Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How tough is winning on the road in CBB?

Started by mbgrulz, December 17, 2014, 08:58:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mbgrulz

Quote from: LAHogfan123 on December 19, 2014, 02:39:08 am
Agreed.  I don't think a team deserves an invite to the big dance unless they can win at least 50% of their games on the road.
You do realize that there would not be enough teams to field the tourney if that were the case, right?

This sentiment is the main reason I posted this thread...It seems that since we have been talking about our road struggles, Hog fans are getting the impression that it is a University of Arkansas problem, and not an every non top 10 team problem.

Everybody struggles on the road...good teams just struggle less. We aren't going to win 50% of our road games in all likelihood. But, if we can get 3 more road W's then we'd have 4 for this year. Thats the most since Nolan.

WarPig88

Agreed.  I don't think a team deserves an invite to the big dance unless they can win at least 50% of their games on the road.

So you are for a 16 team field?

-Blu

LOL!  Somebody doesn't watch college basketball. 

LAHogfan123

Quote from: -Blu on December 19, 2014, 12:12:26 pm
LOL!  Somebody doesn't watch college basketball.

I know I'm sick and tired of watching the Hogs lose almost every single game on the road.  I rarely watch College Basketball huh?  I bet if we were together so we each knew the other wasn't cheating I'd be able to tell you not only who was in last years final 4 and was crowned Champions but could tell you that same information going back to the 1973-74 season.  I watch all the games, don't go to many games anymore, just watch them from home and silently gripe about what was once a proud program.  He SEC is downright pitiful this year, and y'all are saying we shouldn't win 50% of our games on the road this year?  If we don't this year, CMA never will here.  The freaking Sunbelt should get more teams in the Tourney this year than the SEC, sure, if we played all of our games at home, we'd have a 65% of winning the NCAA, but we've played terrible on the road so far, with at 1st we thought winning at SMU was a great win now doesn't look so great, and according to what I've read from y'all, winning all our games at home and perhaps 3 on the road getting us in is horseshimp.  If we get in with that record, we'll be blown out 1st round and its time for Mike to go, because next years team sure looks to be dead in the water if Portis and Qualls are lost.

HF#1

We need to win 4 conference road games this year imo.   Anything less and we will need W's in the SEC tournament to make the NCAA tournament.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

WarPig88

Quote from: LAHogfan123 on December 19, 2014, 02:26:45 pm
I know I'm sick and tired of watching the Hogs lose almost every single game on the road.  I rarely watch College Basketball huh?  I bet if we were together so we each knew the other wasn't cheating I'd be able to tell you not only who was in last years final 4 and was crowned Champions but could tell you that same information going back to the 1973-74 season.  I watch all the games, don't go to many games anymore, just watch them from home and silently gripe about what was once a proud program.  He SEC is downright pitiful this year, and y'all are saying we shouldn't win 50% of our games on the road this year?  If we don't this year, CMA never will here.  The freaking Sunbelt should get more teams in the Tourney this year than the SEC, sure, if we played all of our games at home, we'd have a 65% of winning the NCAA, but we've played terrible on the road so far, with at 1st we thought winning at SMU was a great win now doesn't look so great, and according to what I've read from y'all, winning all our games at home and perhaps 3 on the road getting us in is horseshimp.  If we get in with that record, we'll be blown out 1st round and its time for Mike to go, because next years team sure looks to be dead in the water if Portis and Qualls are lost.

The two teams that played for the NC last year had a combined record of 11-9 in road games.

Buy you are trying to say the low water mark is 50%. Can you not understand why it's hard to take that statement seriously?

LAHogfan123

Quote from: WarPig88 on December 19, 2014, 02:39:52 pm
The two teams that played for the NC last year had a combined record of 11-9 in road games.

Buy you are trying to say the low water mark is 50%. Can you not understand why it's hard to take that statement seriously?

No.  Not when talking about our team I can't.  The SEC was better last year than a lot of National pundits would give us credit for, and I'll go on record and say we were a young team last year and still half stocked with Pel's players.  This year we are almost full of CMA's recruits, they should be able to win at least 50% of their road games this year, if they can't do that, what makes you think they're going to win a game in the SEC Tourney, which last time I checked, was a road game?  A lot of y'all call the games held in Little Rock road games, which draws bigger crowds than BWA does anymore which is sad, but true.  If they struggle when playing the supposed (road game in Little Rock), then they're going to get beat as usual in the 1st round of the SEC Tournament, which is most definetly a road game.

We need to go into the SEC Tournament this year with a 50% or higher road win %, or we'll be a bubble team for sure.  I was truly hoping this year of Mike's tenure we'd be a 5 or 6 seed in the NCAA's, y'all are not appearing to even think we should deserve that by now.  I'm as disappointed in the fan base, at least what I see on here, as I am in Coaching.

mbgrulz

La, you realize that if we win out at BWA and win 3 SEC road games we'll have 23 W's? It's EXTREMELY rare to get left out when you have 23 W's from a P5 conference.

mbgrulz

Quote from: LAHogfan123 on December 19, 2014, 03:32:25 pm
No.  Not when talking about our team I can't.  The SEC was better last year than a lot of National pundits would give us credit for, and I'll go on record and say we were a young team last year and still half stocked with Pel's players.  This year we are almost full of CMA's recruits, they should be able to win at least 50% of their road games this year, if they can't do that, what makes you think they're going to win a game in the SEC Tourney, which last time I checked, was a road game?  A lot of y'all call the games held in Little Rock road games, which draws bigger crowds than BWA does anymore which is sad, but true.  If they struggle when playing the supposed (road game in Little Rock), then they're going to get beat as usual in the 1st round of the SEC Tournament, which is most definetly a road game.

