Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Football Roster Management 2014-15 Edition

Started by jbcarol, January 23, 2014, 11:41:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Four LSU players - defensive backs Derrick Raymond and Jerqwinick Sandolph, linebacker Lorenzo Phillips and offensive lineman Derek Edinburgh Jr. - have left the team and won't return for the 2014 season...

A fifth player who was previously dismissed from the the team, sophomore defensive back Micah Eugene, plans to enroll at Southeastern Louisiana...

Raymond, who played at East Jefferson, and Sandolph, a Hahnville alumnus, were suspended from the team in December and did not make the trip to Tampa for the Outback Bowl...

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/01/four_lsu_players_wont_return_f.html

LSU is not only school making the numbers work.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger ‏@DellengerAdv 19 hrs
So that's 6 from 2012 signing class no longer w/team: 4 recent departures and Jeremy Liggins & Trey Granier - http://bit.ly/1mukk53  #LSU

Liggins is trying to get eligible to play at Ole Miss.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

nextlevel

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 23, 2014, 01:23:50 pm
Guys with no chance of playing time.  Happens here too...

No, they are always players the coaching staff didn't know how to properly utilize on the field.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

PharmacistHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 23, 2014, 01:23:50 pm
Guys with no chance of playing time.  Happens here too...

they would be starters for us. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

ricepig

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 23, 2014, 01:28:43 pm
they would be starters for us. 

Sadly this is true and the kids will still go there.

SDZ_Hog

Sounds like cutting current players on the roster not current recruits/commits.  This wouldn't be a factor for Frazier.

Dark Helmet Hog

Nice article. It's going to be unfortunate for several kids.

scruf

Mentioned a "glut at running back." I wonder how that affects Tenpenny.

TexasRazorback

Hog Fan...DOH!

It should raise the eyebrow of every single recruit.

GEO-HOG

Seriously, tell a recruit Saban could cut you on signing day or you could lose your scholarship any year

IBleedRazorbackRed

This same thing happens everywhere. We just "cut" a handfull of guys ourselves and will probably "cut" more before the season starts.

Tim Harris

We have some work to do as well.  There was a thread on here a while back and for us to sign all 26 spots we had to trim something like 6-8 players.  I don't remember the exact number but even with the 3 that were announced when the season ended we still needed to trim a few more.

Hogeration

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on January 27, 2014, 11:28:21 am
Sounds like cutting current players on the roster not current recruits/commits.  This wouldn't be a factor for Frazier.
Unless he is asked to grey shirt.  I don't know how he ranks to the others Bama is trying to sign.  If it's even or a bit below, I would think they would rather tick off a school in Arkansas than a school anywhere else.  It's not like they get many recruits from here anyway.

arkbadger

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 27, 2014, 11:32:40 am
It should raise the eyebrow of every single recruit.

it would if this was anything new at Bama, which it isn't.  any decent coach recruiting against them should bring this up, and likely does, but take a look at their recent recruiting and you will see how much it matters.
You can keep that skoal baby.

passinghog

It's all a part of the "process." (Insert Nick Saban hand gesture)

opineonswine

Oversigning "@RecruitingAJC: #Bama may have to cut as many as 7 current football players to fit all 2014 recruits, per #Bama website

The Hogfather

You Arkansas kids better pay attention.  Wonder if Tenpenny will be one?

IBleedRazorbackRed

We have to do the exact same thing. Just like every school in the country.

25 + 25 + 25 +25 = 100
Only 85 can be on scholarship. 100 - 85 = 15
15/4 = 3.75
You have to have an average of 3.75 kids lose their scholarship every year in order to continue signing a full class of freshman.

litmachog

Or do they Darious Philon a recruit on signing day that the Hogs can pick up.

Hey I'd take another Philon type recruit on signing day that hadn't even visited campus.

