Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Muschamp to Auburn

Started by redeye, December 12, 2014, 09:23:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 12, 2014, 10:49:38 pm
Most folks would chop their own arm off for $1.6 million, which is what they're paying him.

And not a surprising salary.  The post was right on.  We were told that no DC worth anything would kill his career under that type of offense.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

MiHogsMi

Quote from: rusvegashog on December 12, 2014, 10:53:05 pm
What's coach Robb Smith making?

It ain't $1.6 mill; nor should it be even close.  Muschamp brings a lot to the table besides just being a DC.  I suspect he will bring in big time defensive recruits.  I also figure he is Auburn's head coach in waiting when Gus gets offered an NFL head coaching job; which will happen sooner or later.  One of my hometown (Fort Smith) boys done good!!  Too bad we missed out.
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

MiHogsMi

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 12, 2014, 10:22:33 pm
Good defenses on HUNH teams are hard to find. Even good defensive coordinators fail. We'll see if Muschamp can break the trend.

Gee, I wonder if you can pass this on to Muschamp.  I'll bet he doesn't have any idea he just set himself up to fail working on a HUNH team.  If only he had a chance to consult with you before he accepted the job, he might have saved himself from a horrible career move. 
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

hogwild210

Quote from: MiHogsMi on December 12, 2014, 11:05:57 pm
Gee, I wonder if you can pass this on to Muschamp.  I'll bet he doesn't have any idea he just set himself up to fail working on a HUNH team.  If only he had a chance to consult with you before he accepted the job, he might have saved himself from a horrible career move.

I won't speak for Chill, but he'd probably prefer to leave speculation on a message board. You know, the purpose of these things?
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

870hogfan

Quote from: MiHogsMi on December 12, 2014, 10:57:14 pm
It ain't $1.6 mill; nor should it be even close.  Muschamp brings a lot to the table besides just being a DC.  I suspect he will bring in big time defensive recruits.  I also figure he is Auburn's head coach in waiting when Gus gets offered an NFL head coaching job; which will happen sooner or later.  One of my hometown (Fort Smith) boys done good!!  Too bad we missed out.

Rather have Bielema...

rusvegashog

Yeah but it appears that we've won the lottery w coach Smith. I'm a fan for sure. I wanted Malzahn as well, but I'm happy w coach B and the direction of this program. I thought the whole uncommon man was nothing more than a PR type of deal, but I really think coach has changed and created the RIGHT culture on the hill. The Razorbacks future is bright and we should be amped about our coach and the state of our program. WPS!

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 12, 2014, 10:54:57 pm
And not a surprising salary.  The post was right on.  We were told that no DC worth anything would kill his career under that type of offense.

By who? All I've said is that I'm skeptical it will actually work.

redeye

Muschamp recruited well when he first arrived to Florida, because it was Florida.  But Florida only finished 9th last year, which is bad for them, and then this year has been a total disaster from the get-go.  Since he struggled to recruit at Florida, I'm gonna hold off before I name him a recruiting genius at Auburn.

And I hope you're right about him being next in line at Auburn, but I doubt you are.

Jamie Jones

At 1.7M a season, what happens if they don't make the playoff? Who is to blame and how can Auburn continue to pay buyouts? Muschamp is a good DC, but is he 1.7M a year good? Is anyone? I love playing the best and winning. Nothing to brag about by beating up on alsorans. This is going to be interesting to watch. Gus has NO excuse for failing now. Let the games begin.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

hoglady

The SEC West just keeps getting tougher and tougher.
Muschamp is a much more formidable coach as the DC at Auburn than he ever was the head coach at Florida. He has landed back in his wheelhouse.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Calling All Hogs

Good hire for Auburn but so was Ellis Johnson and that didn't work out too well. I doubt very many Arkansas fans would be jumping for joy if we hired Muschamp and let Robb Smith go.  Arkansas may have 99 problems but our DC ain't one of them.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: uncle bubs on December 12, 2014, 09:38:43 pm
Auburn's fixin' to be very dangerous. I was really hoping he'd go to USCe.

Heard the same crap about Ellis Johnson. 

