Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

STAN, IT IS TIME TO START MCCURDY

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, February 22, 2006, 12:17:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: fineswine on February 22, 2006, 03:45:59 pm
The first moment he comes into the game, the same thing happens...he gets beat off the dribble and fouls the guy.  He hasn't shown that he can guard anyone.

Watch the game or at least read the whole thread.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

fineswine

Notshavin- I have watched every game (ticket holder).  I have read the thread.  I always find your perspective to be close to how I feel whether it be football or basketball.  McCurdy is really the only difference in opinion I have with you.  I'm not looking to be argumentive, I just don't think the kid is division 1 talent.  It is not relevant what other schools recruited him, what is relevant is whether or not he is "up to speed".  He is a better option the Dontell, but Ferguson is a better option than both.  At this stage in his career, this is how I view it.  It is not an attack on anyone's ability to guage talent.

TDHog

This board is amazing, it seems like what ever happened last is the flavor of the day.  So now Feg is the answer hugh?  Because he hit a very crucial 3, well the 3 times that he walked up and shot and missed without so much as a pass was just as much of a turnover (as one poster claimed about McCurdy's miss) and probably cost us points.  I have no problem with Ferg but if we have to rely on him we are in trouble he is way too steaky and out of control for PG.  For the absurd comment that McCurdy is not D-1 material, you do not come into a game against Alabama, one of the more athletic teams, on dish out 5 assists to only one TO (and is was questioalbe call at that) as a freshman if you are not D-1 material.  His assists were not just the pass to a guy for a three, they were good passes inside and 2 good transition passes.  Yes Steele got passed him ONCE and McCurdy fouled him, but McCurdy also stayed with him once and forced a jumper rather than a layup (he misses Brewer rebounds out to Sean who has an asist on the other end), plus he redirected Steele's shot and Brewer subsequently  stole the desperation pass.  I thought Ferg played very well on D, but before we proclaim him the next "Glove" the reason we shut down Steele was we went to a Box and 1, Steele was denied the pass and if you watch the tape McCurdy also took this role, once he got the ball he was double teamed, Ferg did not shut down Steele by himself, oh yeah McCurdy also initiated a trap on Steele which Steele threw the ball out of bounds, any of you haters remembering this it is on tape go watch it.  A PG does not have to score a ton of points or razzel dazzel anyone with his dribble, he needs to make the offense run, Sean does that, Ferguson does that at times, at times he gets shot happy and effectively takes Brewer, Townes, Thomas, and Modica out of the game.  Notshavin is dead on with this post +1 to you.

Richard_white

Quote from: TDHog on February 22, 2006, 08:18:06 pm
This board is amazing, it seems like what ever happened last is the flavor of the day.  So now Feg is the answer hugh?  Because he hit a very crucial 3, well the 3 times that he walked up and shot and missed without so much as a pass was just as much of a turnover (as one poster claimed about McCurdy's miss) and probably cost us points.  I have no problem with Ferg but if we have to rely on him we are in trouble he is way too steaky and out of control for PG.  For the absurd comment that McCurdy is not D-1 material, you do not come into a game against Alabama, one of the more athletic teams, on dish out 5 assists to only one TO (and is was questioalbe call at that) as a freshman if you are not D-1 material.  His assists were not just the pass to a guy for a three, they were good passes inside and 2 good transition passes.  Yes Steele got passed him ONCE and McCurdy fouled him, but McCurdy also stayed with him once and forced a jumper rather than a layup (he misses Brewer rebounds out to Sean who has an asist on the other end), plus he redirected Steele's shot and Brewer subsequently  stole the desperation pass.  I thought Ferg played very well on D, but before we proclaim him the next "Glove" the reason we shut down Steele was we went to a Box and 1, Steele was denied the pass and if you watch the tape McCurdy also took this role, once he got the ball he was double teamed, Ferg did not shut down Steele by himself, oh yeah McCurdy also initiated a trap on Steele which Steele threw the ball out of bounds, any of you haters remembering this it is on tape go watch it.  A PG does not have to score a ton of points or razzel dazzel anyone with his dribble, he needs to make the offense run, Sean does that, Ferguson does that at times, at times he gets shot happy and effectively takes Brewer, Townes, Thomas, and Modica out of the game.  Notshavin is dead on with this post +1 to you.

and + 1 for you TDHOG

johnny cash

Fergusan deseves to start, but Shaun needs more PT.  I really like the way Shaun drives and keeps the ball moving but he is sometimes out of control.  WE have won 2 in a row lets just stick with what is working for right now guarantee Fergusan should and will start Saturday.

tacomahog

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on February 22, 2006, 08:21:24 pm
Quote from: TDHog on February 22, 2006, 08:18:06 pm

and + 1 for you TDHOG

+1 to all three of you.

brodie_hawg

very well put nobballconcept.  jefferson does play better defense however how many mistakes can a SENIOR pg make at the end of games when superior playing time is crucial.  i do not know how mccurdy would have progressed throughout the season if he played the majority of the minutes...he may have continued to make the same freshman mistakes or he may have continually gotten better.  What we do know is the jefferson DID NOT get better as the season played on.

Quote from: fineswine on February 22, 2006, 07:46:26 pm
Notshavin- I have watched every game (ticket holder).  I have read the thread.  I always find your perspective to be close to how I feel whether it be football or basketball.  McCurdy is really the only difference in opinion I have with you.  I'm not looking to be argumentive, I just don't think the kid is division 1 talent.  It is not relevant what other schools recruited him, what is relevant is whether or not he is "up to speed".  He is a better option the Dontell, but Ferguson is a better option than both.  At this stage in his career, this is how I view it.  It is not an attack on anyone's ability to guage talent.

Fair enough.  Sorry about the comment, then, about you not watching.  I think a lot of people criticize Sean without watching closely. 
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Temprees

Quote from: HogISH™ on February 22, 2006, 11:09:48 am
when dontell was in the game last night he looked like a kid in a mans game.. if sm had been playing more in nonconf game he would be ready now.

but when he is in the game we go from the old notion offence to a somewhat motion offence.

HogISH
Just because you say it, does not make it so.  At the start of the game against Bama, Ferguson and McCurdy were ineffective.  Both of them had taken turns running the team, and our offense was stagnant and ineffective.  Also, Bama's offense was hitting on all cylinders.

Heath inserts Jefferson at the 11:40 mark, with the Score: 20-8 in favor of Bama.  Jefferson's defensive play, and passing led to a 7-0 Arkansas run. Bama scored, but Arkansas continued to play well, and cut the lead to 3 point (22-19) Bama.  We had the ball with a chance to tie the game, but Modica missed a 3 point shot.  On Bama's next possession, Bama scored to up their lead to 24-19.  Ark possession:  Jefferson misses a jumper.  Bama:  Scores over Hill to up lead to 26-19.  Ark: Hill is fouled and goes to the line to shoot 1-1. Ferguson comes back in for Jefferson with the score 26-19.

Whether you want to admit is or not, but Jefferson played very well during this stretch.  Was very active defensively, and help to slow down Bama's offensive assault.   Jefferson's contribution was significant, and played a part on getting us back into the game.

Richard_white

Quote from: Temprees on February 22, 2006, 11:18:17 pm
when dontell was in the game last night he looked like a kid in a mans game.. if sm had been playing more in nonconf game he would be ready now.

but when he is in the game we go from the old notion offence to a somewhat motion offence.

HogISH
Just because you say it, does not make it so.  At the start of the game against Bama, Ferguson and McCurdy were ineffective.  Both of them had taken turns running the team, and our offense was stagnant and ineffective.  Also, Bama's offense was hitting on all cylinders.

Heath inserts Jefferson at the 11:40 mark, with the Score: 20-8 in favor of Bama.  Jefferson's defensive play, and passing led to a 7-0 Arkansas run. Bama scored, but Arkansas continued to play well, and cut the lead to 3 point (22-19) Bama.  We had the ball with a chance to tie the game, but Modica missed a 3 point shot.  On Bama's next possession, Bama scored to up their lead to 24-19.  Ark possession:  Jefferson misses a jumper.  Bama:  Scores over Hill to up lead to 26-19.  Ark: Hill is fouled and goes to the line to shoot 1-1. Ferguson comes back in for Jefferson with the score 26-19.

Whether you want to admit is or not, but Jefferson played very well during this stretch.  Was very active defensively, and help to slow down Bama's offensive assault.   Jefferson's contribution was significant, and played a part on getting us back into the game.

Huh?

rricha

Temprees

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on February 22, 2006, 11:22:44 pm

HogISH

Huh?
Facts tend to have that effect on people.

Richard_white

no I was just wondering what game you were watching.

Quote from: rricha on February 22, 2006, 11:24:35 pm
THe kid is not our savior
Really?  Ya think?  You are right.  But he IS the best PG we have on the team.  THAT is the freaking point.

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on February 22, 2006, 11:26:28 pm
He was watching the interaction on the bench, which is where DJ was most of the game and where he belongs.

Richard_white

Quote from: Temprees on February 22, 2006, 11:25:32 pm
Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on February 22, 2006, 11:22:44 pm

HogISH

Huh?
Facts tend to have that effect on people.

Did you watch the first game between Arkansas/Alabama game, oh wait Donterrible fouled the three point shooter. 

Temprees

The one on TV.  Check out the play by play.  That is exactly what happened.  You block out those things that are contrary to what you want to believe.  

Richard_white

Quote from: Temprees on February 22, 2006, 11:32:33 pm

The one on TV.  Check out the play by play.  That is exactly what happened.  You block out those things that are contrary to what you want to believe.  

I have both games recorded, do you want to see the first game where your boy (Donterrible) fouled the 3 point shooter and cost us the game?

Ugly Uncle

I was at the game, and then came home and watched it again...I know...I am just a sports nerd like that...WATCH THE GAME!!!!!!  Jefferson stood well behind the arc and passed the ball around.  He showed no leadership.  He got beat by his man on the drive and tried to poke the ball out from behind.  Nope, couldn't do it.  WATCH THE GAME!!!!  He played okay in spurts, but was not the reason for the spurt...You cannot have WATCHED THE GAME and believe anything that you are saying!
Retired Radio Host

CiriusPorker

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 22, 2006, 11:37:19 pm
I was at the game, and then came home and watched it again...I know...I am just a sports nerd like that...WATCH THE GAME!!!!!!  Jefferson stood well behind the arc and passed the ball around.  He showed no leadership.  He got beat by his man on the drive and tried to poke the ball out from behind.  Nope, couldn't do it.  WATCH THE GAME!!!!  He played okay in spurts, but was not the reason for the spurt...You cannot have WATCHED THE GAME and believe anything that you are saying!

McCurdy's court vision is almost unmatched by ANY one on the court in ANY game he plays.  He's patient, he moves the ball around while trying to find the open lane.

Temprees

Quote from: CiriusPorker on February 22, 2006, 11:58:55 pm

McCurdy's court vision is almost unmatched by ANY one on the court in ANY game he plays.  He's patient, he moves the ball around while trying to find the open lane.

He should have done that in the first 8:20 of the game, when Bama was surging to 20-8 lead.  We had score 1 point per minute during that stretch.  
Jefferson and McCurdy played during the first half.  Of those two, Jefferson was more effective.  Any one who was objective could see this.  

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Temprees on February 23, 2006, 12:05:58 am
Quote from: CiriusPorker on February 22, 2006, 11:58:55 pm

He should have done that in the first 8:20 of the game, when Bama was surging to 20-8 lead.  We had score 1 point per minute during that stretch.  
Jefferson and McCurdy played during the first half.  Of those two, Jefferson was more effective.  Any one who was objective could see this.  

I think he would have found that difficult in the first 8:20 of the game...SINCE HE DIDN'T START!  Seriously dude, did you watch the game?
Retired Radio Host

Richard_white

Just got done watching the game again for the 5th time and the only thing I saw Donterrible do was stand around on offense like he was lost.

WPS

Ugly Uncle

That is all I am saying.  That is what he has done all year.
Retired Radio Host

Richard_white

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 23, 2006, 03:47:33 am
That is all I am saying.  That is what he has done all year.

He is also known to foul a 3 point shooter to beat us

HogsRule

Did you watch the game at AL. That foul was questionable at best.

So when someone uses your own logic against you they are wrong. At least 3 people have said that they didn't know why but the hogs play better when McCurdy is in the game. Temprees points out the same thing happened with Dontell in the game and you say oh well that wasn't because of Dontell.

I'm not saying that McCurdy isn't good, but I think way too much of the blame has been given to Dontell. I agree that we should keep the same formula we have going until it starts to fail, but don't just discard Dontell. Last year he was horrible and he has improved 300000% since then. Everyone on this team could have done things better to prevent those bad losses - the blame does not fall on Dontell's shoulders alone. And he has made way more plays to help our team this year then hurt it. If you think the plays he made against Kansas weren't big, ask the selection committee cause that's our other big win.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: HogsRule on February 23, 2006, 09:30:19 am

So when someone uses your own logic against you they are wrong. At least 3 people have said that they didn't know why but the hogs play better when McCurdy is in the game. Temprees points out the same thing happened with Dontell in the game and you say oh well that wasn't because of Dontell.

I'm not saying that McCurdy isn't good, but I think way too much of the blame has been given to Dontell. I agree that we should keep the same formula we have going until it starts to fail, but don't just discard Dontell. Last year he was horrible and he has improved 300000% since then. Everyone on this team could have done things better to prevent those bad losses - the blame does not fall on Dontell's shoulders alone. And he has made way more plays to help our team this year then hurt it. If you think the plays he made against Kansas weren't big, ask the selection committee cause that's our other big win.

Come on, that isn't exactly true is it?  People have said, "Arkansas plays better when McCurdy is in because..."  Then they/we list things like: 1.  Not picking up his dribble.  2.  Directing players on the court.  3.  Penetrating the zone.  4.  Looking to pass the ball inside.  5.  Being able to make good passes to our big men.

Those are just a few.  He wasn't reversing my logic and using it against me.  He tried to say that DJ was doing things that caused the spurt.  I said, watch the game.  He wasn't, and people have backed up my opinion on that.

Those of us that feel that way could all be wrong.  But don't say we are just throwing out that our team does better with McCurdy and say, "we don't know why, but they do."
Retired Radio Host

HogsRule

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 23, 2006, 02:19:53 pm

Come on, that isn't exactly true is it?  People have said, "Arkansas plays better when McCurdy is in because..."  Then they/we list things like: 1.  Not picking up his dribble.  2.  Directing players on the court.  3.  Penetrating the zone.  4.  Looking to pass the ball inside.  5.  Being able to make good passes to our big men.

Those are just a few.  He wasn't reversing my logic and using it against me.  He tried to say that DJ was doing things that caused the spurt.  I said, watch the game.  He wasn't, and people have backed up my opinion on that.

Those of us that feel that way could all be wrong.  But don't say we are just throwing out that our team does better with McCurdy and say, "we don't know why, but they do."

Here it is

Quote from: Hawgon on February 22, 2006, 03:13:06 pm
Why do you think our big men had the ball enough so that they could get Alabama's big men in trouble?  Do you think it might have been because we had someone who actually looked to get them the ball?  I do.

McCurdy is not a superhero, but those of you who can't see how much better the offense runs when he is in there, just have no clue.  I don't know exactly why that is so, it may not be entirely McCurdy's doing, but whatever it is, it works.  Look at the last two games as evidence.

