Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We have to have a dual threat QB

Started by Piggfoot, September 23, 2017, 05:12:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Hog Pharm

We scored 43 points and the answer is to get a dual threat QB? Ok.

Hoggie17

Quote from: Hog Pharm on September 23, 2017, 05:13:15 pm
We scored 43 points and the answer is to get a dual threat QB? Ok.
We didn't win. Dual threat QB's are the way to go, remember when hand Jones?

Danny J

We need a more aggressive defensive game plan. I am convinced the bend but don't break D we saw most of the day is all on Bret. Why oh why do we only rush 3 time after time against a true freshman qb who struggles to throw the ball? I understand not wanting to blitz a more experienced qb but why allow Mond to gain confidence? It's the same defensive philosophy we have seen for almost a decade. Bend but don't break. Even then we were giving up huge plays.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 23, 2017, 05:16:54 pm
We didn't win. Dual threat QB's are the way to go, remember when hand Jones?

Sure and I don't remember scoring more than 40 too many times. Fact is we scored 43 and didn't win. Have to look at the defense again. Can't give up 4 plays over 80 yards and expect to win.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: Danny J on September 23, 2017, 05:19:14 pm
We need a more aggressive defensive game plan. I am convinced the bend but don't break D we saw most of the day is all on Bret. Why oh why do we only rush 3 time after time against a true freshman qb who struggles to throw the ball? I understand not wanting to blitz a more experienced qb but why allow Mond to gain confidence? It's the same defensive philosophy we have seen for almost a decade. Bend but don't break. Even then we were giving up huge plays.

THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! I really don't think CBB had anything to do with continuing with 3 down D-linemen but agree Mond should've been on his back or at least forced him into errant throws

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Agreed. We should have loaded the box to stop the run and forced the freshman QB to throw into tight coverage to beat us. Period! Horrible game plan. They do know you could and should gameplan differently for each opponent right?

jm

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 23, 2017, 05:24:39 pm
THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! I really don't think CBB had anything to do with continuing with 3 down D-linemen but agree Mond should've been on his back or at least forced him into errant throws

Why play 7 yards deep at the corners on 4th and 3? The defense is bad by design.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 23, 2017, 05:54:45 pm
I think we got one already. Cole Kelley will be that guy.

I think you are right.  He can definitely get the short yardage when needed, and he did get a passing TD.......I think he will be  very good.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Hoggie17

Quote from: Hog Pharm on September 23, 2017, 05:21:22 pm
Sure and I don't remember scoring more than 40 too many times. Fact is we scored 43 and didn't win. Have to look at the defense again. Can't give up 4 plays over 80 yards and expect to win.
Defense is the best way to prevent scores everyone agrees, but a dual threat like Jones ate up the clock. If the other team doesn't have have the ball they can't score.  When we had Jones at QB he preferred to run.  Today we had big plays that took very little time.

The reasons MS was so successful with Prescott he was a dual threat that ate up the clock and when defense came out they were rested. In the 4th quarter that makes a big difference.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: jm on September 23, 2017, 05:58:51 pm
Why play 7 yards deep at the corners on 4th and 3? The defense is bad by design.
Still playing too soft on short yardage plays. Doesn't make sense to me. Kind of backwards.  Definitely got us beat on A&M's last drive. Not to mention A&M had a freshmen QB. Make him beat you playing tight coverage. Curl is a beast. He got the business from the refs today. If that was a Alabama DB or an A&M DB they don't make that call. Although he really didn't have to or need to do it.

Danny J

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 23, 2017, 05:24:39 pm
The main reason for the bend but don't break is to keep everything in front of you, tackle immediately and wait on a mistake. However if you either A...can't keep the play in front of you or B...tackle well then it's a recipe for disaster and we have witnessed it time after time and year after year. At least we are tackling better. Blown coverages whether through confusion or eyes not being on your man will continue to be a problem and Sumlin continues to exploit it.

Tequilin' Time

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 23, 2017, 05:54:45 pm
I think we got one already. Cole Kelley will be that guy.

YEP,   6'8" 268lb dual threat beast. 

jcbville

September 23, 2017, 06:15:29 pm #14 Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 06:37:43 pm by jcbville
I dont care if you get the mutant love child of Tom Brady and Cam Newton it wont magically fix the key issues we have that make it impossible to excel at the QB position. Or give us a better defense.

Danny J

Not to mention on that play we rushed only 3. Last year against either mizzou or VT they had a 4th and 1 late in game and we dropped back into coverage with a totally different DC calling the game. It's not the coordinators per se it's them running what the HC wants. I saw a lot more life from our offense today with plays we have not seen run before and I am convinced that's all Enos. When we go conservative it's CBB...that's just his style. Remember before halftime in 2010 against LSU? We were what...on our own 10 with just seconds to play? Contrast that to what we saw before halftime today. Your players take on the mentality of their coach. One coach is aggressive and one is conservative. That's why we play not to lose.

Jzilla

3 coordinators later and we still play conservative defense, it's bielema s choice to what we run!!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Jzilla on September 23, 2017, 06:19:39 pm
3 coordinators later and we still play conservative defense, it's bielema s choice to what we run!!
No doubt in my mind. And we're not gonna be as good as we can be until he changes his conservative/scary/passive/non-aggressive mind set.

