Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How tough is winning on the road in CBB?

Started by mbgrulz, December 17, 2014, 08:58:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mbgrulz

Road teams in CBB have the lowest winning % in ALL OF SPORTS. It's somewhere around .340, and in the SEC its around .250! 

I think its important to keep this in mind when discussing our road woes. Sure, we crap the bed on the road a lot, but so does everybody else.

Heath topped out at 3 road W's...Pel peaked at 2...Anderson got 3 W's last year, and has 1 this year with 9 roadies to go...

We should have beaten Clemson, and that one stings like hell, but going forward, we don't need to act like we suck every time we lose on the road. Statistics say that it is going to happen more times than not.

We have 9 road games left...If we win 3 of them and sweep BWA, then we'll be in the tournament with 25 W's. We could probably even drop 1 at home because 24 W's is getting you in the dance. 

PonderinHog

I think we'd have to win five road games to get to 25 wins.

mbgrulz

You're right...I was counting the exhibition games!

mbgrulz

I just looked up the best record to ever be left out of the tournament, and that was Va Tech in 2010...They were 23-8.

DeltaBoy

For the past 8-10 years winning on the Road has become much harder.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PonderinHog

Sportster365

Does anyone know if the traveling team gets a chance to workout in the gym they'll be playing in prior to the game?

hogfan10

Quote from: mbgrulz on December 17, 2014, 08:58:36 am
Road teams in CBB have the lowest winning % in ALL OF SPORTS. It's somewhere around .340, and in the SEC its around .250! 

I think its important to keep this in mind when discussing our road woes. Sure, we crap the bed on the road a lot, but so does everybody else.

Heath topped out at 3 road W's...Pel peaked at 2...Anderson got 3 W's last year, and has 1 this year with 9 roadies to go...

We should have beaten Clemson, and that one stings like hell, but going forward, we don't need to act like we suck every time we lose on the road. Statistics say that it is going to happen more times than not.

We have 9 road games left...If we win 3 of them and sweep BWA, then we'll be in the tournament with 25 W's. We could probably even drop 1 at home because 24 W's is getting you in the dance. 

Winning on the road is very difficult, and in my opinion it is because the refs tend to call the games in favor of how the home team likes to play.
What is upsetting about our road woes, is that we don't seem to try and mitigate the damage of inconsistent refs (home vs. away), by adjusting our style of play by just a little bit.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogfan10 on December 17, 2014, 10:37:42 am
Winning on the road is very difficult, and in my opinion it is because the refs tend to call the games in favor of how the home team likes to play.
What is upsetting about our road woes, is that we don't seem to try and mitigate the damage of inconsistent refs (home vs. away), by adjusting our style of play by just a little bit.
None sense. you have to be who you are if you are on the road or at home. you can't change to a slowdown style, just because you are on the road. our main problem on the road has been the refs letting the other team live at the foul line.and late game turnovers. this team will win on the road when the game is called fair.

Atlhogfan1

This formula of winning a handful on the road is fine for taking the next step of making the NCAAT.  Winning a conference tourney game again could help too.  And we have discussed on here before how SEC basketball as become too slanted towards the home team. 

However, we don't want to be like most everybody else in the long term and this will go back to the criticism of Mike.  I think the majority wants to begin seeing more than just making the NCAAT and gain a belief that winning games in the NCAAT is consistently probable.  If his road history of horrible losses continues, it will affect seeding. And he has had his NIT trip in a season that should have ended in an NCAAT trip.  He is on the same progress pace as Heath in that sense although we decided not to participate in the NIT after Heath's 3rd season.  Road losses shouldn't send this program back to an NIT anytime soon. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 17, 2014, 10:53:40 am
This formula of winning a handful on the road is fine for taking the next step of making the NCAAT.  Winning a conference tourney game again could help too.  And we have discussed on here before how SEC basketball as become too slanted towards the home team. 

However, we don't want to be like most everybody else in the long term and this will go back to the criticism of Mike.  I think the majority wants to begin seeing more than just making the NCAAT and gain a belief that winning games in the NCAAT is consistently probable.  If his road history of horrible losses continues, it will affect seeding. And he has had his NIT trip in a season that should have ended in an NCAAT trip.  He is on the same progress pace as Heath in that sense although we decided not to participate in the NIT after Heath's 3rd season.  Road losses shouldn't send this program back to an NIT anytime soon. 
We will win some more games on the road this year. the program is back.and i have faith in this team at home and on the road. Mike Anderson will get the job done.

LA Football fan

Winning on the road is tough because refs just have too much of a bias for the home team all across the country.  Clemson won in part because two refs were in love with the whistle on their offensive end.  We play that game on a neutral site and we win going away.  Until the NCAA assigns neutral officials to all NCAA games you are going to continue to have that bias in officiating.

