that gives us an extra option?

I think we need to relax and see how things play out.

Porter and Pennamon would be a fantastic haul.
1909/1964/1965/1977

jackflash

I am not a Danny West or no much about who we recruiting. But this staff will not get caught short in recruiting at any positon. We may not know who all the after until closer to NSD

hawgfan4life

If Chubb is the standard for elite, maybe 2 or 3 teams in all of FB will sign an elite player.  That standard is silly.  There are 20 RBs coming out of high school every year that are very talented and will be incredible D1 running backs.  There is another 100 or so that will go to D1 schools and be nice players.  Calm down.  It is early October.  We will get 1 or 2 if the coaches want 1 or 2,  but the chances of any being elite are not too good if they have to be Chubb caliber.  That is comical. Yes!  We MUST recruit a better RB than GA, AL, the OSU, Fl St, LSU, OU, ND, USC west,  not to mention Oregon, Baylor, TCU, Florida, ole Miss, and a dozen other schools that might have an inside track over out of state AR.  Sadly, not that many Chubb caliber backs in the NFL much less coming out of HS

The real Hogules

The thing that has stuck out to me with RWIII is that while he will cut on a dime like Alex, he gets headed north and south in a hurry.
I've also taken note that in the last couple of games Alex started out dancing around, looking for a hole, then once they would bring RWIII in and he'd make a couple of nice carries, plowing straight ahead, then Alex Collins would settle down and begin attacking the line and running north and south as well.
RWIII is the truth!
White would be an awesome fit and a wonderful get, but we'll be just fine with or without Devin White.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Bacon_Bitz

The_Iceman

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on October 05, 2015, 08:04:32 am
TJ Hammonds is elite.  /thread

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1905248/highlights/285936397/v2

He is looking solid so far his Senior year. He runs a little high (straight-up) for a Bielema back, but I'm sure we can get the pad levels adjusted. Love his ability to accelerate. I did see some runs in his tape where he hit the hole low and so I know there is potential there. We need a home run threat at RB.

jackflash

if your wanting a RB with speed Tevor speights maybe the one we want

Been10Hog

Just watched TJ Hammonds video. We're good! Now get some LBs

Wildhog

I'm happy to have Hammonds and think he'll be a good player for us, but he doesn't even come close to satisfying our current needs at RB.  We need at least one more, and it needs to be a very good one. 

I almost feel bad for him.  The more we whiff on RB's, the higher the expectations will be that many place on TJ.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on October 05, 2015, 10:30:05 am
The thread continued.

Yeah, he's not an every down back in the SEC, or at least not yet. I'll get killed for this, but 4A football in Arkansas doesn't have you at that level, in most cases.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on October 05, 2015, 11:10:32 am
Yeah, he's not an every down back in the SEC, or at least not yet. I'll get killed for this, but 4A football in Arkansas doesn't have you at that level, in most cases.

Yeah, prepare thy anus. 

It's not a knock on the kid at all, and he may very well develop into an all-SEC RB. But we're looking for someone that is ready to come in and take 200 carries in the SEC right away. 

There's not a single player on our commit list that couldn't run for 300 yds against Bauxite.  I mean, we've got a DE commit returning kicks multiple kicks for TD's, lol.

1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Iceman

Quote from: ricepig on October 05, 2015, 11:10:32 am

http://247sports.com/Player/Devin-White-33099
Ready to be an everydown back in SEC.

http://247sports.com/Player/TJ-Hammonds-79498
May need time to develop.

WooPig90

We may be trying for 2 more backs, depends on what position we view Hammonds at