Uncommon

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on January 27, 2014, 12:24:01 pm
Agreed.  We had 83 scholarship players during the season.  We lost 16 due to Seniors (83-16=67).  We lost another 4 due to transfers of Ray Buchanan Jr., Nate Holmes, Myke Tavarres, and AJ Turner (67-4=63).  Therefore, if we sign 27 and they all are eligible, we will need 5 of our current players to transfer as well between now and the start of fall camp (63+27=90).

yraciv

I think we're going to be in a similar position. I think we had something like 16 scholarship players that were SR, and have had 3 already decide to transfer out.  Maybe a couple will move on by their own, but we definitely still have some trimming to do. I don't have near the problem with this as some do because these young men who get their scholarship yanked are usually talented enough that they can still get paid to play football elsewhere.  It's the nature of the beast, that the numbers work themselves out.

I have a slight issue with Saban's tactics just because he knows damn well when he signs a FR RB that is coming in 8th on the depth chart that the young man might never see the field, and eventually be victim to this.  He wanted to keep Kamara and Tenpenny off of other teams in conference, so he signed them both. Tenpenny saw mopup duty, and Kamara was asked to redshirt. Kamara saw the writing on the wall and asked to transfer, alas he can't go to another SEC school. Maybe oversigning by some every year, but this seems to be a yearly occurrence with him cutting commits last minute and asking others to greyshirt.

Coach B on the other hand is in year 2 of recruiting, and has a roster filled with guys that were recruited to another system. Trimming the roster should be expected in this instance for the program to move forward.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: BeastBack 50 on January 27, 2014, 12:31:45 pm
Agreed.  We had 83 scholarship players during the season.  We lost 16 due to Seniors (83-16=67).  We lost another 4 due to transfers of Ray Buchanan Jr., Nate Holmes, Myke Tavarres, and AJ Turner (67-4=63).  Therefore, if we sign 27 and they all are eligible, we will need 5 of our current players to transfer as well between now and the start of fall camp (63+27=90).

We can only sign 26 this class, so we'll need 4 to leave instead of 5. Anyways, thanks for doing the hard work. +1

GEO-HOG

The walk-ons that earned a scholarship last year could not be given out again.  I see one LB having a bunch of freshman getting playing time ahead of him.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: opineonswine on January 27, 2014, 12:13:54 pm
Oversigning "@RecruitingAJC: #Bama may have to cut as many as 7 current football players to fit all 2014 recruits, per #Bama website

When did you sneak back into the fold, opine? Good to see you back.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Steef

For me, the point isn't Satan's tactics. It's the hope that some of those surplus 5 stars might eventually realize that riding a bench for Nick is not the great career move they thought it would be.

Might be nice for future recruits to see that BEFORE they get in the back of the line at Tuscaloosa.

COCHISE

Not every team has to cut like Bama is about to do. Some can do it through players transferring, NFL draft or graduation. Cutting 7 players is a big deal.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: COCHISE on January 27, 2014, 12:40:58 pm
Not every team has to cut like Bama is about to do. Some can do it through players transferring, NFL draft or graduation. Cutting 7 players is a big deal.

Usually when a player transfers, its because he was "cut." They just don't use that exact term.

smb

Boy it must be tough having too many players!
GeorgiaHOG

hog_fan

Us 4 and Bama 7.

Huds_HawgTide

How though? They have a bagillion lraving early for the draft
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Hawg Red

greghog

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on January 27, 2014, 12:24:01 pm

25 + 25 + 25 +25 = 100
Only 85 can be on scholarship. 100 - 85 = 15
15/4 = 3.75
You have to have an average of 3.75 kids lose their scholarship every year in order to continue signing a full class of freshman.

The math is actually worse than that.  Some kids redshirt.  I don't know the average number, but a lot of kids stay 5 years.  Now, some leave after 3 years, but we have more redshirt than we have going pro early. 

You can count on some kids dropping by the side.  Injuries, deciding on their own to transfer, grades, etc.  But I am pretty sure every BCS program ends up telling some kids "you have to go" every year to make room for the "new blood."

The Hogfather

It certainly is.

arkjay19

"Lose" a scholarship or have it stop being used?  Arkansas already has some freed up with the transfers of guys like Turner, Tavarres and Buchanan.

Simple percentages suggest at least one or two guys won't make it to campus from this class.

