Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Leader Has Emerged In The O-Line Room

Started by The NewEra, February 08, 2018, 08:25:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The NewEra

I expected this from Froholdt, but I'm extremely pleased to hear it has.  That's high praise from Coach Fry!

DeltaBoy

Great we need it , I want to see mean and nasty. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MuskogeeHogFan

Good stuff. Buy-in, hard work, Fry says we have talent on the O-Line, the cupboard isn't bare. Let's see what he can do with what he has to work with. Good to hear that Froholdt has taken on the leadership role left by the departure of Ragnow. "Froholdt's a Stud"? I guess he hasn't consulted with the Hogville experts. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 08, 2018, 08:26:59 am
Great we need it , I want to see mean and nasty.

I agree......I know the video clips of our new O-Line recruits sure show some guys with a mean and nasty attitude.  I hope the group currently in the room can develop more of it.

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 08, 2018, 08:35:46 am
Good stuff. Buy-in, hard work, Fry says we have talent on the O-Line, the cupboard isn't bare. Let's see what he can do with what he has to work with. Good to hear that Froholdt has taken on the leadership role left by the departure of Ragnow. "Froholdt's a Stud"? I guess he hasn't consulted with the Hogville experts. ;)

LOL

Hog Fan...DOH!

I guess he hasn't consulted with the Hogville experts. ;)

Well see, he never played offense before ole Bielema.  Then Bielema made the terrible decision to start him.  Then he was caught on camera missing a few blocks two years ago, then he missed a couple last year... so that means he's terrible.  He's one of the highest rated guards in the country, but he's still terrible cuz my "eyes" tell me everything I need to know. I saw those missed blocks.  He'll be terrible even though he gets drafted, then terrible once he's on an NFL roster.  And even when he's starting, he'll still be terrible because don't you remember those missed blocks when he was here?  Terrible. 

hawgon

Man, that guy is articulate and sounds squared away.  No excuses.  Realistic, yet positive.

As for Frohodlt, he was terrible.  He was played way too soon and didn't have a clue in that first year.  Now, though that harmed the team to some extent over the last two years, we now get to benefit from his trial by fire and hopefully, he is something special this year.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: hawgon on February 08, 2018, 09:16:48 am
Man, that guy is articulate and sounds squared away.  No excuses.  Realistic, yet positive.

As for Frohodlt, he was terrible.  He was played way too soon and didn't have a clue in that first year.  Now, though that harmed the team to some extent over the last two years, we now get to benefit from his trial by fire and hopefully, he is something special this year.

Nope, if you're terrible once, you're terrible forever.

Tim Harris

Hopefully we can have the same thing happen with all the other position groups.  For us to have success next year it is going to require a lot of players buying in to a completely new way of doing things.  Having some of the returning leaders of the team buy in so quickly will help with that process.

wildhogman

Quote from: hawgon on February 08, 2018, 09:16:48 am

As for Frohodlt, he was terrible.  He was played way too soon and didn’t have a clue in that first year.  Now, though that harmed the team to some extent over the last two years, we now get to benefit from his trial by fire and hopefully, he is something special this year.
Yeah one of the experts of hogvile right here. Next post is right, in your eyes He could have zero sacks allowed, 95 pancake blocks, even pick up a fumble and advance it for a desperately needed first down against a team like bama. but all you will se is "any" block he might happen to miss because we all know a true O-lineman doesn't miss any blocks.

wildhogman

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 08, 2018, 09:25:35 am
Hopefully we can have the same thing happen with all the other position groups.  For us to have success next year it is going to require a lot of players buying in to a completely new way of doing things.  Having some of the returning leaders of the team buy in so quickly will help with that process.
Might be they are buying in quickly because they know this guy created the offense that Clemson stil uses.  For the first time in years they see a plan and it makes sense.  But the measure of our leaders will be when something goes terribly wrong. Will they help keep control and get right back in the fight, or pull a 2017?  Time will tell but my hope is they become the rabid razorbacks of old fining ways to win where none existed.

hawgon

Quote from: wildhogman on February 08, 2018, 09:27:41 am
Yeah one of the experts of hogvile right here. Next post is right, in your eyes He could have zero sacks allowed, 95 pancake blocks, even pick up a fumble and advance it for a desperately needed first down against a team like bama. but all you will se is "any" block he might happen to miss because we all know a true O-lineman doesn't miss any blocks.

