Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What did you grill/Smoke this week???

Started by BR, July 15, 2012, 08:42:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

Quote from: kibster on January 20, 2018, 01:54:10 pm
Not grilling this weekend. In NOLA for a food trip.

Headed there in about 3 weeks.  Post where you went.  Have only been to NO once and that was leaving out on a cruise so we didn't have much time.  Looking forward to your reports because you know good food. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Boarcephus

Quote from: BR on January 21, 2018, 10:58:15 am
Getting a Tri-Tip ready

Never cooked one.  Guess I need to try if I can find one. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

kibster

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 21, 2018, 09:28:38 am
Headed there in about 3 weeks.  Post where you went.  Have only been to NO once and that was leaving out on a cruise so we didn't have much time.  Looking forward to your reports because you know good food. 

I was traveling with some food writers and we hit 16 spots in 40 hours.  It was a tough job, but someone had to do it. Here are the highlights

Turkey and the Wolf - new sandwich shop and recently won best new restaurant in the country.  I can see why.  It is only open 11-5, but it was the best thing I had all weekend. Collard Green Melt - it tastes like the best damn ruben you have ever had....and no meat.  Just insane.

Felix's Oysters - skip the line at Acme and walk across the street and get the chargrilled oysters.

Cafe Du Monde - touristy, yes.  But also a staple and pretty damn good.

Spitfire Coffee - I always stop here while in the quarter.  They serve coffee from some of the top roasters in the country.

District Donuts - Get the cinnamon roll.  They brulee the top and it is ridiculous. 

Cochon Butcher - Get the Le Pig Mac.  Like a big mac except made with pork patties (and actually good).  Also take home some of their sausages from their meat counter.  I bought 10lbs of andouille because their's is what I use for my gumbo

Also had a very interesting dinner at Maypop.  It is asian/creaole fusion and very good.

Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

Boarcephus

Quote from: kibster on January 22, 2018, 05:49:55 pm
I was traveling with some food writers and we hit 16 spots in 40 hours.  It was a tough job, but someone had to do it. Here are the highlights

Turkey and the Wolf - new sandwich shop and recently won best new restaurant in the country.  I can see why.  It is only open 11-5, but it was the best thing I had all weekend. Collard Green Melt - it tastes like the best damn ruben you have ever had....and no meat.  Just insane.

Felix's Oysters - skip the line at Acme and walk across the street and get the chargrilled oysters.

Spitfire Coffee - I always stop here while in the quarter.  They serve coffee from some of the top roasters in the country.

District Donuts - Get the cinnamon roll.  They brulee the top and it is ridiculous. 

Cochon Butcher - Get the Le Pig Mac.  Like a big mac except made with pork patties (and actually good).  Also take home some of their sausages from their meat counter.  I bought 10lbs of andouille because their's is what I use for my gumbo

Also had a very interesting dinner at Maypop.  It is asian/creaole fusion and very good.

Appreciate it.  I'll forward this on and I'll wager we'll hit Felix's for sure and maybe a couple of the others.  Thanks!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cosmodrum

Agree on Felix's. Also, Lee Harvey Oswald was a bus boy there, so there's that.
Go away, batin'

thebignasty

We took an ill advised family trip to New Orleans when I was a teen.  I don't think it hit my parents what a darn ass idea walking around New Orleans with 2 kids and a teenager was until they saw the guys hosing vomit down the drains on Bourbon St. at 7am on a Tuesday.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

BR

I'm blessed to be part of 10 Teams in the Belizan version of the American Royal next Tuesday.  Been cooking down there at a Bar for 7 years on Super Bowl Sunday, This year we qualified for the BBQ Cookoff. 

Please Check out & join our Food page at:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/brstikibarfoodpage/

pigture perfect

A friend invited me over yesterday for smoked Turkey. He infused it with a pound of butter and six jalapeños puréed and strained. Wow!
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Boarcephus

Quote from: BR on January 26, 2018, 06:54:05 am
I'm blessed to be part of 10 Teams in the Belizan version of the American Royal next Tuesday.  Been cooking down there at a Bar for 7 years on Super Bowl Sunday, This year we qualified for the BBQ Cookoff. 