Jamie Jones

I can see a Buddy Ryan vs Kevin Childress type of relationship developing in Auburn. It would be epic.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

scruf

Quote from: MiHogsMi on December 12, 2014, 10:44:23 pm
Absolutely not possible.  The Hogville experts assure me no quality defensive coordinator would ever work for Gus.  Gus is just a "high school" coach; right?  You know...gimmicky, lucky, cheater.  Right?

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 12, 2014, 09:24:59 pm
But we were told that Gus wouldn't hire a guy like Muschamp.

Strawman arguments out in full effect. No one on here ever said this. Also, this thread belongs squarely in the SEC Sports forum.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 12, 2014, 09:41:57 pm
I think he's a good coach. The situation down at Florida just didn't work out for him.

The operative word in your post is "good". He's not a great coach and he's a very mediocre head coach. He'll do just fine at Auburn.

gawntrail

Two thoughts....

Muschamp:  Why did he leave Texas?  Did he run out of patience or did Texas?

Gus: With the athleticism at QB in college, Gus is a good prospect for an NFL job.  Too many bust QBs in the league and not enough prototypical pocket passer types in the pipeline.  Gus could go to a team looking to remake itself and have quite a bit of success. 

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: gawntrail on December 13, 2014, 06:41:40 am
Two thoughts....

Muschamp:  Why did he leave Texas?  Did he run out of patience or did Texas?

Gus: With the athleticism at QB in college, Gus is a good prospect for an NFL job.  Too many bust QBs in the league and not enough prototypical pocket passer types in the pipeline.  Gus could go to a team looking to remake itself and have quite a bit of success.

Ill never say never, but it will be a LONG time before Gus goes pro. How many college coaches have went pro in recent years and failed versus those that have succeeded?

I can think of way more that went and failed and made their way back to college. He wont leave unless hes won AT LEAST 1 CFB playoff

Pig In The City

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 12, 2014, 10:22:33 pm
Good defenses on HUNH teams are hard to find. Even good defensive coordinators fail. We'll see if Muschamp can break the trend.

good point

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: AubFaninArk on December 12, 2014, 09:59:09 pm
Secondary coach Tavarious Robinson coming with him from Florida.  Only one I've heard so far.  Rumors are Garner staying, all other defensive coaches are out.

Ironic in that when Gussy Poo was an assistant at Arkansas he was mad when his boss decided to bring in someone else and he could have stayed yet he skipped town for Tulsa instead of staying, although he told his former players to tough it out, yet now as the boss he don't mind canning assistants.................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

December 13, 2014, 07:57:43 am #70 Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 09:02:08 am by Inhogswetrust

Is he really known as a good recruiter or is it because of where he's been? Head coaches do recruit and his record at Florida wasn't that great. He did have good D's at Auburn and Florida before but he brings nothing else to the table besides being a good DC.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

grayhawg

I wonder does Muschamp think he is not Head Coach material or does he have a serious lack of ambition?

AubFaninArk

Quote from: hogz11 on December 13, 2014, 12:53:20 am
Listen guys.......I for one think it's pretty simple. If the staple of your team is a HUNH offense, you are not going to have a dominant defense. The dominant defenses you see in football are supported by an offense that can effectively operate while allowing the defense to rest.

If your offense is 90 to nothing (whether they are scoring or not) you will have a tired defense that is on the field a lot. The main reason the Razorbacks defense was great at times this year was the offense's ability to limit the number of plays the defense was on the field.

Not rocket science....

Auburn defense was on the field 30 more plays than the Arkansas defense for the year...or an average of about 2 per game.  Your analysis might work better with someone like Baylor...but not Auburn.

Inhogswetrust

It's always been funny to me that people talk about these great coordinators yet they couldn't name most of them and don't know what teams have the top D's.

Well here are the top 20 D's according to the NCAA: How many of these teams DC's can you name?

