Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Melvin Johnson

Started by Bacon_Bitz, December 15, 2016, 07:36:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon_Bitz

With Edwards off the board, Johnson is our only remaining target at DT. Unranked All American from the Cali JUCO circuit. Is he a potential midterm enrollee?

Looks like he's gone from 6'3" 255 to 6'5" 285 during his JUCO years ut who knows what the real numbers are.

ricepig

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on December 15, 2016, 07:36:30 am
With Edwards off the board, Johnson is our only remaining target at DT. Unranked All American from the Cali JUCO circuit. Is he a potential midterm enrollee?

Looks like he's gone from 6'3" 255 to 6'5" 285 during his JUCO years ut who knows what the real numbers are.

It's been said here and elsewhere that he would more than likely need a redshirt year, we needed a plug and play type guy, to be honest.

navyhog24

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2016, 07:39:11 am
It's been said here and elsewhere that he would more than likely need a redshirt year, we needed a plug and play type guy, to be honest.

That's where the coaches failed yet again with Edwards. They put all of their eggs in one basket as always.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: navyhog24 on December 15, 2016, 07:53:47 am
That's where the coaches failed yet again with Edwards. They put all of their eggs in one basket as always.

There's a reason we're supposedly only taking about 23 this class even though we apparently have room for more.  Just like all the previous classes, we for some reason aren't able to fill a class with SEC caliber talent.  Let's not pretend that we actually WANT to only take 23 as is often conveyed or believed by a fan base.  We're taking less likely because it's all we can get.  It's dang hard to recruit to Fayetteville. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

colbs

Maybe they can get a graduate transfer.

The_Iceman

We have some DT depth. Not the biggest loss.

colbs

They signed a really good DL class last year.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 15, 2016, 08:12:59 am

Correct, but you NEVER want to go 0'fer on DT in any class.  Two questions...will Agim stay a DT and will Marshall be a DT or DE? 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

King Kong

If we are truly going a year 3-4 next season this is a big loss. Leaves what Jackson and Capps as our only NG options

snoop hawgy hawg

Quote from: King Kong on December 15, 2016, 08:35:01 am
If we are truly going a year 3-4 next season this is a big loss. Leaves what Jackson and Capps as our only NG options
you forgot guidry red shirted 4* 6'3 294 DT

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: King Kong on December 15, 2016, 08:35:01 am

Well Jackson and Capps are our only linemen over 300 lbs.  Guidry, Marshall, and Watts are all 290+ so they could maybe be used at NG too if they've got the strength and the determination.  But I don't know that CBB necessarily expects a hulking behemoth at NG like Bama.  That's just not reasonable for most teams in college football, including those that run a defense with 3 down linemen.

Regardless, Jackson and Capps would make an excellent 2-deep if they stay healthy.  Both showed promise this year.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Do we really know they put all their eggs in one basket?  This guy was an FL commit. The coaches got him to look at us. Still, quality DL are difficult to get. We have a back up, who, obviously, isn't as good in our eyes, but that's why he is a back up. I too would like more D in this class, but a lot can happen between now and Feb.

And does anyone else think the term "unranked All-American" is weird?

EFBAB

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on December 15, 2016, 08:53:43 am
Do we really know they put all their eggs in one basket?  This guy was an FL commit. The coaches got him to look at us. Still, quality DL are difficult to get. We have a back up, who, obviously, isn't as good in our eyes, but that's why he is a back up. I too would like more D in this class, but a lot can happen between now and Feb.

And does anyone else think the term "unranked All-American" is weird?