Listen, I have never seen an offensive lineman miss more blocks that he did.  He didn't miss them because of lack of talent.  He missed them because he didn't have a clue as to what he was doing and just totally whiffed by going the wrong way or what have you.  Say what you want but it is the truth.

The good news is that his problems were mostly mental and those can be fixed.  Sometimes when a player "gets it" they are a different player overnight.  If he is as motivated as it is reported and he gets quality coaching, it is likely to be like night and day with him.

arthurhawgerelli

Just getting them down to a weight where they can move, and still block in the 4th quarter will make us look like a completely different team.  The previous line coach has no business coaching football at any level.  He seems to be a very good ole boy, but he couldn't teach a bird to fly.

The NewEra

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on February 08, 2018, 09:33:58 am
Just getting them down to a weight where they can move, and still block in the 4th quarter will make us look like a completely different team.  The previous line coach has no business coaching football at any level.  He seems to be a very good ole boy, but he couldn't teach a bird to fly.

+1 solely on the great "bird to fly" analogy. 

Hoggish1

GringoHog

"There are Lions, Tigers and Bears ,but there ain't but one Razorback!" - HDN The Great

Inhogswetrust

Good stuff. Buy-in, hard work, Fry says we have talent on the O-Line, the cupboard isn't bare. Let's see what he can do with what he has to work with. Good to hear that Froholdt has taken on the leadership role left by the departure of Ragnow. "Froholdt's a Stud"? I guess he hasn't consulted with the Hogville experts.

If he consulted with Hogville experts he'd be suicidal.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jgphillips3

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 08, 2018, 10:36:56 am
If he consulted with Hogville experts he'd be suicidal.

More like schizophrenic than suicidal...but yeah...

HognotinMemphis

Need someone to take over Dan Tripper's leadership role.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on February 08, 2018, 08:55:07 am
Well see, he never played offense before ole Bielema.  Then Bielema made the terrible decision to start him.  Then he was caught on camera missing a few blocks two years ago, then he missed a couple last year... so that means he's terrible.  He's one of the highest rated guards in the country, but he's still terrible cuz my "eyes" tell me everything I need to know. I saw those missed blocks.  He'll be terrible even though he gets drafted, then terrible once he's on an NFL roster.  And even when he's starting, he'll still be terrible because don't you remember those missed blocks when he was here?  Terrible. 

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on February 08, 2018, 09:22:24 am
Nope, if you're terrible once, you're terrible forever.

The first time I was amused. The second time I lol'd. You really nailed the wanton dumbassery that this place is sometimes aflush with... +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

twistitup

February 08, 2018, 12:54:58 pm #20 Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 01:14:02 pm by twistitup
#danishdestroyer

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

East TN HAWG

We lost the Ragnow and Rogers.  I know coach Fry said we had centers on the roster.  Who are they(Clenin)?  Would it make sense to move Froholt to center?  He is now one of our most experienced guys, and that is who you want making the calls?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: East TN HAWG on February 08, 2018, 01:11:47 pm
We lost the Ragnow and Rogers.  I know coach Fry said we had centers on the roster.  Who are they(Clenin)?  Would it make sense to move Froholt to center?  He is now one of our most experienced guys, and that is who you want making the calls?

The question is, who has the "smarts" to be able to make/change the right line calls at the LOS and who has sufficient lateral mobility to execute that position? None of them know Morris' offense as well as they need to, so they will be learning together. Not everyone makes a really good Center. My guess ( and maybe FOTH can speak more accurately to this) is that they pull Dylan Hays back over from Defense and work with he and Clary at that position.
Go Hogs Go!

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 08, 2018, 11:40:51 am
Need someone to take over Dan Tripper's leadership role.

Nailed it.  Dan had that stupid penalty against aTm when he was a sophomore.  Terrible.  Oh sure, he was later 1st Team All SEC, made an All American team, then made the Lions active roster as a pro.  But he was ter-rib-ble 

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on February 08, 2018, 08:55:07 am

Have you ever played football?  We had plays where I, as left tackle, had to get across the to block the left side linebacker.  It looked like I was missing my block but I blocked whom the play called for. Coach was happy.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

jgphillips3

Froholdt should have been allowed to redshirt in what was his first year playing offensive line and learn the position.  The coaches put him in a bad spot.  He's a good athlete though and, this year in a better scheme, I think we'll see him blossom. 

liljo

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 08, 2018, 02:57:35 pm
Froholdt should have been allowed to redshirt in what was his first year playing offensive line and learn the position.  The coaches put him in a bad spot.  He's a good athlete though and, this year in a better scheme, I think we'll see him blossom.