All it takes is two quick fouls on your best player and then your playing with one hand behind your back.  In football it would be like having to sit your qb or rb for half the first half due to penalties called by the refs.  It wouldn't take long for that to happen and see football have the same problems winning on the road as basketball.  Basketball refs have way more influence on the outcome of a basketball game due to that reason.  Sometimes it is not so much how many fouls they call but how quickly they call them on your best player.

hogfan10

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 17, 2014, 10:52:26 am
None sense. you have to be who you are if you are on the road or at home. you can't change to a slowdown style, just because you are on the road. our main problem on the road has been the refs letting the other team live at the foul line.and late game turnovers. this team will win on the road when the game is called fair.

Did you even read my post? I wonder why other teams live on the FT line when we play away games? Could it be because we're unwilling to make some adjustments?
Nobody is saying change our philosophy completely, but maybe just be a little smarter in how we use it on the road.

mhuff

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 17, 2014, 09:03:09 am

Five or six..... has to be an aberration. I don't think we go undefeated in BWA. I am saying 24 wins counting the SECT. That's been my story ,and I am sticking to it.

azhog10

Quote from: Sportster365 on December 17, 2014, 10:32:13 am
Does anyone know if the traveling team gets a chance to workout in the gym they'll be playing in prior to the game?
Yes they should. Normally a gameday warmup at the gym you are playing in, is afforded to you. If you are there a day or two before the game, your practice may take place in an alternate gym. But since U of A doesn't really have one, I would imagine that all visiting teams get practice time in the gym.

Sportster365

The refs may play some roll in the outcome but for the most part it's the home teams familiarity with their home court. I was near lights out when playing on goals in my own backyard just as most folks are.

If visiting teams had the opportunity to run the court to adjust and get a feel for the court a few hours prior to the game just might help even the playing field some.

cityhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 17, 2014, 10:52:26 am
Which will never happen (refs calling fair on the road) which is why I have my doubts we will ever win with any type of certainty on the road with this system. It just screams 'call many fouls' because it's so chaotic.

40MINSOFHELL

Must be tough, guess that's why kentucky has played all their games at home except one. Lol

Sportster365

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on December 17, 2014, 12:17:19 pm
Must be tough, guess that's why kentucky has played all their games at home except one. Lol

are you seriously comparing the talent Arkansas has to that of Kentucky

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: Sportster365 on December 17, 2014, 12:24:28 pm
Nope said nothing about talent.

hogfan10

Quote from: Sportster365 on December 17, 2014, 12:04:17 pm
The refs may play some roll in the outcome but for the most part it's the home teams familiarity with their home court. I was near lights out when playing on goals in my own backyard just as most folks are.

If visiting teams had the opportunity to run the court to adjust and get a feel for the court a few hours prior to the game just might help even the playing field some.

Are other schools courts made of a different material, are the courts a different size, are the goals (rims,backboard,height) not regulated? With the exception of some small colleges/high schools that have all sort of lines on the court, there shouldn't be any difference from court to court. Same for football and baseball (unless your an OF/C/3B/1B).

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogfan10 on December 17, 2014, 01:36:11 pm
Are other schools courts made of a different material, are the courts a different size, are the goals (rims,backboard,height) not regulated? With the exception of some small colleges/high schools that have all sort of lines on the court, there shouldn't be any difference from court to court. Same for football and baseball (unless your an OF/C/3B/1B).

In my experience, there were goals at gyms I shot better at than others...even though they were "regulated." Lighting, depth perception, etc. all played a factor.

Danny J

Its tough to win on the road with consistency.

gmarv

I do think we have a good chance to go undefeated at home.i would be happy with 4 road wins (I think we can,i think we can).I just think theres 4 teams in the sec worse than smu. guess we,ll see.by the by look at the schedule and tell me who you really thinks gonna beat us in the bud if no flukes happen we got a real shot at running the table at home.

hogfan10

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 17, 2014, 01:40:03 pm
In my experience, there were goals at gyms I shot better at than others...even though they were "regulated." Lighting, depth perception, etc. all played a factor.

Isn't that what shoot arounds are for? Sure there's an adjustment to the surroundings/rims/etc., but these guys have played in all sorts of different atmospheres and should be able to adjust rather quickly.

Sportster365

Quote from: hogfan10 on December 17, 2014, 04:18:11 pm
Isn't that what shoot arounds are for? Sure there's an adjustment to the surroundings/rims/etc., but these guys have played in all sorts of different atmospheres and should be able to adjust rather quickly.

Anyone who's ever played a little Basketball knows it makes a difference in your shot. And most logical explanation for the glaring differences in Home/Away Wins/Losses. At least more so than blaming refs.

ricepig

Quote from: hogfan10 on December 17, 2014, 04:18:11 pm

Shoot, Scottie makes a half court shot on the road before every road game, just throws it up there underhanded.