EFBAB
Noticed that as well. Somewhat akin to a total oxymoron. Or in HV's case just a moron.  :D ;D 8)

redleg

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2016, 07:39:11 am

Austin Capps and Bijhon Jackson will start at DT.....or.....will battle it out for the starting noseguard spot if CBB moves the defense to a 3-4. Briston Guidry and Armon Watts will compete too.
Agim must be moved to his natural position of DE!
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

moto625

Quote from: redleg on December 15, 2016, 09:04:56 am
Austin Capps and Bijhon Jackson will start at DT.....or.....will battle it out for the starting noseguard spot if CBB moves the defense to a 3-4. Briston Guidry and Armon Watts will compete too.
Agim must be moved to his natural position of DE!
I agree Agim is better at DE but if we stay in a 4-3 he will stay in the middle.

redleg

THAT would be a misuse of talent. He projects at SDE on the next level, and he has that kind of talent.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 15, 2016, 09:04:17 am
Noticed that as well. Somewhat akin to a total oxymoron. Or in HV's case just a moron.  :D ;D 8)

It's because he's just an All American for some California JUCO association. So he's really All Californian.  Plenty of JUCOs still fly under the radar of recruiting evaluators. Don't you remember when when Ronald Ollie couldn't even get enough on tape to send to schools even though he was starting for a national JUCO powerhouse?!?!

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: moto625 on December 15, 2016, 09:16:06 am
I agree Agim is better at DE but if we stay in a 4-3 he will stay in the middle.

I actually think our move to the 3-4 might be because it fits our personnel we have already much better than Hogville has ascertained

The_Boot_stops_here

It is a big loss.  The staff put a LOT of time into this young man and wanted him for a reason.  They swung and missed.  And the backup plan (Johnson) is clearly not the player Edwards is.  Times like this remind you that this staff just is not capable of recruiting at a consistently high level. Doesn't mean their terrible but there are no excuses to be made for this loss.

redleg

I agree!
Capps or Jackson at NG, Agim at one end, Beanum or TJ Smith or Day. Dean at the other end, with Ramsay and Greenlaw at OLB, and DeJon Harris and LaFrance at ILB. It would work!

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 15, 2016, 09:22:49 am
It is a big loss.  The staff put a LOT of time into this young man and wanted him for a reason.  They swung and missed.  And the backup plan (Johnson) is clearly not the player Edwards is.  Times like this remind you that this staff just is not capable of recruiting at a consistently high level. Doesn't mean their terrible but there are no excuses to be made for this loss.

Outside of the top 10 normal schools, what staff recruits on a consistent basis, lol? Who's making an excuse, we didn't get him, fact is we miss more than we hit, as does every school. Have you ever looked at offers/commit for every school?

redleg

Edwards obviously was looking for somewhere "better". CBB and his staff are solid recruiters. The key is to start winning more than 6 or 7 games in a season. Do that, and the campus, the facilities, and the program will recruit itself.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2016, 09:25:37 am
Outside of the top 10 normal schools, what staff recruits on a consistent basis, lol? Who's making an excuse, we didn't get him, fact is we miss more than we hit, as does every school. Have you ever looked at offers/commit for every school?
Don't stop boot when he's on his usual negative rant roll. Don't you know that virtually nothing CBB and staff do is right ???

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 15, 2016, 09:29:35 am
Don't stop boot when he's on his usual negative rant roll. Don't you know that virtually nothing CBB and staff do is right ???

I understand, haha. We aren't going to be Tennessee or Bama, and get 30 to commit, and then start having guys "de-commit" around this time of the year. Now, one can agree or disagree with that policy, but it's ours.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: redleg on December 15, 2016, 09:27:24 am
Edwards obviously was looking for somewhere "better". CBB and his staff are solid recruiters. The key is to start winning more than 6 or 7 games in a season. Do that, and the campus, the facilities, and the program will recruit itself.

It's the chicken or the egg comment.  Have to have better talent to win more that 7 consistently.  Fayetteville and UA just aren't an attractive options to the vaaaast majority of the talent no matter the coach.

King Kong

Quote from: snoop hawgy hawg on December 15, 2016, 08:41:38 am

I didn't forget Guidry. I don't see him as a NG in the 3-4. Maybe the coaches do. We will find out in the spring.

Next1_04

Don't be bringing that common sense jargon in here now. A few heads may explode.

ricepig

Quote from: Next1_04 on December 15, 2016, 09:38:25 am
Don't be bringing that common sense jargon in here now. A few heads may explode.