I do too. This kid was absolutely thrown to the wolves. Now he's a werewolf. I expect we are going to see several more Hogs grow big teeth between now and late August.

I am pullin' for 'em and have even started my own workout regiment, just so I can physically root for 'em harder!
WPS!
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on February 08, 2018, 01:57:21 pm
Have you ever played football?  We had plays where I, as left tackle, had to get across the to block the left side linebacker.  It looked like I was missing my block but I blocked whom the play called for. Coach was happy.

I think he was being sarcastic in that post.
Go Hogs Go!

Hog Fan...DOH!

Terrible

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on February 08, 2018, 01:45:57 pm
Nailed it.  Dan had that stupid penalty against aTm when he was a sophomore.  Terrible.  Oh sure, he was later 1st Team All SEC, made an All American team, then made the Lions active roster as a pro.  But he was ter-rib-ble
Mrs. Tripper?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Arkansas Fan

Froholdt did miss a lot of blocks, though. Badly.

Flrazrback

Can't base too much off last year's performance. Let Coach Fry work a little with these guys. We will see a BIG improvement. Having players that can move and be agile will be HUGE

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on February 08, 2018, 06:17:55 pm
Froholdt did miss a lot of blocks, though. Badly.

He executed a lot of blocks really well too and he is one guy that you could always count on being downfield always trying to pick up another block. This is often overlooked.
Go Hogs Go!

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 08, 2018, 02:57:35 pm

Bingo you are right on the money

factchecker

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 08, 2018, 06:31:57 pm
He executed a lot of blocks really well too and he is one guy that you could always count on being downfield always trying to pick up another block. This is often overlooked.

Danish Destroyer:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

SooieGeneris

Quote from: hawgon on February 08, 2018, 09:32:38 am
Listen, I have never seen an offensive lineman miss more blocks that he did.  He didn't miss them because of lack of talent.  He missed them because he didn't have a clue as to what he was doing and just totally whiffed by going the wrong way or what have you.  Say what you want but it is the truth.

The good news is that his problems were mostly mental and those can be fixed.  Sometimes when a player "gets it" they are a different player overnight.  If he is as motivated as it is reported and he gets quality coaching, it is likely to be like night and day with him.

Tell that Ole Mess defender how terrible Froholdt has been, provided he has been scraped off the field turf by now..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Hogindasticks

razorbacker3

Quote from: hawgon on February 08, 2018, 09:32:38 am
Listen, I have never seen an offensive lineman miss more blocks that he did.  He didn’t miss them because of lack of talent.  He missed them because he didn’t have a clue as to what he was doing and just totally whiffed by going the wrong way or what have you.  Say what you want but it is the truth.

The good news is that his problems were mostly mental and those can be fixed.  Sometimes when a player “gets it” they are a different player overnight.  If he is as motivated as it is reported and he gets quality coaching, it is likely to be like night and day with him.
Glad you not a talent scout or OL recruiter. He graded out 2nd highest on the team last year and has been the strongest one-on-one blocker since he was moved to the OL.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: razorbacker3 on February 08, 2018, 09:42:46 pm
Glad you not a talent scout or OL recruiter. He graded out 2nd highest on the team last year and has been the strongest one-on-one blocker since he was moved to the OL.
but but but HiM said he sucked tho!

These people are ridiculous. Froholdt is going to be an All American.

