Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown IX

Started by clutch, April 05, 2015, 01:50:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

And the Reds and Brewers can't be as bad next year as this.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on November 11, 2015, 02:35:15 pm
I believe that Tyler Lyons will play a bigger role in that capacity once the dust settles. Marco and/or Cooney could be involved too.

But, yeah, now we must re-sign Lackey or get another quality starter. The Cubs and Pirates aren't going anywhere.

And I would be fine with Cooney, Lyons, or Marco filling that role. I wouldn't have said this in March of 2015, but I'd also like to see Villanueva come back if the deal makes sense; he could help in that role a bit.

The good news is there are some pretty good names at SP out there. Doug Fister, Johnny Cueto (I know :puke:) and  Jordan Zimmerman to name a few. I'd probably prefer Lackey though.

The lineup is actually more of a concern for me.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

clutch

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on November 10, 2015, 06:31:39 pm
Fan freaking tastic. Do you think this makes them more likely to try harder to keep Lackey or go after someone like a Price, etc.?

I think they are much more likely to go after Lackey. It would be the smarter play in my decision. Could get him for 2 years where Price is going to want something longer, and cost more.

Dropkick

David Price scares me. For what he is going to cost I would want a proven postseason stud.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Dropkick on November 12, 2015, 03:53:48 pm
David Price scares me. For what he is going to cost I would want a proven postseason stud.
What other good veterans are going to be free agents this off-season?  I ask because I really don't know.  I just threw his name out there because I knew he was a rental at the end of the season.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on November 13, 2015, 01:43:01 am
What other good veterans are going to be free agents this off-season?  I ask because I really don't know.  I just threw his name out there because I knew he was a rental at the end of the season.

Here you go, Rock

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/11/12/mlb-free-agency-top-12-starting-pitchers-will-david-price-land-a-record-deal/
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Rocky&Boarwinkle

jrulz83

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on November 13, 2015, 10:48:50 am
No Cueto please.  He could be the second coming of Bob Gibson and I wouldn't want him after he pulled his stunt a few years ago.

I have to differ on that one. If the deal makes sense and he can help the team I'd take him. I think there are better options out there for the Cardinals though, Lackey for one.

The days of the Sidney Ponson and Kip Wells signings are behind us, the Cardinals can't afford those kind of experiments with the NL Central as competitive as it is. If nothing else they need to sabre rattle and inflate the market on players that the Cubs and other competition are interested in. However, they have to get a decent pitcher and middle infield depth whether they sign Heyward or not.

I think they may surprise people with what they do this offseason.

clutch

Saw an article that said Mark Burhle was going to retire unless the Cardinals offer him a contract.

jrulz83

So the first free agent signing is Brayan Pena. If Matheny utilizes him in the proper fashion this could be a pretty good signing. Who wants to bet that Molina sets a career high for innings caught next year?  ???

Dropkick

Quote from: jrulz83 on December 01, 2015, 02:42:58 pm
So the first free agent signing is Brayan Pena. If Matheny utilizes him in the proper fashion this could be a pretty good signing. Who wants to bet that Molina sets a career high for innings caught next year?  ???
Good pick up for STL. Nice bat off the bench when not catching.

popcornhog

David Price teed off Tuesday morning at a Wally Joyner's charity golf tournament in Las Vegas believing he would be spending the next seven years pitching for the St. Louis Cardinals.

Price had planned to sign with the Cards until the last minute. Damn.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/bob-nightengale/2015/12/01/david-price-boston-red-sox-zack-greinke-free-agents-st-louis-cardinals/76630810/

WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on December 01, 2015, 07:30:33 pm
David Price teed off Tuesday morning at a Wally Joyner's charity golf tournament in Las Vegas believing he would be spending the next seven years pitching for the St. Louis Cardinals.

Price had planned to sign with the Cards until the last minute. Damn.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/bob-nightengale/2015/12/01/david-price-boston-red-sox-zack-greinke-free-agents-st-louis-cardinals/76630810/

The Red Sox overpaid.

pigture perfect

I think Price would have been a better clubhouse fit than Greinke would. ZG just appears a bit weird to me.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

Quote from: Dropkick on December 01, 2015, 03:14:53 pm
Good pick up for STL. Nice bat off the bench when not catching.

That's pretty much how I feel, but Matheny won't use him properly.

jbell96

I am disappointed we missed out on Price, but I'm glad to see us out there being aggressive in the FA market.

hoghappy

Saw where Cruz was traded to KC for and infielder. It is probable that TC will get even less time backing Perez. It also looks like the end for Kozma as well with this trade.

jbell96

Quote from: hoghappy on December 02, 2015, 10:33:34 am
Saw where Cruz was traded to KC for and infielder. It is probable that TC will get even less time backing Perez. It also looks like the end for Kozma as well with this trade.

This trade had nothing to do with Kozma, it was about finding a good landing spot for Cruz. The infielder is a minor league SS that played Short Season A ball last year.

In other Cardinal related news, Bourjos was claimed off waivers by Philly.

pigture perfect

Yeah, I like that the Redbirds aren't standing pat.

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on December 01, 2015, 09:07:03 pm
The Red Sox overpaid.

Oh absolutely. Stupid in my mind.

I'm just surprised we were in that deep.

It's a good sign that we're willing to spend money. Now let's go spend it on a 26 year old out fielder, a SP, and/or a 1B bat.
WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on December 02, 2015, 11:06:45 pm

It's a good sign that we're willing to spend money. Now let's go spend it on a 26 year old out fielder, a SP, and/or a 1B bat.

I'm not surprised the Cardinals were in that deep. I've maintained since the end of the season that the Cardinals will surprise people with their willingness to spend. I firmly believe Heyward will receive a competitive offer.

