Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Contact for SEC Head of BB Officiating?

Started by lookawayquick, January 28, 2018, 07:26:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arkirish

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 28, 2018, 07:45:49 pm
While I doubt anything will come of it, it can't hurt and will at least make you feel better.  They were beyond the pale.  I actually tweeted at our AD and said stand up for competent officiating and bring back Coke and you will have a 10 year honeymoon period.  Again doubt that does any good but makes me feel better.

Amazing how many morons think the AD chooses what soda is the official soft drink of the Razorbacks.

Dropkick

Quote from: hogsanity on January 28, 2018, 11:06:29 pm
Still won't answer the question. Typical. So Ill ask one more time, Why, with your self proclaimed vast knowledge of officiating, are you not an college bball official?
I'll ask you a question. How would you defend the refs on the reversal where they thought it went off Barford's nose.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Dropkick on January 29, 2018, 10:58:42 am
I'll ask you a question. How would you defend the refs on the reversal where they thought it went off Barford's nose.

Not only that, but the fact that they OVERTURNED the call with inconclusive evidence.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Davidr295

Quote from: razorpimp on January 29, 2018, 05:29:40 am
Standard sports message board come back - check

If you have a different opinion then you never played a sport!  You probably live in your mom's basement, etc....

bottom line is Mike is an average coach, Heath and Pelphrey were well below average....hogs deserve better

Dang razorpimp you ended him with that one.  :)

Cargill A. BullHog

One thing Ive notcied is that the louder Arkansas fans get about bad officiating, the worse it gets.  This isn't anything new either, its been going on since the 70's in basketball.  I have a theory too.  Old Barnhill Arena was an incredible place to watch a game.  And many opposing teams and players have said that it was certainly the loudest arena they ever set foot in.  Now, this was about the time Eddie took over and the Hogs started their winning ways.  it was then that I first noticed that we absolutely didn't get the homecourt advantage that say a Texas or a Houston would get.  Not saying it was unfair, just that we never saw a huge discrepancy in FT's in our favor at home.  I got to thinking that it might be because of the reputation of Barnhill.  That the refs knew our loud crowd was an advantage and they mitigated that advantage by taking it easy on the opposing team.  I still think its true with BWW.  Im getting on up there, and Im waiting for a game where the Hogs shoot 40+ Ft's and the visitor shoots less than 15.  Other teams get this advantage.  I think a few weeks back MSSt tripled our FT's at their dump, because the refs didn't feel sorry for the Hogs, they felt sorry for MSSt and their decrepit basketball building. 
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dropkick on January 29, 2018, 10:58:42 am

I'm not there making the call so until I hear the reasoning behind it, I have no idea what they think they saw.

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 29, 2018, 11:07:19 am
Not only that, but the fact that they OVERTURNED the call with inconclusive evidence.

Did the refs say they had inconclusive evidence, or is that your opinion? I never heard them say that.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on January 29, 2018, 11:45:21 am
One thing Ive notcied is that the louder Arkansas fans get about bad officiating, the worse it gets.  This isn't anything new either, its been going on since the 70's in basketball.  I have a theory too.  Old Barnhill Arena was an incredible place to watch a game.  And many opposing teams and players have said that it was certainly the loudest arena they ever set foot in.  Now, this was about the time Eddie took over and the Hogs started their winning ways.  it was then that I first noticed that we absolutely didn't get the homecourt advantage that say a Texas or a Houston would get.  Not saying it was unfair, just that we never saw a huge discrepancy in FT's in our favor at home.  I got to thinking that it might be because of the reputation of Barnhill.  That the refs knew our loud crowd was an advantage and they mitigated that advantage by taking it easy on the opposing team.  I still think its true with BWW.  Im getting on up there, and Im waiting for a game where the Hogs shoot 40+ Ft's and the visitor shoots less than 15.  Other teams get this advantage.  I think a few weeks back MSSt tripled our FT's at their dump, because the refs didn't feel sorry for the Hogs, they felt sorry for MSSt and their decrepit basketball building.

