Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

these last 5 or 6 scholarships may go to

Started by nwahogfan1, December 04, 2016, 09:14:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

20hog11

Hearing elsewhere that we will only sign 23 players max for this class. Has RD mentioned how many we can sign? I thought we could sign 25. Brandon Martin appears to be leaning towards us as has been discussed in another thread. He and Edwards will make their decisions later this week.

colbs

Quote from: 20hog11 on December 12, 2016, 11:48:54 am
Hearing elsewhere that we will only sign 23 players max for this class. Has RD mentioned how many we can sign? I thought we could sign 25. Brandon Martin appears to be leaning towards us as has been discussed in another thread. He and Edwards will make their decisions later this week.
I think Michael Smith said 23-25.

WooPig90

Brandon Martin
Chevin Calloway
Javier Edwards
Brandon Stewart
Thomas Johnston
Kamren Curl

That would be a great finish

colbs

Quote from: WooPig90 on December 12, 2016, 12:17:07 pm
Brandon Martin
Chevin Calloway
Javier Edwards
Brandon Stewart
Thomas Johnston
Kamren Curl

No doubt!

Deep Shoat

Brandon Martin
Chevin Calloway
Javier Edwards
Brandon Stewart
Thomas Johnston
Kamren Curl

Sadly, I think Johnston is going to Iowa.  And he's one I've really wanted for a long time.
All Gas, No Brakes!

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 12, 2016, 01:33:23 pm
He's prolly too slow for a screen to work.  ;D
I think you have to be able to out run the OC to run a screen there.

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on December 12, 2016, 01:34:59 pm
I think you have to be able to out run the OC to run a screen there.

Damn, man, that is too funny.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Calloway has a final 3 of Arkansas, Ole Miss, Texas.

colbs

December 12, 2016, 03:45:48 pm #60 Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 04:05:32 pm by colbs
Quote from: ricepig on December 12, 2016, 03:36:53 pm
Great if he goes elsewhere it will be to one of my two least favorite schools.

sowmonella

Quote from: ricepig on December 12, 2016, 03:36:53 pm

OM & Tejas are in massive nose dive mode.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

onebadrubi

Quote from: sowmonella on December 12, 2016, 03:58:54 pm
OM & Tejas are in massive nose dive mode.

I would believe it's between us and Texas, texas coming on strong here at the end. 

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 12, 2016, 05:09:27 pm
I would believe it's between us and Texas, texas coming on strong here at the end. 

Coming on "Herman" at the end.

Hogdomer

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 12, 2016, 05:09:27 pm

He is supposedly friends with Eno Benjamin, a running back who Texas just offered and who is likely to go there.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hogdomer on December 12, 2016, 09:24:00 pm
He is supposedly friends with Eno Benjamin, a running back who Texas just offered and who is likely to go there.

I felt great about Caloway till Herman took the job and offered.  A lot of "steam" going in the texas direction even if it's just "steam", that program has it right now. 

Hogdomer

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 12, 2016, 09:33:26 pm
I felt great about Caloway till Herman took the job and offered.  A lot of "steam" going in the texas direction even if it's just "steam", that program has it right now. 

True but we still have the last OV and Callaway has a lot of family who are Hog fans.  We can get the momentum back, especially if we can win the bowl.

King Kong

If we don't get Chevin this will be a really low ranked class

Oklahawg

Quote from: King Kong on December 12, 2016, 10:23:24 pm
If we don't get Chevin this will be a really low ranked class

One player will not make or break this class. Worry about a string of decommits or whiffs, not individual players (although, yes, I too want Calloway as he is a potential early contributor where we need them).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hollywood870

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 12, 2016, 11:51:28 pm
One player will not make or break this class. Worry about a string of decommits or whiffs, not individual players (although, yes, I too want Calloway as he is a potential early contributor where we need them).
New Crystal Ball tonight from a Texas guy. Calloway to Arkansas.