As far as different venues, I remember playing in an arena the first time. It was a lot different than the block wall 4ft behind the goal, haha.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: hogfan10 on December 17, 2014, 01:36:11 pm

Every rim shoots differently, some have lighting problems (ole miss), it's not as bad at the major college level as it is in HS or small college. Weekday road games in college are much worst, IMO than weekend ones. I remember in HS the coach would go around and find dead spots in the floor and that's where we would trap the hardest. LOL. The major difference is in the way the game is officiated. It human nature when the home team goes on a run for the refs to swallow the whistle. That ain't changing.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

hogfan10

Quote from: Sportster365 on December 17, 2014, 05:31:27 pm
Anyone who's ever played a little Basketball knows it makes a difference in your shot. And most logical explanation for the glaring differences in Home/Away Wins/Losses. At least more so than blaming refs.

I disagree. I'll acknowledge that some site lines might be different, but these kids grow up playing in all types of gyms/arenas. I can see playing somewhere like Vanderbilt (with an elevated floor) or in a dome (which should affect both teams) taking a little more adjustment. Other than those I don't see much difference from venue to venue.
Officials on the other hand can change vastly from game to game, or venue to venue; they're human and not a constant.

I do agree, though, that if you've only played a little basketball the adjustment could be difficult.

hogfan10

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on December 17, 2014, 05:53:11 pm
Every rim shoots differently, some have lighting problems (ole miss), it's not as bad at the major college level as it is in HS or small college. Weekday road games in college are much worst, IMO than weekend ones. I remember in HS the coach would go around and find dead spots in the floor and that's where we would trap the hardest. LOL. The major difference is in the way the game is officiated. It human nature when the home team goes on a run for the refs to swallow the whistle. That ain't changing.

I think we basically agree. Difference in officiating is the major difference.

Kevin

Division 1 programs usually travel to the town the evening before.  Sometimes they are able to get a hour or little more in the arena that night.

They will get an hour shoot around at the arena the day of the game.  If night game, usually at noon.

Each place is a little different. All floor are now portable, so they all have different dead spots. The backdrop is different, so getting used to that is important

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

secfan30

Quote from: Sportster365 on December 17, 2014, 12:24:28 pm

Somehow you got talent out of home/road games?

secfan30

Quote from: hogfan10 on December 17, 2014, 06:17:08 pm
I disagree. I'll acknowledge that some site lines might be different, but these kids grow up playing in all types of gyms/arenas. I can see playing somewhere like Vanderbilt (with an elevated floor) or in a dome (which should affect both teams) taking a little more adjustment. Other than those I don't see much difference from venue to venue.
Officials on the other hand can change vastly from game to game, or venue to venue; they're human and not a constant.

I do agree, though, that if you've only played a little basketball the adjustment could be difficult.

Refs make a huge difference. I got to the point of talking to the refs before games and ask them how tight they were calling it so hopefully I'd get an idea of how to play. Funny how many of them, once they got to know me, would respond with the truth.

BadHog

Officiating in basketball is much more subjective than other sports. Therefore there will always be bias on the part of the refs.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

3of5-2

Wasn't hard for Arkansas State tonight against a SEC team. Both teams were bad though.

passinghog

Officiating is such a big factor in playing on the road. College basketball officiating is just horrible. Putrid.

forrest city joe

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 17, 2014, 07:54:45 pm
Wasn't hard for Arkansas State tonight against a SEC team. Both teams were bad though.
Arkansas won at Miss.State last year. nice try hater.

HogFaninMemphis

A mark of insanity is trying the same style every single road game and continually seeing it fail. At home, the refs are on our side and we can play our slappy style of play. On the road, they're on the other team's side. We can't run the same style on the road, because it simply doesn't work. You guys really think we just need to improve? We were really solid last year and still almost went winless on the road. Other teams have bad road records but not nearly as bad as ours.
If you want to win more road games, play more zone, force them away from the rim, and defend the 3 competently. Teams that do this are much more successful, because the home team is going to get a ton of calls on drives. Eliminate the drive and don't run as much man-to-man (we're not that good at it, let's be honest) and I expect to see more W's.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

MississippiHawg

Don't get me wrong I love it and am a 100% believer in CMA's system but we are team that relies on big momentum swings. Playing at home, even a mediocre BWA crowd can get rowdy. When we hit our spurts and create that momentum swing you can tell how much the players respond to that. I believe on the road, that lack of crowd behind our backs hurts us, especially during that last 5 minute push that seems to either make or break the game for the Hogs. I think with the senior leadership and the bad taste that Clemson left in our mouths that we shouldn't lose more than 2 road games besides @Kentucky and @Florida in the SEC. Tennessee is a tough road matchup which could be one of those 2 extra loses on the SEC schedule. Four loss SEC record would be great for a team who is overachieving with the level of talent we have.

arkansas1994

Arkansas gets mentioned more about losing on the road than most teams because under Mike Anderson we have the largest gap of winning percentage for home and road records than anyone in the country. They even talked about that on the game against Dayton.

