Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Theory on Stan's Coaching Strategy

Started by Pignominious, March 02, 2006, 05:50:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pignominious

I was at the game last night and at several points during the game we looked like one of Nolan's old teams.  MSU would hit a three and we'd come speeding into the lane for a missed layup.  MSU misses a shot we rebound, and hear comes a long clearout pass to Brewer.  I think that for a while when we were pooring it on during the first 6 or 7 minutes of the half we caught a glimpse of where Stan wants to take us.  He wants to turn us into a team that is always on a controlled fast break (see Uconn, Memphis).  When we crashed the boards last night we looked like a really good team.  Last night we ran more than we usually do and we had 18 assists to 8 to's.  So in the future to run this controlled break we need a solid point guard that can get in the lane and create offense.  Gary Ervin or Sean McCurdy, check.  We need a group of strong rebounding defensive minded big guys.  We're getting there on that one, we need to seel of the defensive glass beter, but we should be there by this time next year.  We will need athletic wings who can run the court, finish, and hit the 3.  Weems fits all those, if Ronnie comes back he will be a Wooden award finalist.  Throw in a possible Ramar Smith, or Patrick Beverly and Stefan Welsh and I think we have filled this one.  Check.  So in conclusion I think Heath wants an athletic team that runs in 5th gear all the time.  We have had to slow down so much this year because we haven't been very steady at the point until about 3 games ago.  Slow play is the reason we have 6 conference  losses, ie allowing Ole miss to play their style on the their home court.  So I think we will be good next year.  How good depends on if we continue to pound the Defensive glass and find stability at the point, everything else will work itself out.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

razorbackfan4life

Gary Ervin will solve all of that.  Do you remember watching him play...he was fast as hell, and could handle the ball very well.

tophawg19

gary is kind of like kareem reid out of control at times . sometimes you say [how the hell did he do that , other times it's why the hell did he do that ] . i'm wondering if he can play within the system instead of freelancing .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Pignominious

I think he will have more freedom in our system than he ever will in MSU's.

hogtheball

Quote from: BearclawHogs44 on March 02, 2006, 05:50:55 pm
I was at the game last night and at several points during the game we looked like one of Nolan's old teams.  MSU would hit a three and we'd come speeding into the lane for a missed layup.  MSU misses a shot we rebound, and hear comes a long clearout pass to Brewer.  I think that for a while when we were pooring it on during the first 6 or 7 minutes of the half we caught a glimpse of where Stan wants to take us.  He wants to turn us into a team that is always on a controlled fast break (see Uconn, Memphis).  When we crashed the boards last night we looked like a really good team.  Last night we ran more than we usually do and we had 18 assists to 8 to's.  So in the future to run this controlled break we need a solid point guard that can get in the lane and create offense.  Gary Ervin or Sean McCurdy, check.  We need a group of strong rebounding defensive minded big guys.  We're getting there on that one, we need to seel of the defensive glass beter, but we should be there by this time next year.  We will need athletic wings who can run the court, finish, and hit the 3.  Weems fits all those, if Ronnie comes back he will be a Wooden award finalist.  Throw in a possible Ramar Smith, or Patrick Beverly and Stefan Welsh and I think we have filled this one.  Check.  So in conclusion I think Heath wants an athletic team that runs in 5th gear all the time.  We have had to slow down so much this year because we haven't been very steady at the point until about 3 games ago.  Slow play is the reason we have 6 conference  losses, ie allowing Ole miss to play their style on the their home court.  So I think we will be good next year.  How good depends on if we continue to pound the Defensive glass and find stability at the point, everything else will work itself out.

I like where we're going, too, but I don't see us running many offensive or defensive sets that resemble Nolan's.  That's fine with me, but why refer to Nolan's scheme when it was totally different.  We do run a full-court trap that is somewhat similar to Nolan's, but only somewhat. 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hogfancb

I finally feel like Stan has turned the corner.  For this I must eat crow.

hogtheball

Quote from: hogfancb on March 02, 2006, 06:03:23 pm
I finally feel like Stan has turned the corner.  For this I must eat crow.

It takes a man to eat bird.  Three more posts and you'll be a senior.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Pignominious

Quote from: hogtheball on March 02, 2006, 06:00:32 pmI like where we're going, too, but I don't see us running many offensive or defensive sets that resemble Nolan's.  That's fine with me, but why refer to Nolan's scheme when it was totally different.  We do run a full-court trap that is somewhat similar to Nolan's, but only somewhat. 

I don't think we'd be as perimeter orriented like Nolan's teams.  I think Stan wants us to be like Uconn.

Richard_white

March 02, 2006, 06:52:31 pm #8 Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 06:58:25 pm by razorbacks4life27
Quote from: BearclawHogs44 on March 02, 2006, 05:50:55 pm

I'm not sure if I am understanding you but yeah Arkansas will need some help in the PG next year.  McCurdy hopefully will be the PG, Ervin will more likely be a 2 guard.  Stan's biggest concearn for next year is working with the new recruits (Washington, Weems ect).

