Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

these last 5 or 6 scholarships may go to

Started by nwahogfan1, December 04, 2016, 09:14:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

defensive players unless they find a superstar OLM or WR they do not want to pass on. 

We need defensive speed and athleticism all over on Defensive so I hope we can find a few more special guys..

HoggusMaximus

Music City Hog

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 04, 2016, 09:29:26 pm
I'd settle for depth at this point.

Yes, depth is what we need.  The starters are solid.  Just need defensive depth.

longpig

For a few months now I figured the last few were going to some ringers, but judging by the offers handed out lately it doesn't look that way.
Don't be scared, be smart.

luke hawg

Thomas Johnston, Chevin Calloway, Javier Edwards, Melvin Johnson, Chris Turner or Jordan Wright. I think they'll take both defensive ends if they can but tall order.

Oklahawg

Quote from: luke hawg on December 04, 2016, 11:44:32 pm
Thomas Johnston, Chevin Calloway, Javier Edwards, Melvin Johnson, Chris Turner or Jordan Wright. I think they'll take both defensive ends if they can but tall order.

They appear set on taking the first LB to commit between Johnston and Fisher.  They also are chasing at least one, maybe two, more safeties. While I'd like all of these names we will take the first to commit from each wish list: DT, DE, LB, CB, S. And, likely, one athlete or one offensive player.

That we aren't hearing options at CB makes me feel good about Calloway.

Any news from Jack Anderson, OL from TX who chose Texas Tech over us? I always thought he was a candidate to flip late in the process.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Music City Hog on December 04, 2016, 11:06:11 pm
Yes, depth is what we need.  The starters are solid.  Just need defensive depth.
If you are building depth with the NEXT recruiting class you have problems.

26.2Hog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 05, 2016, 03:59:06 pm

Yes, we have problems on defense.

ricepig

They want a DT, DE, LB, and CB that can contribute next year, of course, we all know about wishing in one hand........

longpig

Quote from: luke hawg on December 04, 2016, 11:44:32 pm

I just read on Wholehog where Chris Turner was denied a visit to the engineering department at Mizzou.  He said, "I guess they didn't have time for it".

Could be his degree of interest is offered 2 hours south in Rolla, not Columbia.

Sir Oinksalot

...papers say he got the full tour of ED on his visit and we are very high on his list.

Sounds like a great weekend for us up there with several of the guys..l
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

a0ashle

Quote from: longpig on December 06, 2016, 08:13:59 am
I just read on Wholehog where Chris Turner was denied a visit to the engineering department at Mizzou.  He said, "I guess they didn't have time for it".

Could be his degree of interest is offered 2 hours south in Rolla, not Columbia.

It's not often I hear something about my first Alma Mater here. Rolla has the more obscure Engineering degrees, but if it was a mainstream (computer, civil, mechanical) I can't imagine Columbia wouldn't have it. Maybe he was looking for a Mining and Explosives Engineering degree ;)

Oklahawg

We are waiting on Edwards to choose before allowing Johnson to commit.

I think Wright is #1 at DE above Turner, but I'm not sure.

I suspect that Calloway is a silent to UA because we have not recruited alternatives. Somewhat risky with UT now pursuing him aggressively.

I am still trying to figure out whether Woods was "best player available" or we are targeting a safety. The latter appears accurate with at least two on the radar.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

colbs

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 06, 2016, 12:34:48 pm

I suspect that Calloway is a silent to UA because we have not recruited alternatives. Somewhat risky with UT now pursuing him aggressively.

I am still trying to figure out whether Woods was "best player available" or we are targeting a safety. The latter appears accurate with at least two on the radar.

Who are the two safeties they on the radar? 

Oklahawg

Quote from: colbs on December 06, 2016, 12:57:28 pm
Who are the two safeties they on the radar? 