This reminds me of when I said BA was going to get drafted (sometime before his junior year) and folks on here lost their minds.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

HogFoo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 08, 2018, 01:29:06 pm
The question is, who has the "smarts" to be able to make/change the right line calls at the LOS and who has sufficient lateral mobility to execute that position? None of them know Morris' offense as well as they need to, so they will be learning together. Not everyone makes a really good Center. My guess ( and maybe FOTH can speak more accurately to this) is that they pull Dylan Hays back over from Defense and work with he and Clary at that position.
I agree with that.   Here's my deal though.  I feel like we had talent.  And from what I had heard about Anderson, he wasn't playing the best guys anyways.  He had held an ignorant grudge against a few of them because they made a silly joke about his weight.  And he being the big baby and suck coach that he was, didn't play them because of that.  That story came straight from a players dad btw.    With that said, I think we'll be alright.  biggest thing will be getting the guys in shape.  Froholdt was much better last season than the previous.  I figure he'll take another step forward this season especially with a decent OL coach teaching him for a change.  I figure some of the other guys we had like merrick, Wallace, Gibson, etc..  I think our whole OL will be much better... very much improved.. as stated because we have a good OL coach teaching them.  anyways.  yes, we need more depth, and I think we'll get more quality depth.  but, we have talent on the team.  I totally agree with coach fry.   
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

The NewEra

Quote from: HogFoo on February 09, 2018, 01:00:21 am
I agree with that.   Here's my deal though.  I feel like we had talent.  And from what I had heard about Anderson, he wasn't playing the best guys anyways.  He had held an ignorant grudge against a few of them because they made a silly joke about his weight.  And he being the big baby and suck coach that he was, didn't play them because of that.  That story came straight from a players dad btw.    With that said, I think we'll be alright.  biggest thing will be getting the guys in shape.  Froholdt was much better last season than the previous.  I figure he'll take another step forward this season especially with a decent OL coach teaching him for a change.  I figure some of the other guys we had like merrick, Wallace, Gibson, etc..  I think our whole OL will be much better... very much improved.. as stated because we have a good OL coach teaching them.  anyways.  yes, we need more depth, and I think we'll get more quality depth.  but, we have talent on the team.  I totally agree with coach fry.

It is going to be fun to watch and I predict we will have a very solid performance from the O-Line this year.  One of the things I think we will start hearing early on next season is "this is the most improved offensive line in football".  How poorly last year's line was coached and managed last year will be a topic often discussed.

hawgon

Quote from: SooieGeneris on February 08, 2018, 09:19:59 pm
Tell that Ole Mess defender how terrible Froholdt has been, provided he has been scraped off the field turf by now..

And Froholdt's misses probably took ten years off of AA's life.  The kid was objectively terrible in pass blocking.  He had a lot of complete misses.  Now, plays like that one show the potential and his motor.  If he gets adequate coaching and continues to improve, he will be great.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: The NewEra on February 09, 2018, 09:15:06 am
It is going to be fun to watch and I predict we will have a very solid performance from the O-Line this year.  One of the things I think we will start hearing early on next season is "this is the most improved offensive line in football".  How poorly last year's line was coached and managed last year will be a topic often discussed.
Cant get much worse than a 4-8 team that was damn lucky to win over Ole Miss. Should have been 3-9 and 0-8. No where to go but up in every phase of game from Bielema led team. He was terrible as a program manager and head coach. Guess he got fat and happy with all of the money he made. Problem was, he was not paid to be content with bottom of the SEC.

code red

Quote from: hawgon on February 09, 2018, 09:36:58 am
And Froholdt's misses probably took ten years off of AA's life.  The kid was objectively terrible in pass blocking.  He had a lot of complete misses.  Now, plays like that one show the potential and his motor.  If he gets adequate coaching and continues to improve, he will be great.
Agreed like the kid.....gonna have to show me.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

aloha_kid

Good to hear that Froholdt has taken on the leadership role left by the departure of Ragnow.

Was Ragnow really a good leader?  Seemed the O-line really didn't miss much when he got injured.  Ragnow was a great player, but not sure he was a good leader.

oldfart

February 09, 2018, 06:54:28 pm #45 Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 05:56:27 pm by oldfart
i know that froholdt made some great blocks but i watched time after time in a blitz situation where both defenders went by because he was frozen in place

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: aloha_kid on February 09, 2018, 02:28:50 pm
Was Ragnow really a good leader?  Seemed the O-line really didn't miss much when he got injured.  Ragnow was a great player, but not sure he was a good leader.

Boy, that's sure I would be saying with the young man headed out of the program and apparently well thought of by NFL Analysts. Everyone inside the program indicated that he was a great leader of that group.
Go Hogs Go!

factchecker

Quote from: aloha_kid on February 09, 2018, 02:28:50 pm

He was an great leader.  He was still there even when he was injured.

Ragnow is going to make money as center but I would have loved to see him at left tackle.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS