Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HD Television reception on a boat.

Started by PigPusher, November 10, 2008, 02:30:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PigPusher

Does anyone know how one can get television reception on a boat? Need to get football games and in particular Hog games (when televised) if at all possible. Problem is, with the boat moving the antennae has to be able to lock on. Does it have to be through satellite signal?
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

SteveInArk

If you want to use Sat TV on a boat, even when docked, that sounds like a tough challenge.  The dish alignment is so critical.  Heck, a strong wind can blow here and one dish I have, ground-mounted, can move just a little and I lose the signal.

Where are you going to be on the water?  If on lakes in this area (Beaver, Table Rock), you will likely be able to get most networks via OTA signals from local stations, even with a small[ish] antenna.  FYI, the HD antenna for KNWA, 51-1 (NBC) is near the Beaver Lake shore.  If you get away from the prime market city though, or very far at sea, that won't work.

If over-the-air (OTA) direct signals aren't an option, a poor back-up would be an "aircard" in a laptop from a 3G-capable mobile phone carrier in your area.  Around here, depending on exact location, this is at least ATT and Alltel, probably others.  But that isn't HD.  That's just low-resolution streaming over the internet.  For instance, my laptop has a TV output for feeding a larger screen, but that's not great.

Hopefully, others know of newer technologies to help you.  But #1 choice is picking up the local OTA Hi-Def signal on board.  With that, you will have studio-quality HD signals.

Good luck.  :razorback:
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

majestic

Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

SteveInArk

- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

PigPusher

November 10, 2008, 03:52:34 pm #4 Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:55:21 pm by PigPusher
Good heavens that is exactly what I was looking for! That is super! I have been researching for two days and not much. Along comes majestic and bingo he nails it. Some of you guys are just amazing and majestic you are counted as one. I am speechless and a little dumbfounded. Wait until the wife finds out about this. Thanks so much..  ;D

Please PM me with your address as we have a little something for you. Oh, don't say no now just the address please.   :)

Thanks to you also Steve...
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

majestic

November 11, 2008, 08:18:47 am #5 Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 09:07:17 am by majestic
If beer will fit in a PO Box... PO Box 8131 - Fayetteville, AR  72703.  But it's really no sweat.  Most satellite questions you'll have I can probably answer.  I was pretty big into sat. until a couple of years ago.

PigPusher

Quote from: majestic on November 11, 2008, 08:18:47 am
If beer will fit in a PO Box... PO Box 8131 - Fayetteville, AR  72703.  But it's really no sweat.  Most satellite questions you'll have I can probably answer.  I was pretty big into sat. until a couple of years ago.

Thanks Majestic.  Check your PM please.

majestic

FYI... these can be had brand-spankin'-new on Ebay for under $700.  Search for "King Dome". 

PigPusher

Quote from: majestic on November 11, 2008, 11:28:05 am
FYI... these can be had brand-spankin'-new on Ebay for under $700.  Search for "King Dome". 

There seems to be more than one type of these guys. What should we pull the trigger on?  Seems the automatic seeking one would be the one as that is what we wanted in the first place.

majestic

Make sure and get an in-motion (#9754 or #9762) unit.  I would call your local RV dealer, or find an authorized dealer from the site I linked, and call them to discuss your particular installation.  They will probably try and sell you a Sea-King unit.  Seeing as how you are on a lake, though, I doubt you see enough turbulence to justify the extra $. 

PigPusher