Kameran Curl, Muskogee OK, and Jaiden Cole, Monroe LA.

tophawg19

it looks like we can take 27 this year with 2 counting back
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hawghiggs

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 06, 2016, 08:21:18 pm
it looks like we can take 27 this year with 2 counting back

CBB won't do that. But I wish he would.

colbs

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 06, 2016, 05:21:22 pm
Kameran Curl, Muskogee OK, and Jaiden Cole, Monroe LA.
Thanks.  Both have a really good offer list.

FATHAWG08

Maybe they will look at Pettaway at Safety this spring. How is his speed versus what we already have?
I love off season Football!!

Oklahawg

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on December 06, 2016, 09:38:22 pm
Maybe they will look at Pettaway at Safety this spring. How is his speed versus what we already have?

Unless he was at safety this fall I suspect they'll keep him at WR and go with the defensive redshirts as the "new guys". Who knows, though, at this point. I like the idea - he is quite a bit faster.

onebadrubi

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on December 06, 2016, 09:38:22 pm

I'm hoping he becomes the next physical receiver for us

longpig

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 07, 2016, 10:45:28 am
I'm hoping he becomes the next physical receiver for us

Could be our most promising group of newcomers ever.  Pettway,  Jones, Stewart, Boateng, Enlow, McClure, Warnock.............  I'd never heard mention of Warnock but he's apparently caught Coach Bielema's attention in practices.

Oklahawg

Interesting that Munson (commit) was mentioned as a safety recruit today, when there was a lot of chatter about him being a LB recruit. Another hybrid position being filled (finally) in recruiting?

colbs

Quote from: Hawghiggs on December 06, 2016, 08:52:17 pm
CBB won't do that. But I wish he would.
I think he doesn't because he will have to encourage players to transfer to make room.  I am sure if a big name wanted to he would consider.

colbs

Oklahawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 06, 2016, 12:34:48 pm

Funny how quickly this stuff moves.

Just offered a new TE-DE and UT suddenly making hard pushes for UA targets courtesy of the new Herman staff.

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 07, 2016, 05:59:28 pm
Funny how quickly this stuff moves.

Just offered a new TE-DE and UT suddenly making hard pushes for UA targets courtesy of the new Herman staff.

Umm, we just offered a 2018 DE-TE in Donte Lang, I don't know of a 2017 offer.

gchamblee

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 05, 2016, 03:59:06 pm

or you're early in a building process

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 06:09:55 pm
Umm, we just offered a 2018 DE-TE in Donte Lang, I don't know of a 2017 offer.

Hmm, the email from a friend didn't say 2018. That changes things up...and my post probably has folks freaked on 3 different message boards and 5 so-called gooroos chasing down prospects. Fortunately, RD know a helluva lot more than I do and is chuckling to himself right now.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on December 08, 2016, 11:16:44 am
So, you want another high school guy, or a JUCO?

Depends on the juco.  I don't want a juco if he can't contribute immediately.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on December 08, 2016, 11:25:19 am
Depends on the juco.  I don't want a juco if he can't contribute immediately.

I don't see any that are interested in us, or we have any shot at. I also don't see any high school guy that is interested in us, haha.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on December 08, 2016, 11:29:45 am
I don't see any that are interested in us, or we have any shot at. I also don't see any high school guy that is interested in us, haha.

Well that's not good.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

We need OL numbers bad. We also need defense contributors. Both are a must with the last spots.

colbs

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 08, 2016, 11:34:05 am
We need OL numbers bad. We also need defense contributors. Both are a must with the last spots.
Quality numbers at that.  If Ragnow stays the OL #s should be closer to where they need to be.  They will need to probably sign 4-5 again next year.

redleg

4* CB Chevin Calloway - de-committed from Iowa, heavy lean to Arkansas.
4* DE Michael Clemons - A&M lean.
3* LB Thomas Johnston - may have to fight Auburn for him.
3* ATH Jaiden Cole - will he play RB, WR, or S?
3* LB Kyrei Fisher - will flip from Minnesota.
3* DT Javier Edwards - has de-committed from Florida, leaning Arkansas.

