Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just finished with USMC OCS

Started by Ben Steiger, July 12, 2010, 01:42:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Steiger

A week ago last Saturday, I graduated Officers Candidates School for the Marine Corps in Quantico, VA. Twelve weeks of hell and heat totally became worth it. I look forward to commissioning in May! Semper Fi
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Congratulations!  Are you prior service, or will this be your first time on active duty?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Old Tusk

The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Brand X Hog Fan

I salute you, sir. Excellent work!
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Ben Steiger

Quote from: wocraig on July 12, 2010, 01:54:29 pm
Congratulations!  Are you prior service, or will this be your first time on active duty?

No, I'm not a prior... this is my first military experience. Looking forward to it!

oldhawg

Congratulations.  In a different time and world I went the same route with Army OCS at Ft. Benning.  At the time it was a six month ordeal, but well worth the time and effort.  Good luck on your assignments and stay healthy.

countryhog

congratulations sir.  one bit of advice, if you will, from an old enlisted marine.  don't take yourself seriously and become what we used to refer to as "an officer and gentleman by act of congress".  Leaders lead from the front by example. Always look out for your troops. Semper Fi. Hoorah!
now is never here but the past is always present

Ben Steiger

Thanks, countryhog, however, I am not a sir yet. Thanks for the advice, and I will follow that example. Can't ask your men and women to do anything you won't do first yourself.

Ftsmithmike

Quote from: Ben Steiger on July 18, 2010, 12:55:42 am
Thanks, countryhog, however, I am not a sir yet. Thanks for the advice, and I will follow that example. Can't ask your men and women to do anything you won't do first yourself.

Enlisted call candidates sir as a sign of mutual respect. I know the marines dont recognize boots as marines and the same is likely true for you butter bars but I think its kin to the old saying about dressing for the job you want. If you expect a candidate to become a great leader you treat him like a great leader til he gives you reason to doubt him.

I hope this fight is over before you take your commision. If not good luck and take care of your Marines. Remember they have brothers who are Hog fans.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

hogginbama

Congratulations Sir. Lead from the front and trust in the abilities and knowledge of your NCOs. They will take care of you, if you let them.

My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

CurDog64

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on July 22, 2010, 07:12:34 pm
Enlisted call candidates sir as a sign of mutual respect. I know the marines dont recognize boots as marines and the same is likely true for you butter bars but I think its kin to the old saying about dressing for the job you want. If you expect a candidate to become a great leader you treat him like a great leader til he gives you reason to doubt him.

I hope this fight is over before you take your commision. If not good luck and take care of your Marines. Remember they have brothers who are Hog fans.

Excellent post, and spot on

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Dillar Dog

right on about your NCOs.  when you first get to your unit, they know more than you do.  listen to them and you can learn from them.  but, trust me, you're in charge and they know that.  you don't have to act like it or remind them.  you're a team, so don't make it an "us and them" thing like some officers do.  that's an easy way to lose the respect of them.  you're all fighting the same fight, no one is better than the other.  you just get a bigger check.

semper fi.