King Kong

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 12, 2016, 11:51:28 pm

In terms of recruiting rankings it can. That is all I'm talking about. With Chevin we may end up with at top 25 to 30 class. Without him more like top 30-40.

Now I understand that the staff thinks a lot of our guys are under the radar. If they didn't they would not have accepted their commitments so early.

a0ashle

I'd be curious to see the raw ratings of the top 30 teams over the last 20 years.  I have a feeling that the top 30 ratings have contracted over the years, the #30 raw rating climbing. It would be another piece of evidence toward the parity we see.

Oklahawg

Quote from: a0ashle on December 13, 2016, 09:50:13 am
I'd be curious to see the raw ratings of the top 30 teams over the last 20 years.  I have a feeling that the top 30 ratings have contracted over the years, the #30 raw rating climbing. It would be another piece of evidence toward the parity we see.

If you dive into the metrics used in evals (and they are slowly improving from the days of Otis Kirk calling the head office and asking for a bump to drive the Arkansas rivals or scout site - whichever he was on) you'll find there is an elite core of 6-8 teams who are somewhat interchangeable at the top, another 15-20 who are rather interchangeable in the next tier, and then everybody else. It is highly unusual for UA to be outside of that second tier but it does happen. Not sure that Calloway is enough to sway the data that hard, but it might be possible.

sowmonella

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 13, 2016, 03:53:44 pm
If you dive into the metrics used in evals (and they are slowly improving from the days of Otis Kirk calling the head office and asking for a bump to drive the Arkansas rivals or scout site - whichever he was on) you'll find there is an elite core of 6-8 teams who are somewhat interchangeable at the top, another 15-20 who are rather interchangeable in the next tier, and then everybody else. It is highly unusual for UA to be outside of that second tier but it does happen. Not sure that Calloway is enough to sway the data that hard, but it might be possible.

I was told there wouldn't be any math required in this forum.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Vantage 8 dude

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Wildhog on December 13, 2016, 05:23:00 pm
Where have you been?  Haven't noticed your vitriol in a while.
Aww.....trying out one of the dime priced words you've been given for Christmas ??? Nice........ ;D

Bubba's Bruisers

Brandon Martin
Chevin Calloway
Javier Edwards
Brandon Stewart
Thomas Johnston
Kamren Curl

Who are Stewart and Curl?  And is either an OL?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ricepig

Oklahawg

Quote from: sowmonella on December 13, 2016, 04:16:16 pm
I was told there wouldn't be any math required in this forum.

Sorry, usually no math is required.

Quote from: Wildhog on December 13, 2016, 05:23:00 pm
Where have you been?  Haven't noticed your vitriol in a while.

A dictionary is sometimes helpful, though.

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 13, 2016, 04:52:09 pm
Or brains either ;) 8) :P

Let's not get too optimistic.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on December 13, 2016, 07:07:17 pm
Nope, DB's.

Could really use another SEC caliber OL in this class.  The numbers have sucked that last couple classes.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 13, 2016, 07:54:31 pm
Could really use another SEC caliber OL in this class.  The numbers have sucked that last couple classes.

Yeah, I figured we'd get one more, but no one on the radar that I know of.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 13, 2016, 07:54:31 pm

Our 4th is hopefully ragnow!  But ragardless I like our 3 and if ragnow stays I really like our numbers.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 13, 2016, 08:17:17 pm
Our 4th is hopefully ragnow!  But ragardless I like our 3 and if ragnow stays I really like our numbers.

Ragnow or not, the recent recruiting numbers have not been good.  3 OL each class is not good. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 13, 2016, 08:34:13 pm
Ragnow or not, the recent recruiting numbers have not been good.  3 OL each class is not good.

While I agree, 3 quality is an improvement for us over the past couple of seasons.  I think our goal is actually 4 a year if I remember Bielema from a few years back. 3-4 a year and hopefully 12-15 on the roster (that might have been a number given excluding red shirts).