Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

J'Marick Woods

Started by Richard Davenport, December 01, 2016, 03:22:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 02, 2016, 11:29:16 am
Bielema doesn't move the needle, but really the culture of mediocrity is established further up the chain. 

If there were a bigger commitment to winning at the money level, who knows what might happen in recruiting and subsequently on the field.

But money is coming in just fine, and this seems to provide the acceptable level of comfort when it comes to Razorback athletics. 

So, you're the AD, just how would you allocate this money if you had it?

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 02, 2016, 09:34:43 am
While I'm not saying I like it, it's increasingly common for these guys to do things like this for their commitment (or in this case, affirmation). The best players do it and the not-so-great ones do it.  I would be willing to bet there isn't much or a correlation due to sheer number of guys who do it now.  I'll say this, I doubt we would be complaining about it if some of these "stunts" actually went our way.....

This place would go bonkers if a commit was taking a visit elsewhere, on their radio show, then having another public commitment the following morning... Bonkers is putting it nicely. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 02, 2016, 09:31:02 am
Please clarify. I mean, isn't this a compliment?  The guy is a winner and one of the 5 best coaches in cfb.  We could use a roster full of kids that "fit Harbaugh perfectly".  Would probably mean we weren't looking at a second straight 7-5 season.
Harbaugh may be a good coach, but he's also a drama starting attention wh*re. Not very complimentary at all
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 02, 2016, 11:49:22 am
This place would go bonkers if a commit was taking a visit elsewhere, on their radio show, then having another public commitment the following morning... Bonkers is putting it nicely. 

ultimately we wouldn't care as long as a kid like this ended up a Hog.  I'm just saying it's much easier to stomach these things if you're actually winning some of these "stunts". 

hogman64

Quote from: Redhogs on December 02, 2016, 11:21:42 am
Surprised? It's the CBB way. Whiffed on every single signing day decision last signing day, pitiful.

Yes we were getting all these type guys before BB came... out of state guy,  competing against Michigan  I don't remember ever losing a guy like that before BB.

WriterWrong

I blame RD. Must've done an awful interview last night that pushed Woods to Michigan  ;) ;D ;) ;D

I kid. I kid. You do great work, sir.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Redhogs on December 02, 2016, 11:21:42 am
Surprised? It's the CBB way. Whiffed on every single signing day decision last signing day, pitiful.
Yes we whiffed on almost every kid on signing day, but almost all of those big name kids were DB's.....then a few days later we DB coach Clay Jennings "left for texass". Coincidence? Doubt It. I hope Charlie Strong is happy about the hire though, Jennings made sooooo many improvements lol
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Bubba's Bruisers

We knew this.  Moving on.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

colbs

BB has been on a lot more of these top HS recruits "finalist" list than any other Arkansas coach.  The problem is he has missed on the majority, especially the ones that announced live.  He has had few like Brian Wallace.  It's tough though when you are battling  LSU for players in Louisiana and Ohio St, Michigan, and Bama nationally.  No matter the coach you are going to lose more than you win.  If you look at the offer lists of signees over the past 4 years, it is impressive compared to previous coaches.  My main problem sometimes is BB seems to put all of his eggs in one basket and when they miss on the elite players they don't have a backup plan and are left scrambling at the last minute.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 02, 2016, 11:51:50 am
Harbaugh may be a good coach, but he's also a drama starting attention wh*re. Not very complimentary at all

While he is certainly a little eccentric, being a "Harbaugh type player" is most definitely a complement.  Bielema must agree or he wouldn't be taking half the staff to see the kid.

PorkRinds

Quote from: colbs on December 02, 2016, 12:22:33 pm
BB has been on a lot more of these top HS recruits "finalist" list than any other Arkansas coach.  The problem is he has missed on the majority, especially the ones that announced live.  He has had few like Brian Wallace.  It's tough though when you are battling  LSU for players in Louisiana and Ohio St, Michigan, and Bama nationally.  No matter the coach you are going to lose more than you win.  If you look at the offer lists of signees over the past 4 years, it is impressive compared to previous coaches.  My main problem sometimes is BB seems to put all of his eggs in one basket and when they miss on the elite players they don't have a backup plan and are left scrambling at the last minute.

I think one issue is that most kids don't like being back up plans. So any decent kid we could have as a back up plan has moved on by the time we get stood up by the elite kid.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 02, 2016, 12:24:11 pm
While he is certainly a little eccentric, being a "Harbaugh type player" is most definitely a complement.  Bielema must agree or he wouldn't be taking half the staff to see the kid.
Being a "harbaugh type player" may be a compliment, but that's not what I said

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 02, 2016, 12:02:44 pm
How much control do you think the AD has when it comes to money allocation?  Do you really think an AD (not just Long) has free reign to allocate money as he so chooses without oversight?