By this reasoning every team that visits KY should get an advantage!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2018, 09:05:28 am
It was, but the same usual suspects were here posting the same usual " Hogs had to win 8 on 5 to beat the Dogs " stuff.

I have no problem saying a ref or an entire crew can have a bad game. I thought the crew in the KY/WVU let that game turn into rugby in the 2nd half. But to hear many hog fans every game the entire crew is intentionally out to get the Hogs. It just gets old that they go to that instead of actually looking at how the Hogs played.

So you admit a game could be called good but not that a game could be called bad?  I mean i've Never seen you even come close to admitting that even as you say refs could miss calls and you dang sure never give The Razorbacks any benefit of a doubt.

phadedhawg

One can simultaneously believe that SEC basketball refs suck AND Arkansas needs to play better. 

You can also think the refs do a bad job for both teams, not just one team is the victim. 

The OSU game isn't the worst I've ever seen but it wasn't good.  The refs made a hash of it.   It was bad enough to be comment worthy without having to be a total homer.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: phadedhawg on January 29, 2018, 12:27:35 pm
One can simultaneously believe that SEC basketball refs suck AND Arkansas needs to play better. 

You can also think the refs do a bad job for both teams, not just one team is the victim. 

The OSU game isn't the worst I've ever seen but it wasn't good.  The refs made a hash of it.   It was bad enough to be comment worthy without having to be a total homer.

Yep it's really easy to say we need to learn how to shoot free throws!  Doesn't mean a bad call or ten didn't happened also.

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 29, 2018, 12:22:07 pm
So you admit a game could be called good but not that a game could be called bad?  I mean i've Never seen you even come close to admitting that even as you say refs could miss calls and you dang sure never give The Razorbacks any benefit of a doubt.

The quote from me you replied to said " .... a ref or an entire crew can have a bad game.".

If a crew has a bad game it is usually bad both ways ( like the ky/wvu game I mentioned ). Yet every game, win or lose, the same people are here saying it was 8 on 5 against the Hogs. Last Sat was the latest example. Hogs shoot under 40% from the field ( under 37 from 3 ) and only hit 10-of 18 ft's. Those #'s are far below what they had been shooting in their last 2 or 3 games, but here we read the usual crying about the refs. The refs are why they almost had a bad loss at home to a depleted OSU team. The refs did not make the Hogs shoot something like 7 of 20 from 3 pt range or shoot a pathetic 56% from the ft line. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: phadedhawg on January 29, 2018, 12:27:35 pm

I'll go along with that. My issue is with those who go to the ref excuse EVERY GAME. The shooting stats show the Hogs had a terrible game putting the ball in the basket.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2018, 12:36:13 pm
The quote from me you replied to said " .... a ref or an entire crew can have a bad game.".

If a crew has a bad game it is usually bad both ways ( like the ky/wvu game I mentioned ). Yet every game, win or lose, the same people are here saying it was 8 on 5 against the Hogs. Last Sat was the latest example. Hogs shoot under 40% from the field ( under 37 from 3 ) and only hit 10-of 18 ft's. Those #'s are far below what they had been shooting in their last 2 or 3 games, but here we read the usual crying about the refs. The refs are why they almost had a bad loss at home to a depleted OSU team. The refs did not make the Hogs shoot something like 7 of 20 from 3 pt range or shoot a pathetic 56% from the ft line.

Refereeing and how well a team is playing are mutually exclusive, you don't call a bad game because one team is having a bad game you call a bad game because you not good at your job.
And fans complaining about isn't any kind of reason to gloss over the job they do either.

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 29, 2018, 12:49:31 pm
you call a bad game because you not good at your job.