When you have lost as many games as we have by as few points as we have, a turnover here or there is enough to make the difference.  But the real difference is the lack of scoring droughts when McCurdy is playing.  When he and Ferguson share the duty, there aren't the long scoring droughts.  Bring in Dontell, and a drought begins.  It really is just about that simple.

there are also some others that allude to the same thing and that's where I must have lumped everyone together with you. Sorry.
Plus I'm too lazy to go back and actually look who said what.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

Temprees

February 23, 2006, 03:50:07 pm #78 Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 03:52:30 pm by Temprees

I never said that DJ was doing things that caused the spurt.  You are so busy trying to promote McCurdy to Mateen Cleaves status that you fail to slow down and read and comprehend what another poster is saying.  Here is exactly what I said: 

"Whether you want to admit is or not, but Jefferson played very well during this stretch.  Was very active defensively, and help to slow down Bama's offensive assault.   Jefferson's contribution was significant, and played a part on getting us back into the game."

Everything that I said is true.  Notice that I did not say that DJ was doing things that caused the spurt, nor did I try to say that.  You are just wrong.  For the slow to comprehend, I was saying that DJ, DID do things that CONTRIBUTED  to the Spurt.  See the part where I said that DJ played  "a part" in getting us back into the game.  That was true then and its true now.

I stand by my comment that as between McCurdy and Jefferson, (1)that Jefferson played significantly better than McCurdy in the first half of the Alabama game; and (2) that our team played better in the first half after Jefferson came into the game at the 11:40 mark.

You should note that I am not downing McCurdy's performance in the Alabama game.  I merely was bringing attention to a fact that you and some of your buddies are choosing to disregard.  You see, when you are looking for the negatives in a player to prove a point, you tend to overlook the positives in a player that contradict what the point you are trying to prove.

Ugly Uncle

Okay, that is a little bit about semantics, because he did say exactly what you said.  "I don't know why"

But he also pointed out the passes to the big men.

However, this thread isn't about you and me.  So, I will just say, that I will try to not be so critical of someone that has a different view than me.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Temprees on February 23, 2006, 03:50:07 pm

I never said that DJ was doing things that caused the spurt.  You are so busy trying to promote McCurdy to Mateen Cleaves status that you fail to slow down and read and comprehend what another poster is saying.  Here is exactly what I said: 

"Whether you want to admit is or not, but Jefferson played very well during this stretch.  Was very active defensively, and help to slow down Bama's offensive assault.   Jefferson's contribution was significant, and played a part on getting us back into the game."

Everything that I said is true.  Notice that I did not say that DJ was doing things that caused the spurt, nor did I try to say that.  You are just wrong.  For the slow to comprehend, I was saying that DJ, DID do things that CONTRIBUTED  to the Spurt.  See the part where I said that DJ played  "a part" in getting us back into the game.  That was true then and its true now.

I stand by my comment that as between McCurdy and Jefferson, (1)that Jefferson played significantly better than McCurdy in the first half of the Alabama game; and (2) that our team played better in the first half after Jefferson came into the game at the 11:40 mark.

You should note that I am not downing McCurdy's performance in the Alabama game.  I merely was bringing attention to a fact that you and some of your buddies are choosing to disregard.  You see, when you are looking for the negatives in a player to prove a point, you tend to overlook the positives in a player that contradict what the point you are trying to prove.

And, I say again, watch the game.  His defense was not that good.  He looked lost in the offense. 

I am not McCurdy's PR person, nor am I trying to slander DJ.  I wish DJ was as good as you think he is.  I would love it.  I really hoped he would be the floor general for us this year.  But, he has proved that he can't do it.

As far as looking for negatives...it isn't like I am looking for a needle in a haystack...
It is more like just pointing out which needle is sticking you during acupuncture.
Retired Radio Host

Temprees

February 23, 2006, 04:19:13 pm #81 Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 04:25:00 pm by Temprees
Quote from: uglyuncle on February 23, 2006, 03:59:18 pm
Quote from: Temprees on February 23, 2006, 03:50:07 pm

And, I say again, watch the game.  His defense was not that good.  He looked lost in the offense. 