Extra:
ur DT Melvin Johnson - lean to Arkansas.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

WooPig90

Quote from: redleg on December 08, 2016, 01:40:37 pm

Extra:

Not sure if we passed or he did but hearing hes not gonna be a hog.

Oklahawg

Extra:

An email I received suggests Jordan Wright is holding out in case Miami offers, else he should be seen as a heavy UA lean.

Oklahawg

Quote from: colbs on December 08, 2016, 12:24:31 pm
Quality numbers at that.  If Ragnow stays the OL #s should be closer to where they need to be.  They will need to probably sign 4-5 again next year.

For 2017:

They are getting three that could play OT enrolling at mid-term. That is a nice situation. I guess if one of them winds up being a much longer-term project early on they can chase another option late? They likely have a working depth chart at this point (let's presume Skipper and Ragnow are the only possible departures).

For 2018: They will need to grab almost a complete OL. Certainly an OC is on the wish list, and UA should be able to market their OC success well: Swanson, Smothers, and Ragnow are all quality, NFL types.

Too many other needs for 2017 for me to see us grabbing another OL unless it is one that could play very soon. That said, I have wondered before if Jack Anderson, Texas Tech commit and early UA target, might not reconsider.

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 08, 2016, 02:19:37 pm
For 2017:

They are getting three that could play OT enrolling at mid-term. That is a nice situation. I guess if one of them winds up being a much longer-term project early on they can chase another option late? They likely have a working depth chart at this point (let's presume Skipper and Ragnow are the only possible departures).

For 2018: They will need to grab almost a complete OL. Certainly an OC is on the wish list, and UA should be able to market their OC success well: Swanson, Smothers, and Ragnow are all quality, NFL types.

Too many other needs for 2017 for me to see us grabbing another OL unless it is one that could play very soon. That said, I have wondered before if Jack Anderson, Texas Tech commit and early UA target, might not reconsider.

None of the three enrolling at mid-term will see the field for two years, IMO, or I hope they don't. We don't need freshmen, or redshirt freshmen playing on the OL, or we need to get guys the rate in the single digits for their positions.

Didn't Anderson's Dad go to Tech?

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on December 08, 2016, 02:22:53 pm
None of the three enrolling at mid-term will see the field for two years, IMO, or I hope they don't. We don't need freshmen, or redshirt freshmen playing on the OL, or we need to get guys the rate in the single digits for their positions.

Agreed.

Didn't Anderson's Dad go to Tech?

You may be right. It sounds familiar. Gosh, after losing some players with UA connections he'd be a nice pick-up of one with non-UA connections.

rangertaunton

Extra:
[/quote Jaiden Cole is no longer in play. Talked to the family Tuesday and they were told to explore other options. Don't know what this could mean in regards to other prospects,just know that we aren't pursuing Cole anymore unless something has changed since Tuesday
Mess with the boar,get the tusks!!!

Hollywood870

Quote from: longpig on December 07, 2016, 11:59:45 am
Could be our most promising group of newcomers ever.  Pettway,  Jones, Stewart, Boateng, Enlow, McClure, Warnock.............  I'd never heard mention of Warnock but he's apparently caught Coach Bielema's attention in practices.
Roster says Warlock is a soph. Never heard of him. Maybe he redshirted this year. Awesome name.

Oklahawg

Extra:

A finish of Calloway, Edwards, Fisher, Curl, and Wright would be more than alright with me. We may not get that many.

Interesting update in the thread on Cole. Too bad - I really like the film I've seen and assume the others we have committed or are feeling good about must be something.

ricepig

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on December 10, 2016, 12:36:31 pm
As expected, Clemons commits to aTm.

Heckuva player, but I still like the HS options and you get them for extra years.

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 10, 2016, 12:52:42 pm
Heckuva player, but I still like the HS options and you get them for extra years.

True, but we needed immediate help at DE.

tophawg19

that one hurt. i have a feeling we felt good about our chances with him
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ricepig

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 10, 2016, 04:14:28 pm
that one hurt. i have a feeling we felt good about our chances with him

Not from what I heard, they expected him to go to aTm after he get an offer from them.