Or, because like anyone else in any profession, you have a bad day. Ben Roethlisberger is a great QB, but he had a horrible day the 1st time they played Jax this season, threw 5 picks. Does that one day mean he is not good at his job, or just was not good at it that day? Warren Buffett is a great investor, but he missed on Amazon and Google, said he did not understand the businesses so he did not invest in them. Does that make him a bad business man, or did he just make a mistake?

Dropkick

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2018, 12:05:35 pm
I'm not there making the call so until I hear the reasoning behind it, I have no idea what they think they saw.

Did the refs say they had inconclusive evidence, or is that your opinion? I never heard them say that.

If you saw the replay, what could they have possibly seen that was conclusive to overturn a call?

hogsanity

Quote from: Dropkick on January 29, 2018, 01:09:36 pm
If you saw the replay, what could they have possibly seen that was conclusive to overturn a call?

I saw the replays they showed on tv, again no idea what they saw or what their reasoning was.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2018, 01:03:11 pm
Or, because like anyone else in any profession, you have a bad day. Ben Roethlisberger is a great QB, but he had a horrible day the 1st time they played Jax this season, threw 5 picks. Does that one day mean he is not good at his job, or just was not good at it that day? Warren Buffett is a great investor, but he missed on Amazon and Google, said he did not understand the businesses so he did not invest in them. Does that make him a bad business man, or did he just make a mistake?

I don't think you get instant replay as a businessman, Saturday was like a rerun of Groundhog Day!

Dropkick

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2018, 01:11:28 pm
I saw the replays they showed on tv, again no idea what they saw or what their reasoning was.
Is there any chance they will be evaluated after the fact and asked what the reasoning was or is it basically like HS officials who aren't held accountable?

hogsanity

Quote from: Dropkick on January 29, 2018, 01:19:52 pm
Is there any chance they will be evaluated after the fact and asked what the reasoning was or is it basically like HS officials who aren't held accountable?

No idea if they will be asked about it or not.

As for HS, we get evaluated ( at least in my association ). Also, in Ar, coaches can blackball refs so they can't work their games, home or away ( with no questions asked btw ). So if a coach just does not like you or the outcome of a game, he just tells the assignors he does not want them on his games anymore and that's it.

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 29, 2018, 12:18:18 pm
By this reasoning every team that visits KY should get an advantage!

Kentucky is above the fray.  They are in the level of Duke, UNC, Kansas, Villanova & a few others.  They ALWAYS get the calls, except when playing another blue blood.

And Im not trying to be picky, and Im sure some other poster who speaks Spanish has told you, but Cinco de Hogo would be roughly translated as 5th of Hog.

Dropkick

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2018, 01:23:46 pm

As for HS, we get evaluated ( at least in my association ). Also, in Ar, coaches can blackball refs so they can't work their games, home or away ( with no questions asked btw ). So if a coach just does not like you or the outcome of a game, he just tells the assignors he does not want them on his games anymore and that's it.
You can blackball ONE ref correct? Who evaluates the refs in your association? You guys are probably more efficient  than what goes on in NEA.

Also, a coach up here asked to blackball a certain official here, was told it was done and that official showed to to ref his next home game. Slipped the assignors mind.

Another caveat, the assignor here has a son that coaches one of the teams in the association. Ain't that great!

Sorry for derail of thread guys.......................................

I thought the way to object to terrible officiating was to put your hands on your hips and look constipated? That's what our head coach does.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dropkick on January 29, 2018, 02:12:43 pm
You can blackball ONE ref correct? Who evaluates the refs in your association? You guys are probably more efficient  than what goes on in NEA.

Also, a coach up here asked to blackball a certain official here, was told it was done and that official showed to to ref his next home game. Slipped the assignors mind.

Another caveat, the assignor here has a son that coaches one of the teams in the association. Ain't that great!

Sorry for derail of thread guys.......................................

As for our association, we have several high level guys, including guys that call college, and they will often take a newer official to an assignment and actually call with them or go watch a couple younger guys call a jrhs game or a jv game. And then tell them things they need to work on.