MountieDawg

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on December 17, 2014, 12:17:19 pm

It could be that the revenue paid to teams coming to UK is unmatched. Only place in the country your are guaranteed to play in front of 20,000 plus fans. Plus their minimum price ticket goes from $37 to $77 for marquee games. Can you imagine how many fans would show up for $77 a ticket basketball games at BWA. Not to mention UK has played a top 10 schedule including Providence, Kansas, North Carolina and Texas. They play UCLA this weekend in Chicago and Louisville next weekend at Louisville. They aren't dodging anyone.
SEC!

Sportster365

Quote from: hogfan10 on December 17, 2014, 06:17:08 pm

The difference being the home team having taken hundreds of shots at those rims and have a much better feel for the court. It's not a major difference but it's got to be the GCF in why most college teams struggle on the road.

Someone stated the average CBB road win percentage is at 34%, teams are losing 6/9 of their road games. If the refs were making that much of a difference in the outcome of these games then it would have been addressed openly by now.

The stats show, teams generally yield higher fg% at home than on the road.

The_Iceman

Fans do have an influence on officials on the road. As someone who ref'd some intramurals in college, I know that it can be hard when a group of fans are right behind you yelling at you to make a call.

Sportster365

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 18, 2014, 10:13:55 am
Fans do have an influence on officials on the road. As someone who ref'd some intramurals in college, I know that it can be hard when a group of fans are right behind you yelling at you to make a call.

there's no debating that. of course refs are influenced at times by crowds, players and coaches, but we're talking a trend of 66% of games played road teams are losing. That number goes beyond what refs are capable of doing without it becoming obvious and clearly a problem.

hogfan10

Quote from: Sportster365 on December 18, 2014, 10:06:09 am
The difference being the home team having taken hundreds of shots at those rims and have a much better feel for the court. It's not a major difference but it's got to be the GCF in why most college teams struggle on the road.

No, most teams have a basketball practice facility, and take hundreds of shots at those rims. That's also the floor, atmosphere, etc. that they practice on/in 90% of the time.

WarPig88

Boy you can tell the guys who actually understand all the finer points of basketball and what it takes to be successful by reading this thread.

No, not all courts are the same in terms of becoming comfortable just because they are the same dimensionally. Vanderbilt is a tough place to play simply because of the location of the benches for example.

A shoot around is not enough time to get fully acclimated to a gym either. Not even close. Some goals are looser than others and some are extremely tight even though they are same dimensionally.

Finally, the home team shoots way more free throws on average than does the visitor. This is regardless of style of play for those whining about adjustments.

It's tough to win on the road period. It's even tougher inside this conference.

Personally, I believe it to be a product of poor officiating more than anything.

hogfan10

Quote from: WarPig88 on December 18, 2014, 10:34:58 am
Boy you can tell the guys who actually understand all the finer points of basketball and what it takes to be successful by reading this thread.

No, not all courts are the same in terms of becoming comfortable just because they are the same dimensionally. Vanderbilt is a tough place to play simply because of the location of the benches for example.

A shoot around is not enough time to get fully acclimated to a gym either. Not even close. Some goals are looser than others and some are extremely tight even though they are same dimensionally.

Finally, the home team shoots way more free throws on average than does the visitor. This is regardless of style of play for those whining about adjustments.

It's tough to win on the road period. It's even tougher inside this conference.

Personally, I believe it to be a product of poor officiating more than anything.

Not sure if I'm one of the "know nothing posters" you're referring to, but I think you've just restated everything I've said in this thread.

WarPig88

Quote from: Sportster365 on December 18, 2014, 10:26:08 am
there's no debating that. of course refs are influenced at times by crowds, players and coaches, but we're talking a trend of 66% of games played road teams are losing. That number goes beyond what refs are capable of doing without it becoming obvious and clearly a problem.

No it doesn't. Bad reffing is never a problem.

There is ZERO accountability for referees. They police themselves for crying out loud.

A referee just needs to make ONE call in a critical moment of a close game to swing the tide. TWO bad calls early on a key players changes makes that player much more tentative for the rest of the game in most cases.

No calls are just as bad also. A lot of damage is done when whistles aren't being blown as well.

Referees can do so much without it being that noticeable it isn't even funny.

WarPig88

Quote from: hogfan10 on December 18, 2014, 11:54:18 am
Not sure if I'm one of the "know nothing posters" you're referring to, but I think you've just restated everything I've said in this thread.

LOL

It is just coincidence that my post was following yours. :)

LAHogfan123

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 17, 2014, 09:03:09 am

Agreed.  I don't think a team deserves an invite to the big dance unless they can win at least 50% of their games on the road.