Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Muschamp to Auburn

Started by redeye, December 12, 2014, 09:23:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny J

Bubba's Bruisers

But we were told that Gus wouldn't hire a guy like Muschamp.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

TrueBlue

He will make Gus lose his religion. Guaranteed.

jackflash

The Boar War

He'll stay for a season and move on.

WilsonHog

Gonna make somewhere around $1.7 million per year.

uncle bubs

Auburn's fixin' to be very dangerous. I was really hoping he'd go to USCe.
God bless the Boston Mountains.

Coondog Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 12, 2014, 09:37:59 pm
Damn that's some scratch for an assistant.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

NaturalStateReb

I think he's a good coach. The situation down at Florida just didn't work out for him.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

AubFaninArk

Quote from: The Boar War on December 12, 2014, 09:30:41 pm
He'll stay for a season and move on.

I think 2 maybe...but I'll take those 2 years.  I think its a good hire.

sowmonella

I see a real problem with Gus & Mus on the same team. Houston must not have wanted Muschamp.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 12, 2014, 09:24:59 pm
But we were told that Gus wouldn't hire a guy like Muschamp.
I've never heard he's a bad guy.

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 12, 2014, 09:37:59 pm

3 year deal

@schadjoe:Will Muschamp's 3-year Auburn deal $1.6 to $1.8 M per

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: sowmonella on December 12, 2014, 09:45:50 pm
I see a real problem with Gus & Mus on the same team. Houston must not have wanted Muschamp.

What would that problem be?
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Hoggish1

What if it doesn't make Allburns D any better? Then what? 

What if they come here next year and we run all over them?

What if Bama goes there and beats their @ss?

redeye

Quote from: Karma on December 12, 2014, 09:46:15 pm

I'm not saying I believe it, but I've heard Florida fans say he's a bad guy.

Quote from: Coondog Hog on December 12, 2014, 09:39:37 pm

Speaking of which, anyone remember how much Holtz and Hatfield made?  I was thinking about how coaches salaries have skyrocketed recently and was thinking that most made in the $100,000 range back in the eighties.  Hasn't been that long since they began making over $1M, I know.

jkstock04

Big time hire. It's obvious to me Auburn is a school that puts winning as a #1 priority.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HOGINTENNESSEE

I wonder what if any defensive position coach changes will take place

wupigsuey

Might make them the best team in Alabama in a couple years
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

AubFaninArk

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 12, 2014, 09:54:24 pm
I wonder what if any defensive position coach changes will take place

Secondary coach Tavarious Robinson coming with him from Florida.  Only one I've heard so far.  Rumors are Garner staying, all other defensive coaches are out.

razorbackkid

Quote from: Coondog Hog on December 12, 2014, 09:39:37 pm

Most likely worth every shiny penny of it.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

redeye

Quote from: razorbackkid on December 12, 2014, 10:06:47 pm
Most likely worth every shiny penny of it.

I may be one of the few who won't agree with you.  Muschamp will do well, and probably better then Kiffin at Alabama, but both of them are receiving undue respect, because they're high-profile ex-coaches.  When you look at Muschamp's last class at Florida, I'm not sure you can say he's a great recruiter, either.  What you can say is that he knows the SEC, but I think Auburn could have done better.  He is a good, safe pick, though.

update: I looked up where his defenses ranked when he coached at Auburn during the 2006-7 seasons.  Auburn was top-20 (mostly top-10) in Total Defense and Scoring Defense, but they were also giving up nearly 300 ypg, so I don't think that compares to what we've seen with Alabama and LSU in recent years.  At the price they're paying him, I would expect that level of competitiveness, though.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on December 12, 2014, 09:47:37 pm
3 year deal

That's what I'd call a soft landing.

CDBHawg

Quote from: uncle bubs on December 12, 2014, 09:38:43 pm

Fixing to be? They won the SEC one year ago.

AirForceHog

1.5-1.8 million a year for an assistant? Holy smokes. I'm defiantly in the wrong career field.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Karma on December 12, 2014, 09:46:15 pm

i think he's being sarcastic. the joke being gus doesn't care about defense.
The rest of the frog.

rusvegashog

Great hire by Auburn. Champs a really good defensive mind and a good guy. Name recognition is a big deal.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: ricepig on December 12, 2014, 09:47:37 pm
3 year deal

Robb Smith:  "uh, Bret?...."
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

AubFaninArk

Quote from: redeye on December 12, 2014, 10:13:26 pm
I may be one of the few who won't agree with you.  Muschamp will do well, and probably better then Kiffin at Alabama, but both of them are receiving undue respect, because they're high-profile ex-coaches.  When you look at Muschamp's last class at Florida, I'm not sure you can say he's a great recruiter, either.  What you can say is that he knows the SEC, but I think Auburn could have done better.  He is a safe pick and you can give them that, however.

???  His two classes were 7th and 9th rated...and both were Top 5 when you break it down by defense.  I actually think the safe hire would have been Barry Odom at Memphis...he was ready to take the job, but going after Boom was a risk that he might accept another offer and then have to resort to Plan B.

razorbackkid

I may be one of the few who won't agree with you.  Muschamp will do well, and probably better then Kiffin at Alabama, but both of them are receiving undue respect, because they're high-profile ex-coaches.  When you look at Muschamp's last class at Florida, I'm not sure you can say he's a great recruiter, either.  What you can say is that he knows the SEC, but I think Auburn could have done better.  He is a safe pick and you can give them that, however.