1   Clemson   
2   Penn St.   
3   UCF   
4   Wisconsin   
5   Stanford   
6   Louisville   
7   Michigan St.   
8   LSU      
9   Florida   
10   Michigan   
11   Alabama   
12   Boston College   
13   Ole Miss   
14   Miami (FL)   
15   Ohio St.   
16   Central Mich.   
17   Virginia Tech   
18   Iowa      
19   Houston   
20   Georgia

P.S. Arkansas is #24.   

grayhawg

Quote from: AubFaninArk on December 13, 2014, 08:44:05 am
Auburn defense was on the field 30 more plays than the Arkansas defense for the year...or an average of about 2 per game.  Your analysis might work better with someone like Baylor...but not Auburn.
That was not by design, Malzahn wants to be the fastest offence in football.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/07/gus_malzahns_goal_make_auburns.html

Opposing defences were the reason for being slower than Gus wanted.

texas tush hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 12, 2014, 09:37:59 pm
Gonna make somewhere around $1.7 million per year.

Price of poker (Robb Smith) just went off the charts.

AubFaninArk

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 13, 2014, 09:00:23 am
It's always been funny to me that people talk about these great coordinators yet they couldn't name most of them and don't know what teams have the top D's.

Well here are the top 20 D's according to the NCAA: How many of these teams DC's can you name?

Fun exercise...I may know more than I might normally because of our recent search at Coordinator.

1   Clemson-Venables
2   Penn St.- Shoop
3   UCF   
4   Wisconsin   
5   Stanford   
6   Louisville-Grantham
7   Michigan St.   
8   LSU-Big Chief   
9   Florida-Durkin   
10   Michigan   
11   Alabama-Smart
12   Boston College   
13   Ole Miss-Wommack
14   Miami (FL)   
15   Ohio St.-Ash   
16   Central Mich.   
17   Virginia Tech-Foster   
18   Iowa      
19   Houston   
20   Georgia-Pruiett

P.S. Arkansas is #24.   

opineonswine

I'm VERY surprised.  A potty mouthed yeller and screamer that likes to say Boom MF on Gus' staff??  VERY surprised.

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on December 13, 2014, 09:04:07 am
Price of poker (Robb Smith) just went off the charts.

Nope, we won't pay much more than half of that.

AubFaninArk

Quote from: grayhawg on December 13, 2014, 09:03:29 am
That was not by design, Malzahn wants to be the fastest offence in football.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/07/gus_malzahns_goal_make_auburns.html

Opposing defences were the reason for being slower than Gus wanted.

You've said that twice and it doesn't add up either time...of course opposing defenses were responsible for slowing it down....that is their job.  You set goals but reality takes over...the reality is that everyone thinks Auburn runs fast the whole game...they don't.  The complete game stats show that but you don't want to believe that.

ricepig

Quote from: opineonswine on December 13, 2014, 09:09:00 am
I'm VERY surprised.  A potty mouthed yeller and screamer that likes to say Boom MF on Gus' staff??  VERY surprised.

Gus may choke on his gum, hearing such filthy talk.

kaki

Funny how legends are made, some with more hype than substance.  Not saying that Muschamp is not a good coordinator, but he has always been around programs with tremendous talent.  As previously mentioned, Ellis Johnson was a very accomplished coordinator, demonstrating that with results at programs who built strong defenses with less highly ranked athletes.  All this said, I don't fear Auburn any more than normal and really wonder how this staff will mesh, especially ego wise. 

AubFaninArk

Quote from: ricepig on December 13, 2014, 09:10:57 am
Nope, we won't pay much more than half of that.

I would pay whatever it takes to keep him...he is a good one.

Peter Porker

He was born in Irving, Texas.

You didn't miss out. You can go root for Auburn. You wouldn't be missed.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MiHogsMi on December 12, 2014, 10:44:23 pm
Absolutely not possible.  The Hogville experts assure me no quality defensive coordinator would ever work for Gus.  Gus is just a "high school" coach; right?  You know...gimmicky, lucky, cheater.  Right?

This is far from over, it hasn't even started yet. We will see how the tug of war between offense and defense works out at Auburn. I think Muschamp is a really good DC. If Gus continues his trend to run more than throw, it may be a perfect match. But if he goes back to throwing more than running and has fewer sustained drives, maybe not so much. Only time will tell. Still, good hire by Gus.
Go Hogs Go!