Bielema isn't about to have to just start dumping scholarships like Saban is.

sickboy

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on January 27, 2014, 11:35:25 am
This same thing happens everywhere. We just "cut" a handfull of guys ourselves and will probably "cut" more before the season starts.

The same thing doesn't happen everywhere because Bama has to cut highly rated recruits because all they do is sign 4 and 5* kids. If you're a highly rated recruit, you have to weigh the pros and cons of potentially squandering your opportunity by loading up on a Bama roster that's already bloated with blue chip recruits...because it's not just about talent -- it's also about opportunity.

A 4 and 5* recruit doesn't have to worry about that at all coming to Arkansas. It's apples and oranges.

COCHISE

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on January 27, 2014, 01:00:32 pm
Usually when a player transfers, its because he was "cut." They just don't use that exact term.
That's certainly the case sometimes, but I think it's typically the case that a player isn't getting the playing time he wants and the player and coaching staff graciously part ways.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: arkjay19 on January 27, 2014, 02:03:37 pm
"Lose" a scholarship or have it stop being used?  Arkansas already has some freed up with the transfers of guys like Turner, Tavarres and Buchanan.

Simple percentages suggest at least one or two guys won't make it to campus from this class.

Bielema isn't about to have to just start dumping scholarships like Saban is.

We still have to have four guys leave before fall camp assuming we sign 26. Added to the four we've already dropped and it's pretty much the exact same scenario Saban is going thru.

hogfanfromlr

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on January 27, 2014, 11:28:21 am

Until the next year

COCHISE

According to the article, Bama will actually have to cut 9 players. The author is speculating that 2 of the players that will be asked to leave are non-starters and already have their degrees, leaving them with 7 more to cut from somewhere. That's a lot of room to make.

Vantage 8 dude

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: steefhog on January 27, 2014, 12:40:36 pm
For me, the point isn't Satan's tactics. It's the hope that some of those surplus 5 stars might eventually realize that riding a bench for Nick is not the great career move they thought it would be.

Might be nice for future recruits to see that BEFORE they get in the back of the line at Tuscaloosa.
I agree. However, how many kids do we see who are true 4 and 5 stars who have an offer from someone like 'Bama and have the ability to see they might not actually being the big stud of the future? Most want to think (right or wrong) THEY'RE the ones who'll be the starter and leave the rest of the other guys on the beach. Ego is often a very difficult thing to overcome.

The Hogfather

Quote from: steefhog on January 27, 2014, 12:40:36 pm

Yep.  You have to hope that kids start to wise up to this.  Regardless of how good you think you are, as an Arkansas high school football player, the chances of you logging significant minutes for a Saban-led Alabama team are almost nil.

hawgtime

Quote from: yraciv on January 27, 2014, 12:33:30 pm
I think we're going to be in a similar position. I think we had something like 16 scholarship players that were SR, and have had 3 already decide to transfer out.  Maybe a couple will move on by their own, but we definitely still have some trimming to do. I don't have near the problem with this as some do because these young men who get their scholarship yanked are usually talented enough that they can still get paid to play football elsewhere.  It's the nature of the beast, that the numbers work themselves out.

I have a slight issue with Saban's tactics just because he knows damn well when he signs a FR RB that is coming in 8th on the depth chart that the young man might never see the field, and eventually be victim to this.  He wanted to keep Kamara and Tenpenny off of other teams in conference, so he signed them both. Tenpenny saw mopup duty, and Kamara was asked to redshirt. Kamara saw the writing on the wall and asked to transfer, alas he can't go to another SEC school. Maybe oversigning by some every year, but this seems to be a yearly occurrence with him cutting commits last minute and asking others to greyshirt.

Coach B on the other hand is in year 2 of recruiting, and has a roster filled with guys that were recruited to another system. Trimming the roster should be expected in this instance for the program to move forward.

smart move by Saban. keep them off of another SEC team.  hummmm.

hawgsalot

They can only sign 25 per class period, you don't get to cut 5 off the team today and sign 30, it doesn't work that way.  If they only signed and got in school 24 last year you can add 1 that enrolls early and sign 26.   We can only sign 26 for this reason.