WPS

HOGLIGULA

weems and brewer will have the bulk of the minutes next year and probably points.  And the point will be a rotation like this year, with McCurdy and Ervin sharing time.  It would be nice to see a ten man rotation next year with no drop off
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

HogFansReunited

I really wish Hill had softer hands so he could catch the ball when they throw it in to him.  All he would have to do it catch the ball and put it in.  This would really help in a fast break offence.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Richard_white

Quote from: FireNutt on March 02, 2006, 07:12:33 pm
I really wish Hill had softer hands so he could catch the ball when they throw it in to him.  All he would have to do it catch the ball and put it in.  This would really help in a fast break offence.

That would be called Baskeball 101

WPS

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I agree for the most part with this thread....What drives me crazy is that McCurdy's "next year" should start from here on out.  We don't have a better PG, he gives us the best chance. 

When we get beat the first or second game into the NCAA's, it will be because of poor PG play.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Richard_white

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on March 02, 2006, 07:23:09 pm
I agree for the most part with this thread....What drives me crazy is that McCurdy's "next year" should start from here on out.  We don't have a better PG, he gives us the best chance. 

When we get beat the first or second game into the NCAA's, it will be because of poor PG play.

Do we really have another true PG except for McCurdy?  Except for Ervin (who I believe is a 2 guard) there is nobody else except for Brewer but we would waste Brewer if we put him as a PG.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on March 02, 2006, 07:13:40 pm

That would be called Baskeball 101

WPS

Well if you are not used to getting the basketabll on the offensive end of the floor you probably don't expect passes to come to you.  Hill is a great player with offensive potential and anyone who thinks otherwise is a complete moron
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

wrightobe

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on March 02, 2006, 07:13:40 pm
If Hill could develop a turn around jump shop, or soft touch half hook, or bank shot, which he certainly is capable of doing, because he is very athletic and agile for his size, he would be the complete player, but if I were to choose between points, and blocked shots, and rebounds, as to points scored, for him, I would choose the defense with emphasis on timed shot blocking and strong rebounding.

Quote from: Bogarto on March 02, 2006, 07:31:28 pm

It seems to have worked very well running Brewer and Ferguson at the PG position. I think it would be very foolish at this point to switch it to McCurdy.
Brewer yes.  But bring in McCurdy to get Brewer some shots.  Ferguson hurts us more than he helps us.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

hogtheball

March 02, 2006, 07:43:26 pm #17 Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 08:48:32 pm by hogtheball
Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on March 02, 2006, 07:33:21 pm

Do we really have another true PG except for McCurdy?  Except for Ervin (who I believe is a 2 guard) there is nobody else except for Brewer but we would waste Brewer if we put him as a PG.

Ervin is a point guard - he is the last guy we want playing the 2 guard.  He shoots 23% from the 3-point line and only 38% from the field. But, he is fast and has handles.  McCurdy was a combo guard in high school playing the 1 and the 2.

wrightobe

How do you feel emotionally, by the law of averages they will sometimes, when your predictions of drastic results or defeat for the Razorback teams come true?  Very High, or Very Low?

Quote from: wrightobe on March 02, 2006, 08:04:09 pm

How do you feel emotionally, by the law of averages they will sometimes, when your predictions of drastic results or defeat for the Razorback teams come true?  Very High, or Very Low?
It sucks.  But how I "feel" emotionally doesn't change the truth.  I promise you this, it is better than being a sunshine pumper fan living in a dream world, hoping by some chance we might get lucky.

This board is representative of the # of fans who are sick and tired of just "hoping" we will be good, and being content with mediocrity.  THANK GOD things are changing and more and more people are FACING REALITY. 

Try being objective sometime.  It is VERY liberating.

Richard_white

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on March 02, 2006, 08:19:21 pm

It sucks.  But how I "feel" emotionally doesn't change the truth.  I promise you this, it is better than being a sunshine pumper fan living in a dream world, hoping by some chance we might get lucky.

This board is representative of the # of fans who are sick and tired of just "hoping" we will be good, and being content with mediocrity.  THANK GOD things are changing and more and more people are FACING REALITY. 

LOL  I been asking for people to be objective ever since I got on here

wrightobe

With due respect and objectivity in mind, How has your predictions been up to this point concerning the basketball team as to the whole season, and especially the last four games?

Quote from: wrightobe on March 02, 2006, 08:28:26 pm

With due respect and objectivity in mind, How has your predictions been up to this point concerning the basketball team as to the whole season, and especially the last four games?
I predicted our guard play would suck as long as DJ and Ferguson were in there.  And guess what?  I was right. 

What were yours?  That we would win the NCAA Tournament?

wrightobe

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on March 02, 2006, 08:33:24 pm
Quote from: wrightobe on March 02, 2006, 08:28:26 pm

I predicted our guard play would suck as long as DJ and Ferguson were in there.  And guess what?  I was right. 

