Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 23, 2024, 05:24:43 pm

Veteran's Day

Started by Porquemada, July 01, 2010, 08:59:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porquemada

Is there any way this "holiday" will ever become a holiday for veterans? It seems only postal workers, bank employees, and some military personnel ever get this day off with pay.

1CavHog

I know for active duty it's a 4 day weekend unless we are on a CRC rotation or deployed.

Brand X Hog Fan

Yep. All my years in the civilian work force (24) I have had exactly ONE CEO/Boss that recognized Vet's day. He gave us a certificate of thanks every year. I always appreciated it.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

SteveInArk

Quote from: Brand X Hog Fan on July 12, 2010, 06:46:44 pm
Yep. All my years in the civilian work force (24) I have had exactly ONE CEO/Boss that recognized Vet's day. He gave us a certificate of thanks every year. I always appreciated it.

My post-military, civilian work years ('92-'06) were the same.  But sure glad of the constant government support for the day, albeit with some changes over the years.   From Armistice Day, to Veterans Day, to a "Monday" holiday, to eventually reverting back to Nov 11th (after 46 states still observed, or had switched back, to 11/11).

My wishes for a safe and reflective Veterans Day.  To all those in military service to their country, past and present.   :razorback:
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

AR_dustoff

Among my friends there has been growing frustrations...especially by mothers who are vets.  They have to work, but daycares,etc are closed, so they end up paying a babysitter to watch the kids...

So the holiday that was made to honor us, ends up putting addtional strain on some of us...