Sorry, how about, "fire them all"?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2016, 09:34:32 am
I understand, haha. We aren't going to be Tennessee or Bama, and get 30 to commit, and then start having guys "de-commit" around this time of the year. Now, one can agree or disagree with that policy, but it's ours.

Unfortunately, TN or Bama's policy has never come into play for us or even been an option.  We struggle filling a class as it is.  There aren't enough adequately talented players available to us to get 30 to commit here.  So that policy is really moot for UA.

Hollywood870

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2016, 08:19:48 am
Correct, but you NEVER want to go 0'fer on DT in any class.  Two questions...will Agim stay a DT and will Marshall be a DT or DE?
The Troy James kid is up to 290 they say. Assuming we hold on to him. But yes we need one more.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 15, 2016, 09:29:35 am

I do think this staff lacks anything more than average recruiting ability.  That being said, while I realize that based on the recruiting forum it looks like I don't like Bielema, if you knew me in person, which you don't, you would know that I have been very pro Bielema from the beginning.  Now, if he doesn't see the need to make staff changes on the defensive side of the ball, I will have lost some of that faith that I had in him.  But that's probably better left to MMQB. 

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2016, 09:39:56 am
Unfortunately, TN or Bama's policy has never come into play for us or even been an option.  We struggle filling a class as it is.  There aren't enough adequately talented players available to us to get 30 to commit here.  So that policy is really moot for UA.

We could fill the class, that isn't a question at all. Now, would we fill it with guys HV wanted, or the coaching staff? And one factor most fail to enter in to the discussion, is the 85 number. I don't know exactly where we stand on it, and I don't think the coaching staff knows 100% at this time of the year either.

The_Boot_stops_here

Forget the "top 10 normal schools".  We are struggling to stay in the top 10 of the SEC. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2016, 09:44:26 am

We could fill the class, that isn't a question at all. Now, would we fill it with guys HV wanted, or the coaching staff? And one factor most fail to enter in to the discussion, is the 85 number. I don't know exactly where we stand on it, and I don't think the coaching staff knows 100% at this time of the year either.

Sure, anyone can fill a class, but I absolutely believe we have been unable to fill classes, because the appropriate talent level isn't available to us in enough numbers.  As such, we've elected to hold scholies back so as to not reach on kids.  That's the right thing to do.  However, it's always better to fill the class if the talent is available, but it just hasn't been.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 15, 2016, 09:46:26 am
Forget the "top 10 normal schools".  We are struggling to stay in the top 10 of the SEC. 

To be fair, probably most of the normal schools are SEC.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on December 15, 2016, 08:44:53 am
Well Jackson and Capps are our only linemen over 300 lbs.  Guidry, Marshall, and Watts are all 290+ so they could maybe be used at NG too if they've got the strength and the determination.  But I don't know that CBB necessarily expects a hulking behemoth at NG like Bama.  That's just not reasonable for most teams in college football, including those that run a defense with 3 down linemen.

Regardless, Jackson and Capps would make an excellent 2-deep if they stay healthy.  Both showed promise this year.

Well, in the 3-4 you only have one on the field, so that is a very good 2 deep with a very high rated redshirt freshamn waiting to take some snaps over.  A sufficient 3-4 though requires a vince wilfork type though.  A big strong interior Dlineman that can eat up the two inside gaps each side of the center.  If he can require a double team then all of a sudden you have a corner pass rush no matter who the DE or OLB is. 

onebadrubi

Why are you so quick to knock this staff when they did the exact same thing for a WR that could have gone anywhere and won?  In previous years, this late in the recruiting season if we were swinging for 2 highly rated guys we would have missed on both (look to just last year), yet this year we get 1 of 2.  Why are people so quick to bash when good things are right in front of their face.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2016, 09:39:56 am

We might struggle to sign 25 players with SEC offers, but Tenner can't seem to keep a class together after they sign them.  There is something to be said about that.

a0ashle

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 15, 2016, 10:01:58 am
Well, in the 3-4 you only have one on the field, so that is a very good 2 deep with a very high rated redshirt freshamn waiting to take some snaps over.  A sufficient 3-4 though requires a vince wilfork type though.  A big strong interior Dlineman that can eat up the two inside gaps each side of the center.  If he can require a double team then all of a sudden you have a corner pass rush no matter who the DE or OLB is.

