Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How would you feel about an annual thanksgiving showdown with Texas?

Started by Ben, November 19, 2018, 02:50:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 19, 2018, 11:54:19 pm
David Cutcliffe said Clemson is great at every position.

Alabama is basically a one-trick pony on offense (Tua), and Alabama's Secondary is suspect.

We scored 31 points against Alabama and The Citadel scored 17 points against Alabama.  That shows that Alabama has some weakness.

A coach that played an opposing team, gave the most Coach Speak comment ever about an opposing team? Color me shocked.

LOLOLOL at the rest of your post.

diveplayon4thn20

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on November 19, 2018, 04:44:13 pm
I'd argue that the Arkansas side of this game is the only side that broadly romanticizes it as a "rivalry" and as "tradition".  It reminds me of the way some folks romanticize the old west era. Riding a horse with a six shooter on your hip with complete freedom is the idealist vision whereas the reality of the old west completely sucked. Let me avoid getting shot long enough to get married, possibly to a cousin, at age 13 and take most of my sharts outside before dying off at the ripe old age of 38. Sounds fantastic! Sign me up for sharting outside some more. That's the old west reality equivalent to Texas' 72% winning pct in the series. They kicked our teeth in 56 times to our romanticized 22 wins.

Romanticizing the past, if not careful, prevents forward prog
Your long winded rambling metaphor is hogwash. The Hogs Have defeated the shorthorns 4 out of the last 6 times the teams have played and 3 of those wins were blowouts! Had it not been for that infamous fumble by Matt Jones inside the Texas 5 yard.line late in the 4th Wye in2004 it would be 5 out of six. And trust me, Texans hated us and were glad we left for the SEC because we dominated the SWC in every sport our last several years in the SWC.
This game would undoubtedly be a huge draw financially and would be anxiously looked forward every year. And please elaborate how having this game would "prevent forward progress"?  If our program is to rise from an average program to the powerhouse we all dream of, a game like this should be welcomed, not ducked and dodged . If your scared, get a dog!

OkieBack

So we get pummeled by Texas every year instead of Mizzou?  I'd be barfing up allot of turkey if this ever became a reality. 

memphishog

i'd rather go back to LSU at thanksgiving. that was turning into a fun series before A&M came into the picture

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Ben on November 19, 2018, 02:50:23 pm
With both thanksgiving rivals leaving for each other, would an annual thanksgiving game vs Texas be ideal to you?

Just opened this thread.  Did NOT bother to read any of the other posts because I've thought about this already (more than a decade ago) and the answer is still the same.

Sure - I'd love to see that game.  But thinking about it is a TOTAL WASTE OF TIME because Texas has less than zero interest in it.

Texas plays 9 conference games (as do all Big 12 teams), so they just have 3 non-conference games per year.  They book two "easy" wins and one "gaudy" Power 5 team most years.  They prefer to rotate among top-tier Power 5 teams to get some variety.  They don't WANT to be locked into a long-timer non-conference series with anyone, let alone us.

Texas, right or wrong, views themselves as a "blue blood" of college sports (Football in particular), and ONLY wants to play others they deem "worthy" at a peer level.  They have series with LSU, Alabama and Ohio State booked in the next few years (LSU starts next season).  We are not presently "glitzy" enough for them.  Note that, at least at this time, they are still scheduled to come to Fayetteville in 2021 to complete the second half of the home and home that started when we played them in Austin in 2008.  Wouldn't be shocked to see them buy us out and put Notre Dame, USC or someone else in that spot. 

In particular, Texas fans don't want to play us.  They view it as a "lose/lose" situation.  Beat us, and nobody cares; lose to us and it's an embarrassment.   I hate to put it that way, but that's the way THEY see it.  And we all know how they look down their nose at Arkansas, in general.  Just the way it is.

rzrbaxfan

I think we need to fix the hole in the roof before we worry about what color to paint the walls.

PonderinHog

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on November 20, 2018, 02:24:57 pm
I think we need to fix the hole in the roof before we worry about what color to paint the walls.
You don't like moldy burnt orange ???

onebadrubi

You got to love a good Ben thread.

He makes a topic, usually one that is controversial and starts more controversy, asked a question yet never provides his thoughts and never comes back around. 

Gotta wonder what his motive is...

hogsanity

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 20, 2018, 03:20:33 pm

He makes a topic, usually one that is controversial and starts more controversy, asked a question yet never provides his thoughts and never comes back around. 

click click clickity click
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TeufelHog

Quote from: Gonzo on November 19, 2018, 07:21:33 pm
SO.ONLY.TEAMS.THE.HOGS.HAVE.NEVER.PLAYED.REGULARLY.BEFORE.SHOULD.BE.CONSIDERED.FOR.FUTURE.GAMES?

Yes, some fans would like to see the game renewed because they recall it from an earlier time. That does not negate it could be a significant series in its own right with a nationally noteworthy opponent in an area essential to the Hogs, both for recruiting and for their fanbase. That's basically the exact impetus behind renewing the A&M series. Why would texas be any different? I don't anticipate it anytime soon but I think it would be an entertaining series. The same could be said for several other regional teams such as OU, OSU, or TCU.

Go Hogs!
Nope.  Think you need to read WizardofHogZ' post on page 2 and come to grips with reality.  Texas "moved on" decades ago and the University of Arkansas, including a portion of our fanbase, "won't let go of the rope."  Texas playing Arkansas is analogous to Arkansas playing Arkansas State.  In each respective scenario, Texas and Arkansas have nothing to gain and everything to lose.   

Pigsknuckles

After all the trouble to create a shotgun rivalry between Arkansas and Mizzou?
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

hawgfan4life

No!  Why would we add would should be a perennial top ten team to our final week after going through the SEC schedule?  South Carolina liked it when they were playing Clemson and they were equals, but I bet they aren't caring for that game now.  I'd rather start playing Arkansas State and have a true rivalry develop.

SWarkansasman

So we can get our ass handed to us , haven't you had enough of that already? 

Swinelake

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 19, 2018, 03:03:50 pm
Would rather Texas and A&M renew Thanksgiving game, we get LSU back and Mizzou-KU resume their hatefest.

I don't really hate LSU like I do Texas, but I think this is probably the best option for us.

Willyhog87

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 20, 2018, 03:20:33 pm

He seems like an aggie that likes to troll these boards to me based on some of his previous threads.

Gonzo

Quote from: TeufelHog on November 21, 2018, 08:39:41 pm
Nope.  Think you need to read WizardofHogZ' post on page 2 and come to grips with reality.  Texas "moved on" decades ago and the University of Arkansas, including a portion of our fanbase, "won't let go of the rope."  Texas playing Arkansas is analogous to Arkansas playing Arkansas State.  In each respective scenario, Texas and Arkansas have nothing to gain and everything to lose.   

My reality is just fine but thanks for your concern. I presented reasons why I think this game, whether the teams had ever played before or not, could be a very interesting and entertaining series in the present in its own right, just like some other regional options could be which I noted. Since your whole argument is relative to what you think some other fans feel about a former rivalry, remind me again who is having trouble not living in the past.

Go Hogs!