I am not McCurdy's PR person, nor am I trying to slander DJ.  I wish DJ was as good as you think he is.  I would love it.  I really hoped he would be the floor general for us this year.  But, he has proved that he can't do it.

As far as looking for negatives...it isn't like I am looking for a needle in a haystack...
It is more like just pointing out which needle is sticking you during acupuncture.

I am sorry that you have trouble reading and understanding the printed words.  No where in my post did I indicate that I thought that DJ was good.  Don't try and think for me, or put words in my thread, that I did not make.

None of your general comments address the specifics that I have stated about what happened during the 1st half of the Alabama game.  The announcers were even talking about how DJ's and RB's long arms were causing Alabama problems during the stretch that I spoke of.  My comments were specific to the 1st half of the Alabama game, and nothing else.  The pace of the game picked up during this stretch, and we cut Bama's lead from 20-8 to 22-19, before Modica missed a 3, and Bama hit a two. This is what happened.

I do apologize to you for interjecting facts into your discussion, to mess up what you had going.

StanNutt

MCCURDY NEEDS TO PLAY MORE BECAUSE THE HOGS HAVE SUCH A STAGNENT MOTION OFFENSE. MCCURDY PENETRATES WHEN THEY'RE ALL JUST STANDING AROUND NOT MOVING WHICH FORCES THE DEFENSE TO MOVE! THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A POINT GUARD AND 3 SHOOTING GUARDS.

Ugly Uncle

Temprees.  You amuse me.

First of all.  I did address it.  I said the my impression and many others say that Jefferson did okay on defense.  However, it wasn't great.

Secondly, I said, he looked lost on offense.  Just my impression.  I tend to get that impression when someone picks up their dribble, doesn't drive, and passes to someone then doesn't move.

Those are impressions.

I am struggling to see where you added facts.  Okay, wait, you mean, the run we made when Jefferson was in there.  Okay.  Again, your IMPRESSION is because Jefferson was playing so well.  My IMPRESSION was the Jefferson didn't do to much to hurt us.  He even seemed to help some on the defense.  Offense is a different story.

I would like to point out to you that the run (from being down 18) in the second half was made with McCurdy in the game.  Now, the final push was made with neither in the game...but McCurdy actually MADE plays that spurred the second half run.

You have IMPRESSIONS that I guess you would like to call facts.  Okay.  I'm not trying to put you down or DJ.  It is just there isn't much to back up the fact that DJ was in anyway a catalyst in our first half run.  I was just proud he wasn't killing us...well, at least on defense.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

"I never said that DJ was doing things that caused the spurt.  You are so busy trying to promote McCurdy to Mateen Cleaves status that you fail to slow down and read and comprehend what another poster is saying."  Temprees (about three post down)

"Jefferson's defensive play, and passing led to a 7-0 Arkansas run."  Temprees (11:09 on Feb. 22, 2006-same thread)

Just wanted to add facts.  Hope that doesn't mess you up.  There is an edit button if you need to change it to fit your last post.
Retired Radio Host

TDHog

Just out of curosity, what was the score when Dontell exited the game in the first half?  I am fairly sure it was back up to double digits.  So yes we made a run while he was in there, but don't act like he lead the great comeback charge.  For McCurdy not getting it done in the first half, how many first half mins did he play? 2 or 3?  I don't know the exact numbers I 'm sure someone on here does.

mutdog

This debate is fueled by the fact that neither, Ferguson, Jefferson, or McCurdy are exactly what you want in a point guard and all have their weaknesses.

You see point guards like Steele and it just knocks your head off.  Dang, If we had a point guard like that. 

I have more confidence in Furgeson at this point.  I want Furgeson in the game at the end.

Bring in McCurdy as needed in the game to rest Furg. and let McCurdy get some much needed experience. 

And most of all, recruit a big time point guard.  I would like to see how Heath's team can do with a true quality point guard.  If he doesn't get one soon, he will be gone.