I was told coaches can blackball refs for any reason, never heard there was a limit but there could be.

hogsanity

Well, has anyone called them yet, Ponderin provided the #.

hawgfan4life

Hogsanity,

Still waiting to see you state without a disclaimer that the officials blew the out of bounds call.  You state you don't know if they said it was indisputable, but that is ignoring the rule.  By rule, they stated it was indisputable evidence when they reversed the call.  You whining about fans critical of officials is worse than the fans.  First, all fans everywhere whine about officiating.  Arkansas fans are certainly good at it, but we certainly don't have the market cornered.  Secondly, your whining about that makes you no better than the "Rabbit Ear" officials that call games everywhere.  I have personally been around athletics, coaches, and officials for a couple of decades and have seen officials that bragged about cheating schools and coaches they didn't like.  I have heard them brag about ejecting players and fans they didn't like for whatever reasons.  I have seen idiot coaches that know the rules so poorly, they bring some of that upon themselves acting like an ass during a game.  I have seen officials completely blow basic rules and then tell the coaches to read their rule book.  I've seen officials look at fans in the stands and dare them to say something.  I have seen officials flip fans off acting like they were scratching their nose or ear.  Officials aren't automatically perfect upstanding citizens free of bias and poor character because they put on a striped shirt and a lanyard.  You are right about one thing, there aren't nearly enough young officials getting into the profession and it is a problem now and growing as many older officials are retiring.  Regardless of all of that, your lecturing fans on a board when they are emotional is never going to win them over and most of the time, you are coming across as protecting the officials with blind allegiance and disregarding the fans perspective.

While it may have been coincidental, virtually all of the calls that were impacting the game were going OSU's direction the last 10 minutes or so of the game.  I noticed it when they called the fall on Macon and the ball handler barrelled straight into him while he was backpeddling straight back.  They immediately called the foul on Barford and the technical.  They called a reach in on Hall (I think) when he wasn't reaching in as much as the offensive player was shoving him with a forearm shiver.  They overturned an out of bounds call that was clearly out on the OSU player and in no way close to indisputable.  Yes they could have called a foul on the tip in and the two shots at the rim to end the game, but those would have been bad calls as well had they done so.  In short, they refs had a bad game and their calls were skewed against one team when the game was on the line.  That is indefensible.  The fact that Mississippi State shot so many free throws in a game both were playing similar was indefensible like Wally stated in his column.  It happens in football too.  The KY RB that was ejected for not accepting the officials assistance and shoving his hands out of the way was indefensible.  That is the human element of the game and in part is what makes them exciting.  At no time should officials get their panties in a wad and let their officiating be influenced in a game, but it happens.  The way you post on this board, I suspect you do that quite regularly.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 29, 2018, 02:51:15 pm
Hogsanity,

Still waiting to see you state without a disclaimer that the officials blew the out of bounds call.  You state you don't know if they said it was indisputable, but that is ignoring the rule.  By rule, they stated it was indisputable evidence when they reversed the call.  You whining about fans critical of officials is worse than the fans.  First, all fans everywhere whine about officiating.  Arkansas fans are certainly good at it, but we certainly don't have the market cornered.  Secondly, your whining about that makes you no better than the "Rabbit Ear" officials that call games everywhere.  I have personally been around athletics, coaches, and officials for a couple of decades and have seen officials that bragged about cheating schools and coaches they didn't like.  I have heard them brag about ejecting players and fans they didn't like for whatever reasons.  I have seen idiot coaches that know the rules so poorly, they bring some of that upon themselves acting like an ass during a game.  I have seen officials completely blow basic rules and then tell the coaches to read their rule book.  I've seen officials look at fans in the stands and dare them to say something.  I have seen officials flip fans off acting like they were scratching their nose or ear.  Officials aren't automatically perfect upstanding citizens free of bias and poor character because they put on a striped shirt and a lanyard.  You are right about one thing, there aren't nearly enough young officials getting into the profession and it is a problem now and growing as many older officials are retiring.  Regardless of all of that, your lecturing fans on a board when they are emotional is never going to win them over and most of the time, you are coming across as protecting the officials with blind allegiance and disregarding the fans perspective.