We need to go into the SEC Tournament this year with a 50% or higher road win %, or we'll be a bubble team for sure.  I was truly hoping this year of Mike's tenure we'd be a 5 or 6 seed in the NCAA's, y'all are not appearing to even think we should deserve that by now.  I'm as disappointed in the fan base, at least what I see on here, as I am in Coaching.
Which of Pels players was here last year and is now gone? Forget half the roster, name 1.

We lost Coty Clarke, who was a CMA recruit.

Fayettechill14

It's been said, but I think officiating in college basketball really favors the home team. Like, way more than in any other sport.

Combine that with the fact that hitting jump shots is harder in a hostile environment and you have a recipe for craziness. That win at SMU is going to look good later, and the loss to Clemson really wasn't the end of the world. Now we have to win AT LEAST 3 and probably 4-5 SEC road games.

Wild Bill Hog

The key is to do enough that 3 or 4 road losses don't hurt you.  KY last year is a prime example of this.  They had some road losses (don't know how many) but weren't hurt by them.  No one remembers where or how many they lost away from Rupp.  On the other hand, we well remember the Bama and USC-E losses and what they cost us.  We had nothing to offset them.  A team needs to avoid the trap of having a specific must win road game.

jkstock04

While realizing the SEC as a whole plays poorly on the road vs. other major conferences (SEC not a good bball conference)....without looking up data I would still wager the Hogs over the past few years are one of the worst in college basketball playing on the road.

Call me crazy but I find it hard to believe that stat can be 100% explained away by blaming the refs. Several times last year we looked so lethargic and uncaring in road games it was embarrassing to watch. Jeckyl and Hyde difference in play at home vs. the road....and I'm talking about effort and energy...we just didn't have it playing on the road for whatever reason.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

-Blu

If we don't this year, CMA never will here.  The freaking Sunbelt should get more teams in the Tourney this year than the SEC, sure, if we played all of our games at home, we'd have a 65% of winning the NCAA, but we've played terrible on the road so far, with at 1st we thought winning at SMU was a great win now doesn't look so great, and according to what I've read from y'all, winning all our games at home and perhaps 3 on the road getting us in is horseshimp.  If we get in with that record, we'll be blown out 1st round and its time for Mike to go, because next years team sure looks to be dead in the water if Portis and Qualls are lost.

Ok, not going to lie, I didn't read the part about 1973 or whatever else year you were talking about because that has absolutely nothing to do with playing on the road in today's college basketball.

And I'm not trying to be rude or a jerk, but saying a requirement to make the NCAA tournament should be 50% road wins is beyond ridiculous, you may only have 15-20 teams in the country that meet that qualification.  And now your saying the Sunbelt is a better conference than the SEC?  Come on man, you can easily google this information before you post.

Sunbelt is currently 32-43 and ranked the 25th conference by RPI
SEC is currently 84-42 and ranked the 3rd best conference by RPI

That's not even comparable man....

http://www.rpiforecast.com/confs/SB.html
http://www.rpiforecast.com/confs/SEC.html

LAHogfan123

Quote from: -Blu on December 19, 2014, 10:17:40 pm
Ok, not going to lie, I didn't read the part about 1973 or whatever else year you were talking about because that has absolutely nothing to do with playing on the road in today's college basketball.

And I'm not trying to be rude or a jerk, but saying a requirement to make the NCAA tournament should be 50% road wins is beyond ridiculous, you may only have 15-20 teams in the country that meet that qualification.  And now your saying the Sunbelt is a better conference than the SEC?  Come on man, you can easily google this information before you post.

Sunbelt is currently 32-43 and ranked the 25th conference by RPI
SEC is currently 84-42 and ranked the 3rd best conference by RPI

That's not even comparable man....

http://www.rpiforecast.com/confs/SB.html
http://www.rpiforecast.com/confs/SEC.html

Where in hell did I say the Sunbelt was better than the SEC?  I didn't, but you take a weak Sunbelt team like Arky State and they blow out Mississippi State that sure makes the SEC look stronger than the Sunbelt right now.   Western Kentucky of the Sunbelt beat 7-3 Ole Miss.  Auburn has to be one of the worst teams in the Nation, please let us beat them by 50 because Arky State or UALR would beat them.  So two SEC teams that's played Sunbelt teams have lost, that's all I'm saying. 

-Blu

Quote from: LAHogfan123 on December 19, 2014, 11:07:52 pm
Where in hell did I say the Sunbelt was better than the SEC? 

The freaking Sunbelt should get more teams in the Tourney this year than the SEC,

Your all over the place man.... I'm done talking to you.

GolfNut57

Quote from: LAHogfan123 on December 19, 2014, 11:07:52 pm
Where in hell did I say the Sunbelt was better than the SEC?  I didn't, but you take a weak Sunbelt team like Arky State and they blow out Mississippi State that sure makes the SEC look stronger than the Sunbelt right now.   Western Kentucky of the Sunbelt beat 7-3 Ole Miss.  Auburn has to be one of the worst teams in the Nation, please let us beat them by 50 because Arky State or UALR would beat them.  So two SEC teams that's played Sunbelt teams have lost, that's all I'm saying.

WKU is in the CUSA, not the Sunbelt.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

LAHogfan123

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 20, 2014, 01:20:58 am
WKU is in the CUSA, not the Sunbelt.

Yeppers, swing and a miss. Thanks for the correction.