The appearance is that many people are content with the way things are in Arkansas' two main revenue-generating athletics programs.  There's no one in the power network with the juice and/or inclination to mandate a stronger commitment to putting a winning product on the field of play. 
I don't think it's a priority for upper management. 

I do think the stadium project is a good idea.  Improvements like that are always a good idea. 
In a way it reminds me of Petco Park here in SD... absolutely beautiful park with all the amenities you could ask for.  Makes it easier to accept the product on the field when you have multiple choices for great food and locally brewed IPAs. 
Thankfully I'm a Giants fan where the stadium is also awesome, and the current leadership is committed to competing at a high level every year. 

An AD has a lot of say how the money is spent. If he wants to make a change, he's more times than not is going to have his way. Now, he has to shake the bushes to get the money to pay off contracts, and execute other contracts, but the administration, outside of when White was here, has gone along with the AD'S wishes.

I didn't think you would answer, that's not your style.

colbs

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 02, 2016, 12:26:43 pm
I think one issue is that most kids don't like being back up plans. So any decent kid we could have as a back up plan has moved on by the time we get stood up by the elite kid.
No doubt.  Most schools in the SEC can get 15-20 kids from instate locked up then go big on the rest.  Arkansas on the other hand this year will have to go out of state for 21 players.  There is just little room for error when you have to get that many players out of state.

colbs

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 02, 2016, 11:29:16 am
Bielema doesn't move the needle, but really the culture of mediocrity is established further up the chain. 

If there were a bigger commitment to winning at the money level, who knows what might happen in recruiting and subsequently on the field.

But money is coming in just fine, and this seems to provide the acceptable level of comfort when it comes to Razorback athletics. 
What do you expect as far as recruiting?  A top 10 class? Top 15 every year?

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 02, 2016, 11:51:50 am

Took over a mess in Michigan. Year 2 fighting for playoff, he's doing something right

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: colbs on December 02, 2016, 12:22:33 pm

We said this about BP too.  How he was bringing in all this talent for visits...more than anyone before.  I don't see much difference. And We'll make the same claim about the next coach too.

Regardless, as u suggest, recruiting won't change.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 02, 2016, 12:33:11 pm
Being a "harbaugh type player" may be a compliment, but that's not what I said

semantics.  You said he "fits Harbaugh perfectly". My point was clearly made.

PorkRinds

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 02, 2016, 12:59:50 pm
semantics.  You said he "fits Harbaugh perfectly". My point was clearly made.

So was his.

SamBuckhart

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

The_Boot_stops_here

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 02, 2016, 11:56:33 am
ultimately we wouldn't care as long as a kid like this ended up a Hog.  I'm just saying it's much easier to stomach these things if you're actually winning some of these "stunts".

Can't argue with this and not sure if we have won any of the "stunts" that I remember.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on December 02, 2016, 12:50:20 pm
Took over a mess in Michigan. Year 2 fighting for playoff, he's doing something right

Yeah like canceling in games in the upcoming schedule that he won't be favored by at least 30 and not playing games outside of the state of michigan.

colbs

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 02, 2016, 02:13:02 pm
Really?  Top 15 every year? 

I would like to expect a Top 10-15 class once every 3-5 years. 
I would like to expect a Top 10-20 class every 2-4 years.
I would like to expect a Top 10-25 class every year.

I would even be fine with classes in the 30s if they needs-based interspersed with Top 20 classes to off-set them.

That's what I would like to expect since you asked.

What do you expect?  Classes like what we have currently and elite player development?

A top 10 or 15 class has never happened here.  Arkansas is usually in the 20-30 range.  I expect a class to be in the top 25 every year and hope every few years get in the top 20.  I think a top 15 class is doable ever so often but the instate class would have to be deep. 

The problem is if there are only 4-5 instate players like the last two years it's very difficult to go in other states and get 20-21 other players that will equal a top 15 class.  I'm just being realistic.  I do wish there was more emphasis in Texas and better assistant recruiters. It's not like the staff is just sitting on their butts.  I can't remember if it was last year or the year before that BB logged more miles than any coach on recruiting visits.

The formula to win at Arkansas is first have a deep instate class or be able to get enough from surrounding states and be able to develop some of the underrated/under evaluated players.

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 02, 2016, 02:14:21 pm
What's my style?

Is this your style? 

Your style, not answering a question, my style, asking you a question.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 02, 2016, 02:13:02 pm
Really?  Top 15 every year? 

I would like to expect a Top 10-15 class once every 3-5 years. 
I would like to expect a Top 10-20 class every 2-4 years.
I would like to expect a Top 10-25 class every year.

I would even be fine with classes in the 30s if they needs-based interspersed with Top 20 classes to off-set them.  The more realistic of the unrealistic expectations given the current leadership.

That's what I would like to expect since you asked.

What do you expect?  Classes like what we have currently and elite player development?

I think consistent top 25 is not unreasonable...as in 23-25.  Top 15 pretty much never.  BP got around #15 in the 2009 class, but can't think of another time we sniffed that level going back to late 90's.

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 02, 2016, 02:32:49 pm
Your style is back-handed dick-swipes.
Masquerading as questions.   

My style is pointing that out.

Lol, I think you got that backwards. So, you can't answer what you would do if you were in charge of the money, except to bitch about those who are?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 02, 2016, 10:37:54 am
Did anyone REALLY expect Bielema to win this recruiting battle? 

It's depressing.
Did anyone REALLY expect Surfing8 to not say something asinine?

It's predictable.
All Gas, No Brakes!

jjdlc

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on December 02, 2016, 12:50:20 pm

A "mess" at Michigan probably still included multiple top 10 recruiting classes on roster.

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 02, 2016, 02:46:10 pm
No, I don't think so.

I pointed out my opinion of the AD not having nearly the control of money available to athletics as you clearly seem to think.  That's an answer, just not the one you're looking for. 

Ok, who sets the $100M budgets, the accountants? The RF rubber stamps what the AD wants, I've had 4 different friends from college either past or current members, they've all said the same. Again, I asked if you were in charge of the money, not the AD, but this mystical person you say is in charge, what would you do different?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Surfing8 on December 02, 2016, 02:43:58 pm
Actually, if there were such rankings back then some of the 60s classes easily ranked Top 15.  Maybe some of the 70s classes as well. 
A lot has changed since then... limits, conferences, ease of logistics, exposure, etc.

OU found a way to maintain most of the competitive tradition they established years ago.  When things had started to become a bit stagnant, they hired a young 38yr old hotshot DC from Florida named Stoops.

Arkansas lost pretty much all of it with multiple bad leadership decisions, and faded decidedly into backwater status.  Makes the climb back to national relevance that much harder... if it will ever really happen.

I suspect OU was more entrenched in TX recruiting than we ever were. 

And yes, we ain't in the 60' and 70's anymore.  Very different era, different circumstances.  The primary one, IMO, being integration.  What a fantastic achievement that was for humanity, but it wasn't kind to our football program IMO.  I still believe it's the main reason Broyles left coaching in the mid 70's when he was still around 50ish.  Broyles is smart...the writing was on the wall.  Our access to the really elite players was dwindling.  Go take a look at the '64 team photo.  Very different time in deed.

I'm just spit-balling, of course.  Nothing to back it up.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 02, 2016, 02:52:48 pm

And yes, we ain't in the 60' and 70's anymore.  Very different era, different circumstances.  The primary one, IMO, being integration.  What a fantastic achievement that was for humanity, but it wasn't kind to our football program IMO.  I still believe it's the main reason Broyles left coaching in the mid 70's when he was still around 50ish.  Broyles is smart...the writing was on the wall.  Our access to the really elite players was dwindling.  Go take a look at the '64 team photo.  Very different time in deed.

well, being as Arkansans fought segregation in a most embarrassing manner, I'd say it served us right.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

AirWarren

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 02, 2016, 03:48:18 pm
well, being as Arkansans fought segregation in a most embarrassing manner, I'd say it served us right.

Nwa and north Arkansas is still segregated.

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on December 02, 2016, 05:48:22 pm
Nwa and north Arkansas is still segregated.

Hmm, you might ask the folks of Jonesboro about that........

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on December 02, 2016, 05:50:36 pm
Hmm, you might ask the folks of Jonesboro about that........

Fine. Non north Arkansas delta.

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on December 02, 2016, 05:51:08 pm
Fine. Non north Arkansas delta.

Probably about as segregated as Chenal, but some some might see it that way.

HogCzar1

Quote from: colbs on December 02, 2016, 12:43:54 pm
What do you expect as far as recruiting?  A top 10 class? Top 15 every year?

For a SEC school who has revenues in the top 20 schools in the country, a coach who makes 4 million a year, and much TV exposure, I expect a top 20 recruiting class every year. Top 10. No. Top 20. Yes.

greenie

Just off the top of my head, here's 15 schools that we will rarely (if ever) out recruit:
Alabama, Auburn, aTm, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas, Clemson, Florida State, Miami, and Southern Cal.  We'd have to out recruit at least six of these to be in the top 10.  Not likely.

To get in the top 20 also probably requires special circumstances too...like having a miracle season (i.e. Miss State did a few years ago), landing an in-state 5 star (i.e. McFadden), or cheating like crazy (i.e. Ole Miss).

Muskliketusk

Quote from: greenie on December 02, 2016, 07:21:11 pm
Just off the top of my head, here's 15 schools that we will rarely (if ever) out recruit:
Alabama, Auburn, aTm, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas, Clemson, Florida State, Miami, and Southern Cal.  We'd have to out recruit at least six of these to be in the top 10.  Not likely.

To get in the top 20 also probably requires special circumstances too...like having a miracle season (i.e. Miss State did a few years ago), landing an in-state 5 star (i.e. McFadden), or cheating like crazy (i.e. Ole Miss).
Add Notre Lame and Texas Aggie.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

PorkRinds

Quote from: greenie on December 02, 2016, 07:21:11 pm

We've beaten almost all of those out of recruits in the last few years.

Oklahawg

Enough. You've been warned. You'll be kicked off the island if it happens again.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 02, 2016, 02:52:48 pm

Barry Switzer backs it up. OU integrated before others and it gave OU a free pass into much of Texas. They built relationships for decades before integration hit some other schools. They were early masters of payola.

Switzer was on TV here in OK years ago, but the subject came up. Might be in his book, but I don't remember. He said that he and his staff would go into podunk little downs in rural TX and have the old geezers in the coffee shops greet them and remember conversations with OU coaches/boosters from decades before (back into the Bud W era). That is a recruiting advantage that is hard to overcome.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

greenie

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 02, 2016, 08:11:52 pm
We've beaten almost all of those out of recruits in the last few years.

Yes we have.  I'm just saying that to expect a top 10, or even a top 20 class, on a regular basis is not realistic.  Sure, we'll get the occasional Bumper Pool or Alex Collins from out of state, but it's not common, and we certainly don't do it enough to make those top grades.  I'm very happy with CBB's recruiting.  I think he works very hard at it and does his best to promote the Razorback brand.  I can't think of many coaches out there, that we would have a shot at getting, that I believe would do a better job recruiting to Arkansas.  I'm less impressed with what I saw on the field this year than any of his previous years.  I just can't criticize his recruiting.

LJHOG

Quote from: greenie on December 02, 2016, 10:46:48 pm
Yes we have.  I'm just saying that to expect a top 10, or even a top 20 class, on a regular basis is not realistic.
Then it IS realistic to expect to see 8 - 4 and sub .500 conference seasons for as long as we stay in the SEC.
Did J'Marick visit??  Did he not see the new car with the brown bag on the seat in his parking spot?
Oh that's right.  Tennessee wins the Trophy of Life and we win the Trophy of Integrity.  Woo Pig!

ricepig

Quote from: LJHOG on December 03, 2016, 08:47:32 am
Then it IS realistic to expect to see 8 - 4 and sub .500 conference seasons for as long as we stay in the SEC.
Did J'Marick visit??  Did he not see the new car with the brown bag on the seat in his parking spot?
Oh that's right.  Tennessee wins the Trophy of Life and we win the Trophy of Integrity.  Woo Pig!

You mean you didn't have it there for him? How can he expect to see it if you don't deliver on your end?

PorkRinds

Quote from: LJHOG on December 03, 2016, 08:47:32 am

How dare we not hand out new cars and bags of cash?

Biggus Piggus

I want to know how you execute a backhanded dick-swipe. I didn't know there was a backhand vs. forehand choice involved. Is this related to a dick-slap? Is it a kind of shake, to dispense with residual fluid waste? Or is it an attempt to throw off that last gob of semen?
[CENSORED]!

MS_HogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 09, 2016, 12:41:29 pm
I want to know how you execute a backhanded dick-swipe. I didn't know there was a backhand vs. forehand choice involved. Is this related to a dick-slap? Is it a kind of shake, to dispense with residual fluid waste? Or is it an attempt to throw off that last gob of semen?

You nasty
SOOIE

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 09, 2016, 12:41:29 pm

Hey I want to know also....sounds a little kinky to me!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Nosboar Accubond

This thread needs trashed