Please Check out & join our Food page at:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/brstikibarfoodpage/

That's neat.  What do you guys cook on because I doubt you hauled down your smokers?

kibster

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 30, 2018, 01:23:45 am
A friend invited me over yesterday for smoked Turkey. He infused it with a pound of butter and six jalapeños puréed and strained. Wow!

was it very spicy?
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

pigture perfect

Quote from: kibster on January 30, 2018, 04:12:08 pm
was it very spicy?

It didn't make you cry or sweat, but it was pleasantly spicy. Just maybe a degree above Popeyes Chicken.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

99toLife

Quote from: BR on January 26, 2018, 06:54:05 am

Have you cooked in the American Royal? That contest is by far the biggest in the country.

If you like BBQ you gotta go at least once.

BR

Quote from: 99toLife on January 30, 2018, 04:35:03 pm
Have you cooked in the American Royal? That contest is by far the biggest in the country.

If you like BBQ you gotta go at least once.
yes a couple of times, been for at least 15 years

BR

Dinner tonight with conch fritters and some fresh veggies.

Boarcephus

BR

Boarcephus

Quote from: BR on February 02, 2018, 08:21:56 am
conch meat... for fritters.

Those are good.  It would be fun to rent a house down there somewhere where you could actually snorkel out and spear a lobster or snapper, grab a conch and cook it on the grill.  We took a trip one year where I saw a guy do that and I've wanted to do it ever since. 

Boarcephus

Hey Kibster, we just got back from Mardi Gras and we tried Felix's and this was about a sorry a place as I've ever eaten.  We had the gumbo, chargrilled oysters and BBQ Shrimp so we got a pretty good cross section and there was not a single item we got we'd reorder.  When I ordered a BBQ shrimp in NO, I was expecting the garlicy, spicy dish you use bread to sop up the juice with but what we got was basically shrimp in some kind of BBQ sauce.  Enjoy reading your reviews but this didn't work out for us.  Carry on. 

kibster

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 16, 2018, 11:10:12 am
Hey Kibster, we just got back from Mardi Gras and we tried Felix's and this was about a sorry a place as I've ever eaten.  We had the gumbo, chargrilled oysters and BBQ Shrimp so we got a pretty good cross section and there was not a single item we got we'd reorder.  When I ordered a BBQ shrimp in NO, I was expecting the garlicy, spicy dish you use bread to sop up the juice with but what we got was basically shrimp in some kind of BBQ sauce.  Enjoy reading your reviews but this didn't work out for us.  Carry on. 

But how were the chargrilled oysters?  I really hated their gumbo too. Sorry it didn't work out.

And while I didn't cook this, this is what I ate yesterday: 
https://instagram.com/p/BfUEzu0golw/

Boarcephus

Quote from: kibster on February 18, 2018, 12:52:36 pm
But how were the chargrilled oysters?  I really hated their gumbo too. Sorry it didn't work out.

No biggie!  ;)  There was nothing to the oysters, just basically threw them on the grill and cooked them, no toppings, nothing.  They seated us at first at the bar where they were shucking oysters and you now how oysters look when they come in a burlap bag?  They're covered in mud and these were what they were serving for oysters on the half shell and I didn't want to take a chance on eating them raw.  I was still craving food cajun food so we had the couple we went with over yesterday and I made gumbo and BBQ shrimp!  Keep up the good work.:) 

DeltaBoy

The Grill just sitting and waiting cause the bride still so sick she not eating enough to grill.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Boarcephus

Quote from: kibster on February 18, 2018, 12:52:36 pm

Made this a couple days ago and this is my take on how BBQ Shrimp New Orleans style is supposed to be.  Did some freezer diving and came up with shrimp, scallops and little lobster tails. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 29, 2018, 06:49:47 am
Made this a couple days ago and this is my take on how BBQ Shrimp New Orleans style is supposed to be.  Did some freezer diving and came up with shrimp, scallops and little lobster tails. 

Yum Yum

We are under wind and burn ban and that includes grills.  Boo Hiss

oldman1015

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 29, 2018, 06:49:47 am
That looks awesome.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Boarcephus

Made this today on the egg, grilled chicken thighs and stuffed poblano peppers and those peppers are deadly!

kibster

Quote from: Boarcephus on May 21, 2018, 01:09:25 pm
Made this today on the egg, grilled chicken thighs and stuffed poblano peppers and those peppers are deadly!

Imma need that pepper recipe...

Boarcephus

Quote from: kibster on May 21, 2018, 02:34:50 pm
Imma need that pepper recipe...

