Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jared Ridder

Started by hdturner, September 22, 2017, 09:06:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hdturner

I wonder will Hogs take second look if we miss out on Jordan Phillips. I know we offered him last year. He visited campus last spring.

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/news/former-kickapoo-basketball-standout-jared-ridder-to-leave-xavier/816860456

Big Nasty 34

Yes, please. I know he may not fit the athletic form that CMA likes, but the kid is a legit 6-7 and one of the best shooters in the country. Has big time range, as well. Could do damage on the wings with Isaiah Joe in the future.

FineAsSwine

I think it would depend upon the circumstances that led to his leaving Xavier.
Hogs up! Covid down!

HardingHog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 23, 2017, 12:09:09 am

This is what I want to know. Could just be homesickness, and I'd assume we're the nearest major offer he had.
Defensively: As far as fit goes, I'm not sure. He's 6'7/6'8, but kinda stuck in the middle where I don't know if he's physical enough to play inside or quick enough to stay in front of guards.
However, he can absolutely shoot the ball.
Offensively: He's also somewhat of a mismatch for teams to guard because he can get his shot off over anyone his size or smaller, and he's a good enough ball handler and finisher to get by bigs who close out on him and finish at the rim or shoot the mid range
I'm not sure what his situation is, but I'd assume he'd have to sit out a year. So I have no clue as to how that'd fit in with Coach Anderson's plans for the roster. However, if we get Phillips/Hellems and Chaney/Steere/Grad Big: I'd be perfectly happy with that. But if we don't get one of our plan A wings I wouldn't be opposed to gauging Ridder's interest

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 23, 2017, 12:09:09 am

I would imagine it's homesickness. He's a very quiet kid and I could see him not fitting in in Cincinnati.

He's not your prototypical Fastest 40 player, but neither was Dusty and we all loved him. I think what he doesn't have in great athleticism, he makes up for in basketball IQ and being able to score at multiple levels. We've not had many of those guys, just athletes. Also, not many 6-7 guys walking around that can light it up like him.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: HardingHog on September 23, 2017, 01:41:46 am

Defensively: As far as fit goes, I'm not sure. He's 6'7/6'8, but kinda stuck in the middle where I don't know if he's physical enough to play inside or quick enough to stay in front of guards.
However, he can absolutely shoot the ball.
Offensively: He's also somewhat of a mismatch for teams to guard because he can get his shot off over anyone his size or smaller, and he's a good enough ball handler and finisher to get by bigs who close out on him and finish at the rim or shoot the mid range
I'm not sure what his situation is, but I'd assume he'd have to sit out a year. So I have no clue as to how that'd fit in with Coach Anderson's plans for the roster.

That's because he plays a position that we've not had a lot of players play recently... Small Forward lol

Razorod

I don't think we have a scholarship available right now do we?

If we don't, he'd either have to walk-on for a year or Anderson would need to free up a scholarship for him.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Razorod on September 23, 2017, 10:02:24 am
I don't think we have a scholarship available right now do we?

If we don't, he'd either have to walk-on for a year or Anderson would need to free up a scholarship for him.

Well, I guess that door is closed unless Cook gets the boot.
Hogs up! Covid down!

azhog10

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 23, 2017, 10:27:07 am
Well, I guess that door is closed unless Cook gets the boot.
Hed take Cooks plus a scholly we are planning to use this year for the 2018 class.

Always thought Xavier was in interesting choice for him with girl friend here and all.

Porked Tongue

His former Kickapoo coach is now the head coach at Bentonville.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 23, 2017, 10:46:41 am
His former Kickapoo coach is now the head coach at Bentonville.

Maybe he considers walking on. Girlfriend and ex-coach here? Could possibly happen
Hogs up! Covid down!

batmanfan

I'd rather have the 4 guys we are going after for '18.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

mbgrulz

Quote from: batmanfan on September 23, 2017, 12:52:47 pm
I'd rather have the 4 guys we are going after for '18.
Ridder is every bit as good as anybody were on right now. He's a nice 4 year player.

Porked Tongue

He would help.  Great kid too.

MakingPlays

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 23, 2017, 12:47:49 pm
Maybe he considers walking on. Girlfriend and ex-coach here? Could possibly happen

He would only have to walk-on for a semester, so it wouldn't be that bad.  I'm assuming he'll finish out the semester at Xavier and then enroll at his new school in the Spring. 

