Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Notre Dame DC Elko to aTm

Started by Hawg Life, January 04, 2018, 02:21:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Life

January 04, 2018, 02:21:18 pm Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 02:51:50 pm by 007 License To Squeal
Texas A&M: Billy Liucci tweets that Notre Dame defensive coordinator Mike Elko is heading to Texas A&M as defensive coordinator and to "expect an official announcement shortly."

DuckTalesLOL

Posted this about 10 minutes ago and I guess it was deleted. :)

sowmonella

Quote from: DuckTalesLOL on January 04, 2018, 02:21:46 pm

I'm really not sure why.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Wild Bill Hog

Probably went to SEC Sports.  The one before yours and then yours may both very well be there.

Tim Harris

I don't think they are being deleted but are being moved to SEC Sports.

PonderinHog

007 License To Squeal

It wasn't deleted.  It was moved to SEC sports
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

ChicoHog

He did a really good at ND last year after coming over from Wake Forest.  A&M has more money than Warren Buffett it seems.  Obviously Fisher did not want Chavis as he has looked at numerous other candidates before hiring Elko.

Pork Ranger

I wonder how this will affect ND's chances with Brian Williams?

sowmonella

Elko has done it against non SEC teams. Chavis built his rep in the SEC.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

PorkSoda

to be fair, it is relevant to razorback sports as it affects the buyout for our targeted DC.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

SemperHawg

One would think if it really is going to be Chief for us, this is the first domino that had to fall to break the standoff between he and A&M.

NuttinItUp

These topics should stay on MMQB. They are Hog relevant because we are trying to make the Chavis hire official.

HogNTX

Hopefully that means Chavis has been fired... and we can hire him without having to worry about a buyout.

HogNTX

Quote from: Pork Ranger on January 04, 2018, 02:29:03 pm

Hmmmmm... nice thought

MasterChiefHog

I don't log in to SEC Sports to get updates on our DC and this is definitely an update. Now we should get all our pieces in place soon. Go Hogs!
Quote from: oldman1015 on December 28, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Having a bad day or always a dick?
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 06, 2019, 09:39:55 am
Sorry fo any misspells or paragraph s. I m on a scaffold.
Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2018, 08:23:47 amSince we are being optimistic, let's go full tilt boogie! If we win out, Ole Miss wins out, and Bama loses out. Then all we need is Miss. State to win against LSU & Texas A&M, and then have the Aggies upset LSU. 
And then we are hanging an SEC WEST Champion banner.

rljjr

It won't have much effect IMO. I think he's destined for ND or Stanford.

Wildhog

I think it's funny that we're waiting on our next DC to get fired.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

SemperHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on January 04, 2018, 02:44:00 pm
It is funny when you put it that way.

PorkSoda

1.5 million is worth waiting a few days.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

little pigee

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 04, 2018, 02:27:08 pm
He did a really good at ND last year after coming over from Wake Forest.  A&M has more money than Warren Buffett it seems.  Obviously Fisher did not want Chavis as he has looked at numerous other candidates before hiring Elko.
Not quite, but more than any other school.

Oklahoma — $134.3 million. ...
LSU — $138.6 million. ...
Florida — $147.1 million. ...
Alabama — $148.9 million. ...
Michigan — $152.5 million. Rick Osentoski-USA Today Sports. ...
Ohio State — $167.2 million. Scott Halleran/Getty Images. ...
Texas — $183.5 million. Ronald Martinez/Getty Images. ...
Texas A&M — $192.6 million. Scott Halleran/Getty Images.
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Tim Harris

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 04, 2018, 02:47:33 pm
1.5 million is worth waiting a few days.

I really don't think that is the reason.  Obviously they have known for a while that he wasn't the guy.  If he was they would not have had as much public flirtation with other DCs and he would not have been looking for other jobs.  My guess is any sort of buyout was negotiated a while back.

Mike_e

Probably wants to start with a blank canvas.  No holdover from the old staff from the way they do things to the things that were allowed.

Makes sense to me anyway.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

island hog

Pretty smart move on our part, I'd say. 