LOL!!  Here you go, too good not to share. 

Mix 1/2 pound each Jimmy Dean Sausage and lean hamburger meat and 1 TBS minced garlic.  Fry till done, blot the grease and pour into larger mixing bowl. 
Add 1 1/2 blocks Philadelphia Cream Cheese, 1 package Ranch Dressing, 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 1-2 chopped jalapeños, handful of bacon bits and one big glob of mayo.  Stir and mix all together and fill the poblanos.  This will stuff 4 decent size poblano's, this pic shows two of them.   I mixed the remaining half pounds of meat and sausage and will make sausage cheeseburgers tomorrow and will cook the other two poblanos. 

kibster

Quote from: Boarcephus on May 21, 2018, 03:20:49 pm
LOL!!  Here you go, too good not to share. 

Mix 1/2 pound each Jimmy Dean Sausage and lean hamburger meat and 1 TBS minced garlic.  Fry till done, blot the grease and pour into larger mixing bowl. 
Add 1 1/2 blocks Philadelphia Cream Cheese, 1 package Ranch Dressing, 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 1-2 chopped jalapeños, handful of bacon bits and one big glob of mayo.  Stir and mix all together and fill the poblanos.  This will stuff 4 decent size poblano's, this pic shows two of them.   I mixed the remaining half pounds of meat and sausage and will make sausage cheeseburgers tomorrow and will cook the other two poblanos. 

Thanks!  Indirect heat? What temp and for how long?

Boarcephus

Quote from: kibster on May 21, 2018, 03:52:58 pm
Thanks!  Indirect heat? What temp and for how long?

I've started going indirect on several things, especially chicken and ribs. I think for this deal I was at 400 for 15-20 minutes for the peppers.   Now the chicken was about 45-50 minutes or so.   I honestly didn't pay much attention to the peppers because everything was cooked except the pepper itself and when it looked soft I pulled them.

Boarcephus

I made this yesterday.  Not a huge salmon fan but with me being from the south, if there's something you don't really like, season the heck out of it and either fry or sauté that sucker in a cast iron skillet in a little oil and butter!  For this I used a blackening seasoning and did squash and onions in a smaller skillet.  Turned out pretty darn good, for salmon.   ;)

kibster

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 14, 2018, 08:49:52 am
I made this yesterday.  Not a huge salmon fan but with me being from the south, if there's something you don't really like, season the heck out of it and either fry or sauté that sucker in a cast iron skillet in a little oil and butter!  For this I used a blackening seasoning and did squash and onions in a smaller skillet.  Turned out pretty darn good, for salmon.   ;)

Looks great!  Where did you get that second, taller grill grate from?

I smoked ribs and grilled okra on sunday.  Going to cook a flat iron steak, grilled zucchini and sweet potato fries tonight.

Boarcephus

Quote from: kibster on August 14, 2018, 10:21:58 am
Looks great!  Where did you get that second, taller grill grate from?

I smoked ribs and grilled okra on sunday.  Going to cook a flat iron steak, grilled zucchini and sweet potato fries tonight.

Sounds good.

It's called a half-moon raised grid and I bought it when I bought the egg.  I would imagine most BGE distributors will carry it as an accessory, at least the one I bought mine from carried it.  It really comes in handy when you want to get something off the fire or create a little extra room on the cooking surface. 

majestic

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 14, 2018, 08:49:52 am
13 pieces of squash?! Awwwwwmygawddd!!!
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Boarcephus

Quote from: majestic on August 14, 2018, 03:53:20 pm
13 pieces of squash?! Awwwwwmygawddd!!!

LOL!  Maybe 13 x 2 or 3!   I bought a high dollar mandolin at Walmart a few months ago to do my slicing. Those little bastards will bite you in a hurry!

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

kibster

I have got some of my former employees coming over tonight.  I promised them I would cook them a steak dinner once I left the company, so I have some 1.5lb ribeyes I will sous vide then finish off on the egg.

Boarcephus

Quote from: kibster on August 17, 2018, 08:29:42 am
I have got some of my former employees coming over tonight.  I promised them I would cook them a steak dinner once I left the company, so I have some 1.5lb ribeyes I will sous vide then finish off on the egg.