Quote from: mutdog on February 23, 2006, 05:12:38 pm
This debate is fueled by the fact that neither, Ferguson, Jefferson, or McCurdy are exactly what you want in a point guard and all have their weaknesses.

You see point guards like Steele and it just knocks your head off.  Dang, If we had a point guard like that. 

I have more confidence in Furgeson at this point.  I want Furgeson in the game at the end.

Bring in McCurdy as needed in the game to rest Furg. and let McCurdy get some much needed experience. 

And most of all, recruit a big time point guard.  I would like to see how Heath's team can do with a true quality point guard.  If he doesn't get one soon, he will be gone.

We do have some good PG's coming in.  And I disagree about Steele.  In fact, Alabama may have won if they would have not relied on his scoring so much.

McCurdy is a freshman.  To write him off is not smart.  DJ and Ferguson can easily be written off.  They are not and will not be good.  McCurdy has much more upside.

Sean does not score because he is ALWAYS looking to pass first, and the first pass he looks for is inside.  If you have a high scoring PG, you are not well rounded and cannot do as many things; such as get the other team in foul trouble, wear them down, get to the line, etc.

Furthermore, we do not know if Sean can score because the inside pass ALWAYS seems to be there.  I guess teams are more used to Jefferson or Ferguson to jack up a shot after a couple of dribbles, so they sit back to just gather the rebound.

ENOUGH.  Stan, start a true PG that can distribute the ball like it needs to be done.

Richard_white

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 23, 2006, 06:38:31 pm

We do have some good PG's coming in.  And I disagree about Steele.  In fact, Alabama may have won if they would have not relied on his scoring so much.

McCurdy is a freshman.  To write him off is not smart.  DJ and Ferguson can easily be written off.  They are not and will not be good.  McCurdy has much more upside.

Sean does not score because he is ALWAYS looking to pass first, and the first pass he looks for is inside.  If you have a high scoring PG, you are not well rounded and cannot do as many things; such as get the other team in foul trouble, wear them down, get to the line, etc.

Furthermore, we do not know if Sean can score because the inside pass ALWAYS seems to be there.  I guess teams are more used to Jefferson or Ferguson to jack up a shot after a couple of dribbles, so they sit back to just gather the rebound.

ENOUGH.  Stan, start a true PG that can distribute the ball like it needs to be done.

Notshavin I couldnt have said that better + 1

TDHog

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on February 23, 2006, 08:04:11 pm

You read my mind as well, just to piggy back on the post, another thing McCurdy does very well is fake a pass to the wing, he did this several times and the defender jumped towards the wing in anticipation opening up the pass to the high block, that is the pass you have to make to break down the zone, once the ball is there more often than not the zone can be beat.

lunchbox72703

I'm Not trying to rustle any feathers here, AND I DO LIKE MCCURDY, but against the quickness of tennesee, I believe we need a quicker, more sound defensive player at point, ala Ferguson.  No offense to Sean, but Fergy is better on D at this point.

MCCURDY SHOULD STILL GET MINUTES, THOUGH!!!!!

hogken

lunchbox you have knowledge! Ferguson should start! always! He can really dribble upcourt very,very quickly! pretty good D. and can shoot the 3
one fist is iron the other is steel,if the right one dont get you,the left one will!

Quote from: TDHog on February 23, 2006, 08:17:02 pm
Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on February 23, 2006, 08:04:11 pm

You read my mind as well, just to piggy back on the post, another thing McCurdy does very well is fake a pass to the wing, he did this several times and the defender jumped towards the wing in anticipation opening up the pass to the high block, that is the pass you have to make to break down the zone, once the ball is there more often than not the zone can be beat.

Great point.  That pass was there all night against Bama, and Townes was hitting that shot.  Also, Sean seems to be the only one who knows how to throw a bounce pass, which is perfect in the situation you are referring to. 

Most of us learned that pass in elementary school, but I guess it is becoming somewhat of a lost art.