FarmersFightATM

It looks like Chavis is heading y'alls way...here is an article about his contract extension he signed before the 2017 season.  We may not be on the hook for a buyout of his contract, and y'all certainly won't.  Even if we 'fire' him, he has an agreement that he will look for work at a fair market value...we just may owe the difference...

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/12/21/am-defensive-coordinator-john-chavis-agreed-contract-extension-before-start-2017-season-records-show

Wildhog

Quote from: island hog on January 04, 2018, 03:34:50 pm
Pretty smart move on our part, I'd say. 

Maybe.  It's just humorous to me.
1909/1964/1965/1977

247Hog

Hopefully doesn't increase A&M chances to get him.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

opineonswine

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 04, 2018, 02:27:08 pm

Funny thing is, Elko's defense gave up 37 points and almost 600 yards of offense to Wake Forest this year.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: opineonswine on January 04, 2018, 03:45:58 pm
Funny thing is, Elko's defense gave up 37 points and almost 600 yards of offense to Wake Forest this year.

We don't need to hire him then.

opineonswine

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 04, 2018, 03:48:42 pm
We don't need to hire him then.

AT Notre Dame by the way.  And while we're at it, just to get all the facts out there, Wake Forest beat Bobby Petrino and finished ahead of Louisville (by virtue of their win vs. Louisville) in the ACC.  Wake wasn't the patsy this year that they normally are...for those dogging Chavis and the bowl game.

King Kong

Well, it's a staff turnover. That would be like saying Sam Pittman was fired at UT.

When it's really about the HC

redhogchilipepper

Quote from: FarmersFightATM on January 04, 2018, 03:36:47 pm
It looks like Chavis is heading y'alls way...here is an article about his contract extension he signed before the 2017 season.  We may not be on the hook for a buyout of his contract, and y'all certainly won't.  Even if we 'fire' him, he has an agreement that he will look for work at a fair market value...we just may owe the difference...

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/12/21/am-defensive-coordinator-john-chavis-agreed-contract-extension-before-start-2017-season-records-show

This just in! Japs bomb Pearl Harbor

theFlyingHog

Mine from 15 minutes before yours is in SEC now

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: FarmersFightATM on January 04, 2018, 03:36:47 pm

In Arkansas fair market value is $7.25 per hour........................you guys are gonna owe a lot!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ChicoHog

Quote from: sowmonella on January 04, 2018, 02:29:31 pm
Elko has done it against non SEC teams. Chavis built his rep in the SEC.
Yes, but they play a tough schedule with no cupcakes or FCS schools so it evens out.  Elko also did well at WF which is not an easy place to recruit stud defenders. 

Rzback

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 04, 2018, 04:57:44 pm
In Arkansas fair market value is $7.25 per hour........................you guys are gonna owe a lot!
So we hire him for minimum wage and A&M has to make up the difference to 1.6 million??? I like it!
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Rzback on January 04, 2018, 05:28:13 pm
So we hire him for minimum wage and A&M has to make up the difference to 1.6 million??? I like it!

Works for me.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: redhogchilipepper on January 04, 2018, 04:16:15 pm
This just in! Japs bomb Pearl Harbor

OH NO not again! First the damn Germans and now the Japanese!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Rzback on January 04, 2018, 05:28:13 pm

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 04, 2018, 05:28:54 pm
Works for me.

Some times it's nice to not be a union shop state!

Wildhog

If we can get him on the cheap and have extra money for assistants, that'd be nice.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 04, 2018, 05:36:57 pm
OH NO not again! First the damn Germans and now the Japanese!

Next it'll be John Belushi and the Eyetalians.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 04, 2018, 05:43:09 pm
Next it'll be John Belushi and the Eyetalians.

Aren't those the guys that stick pencils up their nose?

imtad16

Wow. A&M is going to pay him 2 million a year. I know he was at Notre Dame so they had to pay him to get him to leave, but that seems a bit rich for Mike Elko.

According to USA Today that would make him now the second highest paid coordinator on offense or defense to Dave Aranda.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/12/06/highest-paid-assistant-football-coaches-worth-overpaid/918708001/

Notre Dame had the 46th ranked defense by yards and 32nd by points/game this season.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 04, 2018, 05:45:31 pm
Aren't those the guys that stick pencils up their nose?

Why yes, yes they are.  You've obviously studied Geography.