Pretty impressive. I have seen them cook that way on iron chef but that's the only time. But they'll like that!  😄

ImHogginIt

I'm smoking 6 pork butts tomorrow and after using Plowboys Yardbird on my butts the past 6 years I'm gonna try something new. Saw Big Moe Cason's pork rub next to Plowboys at Academy Sports and decided to give Moe a try. Have any of you tried it and if so what did ya think ? There are a limited amount of reviews with some loving it and some saying it is too peppery. I kind of like peppery so we'll see

thebignasty

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 13, 2019, 05:14:48 pm
I'm smoking 6 pork butts tomorrow and after using Plowboys Yardbird on my butts the past 6 years I'm gonna try something new. Saw Big Moe Cason's pork rub next to Plowboys at Academy Sorts and decided to give Moe a try. Have any of you tried it and if so what did ya think ? There are a limited amount of reviews with some loving it and some saying it is too peppery. I kind of like peppery so we'll see

I've bought his bbq sauce a couple of times.  I like the sauce.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

ImHogginIt

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 13, 2019, 05:14:48 pm
I'm smoking 6 pork butts tomorrow and after using Plowboys Yardbird on my butts the past 6 years I'm gonna try something new. Saw Big Moe Cason's pork rub next to Plowboys at Academy Sports and decided to give Moe a try. Have any of you tried it and if so what did ya think ? There are a limited amount of reviews with some loving it and some saying it is too peppery. I kind of like peppery so we'll see

As you can see from the pic there's a lot of pepper in it and it sure smelled and looked awful peppery when I was applying it. I did't go near as heavy as I go with Plowboys. We'll see what we got tonight I guess. I got a feeling mixed with Sweet Baby Ray's sauce it will blend really well on a sammich

ImHogginIt

July 14, 2019, 07:41:40 pm #842 Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:59:54 am by ImHogginIt
Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 14, 2019, 09:48:21 am
As you can see from the pic there's a lot of pepper in it and it sure smelled and looked awful peppery when I was applying it. I did't go near as heavy as I go with Plowboys. We'll see what we got tonight I guess. I got a feeling mixed with Sweet Baby Ray's sauce it will blend really well on a sammich

Verdict is in. It is a little on the peppery side to me. I'm not a big pepper guy but it was a nice robust flavor. The Sweet Baby Rays was excellent the way it blended with it. My wife loves pepper and thought it was very good. She didn't think it was too peppery at all.

Boarcephus

We had friends over Saturday for our annual Bacon and Tomato Sandwich orgy and I made these peppers on the egg.  These things are great!  Also found a new whiskey. Put it in the freezer, put a little ice in a glass and pour it over and that's all you need. 

old hog

Ribeyes and grilled Mexican street corn.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 15, 2019, 03:55:28 pm
We had friends over Saturday for our annual Bacon and Tomato Sandwich orgy and I made these peppers on the egg.  These things are great!  Also found a new whiskey. Put it in the freezer, put a little ice in a glass and pour it over and that's all you need.

The wife keeps her Blue Goose Vodka in the freezer. I ran out of rum the other night and finished off her vodka. That stuff is smooth just like drinking water. I'm currently grounded cause she wanted a drink Sunday and it was all gone  :(

Boarcephus

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 16, 2019, 11:52:41 pm
wanted a drink Sunday and it was all gone  :(

Been there and it's a shame.   :)  On a positive note, I found out not long ago that McAdoodles in Springdale is open on Sunday. I had thought it was a state law not to sell booze on Sunday but it's a city deal.  Now if I can get them to carry Brown Sugar Bourbon I'll be set because as of now, it's not sold in Arkansas and I have to road trip to Pineville, MO.

ua_hogs

First attempt at tri tip over J4.  Was delicious and will be added to the rotation.  Ribs last weekend and reverse seared Ribeye last night!

PharmacistHog

Quote from: ua_hogs on July 17, 2019, 10:34:22 am
First attempt at tri tip over J4.  Was delicious and will be added to the rotation.  Ribs last weekend and reverse seared Ribeye last night!

Nice job.  Looks terrific!
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 17, 2019, 06:39:45 am
Been there and it's a shame.   :)  On a positive note, I found out not long ago that McAdoodles in Springdale is open on Sunday. I had thought it was a state law not to sell booze on Sunday but it's a city deal.  Now if I can get them to carry Brown Sugar Bourbon I'll be set because as of now, it's not sold in Arkansas and I have to road trip to Pineville, MO.
All Springdale stores sell on Sundays.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.