I won't step out on a limb and say he's the best of anything, but when he does have good talent, he does one heck of a job on the defensive side of the ball. 

I think the price being bounced around is money well spent for a defensive coach in our league.

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

ballz2thewall

i don't know how much better coaching-wise they could have done, but i agree that they could have gotten a good coach for a lot less money.

that kind of cash will cause problems among the staff if they aren't close in numbers among peers.
The rest of the frog.

Fayettechill14

Good defenses on HUNH teams are hard to find. Even good defensive coordinators fail. We'll see if Muschamp can break the trend.

870hogfan

Meh with an hurry up offense it will be very hard to get a good defense...

redeye

Quote from: AubFaninArk on December 12, 2014, 10:20:43 pm
???  His two classes were 7th and 9th rated...and both were Top 5 when you break it down by defense.  I actually think the safe hire would have been Barry Odom at Memphis...he was ready to take the job, but going after Boom was a risk that he might accept another offer and then have to resort to Plan B.

I meant this year's class.  They're currently ranked 85th with only 7 recruits on 247.  That's worse then Arkansas after Petrino and with our interim coach.

I said he was a safe hire because he has SEC experience and Odom doesn't.  Muschamp is certainly a good DC, so I'm not saying that Auburn made a bad hire, but I just don't think you'll get your money's worth out of it.  And I'm not sure that Odom doesn't have a higher ceiling, but again, he's a bigger risk.

Beantown Razahback

Only a matter of time before Muschamp gets into it with Gus over his defense being on the field every two minutes.

AubFaninArk

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 12, 2014, 10:22:33 pm
Good defenses on HUNH teams are hard to find. Even good defensive coordinators fail. We'll see if Muschamp can break the trend.

Auburn hasn't had good defense in 2 years and won the SEC and finished 8-4 with the 81st defense in the country...I'll take decent and Top 30 and think it adds 2 wins to the win column on a regular basis.  Auburn only ran 5 more plays a game than Arkansas this year...and Clemson had the top defense in the country...he'll do good enough to get us in contention for the playoff I think

redeye

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 12, 2014, 10:22:33 pm

This will be interesting to see, since we know that Muschamp is a good DC.  IIRC, Auburn doesn't really snap the ball that fast, so will there really be a problem?  I'm not sure, but we know that Auburn has really struggled on defense ever since Malzahn has been the OC.

AubFaninArk

Quote from: redeye on December 12, 2014, 10:25:14 pm
I meant this year's class.  They're currently ranked 85th with only 7 recruits on 247.  That's worse then Arkansas after Petrino and with our interim coach.

I said he was a safe hire because he has SEC experience and Odom doesn't.  Muschamp is certainly a good DC, so I'm not saying that Auburn made a bad hire, but I just don't think you'll get your money's worth out of it.  And I'm not sure that Odom doesn't have a higher ceiling, but again, he's a bigger risk.

Gotcha...I think everyone knew Boom was leaving Florida about 4 games in....

AubFaninArk

Quote from: redeye on December 12, 2014, 10:29:08 pm
This will be interesting to see, since we know that Muschamp is a good DC.  IIRC, Auburn doesn't really snap the ball that fast, so will there really be a problem?  I'm not sure, but we know that Auburn has really struggled on defense ever since Malzahn has been the OC.

Correct....they were around the middle of the pack in the SEC in terms of snaps per game.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: uncle bubs on December 12, 2014, 09:38:43 pm

Fixin to be?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Quote from: AubFaninArk on December 12, 2014, 10:31:08 pm
Correct....they were around the middle of the pack in the SEC in terms of snaps per game.
I was surprised to see that auburn's defense only played 30 more plays than ours all season.

AubFaninArk

Quote from: Karma on December 12, 2014, 10:34:14 pm
I was surprised to see that auburn's defense only played 30 more plays than ours all season.

Auburn runs a HUNH and fast only in short periods...they run HUNH with play calls at the line most of the time...meaning they have about as many snaps per game as most offenses in the SEC.

MiHogsMi

Absolutely not possible.  The Hogville experts assure me no quality defensive coordinator would ever work for Gus.  Gus is just a "high school" coach; right?  You know...gimmicky, lucky, cheater.  Right?
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

870hogfan

Quote from: MiHogsMi on December 12, 2014, 10:44:23 pm
Absolutely not possible.  The Hogville experts assure me no quality defensive coordinator would ever work for Gus.  Gus is just a "high school" coach; right?  You know...gimmicky, lucky, cheater.  Right?

He will get beat in Fayetteville next year.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: MiHogsMi on December 12, 2014, 10:44:23 pm

Most folks would chop their own arm off for $1.6 million, which is what they're paying him.

MiHogsMi

Quote from: 870hogfan on December 12, 2014, 10:48:31 pm

He will get beat in Fayetteville next year.

I certainly hope so.  But I'm waiting to see who winds up going pro and what the depth charts look like.
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

U-A Filthy Pig

Good. I'm glad he's back at Aubum.  We beat em when he was there before and we'll beat em again.  Not scared.

rusvegashog

What's coach Robb Smith making?

AubFaninArk

Quote from: Karma on December 12, 2014, 10:34:14 pm

Auburn runs a HUNH and fast only in short periods...they run HUNH with play calls at the line most of the time...meaning they have about as many snaps per game as most offenses in the SEC.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 12, 2014, 10:49:38 pm
Most folks would chop their own arm off for $1.6 million, which is what they're paying him.

When you leave a $2.5 million job and get paid $6.2 because they fire you....$1.6 doesn't have quite the arm chopping lustre to it any longer.