AubFaninArk

Quote from: kaki on December 13, 2014, 09:13:35 am
Funny how legends are made, some with more hype than substance.  Not saying that Muschamp is not a good cooridnator, but he has always been around programs with tremendous talent.  As previously mentioned, Ellis Johnson was a very accomplished coordinator, demonstrating that with results at programs who built strong defenses with less highly ranked athletes.  All this said, I don't fear Auburn any more than normal and really wonder how this staff will mesh, especially ego wise. 

I didn't really like the Johnson hire...he was accomplished several years ago, but as the game changed, he didn't.  His last few years with South Carolina were not great and then his failure was completed at USM.

TrueBlue

I hope an ESPN camera is on Gus the first time Muschamp screams "BOOM! Mother F*****!" on a great tackle. It will be classic to see Gus cringe!

AubFaninArk

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 13, 2014, 09:15:16 am
This is far from over, it hasn't even started yet. We will see how the tug of war between offense and defense works out at Auburn. I think Muschamp is a really good DC. If Gus continues his trend to run more than throw, it may be a perfect match. But if he goes back to throwing more than running and has fewer sustained drives, maybe not so much. Only time will tell. Still, good hire by Gus.

When has Gus passed more than run???  Ever???

ricepig

Quote from: AubFaninArk on December 13, 2014, 09:13:50 am
I would pay whatever it takes to keep him...he is a good one.

Yes, he is, but he won't be getting paid triple his salary, anywhere, next year.

AubFaninArk

Quote from: TrueBlue on December 13, 2014, 09:15:56 am
I hope an ESPN camera is on Gus the first time Muschamp screams "BOOM! Mother F*****!" on a great tackle. It will be classic to see Gus cringe!

You don't think Dameyune Craig, Rodney Garner, and Melvin Smith don't cuss?  You don't know them very well.

AubFaninArk

Quote from: ricepig on December 13, 2014, 09:17:18 am
Yes, he is, but he won't be getting paid triple his salary, anywhere, next year.

It may not take triple to keep him...but I would pay him.

Lake City Hog

Threads like these are VERY entertaining! The hatred/jealousy that some of you conceal with stupidity is simply amazing.

Head coaches are hired to do 1 thing, WIN! HC's hire assistant coaches that they feel like will help them achieve the #1 objective. Smart HC's make the changes necessary to achieve the #1 objective as quickly as possible.

After his 1st year here BB figured out very quickly that he had a staff problem on defense and he did the VERY smart thing and he went out and fixed it. Gus is trying to do the very same thing. Sumlin tried to get his horse in that same race, but he couldn't pull it off. Muschamp at ATM could have been a VERY bad thing.

ricepig

Quote from: AubFaninArk on December 13, 2014, 09:19:55 am
It may not take triple to keep him...but I would pay him.

Ok, you've established that.

Pig Worshipper

Gus hasn't cringed at anything else that's gone down at Auburn from Cam Newton on down. Why should he even flinch now?

texas tush hog

Reggie Herring made Muschamp sound like a choir boy. Nutt to his credit (yuk, ugh, spit) called him down and Reggie got some better after that first spring.

go hogues

Lot of jealousy in this thread.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 13, 2014, 09:00:23 am

1   Clemson   venables
2   Penn St.   
3   UCF   
4   Wisconsin   aranada
5   Stanford   
6   Louisville   grantham
7   Michigan St.   Narduzzi
8   LSU        chavis
9   Florida   durkin
10   Michigan   
11   Alabama    smart
12   Boston College   
13   Ole Miss   
14   Miami (FL)   
15   Ohio St.   ash/fickell
16   Central Mich.   
17   Virginia Tech   foster
18   Iowa      
19   Houston     gibbs
20   Georgia.    Pruitt

P.S. Arkansas is #24.

I'm actually surprised I knew that many

ricepig

Quote from: go hogues on December 13, 2014, 09:25:55 am

Jealousy? Nah, I didn't want Muschamp as our DC, what else would we be jealous of, his salary? Florida is already paying him $3.7mil/yr for the next 3 years, so that probably put him over 50% of HV posters.......

IBleedRazorbackRed

Gus will either slow it down to get a more balanced team or this experiment will cost auburn a chunk of change

kaki

Quote from: go hogues on December 13, 2014, 09:25:55 am
May be some of that, but also some perspective too.  Not everybody believes that Muschamp changes the landscape as dramatically as others do.