As far as him and Arkansas, I think he would be a good pick-up, he's a former 4-star player, can really shot the ball and has nice size at 6'7.  Seems it would make sense for the staff to at least make contact.  While we are the leader for Jordan Phillips, we all know how quickly things change in recruiting, having Ridder as another option would be a good thing in case Georgetown or Va Tech just blows Phillips away. 

Kevin McPherson

Heard Missouri State is the early leader for Jared Ridder.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on September 23, 2017, 03:09:50 pm
That's a natural guess since he's from there and homesick.

HardingHog

Wow. VERY homesick I guess. They're probably doing backflips. Doubtful they've had many 4 stars fall into their laps

MakingPlays

Quote from: HardingHog on September 23, 2017, 03:32:52 pm
Wow. VERY homesick I guess. They're probably doing backflips. Doubtful they've had many 4 stars fall into their laps

I was thinking the same thing.  And he'd have to walk-on there as well, they are currently maxed on on schlolarships as well. 

Big Nasty 34

He could lead the country in scoring there 😂 

King Kong

Kick Cook off the team and give Ridder his scholarship

mhuff

Cook is a senior. It wouldn't add to our available scholarships. We were already planning on his graduation after this season

Razorod

It would if Ridder wanted to transfer at mid-term.

mhuff

September 23, 2017, 09:18:45 pm #23 Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 09:42:46 pm by mhuff
Has to lay out a year

King Kong

Razorod

True. But he can be on scholarship if we have one available. Not saying anything like this is going to happen, but if Cook (or any player) loses his, then one would become available for a mid-term transfer to use.

But you're right, that player couldn't play until December 2018 after the fall term is completed.

Swinesong1

So much love shown for this guy.  Even at the expense of a current Hog or commit.  Why?

mbgrulz

Quote from: Swinesong1 on September 23, 2017, 09:55:36 pm
So much love shown for this guy.  Even at the expense of a current Hog or commit.  Why?

https://youtu.be/SWACsZinNV4

HawgsPolo

Quote from: King Kong on September 23, 2017, 08:29:00 pm
Kick Cook off the team and give Ridder his scholarship

So if someone approached you and presented an immediate threat. How would you respond?
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

mhuff

I am sure that CMA knows all the details and will act appropriately. You do understand that if there is not a real punishment he any others will turn around and do the same thing. Cook will have to stay clean if he wants to stay. The end result is up to CMA AND Cook's behavior.

East TN HAWG

Cook has been on campus almost two years.  Fayetteville's finest has arrested him twice. Either Cook is the unluckiest guy in town, or he is putting himself in a bad situations.  With all he has to lose, you think he would put himself in a more favorable environment.  He is about to have a similar experience as  S Tretola.

King Kong

Quote from: HawgsPolo on September 24, 2017, 08:57:57 am
So if someone approached you and presented an immediate threat. How would you respond?

What the heck are you talking about?

I'm talking about added an excellent BB player in place of a kid that has earned his way off the team

FineAsSwine

I like the kids we are on right now more than Ridder.
Hogs up! Covid down!

mhuff

September 24, 2017, 01:03:58 pm #33 Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 01:21:11 pm by mhuff
Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 24, 2017, 11:24:21 am
I like the kids we are on right now more than Ridder.

I am not holding it against Ridder for not coming to the Hill originally , but the bus is already full with recruits. What are we gonna do for 2019.

When I was Cook's age, I didn't make good decisions at times. CMA gets to make the decisions for longevity on this team. With all due respect, I really don't think CMA cares about your or my opinions.

Fine, I am not directing the comment above to you specifically.

Pinto

I'll boot Cook ASAP if Ridder says he will sign with us! There's really nothing to think about lol. Ridder can absolutely shoot lights out!

ADavisTheGOAT

Transferring to Missouri State
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

MakingPlays

Quote from: Hogfan991 on September 25, 2017, 06:00:39 pm
Transferring to Missouri State

You sure?  It's an article up stating Hogs have interest.  Just posted a few minutes ago.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/sep/25/xavier-transfer-interested-hogs/

King Kong

Kevin McPherson

mhuff

Don't know how good he is at creating his own shot ,but he sure can shoot. Always look at the numbers though. Anyone can look good in a high light film.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: MakingPlays on September 25, 2017, 06:25:17 pm
You sure?  It's an article up stating Hogs have interest.  Just posted a few minutes ago.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/sep/25/xavier-transfer-interested-hogs/

Dudley spoke to Bentonville basketball coach Richard Rippee, who was Ridder's high school coach. His  daughter, Rachel, is a sophomore volleyball player at Arkansas and also Ridder's girlfriend.

He knew about the strong connection to Missouri State.