RebHog

Quote from: Danny J on September 23, 2017, 06:11:55 pm
The main reason for the bend but don't break is to keep everything in front of you, tackle immediately and wait on a mistake. However if you either A...can't keep the play in front of you or B...tackle well then it's a recipe for disaster and we have witnessed it time after time and year after year. At least we are tackling better. Blown coverages whether through confusion or eyes not being on your man will continue to be a problem and Sumlin continues to exploit it.

Well NM this D wouldn't work against a elite QB either. I guess they panned on him being so bad he couldn't throw while he sipped on coffee while surveying the field.  Fresh QB you attack and confuse him period.

majp51

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 23, 2017, 05:12:07 pm
Get Bohanon.

Why not a league average Defense?  I mean even without the supposed magic elixir that is a dual threat QB , Arkansas scored 43 points. A league average Defense would have allowed less points than that.

goodguytex

Special teams and defense are what cost us this game. The INT in OT was just the final nail in our coffin. We could've and should've won this in regulation,if we have some semblance of a competent ST and if our defense could've made some plays. But it's more on special teams in those closing minutes of regulation... You don't let your opponent start a potential tying or game winning drive 20 yards from scoring. Not a recipe for winning a game.

jackflash

Marshfieldhog

Our defense looked like last years, we got smoked today by a 2nd string Freshman QB.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: jackflash on September 23, 2017, 06:32:08 pm
as a defense they should be ashamed
Paul Rhodes and Bret Beilema should be ashamed for continuing to play this soft non-aggressive stuff when it should be clear by now that it doesn't work.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on September 23, 2017, 06:34:03 pm
Our defense looked like last years, we got smoked today by a 2nd string Freshman QB.
Get it right now. 3rd string.

island hog

Watching the TCU game, it looks like we run the almost axact same defense. The difference is that they've been recruiting to the 3-4 for years and their LBs are tailored to it. Ours are t there yet as we're having to mix and match with players from our previous scheme.

RazrRob

Quote from: Jzilla on September 23, 2017, 06:19:39 pm

Nailed it!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: island hog on September 23, 2017, 06:37:39 pm
Watching the TCU game, it looks like we run the almost axact same defense. The difference is that they've been recruiting to the 3-4 for years and their LBs are tailored to it. Ours are t there yet as we're having to mix and match with players from our previous scheme.
It's not the linebackers. It's the soft scheme that continues to get us beat. The talent is there. You can see it.

TNRazorbacker

We also need a coach that runs an offense suited to one.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on September 23, 2017, 06:53:25 pm
We also need a coach that runs an offense suited to one.
Nothing was wrong with the offense today.

Potosihog

My whole family was screaming on this one

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Potosihog on September 23, 2017, 07:13:47 pm
My whole family was screaming on this one
Mines too. It's like dude, you do realize they only need 3 yards?! Jeez...

hehawg

#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

hehawg

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 23, 2017, 06:57:26 pm
Nothing was wrong with the offense today.

Apparently you didn't watch the game
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hehawg on September 23, 2017, 07:31:00 pm
Apparently you didn't watch the game
Yeah, the o-line struggled as usual in pass pro and Allen patted the ball too long but still if you score 43 in regulation you should win.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hehawg on September 23, 2017, 07:29:21 pm
Very doubtful
If you don't think Kelley can be a dual-threat QB after today you must have watched the wrong game. Or just in one of your negative stages.

Josh Goforth

we blitzed and gave up big plays. Have to play coverage some times.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Josh Goforth on September 23, 2017, 07:58:52 pm
we blitzed and gave up big plays. Have to play coverage some times.
Play calling is all about timing and situations on both offense and defense. No way we should be playing 10 yards off the receiver on 3rd and 3 or 4th and 3 giving up uncontested slant routes. Inexcusable.

Piggfoot

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 23, 2017, 07:56:00 pm
If you don't think Kelley can be a dual-threat QB after today you must have watched the wrong game. Or just in one of your negative stages.
I'm not trying to be negative about Kelly but unless the line greatly improves he will be running for his life. He doesn't look as fast as Allen. I don't see him on bootleggs or off tackle runs like more typical duel threats.
He reminds me of a Tebow type QB. Hopefully though he has a better arm. And a better line to protect him.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 23, 2017, 08:17:09 pm
I'm not trying to be negative about Kelly but unless the line greatly improves he will be running for his life. He doesn't look as fast as Allen. I don't see him on bootleggs or off tackle runs like more typical duel threats.
He reminds me of a Tebow type QB. Hopefully though he has a better arm. And a better line to protect him.
He may not be as fast but he is bigger, stronger, has more moves, and has a running back mentality. He's not scared to run.

Would you want Allen doing some of the runs he did today?

Piggfoot

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 23, 2017, 06:35:39 pm
Paul Rhodes and Bret Beilema should be ashamed for continuing to play this soft non-aggressive stuff when it should be clear by now that it doesn't work.
you have to play soft if you don't have any speed

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 23, 2017, 08:19:44 pm
you have to play soft if you don't have any speed
That's what safeties are for.