The 2-gap is one flavor of the 3-4. Packers and Steeler run the 2-Gap. The 1-gap distributes gap assignments across DL and LB. The Broncos run 1-gap, they have Sylvester Williams at NG 6-3 318

Edit:Houston runs the 1-gap with Wilfork, but then again no NFL runs any defense exclusively.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 15, 2016, 09:46:26 am

How so?  10 SEC teams weren't beating Florida this past season?

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 15, 2016, 10:05:02 am
Why are you so quick to knock this staff when they did the exact same thing for a WR that could have gone anywhere and won?  In previous years, this late in the recruiting season if we were swinging for 2 highly rated guys we would have missed on both (look to just last year), yet this year we get 1 of 2.  Why are people so quick to bash when good things are right in front of their face.

I've already acknowledged the Martin get was fantastic.  I was pretty quick about that.  Edwards is a bad loss though.

Hollywood870

Quote from: snoop hawgy hawg on December 15, 2016, 08:41:38 am
Guidry and Agim would be nice ends. Jackson will be a prototype 3-4 NG. Edwards hurts. We can find someone surely.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 15, 2016, 10:10:08 am

Nor did 10 SEC teams lose to MO.  Our recruiting is average.  Always has been.  No matter the coach.  We are a 7-5 program until recruiting picks up.  It's unlikely to do so for many reasons.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 15, 2016, 10:10:08 am

What are you talking about?  We're talking recruiting

Hollywood870

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2016, 09:44:26 am

How about a walkon, 6'3 225 dl that turns into a Wayne Martin. Don't think Martin was a walkon but those we're close to his measurables coming out. We are gonna have to start beating some bushes. All there is to it.

Hollywood870

Johnson certainly looks good on the hoof. Looks 6-5 to me. Would be a nice addition at this point.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 15, 2016, 10:17:25 am
What are you talking about?  We're talking recruiting

So we are more worried about recruiting rankings, done by people who jobs are based on subscriptions vs what happens on the field?  If you are going to say we are having issues staying in the top 10 of the SEC, i would think it matters much more where who we beat and who we lost too.  Examples given are Florida and Mizzou, just goes to show recruiting rankings are almost meaningless.  We can beat a top ranked recruiting class and we can lose to someone who we've out recruited. 

In my opinion only, the only numbers in recruiting that matter are pulling a top player at his position (say Whaley or Agim or Martin), keeping top instate talent home, and then of course the measurable.  You get caught up in ranking classes and there is more politics in that than the presidential race.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2016, 10:17:19 am
Nor did 10 SEC teams lose to MO.  Our recruiting is average.  Always has been.  No matter the coach.  We are a 7-5 program until recruiting picks up.  It's unlikely to do so for many reasons.

We are keeping the top instate kids home, that is a first in our SEC lifetime that I remember.  outside of the state it is a blood bath for recruits.  It also appears we playing by the book when many schools aren't when it comes to recruiting so that puts us behind as well. 

Hollywood870

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 15, 2016, 10:51:10 am
We are keeping the top instate kids home, that is a first in our SEC lifetime that I remember.  outside of the state it is a blood bath for recruits.  It also appears we playing by the book when many schools aren't when it comes to recruiting so that puts us behind as well.
I agree that we are playing by the book, that's why I want to see Johnston and Bumper Pool at LB in a couple years. No racist. Just would like to see us go with some stout, Penn State type MLB's who aren't asking for signing bonuses. Although I admit I could be wrong.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 15, 2016, 10:51:10 am

Yes, but there are very few legit in-state kids.  We have to effectively go outside and participate in the blood bath.