While it may have been coincidental, virtually all of the calls that were impacting the game were going OSU's direction the last 10 minutes or so of the game.  I noticed it when they called the fall on Macon and the ball handler barrelled straight into him while he was backpeddling straight back.  They immediately called the foul on Barford and the technical.  They called a reach in on Hall (I think) when he wasn't reaching in as much as the offensive player was shoving him with a forearm shiver.  They overturned an out of bounds call that was clearly out on the OSU player and in no way close to indisputable.  Yes they could have called a foul on the tip in and the two shots at the rim to end the game, but those would have been bad calls as well had they done so.  In short, they refs had a bad game and their calls were skewed against one team when the game was on the line.  That is indefensible.  The fact that Mississippi State shot so many free throws in a game both were playing similar was indefensible like Wally stated in his column.  It happens in football too.  The KY RB that was ejected for not accepting the officials assistance and shoving his hands out of the way was indefensible.  That is the human element of the game and in part is what makes them exciting.  At no time should officials get their panties in a wad and let their officiating be influenced in a game, but it happens.  The way you post on this board, I suspect you do that quite regularly.

I don't know that they blew the call, so why would I say they did?

I know all fan bases whine about refs, but I am only on a Hog board, and it is every freaking game. Last year, blown out by 28 at OSU, yep, 1st thread up was how the refs screwed the Hogs.

As for me. I have never T'd up anyone in basketball, never tossed a coach or fan is basketball. I just laugh at some of the stuff the fans yell because it is usually so stupid. I have never thrown a flag for unsportsmanlike on a coach in football. I have never tossed anyone is a HS baseball game, coach or fan ( did toss a player for dropping the f bomb on an opponent ). I have tossed coaches and fans in usssa games.

Maybe I just do not have the familiarity that often breeds contempt. I'm in a different gym every night, different towns all across West Ar and East Ok, I do not know the coaches, do not care to. I could not care less which team wins.

Your part about not enough young officials is ironic, because it is the constant whining and complaining, especially in bball, that keeps younger guys from calling it. I know sever guys that do football and baseball, and they will not do basketball because of that. Every call, no matter how obvious, always has someone yelling the classics " You gotta call it both ways " " oh yea, we're getting roaded now " " oh gotta protect the big boys ' " well I guess we know who's writing the check tonight " just to name a few. And then of course every coach has gone to class to know how to flail his arms, hold them out pleadingly, talk about how they expect a makeup call, how we missed the same thing on the other end, etc. They just do not want to mess with it. So, what we end up with are not enough officials, and the ones we have stay in a fast moving game long after they are physically able to do the job well.

Nickle-Pig

Quote from: hogsanity on January 28, 2018, 08:23:13 pm
Why are none of you college officials since you seem to know so much about officiating college ball?

The best part of the game is yelling at the umpire., ya know.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on January 29, 2018, 02:03:57 pm
Kentucky is above the fray.  They are in the level of Duke, UNC, Kansas, Villanova & a few others.  They ALWAYS get the calls, except when playing another blue blood.

And Im not trying to be picky, and Im sure some other poster who speaks Spanish has told you, but Cinco de Hogo would be roughly translated as 5th of Hog.

Did anyone every tell you there is no such thing as a Bullhog?  And why is a turkey acting like a Razorback?  Now trying to be picky...

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 29, 2018, 03:18:44 pm
Did anyone every tell you there is no such thing as a Bullhog?  And why is a turkey acting like a Razorback?  Now trying to be picky...

I just didn't want to put my last name up, so I altered it.  But I guess I deserved that.  And I know about the unfortunate association with gobblers my first name has taken on the last few years.  My wife and I play a game where she tries to find all the "Cargill" trucks and I look for the "JB" trucks (her intitials were JB)  Loser has to tote firewood! 