What were yours?  That we would win the NCAA Tournament?
No, not to win the NCAA, but that we might make to the NCAA, and then play good enough overall, to win the next 5 games in the tournament.  I have heard some TV announcers (state, objectively, I assume) that is was a doable thing, with the way Arkansas is playing, guard play and all. I t would be great to win the NCAA!!!!! GO RAZORBACKS, AND LET THE SUNSHINE IN.  We gone.  Do not want to argue with other Razorback fans.  Sometimes, we want to know what makes us all tick.

Richard_white

QuoteAND LET THE SUNSHINE IN.

I can't believe you admit to that

Pignominious

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on March 02, 2006, 06:52:31 pm
I'm not sure if I am understanding you but yeah Arkansas will need some help in the PG next year.  McCurdy hopefully will be the PG, Ervin will more likely be a 2 guard.  Stan's biggest concearn for next year is working with the new recruits (Washington, Weems ect).

WPS

What I was saying is that Stan wants us to look like Memphis and how they have played this year.  Very effective in the half-court offense, great in the open court, good rebounding.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 02, 2006, 05:57:52 pm
gary is kind of like kareem reid out of control at times . sometimes you say [how the hell did he do that , other times it's why the hell did he do that ] . i'm wondering if he can play within the system instead of freelancing .

This is a great observation.  I remember Gary being like this, but not quite as bad.  I thought Kareem was bad because he thought he had no help offensively.  I wonder if Gary will feel that pressure.

Bacon out...

hogtheball

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on March 02, 2006, 09:41:15 pm
Quote from: tophawg19 on March 02, 2006, 05:57:52 pm

This is a great observation.  I remember Gary being like this, but not quite as bad.  I thought Kareem was bad because he thought he had no help offensively.  I wonder if Gary will feel that pressure.

Bacon out...

Yea, I remember Kareem thinking he had no help on offense, while Pat Bradley would be standing all alone at the 3-pt. line.  Used to drive me crazy.  KR had a lot of assists, but he missed a lot more.

freedomcounty

gary Ervin sure looked better than I remember Kareem Weed looking.

tulsahog36

In todays paper Stan said his team is playing to improve their seed.    He feels they are in.   If Arkansas should lose this game and then go out in the first round of the sect, would they be back on the fence??

hogsrule44

They would be back on the bubble, but i still think that they would get in.

Lokirain

20 and you are in (in the big conferences) We are going dancing no matter what, but I am not content with just 20, let's do some damage in the SEC Tournament.

HogJoeHelm

If we win Sunday, and win 2 in the tourney (which is possible), then I think we are a number 5 seed.  Mark it down, baby!

freedomcounty

I think if we win at Georgia the confidence we take into the SECT will make us real dangerous. After that, I think it could be a win win situation. We could win the SEC tournament and go in on a big roll, or lose after making some noise in the SECT and enter the NCAAT with new drive and focus (Kind of like we did in 94

Whatever we are seeded in the NCAAT, the team we face won't be pleased.

:razorback:

HoopS

I agree that we are in.

I honestly think that it would not only take someone like... say Vandy winning the SEC but others like.... TTech winning the Big 12 or a Georgia Tech winning the ACC tournament.   And teams like Gonzaga and the Georges, Mason and Washington, respectively, losing their tourneys before we would be bumped.   I disagree that there is an absolute # of teams that the SEC will get in.  We will most likely get 6 but if the unlikely happens, we could sneak 7 in with a Vandy winning the tourney and Arkansas, Bama and Kentucky still having done enough late to influence the committee.

As stated last night, I can't remember the last time an SEC team won 20 games and had a winning conference record and was not included in the big dance. 

I think we are firmly in and could slip to as low as a 12 seed in the event that all of the aforementioned things happened, but most likely will be between 7-10. 

IMHO

hogfan064

I want to hear Heath say right now we're playing for a high seed so we can make a run at the national championship.  Give the players confidence that they can achieve such a feat.

othermac

i dont think heath needs to be assuming we are in the tournament, the coach cant take anything for granted. if he is he is acting like a novice. there is still lots of basketball left, what happens if we get several at large bids taken up by upset tourney winners, and we lose at georgia, then the 1st round game, we will be playing in the nit.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

PiggoBitttys

Someone posted a few weeks ago, only one team in the last 10 years has had a winning SEC record and not made the dance(UT 2003 went 9-7, and a couple 8-8 teams got in ahead of them due to RPI, SOS, etc).

I'm quite sure we're in, but we need several victories now to setup for a run in the Dance. We need to get atleast a 7 seed IMO. 6 or higher would be ideal.

HoopS

well, I agree othermac that we certainly don't need to look too far ahead. 

I have taken the stance that we are in unless some major upsets happen.  But, I will agree that winning Sunday and having a good showing is important. 

Seriously, can you imagine a 20 win SEC team with a winning conference record being left out for George Mason whose best win was Creighton or Wich State?   

Lets just win and don't give them a chance to screw us.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: hoophogs on March 03, 2006, 09:16:00 am
Lets just win

Yes.  Personally, I'd like us to go undefeated for the rest of the year.  ;) 8) :razorback:

Hogules

I think Ark will be the darkhorse team that surprises everyone inthe tournament