Thanks for talking Cinco.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2018, 12:05:35 pm

I get it. You're protecting your kind. But anyone with eyes saw that there was ZERO conclusive evidence to overturn the Barford drive that went out of bounds. I'd even venture to say that I had a better view than the refs on my high def big screen with slow motion. There was NO way that they found CONCLUSIVE evidence. But hey...it happened. So you'd think they'd use tha SAME criteria with the Thompson block. No. It looked like it went off the ok st guy, but it still went their way. I'm not one to say every game is decided by refs. But to blindly say that these refs were in the right is just a hard bias imo
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on January 29, 2018, 03:27:52 pm
I just didn't want to put my last name up, so I altered it.  But I guess I deserved that.  And I know about the unfortunate association with gobblers my first name has taken on the last few years.  My wife and I play a game where she tries to find all the "Cargill" trucks and I look for the "JB" trucks (her intitials were JB)  Loser has to tote firewood! 

Thanks for talking Cinco.

Truth is I just picked my handle because it sounded good, I keep telling people it doesn't "mean"  anything.  I still think it "cute"!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 29, 2018, 03:34:07 pm
Truth is I just picked my handle because it sounded good, I keep telling people it doesn't "mean"  anything.  I still think it "cute"!
I'm still trying to find Hogo on the calendar, senor.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 29, 2018, 03:46:56 pm
I'm still trying to find Hogo on the calendar, senor.

Maybe it a bottle of wiskey.  Keep looking, I need my family who deserted me when I was five, or was it on the 5th.

Cargill A. BullHog

Well, it is certainly a snappy name.  I just love how everyone has all these creative names for themselves.  Its almost like it used to be on the CB radio back when I drove

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on January 29, 2018, 03:57:15 pm
Well, it is certainly a snappy name.  I just love how everyone has all these creative names for themselves.  Its almost like it used to be on the CB radio back when I drove

10-4 there BullHog... alway wished I could do CB slang but just never had the knack.

hawgfan4life

You should use your eyes and brain and discern whether it was a blown call or not.  If so, say it!  Let me demonstrate:

They blew that call!  It was indefensible!

It's that easy.  Ironic you have zero trouble being hyper critical of the coach.  Fans criticize the officials and your deeply troubled.  Fans criticize the coach and you're all in.  Fans criticize the officials are a sign of the end times.  Fans criticize the coaching and it is justice.  What a joke!

jfred59

If you are going to contact the Head of officials, please contact him about Hogsanity and let him know that he is best in the Country at evaluating them.  While you are at it, make sure that you mention Ron Groover, Goober or whatever it is because he has been involved in several games where we have gotten the short end of the stick

Knot2brite

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2018, 01:23:46 pm

Ok I read the stuff you write about officials and I chuckle and just go in because I know how officials will back each other up on any social
Media form. But I can't let this go...coaches can try to black ball officas but 90% of the time it doesn't work. The only time it works is when you have a assignor and most conferences do not have that...and the useless and corrupt AAA doesn't give three shits if you don't want the officials calling your games or not. As the head idiot in charge Lance Taylor said...we don't have enough officials to allow coaches to pick and choose. And lord forbid if one of the "uncorrutable" Offical's ever find out you dared to ball ball them....trust me..I know these things ....20 plus years on the sidelines, courts and fields....
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Randohoggie

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 29, 2018, 02:59:51 pm
So instead of complaining, why not become an official and help solve the shortage?
You seem to have all the answers..

If you don't like it, go be a ref?

That's stupid as hell, as a response and just as an idea in general.

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 29, 2018, 04:04:31 pm
10-4 there BullHog... alway wished I could do CB slang but just never had the knack.

Just jabber incoherently, throw in a few 10's, call everybody a "sumbitch" and youre pretty much there