The Price deal is much like the Pujols deal; the Cardinals appear to be using their money wisely at this point. Will that be a cost effective deal in year 5? What about year 7? I seriously doubt that it will.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: popcornhog on December 02, 2015, 11:06:45 pm

[/quote
Hayward, Grienke, Davis would be a Christmas wish list for me and Zobrist would be icing on the cake.

I know its a pipe dream but tis the season. If I have to prioritize it though Hayward is a must in my opinion.
I really want to see them go after Davis at 1B. I like Adams but I don't think he is the answer. Davis comes with a lot of K's but having a 40+ HR guy in the middle of the lineup would be great.

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on December 03, 2015, 08:20:00 am
I'm not surprised the Cardinals were in that deep. I've maintained since the end of the season that the Cardinals will surprise people with their willingness to spend. I firmly believe Heyward will receive a competitive offer.

The Price deal is much like the Pujols deal; the Cardinals appear to be using their money wisely at this point. Will that be a cost effective deal in year 5? What about year 7? I seriously doubt that it will.

Right. Total insanity what the Red Sox paid, particularly on the back end of a 7 year deal for a SP his age.
WPS

McKdaddy

My Sox friends are "mostly" happy about it, given that they had no ace in '15.  I'm happy the Cards bid as high as they did for him, though I would've had some small misgivings had he signed w/ us at the price the Cards were offering. I realize it is the going rate, however.

popcornhog

WPS

McKdaddy

Quote from: popcornhog on December 04, 2015, 04:53:54 pm
Lackey is a Chicago Cub.

I don't blame him for taking 16m/yr, but going to the cubs hurts.

pigture perfect

Hate losing lackey. Hate it even more that he's a scrub. I bet Lester had a little bit to do with him going there.

jbell96

I hate seeing Lackey as a Cub, but it's not surprising, given his ties to Lester and Theo from their Boston days, and I am super glad we didn't over pay for Jeff Samardzija. Five year 90 million is way too much for a guy that is coming off a season where he had the highest ERA & lowest strikeout percentage of his career.

I just hope we do something soon. I wouldn't mind us giving Cliff Lee a one year deal and see if he's still got it. It's a bit of a risk, but the reward if he's healthy would be worth it.

popcornhog

Word out of Nashville is that the Royals are saying the Cards are their top competition for Alex Gordon.

Not sure what I think about this. Hopefully this is just Plan B if Heyward falls through.

Unless we're looking to shop Matt Holliday, which I doubt.
WPS

clutch

Quote from: jbell96 on December 07, 2015, 08:18:39 am
I hate seeing Lackey as a Cub, but it's not surprising, given his ties to Lester and Theo from their Boston days, and I am super glad we didn't over pay for Jeff Samardzija. Five year 90 million is way too much for a guy that is coming off a season where he had the highest ERA & lowest strikeout percentage of his career.

I just hope we do something soon. I wouldn't mind us giving Cliff Lee a one year deal and see if he's still got it. It's a bit of a risk, but the reward if he's healthy would be worth it.

Pretty sure Cliff's done. I doubt he ever pitches again.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: McKdaddy on December 04, 2015, 05:52:32 pm
I don't blame him for taking 16m/yr, but going to the cubs hurts.
After Lester's deal last year and this one, how much money exactly do they have to throw around?

jbell96

Quote from: clutch on December 07, 2015, 11:52:37 am
Pretty sure Cliff's done. I doubt he ever pitches again.

Well 15 teams are interested in seeing what he's got so I guess we will see.

jrulz83

jbell96

Quote from: jrulz83 on December 08, 2015, 10:17:56 am
Jay sent to San Diego for Jedd Gyorko:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/cards-send-jay-to-padres-for-infielder-gyorko/article_4b38b9ae-7555-5d77-a765-b4ea8b7fb5c7.html

Seems like a pretty good move to me.

I agree. Gives us some middle infield depth, with a little bit of pop, to keep Peralta and Wong from being run into the ground & removes some clutter from the outfield. San Diego taking on some of Gyorko's salary also helps make this trade a winner. Think trading Jay could possibly mean a deal with Heyward could be coming soon. At least that is what I'm hoping.

clutch

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on December 07, 2015, 03:26:25 pm
After Lester's deal last year and this one, how much money exactly do they have to throw around?

A whole heckuva lot right now. Here in a few years things will be a little tighter when they start having to pay all these young guys on their team.

clutch

jrulz83

Quote from: jbell96 on December 08, 2015, 12:28:31 pm
I agree. Gives us some middle infield depth, with a little bit of pop, to keep Peralta and Wong from being run into the ground & removes some clutter from the outfield. San Diego taking on some of Gyorko's salary also helps make this trade a winner. Think trading Jay could possibly mean a deal with Heyward could be coming soon. At least that is what I'm hoping.

I'm more optimistic about Heyward with Jay being traded, but time will tell. If Heyward does return what does that mean for Piscotty and Adams? I think it makes Adams (albeit not for much) expendable.

In a perfect world I'd like to see another move/signing made that brings in a solid starting pitcher, but as I think about it I'd be fine with with the guys that are there.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: clutch on December 08, 2015, 12:48:51 pm
A whole heckuva lot right now. Here in a few years things will be a little tighter when they start having to pay all these young guys on their team.
Yes, I forgot about them having most of that young talent at bargain bin prices.  So I guess since everything seems to be ahead of schedule, they decided to blow their fat roll of cash to try and win as soon as possible.

pigture perfect

I can't get jazzed about anything the Cards are doing. We best get Heyward. The Cards are definitely #2 at best in NL Central now.

clutch

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on December 08, 2015, 06:46:13 pm
Yes, I forgot about them having most of that young talent at bargain bin prices.  So I guess since everything seems to be ahead of schedule, they decided to blow their fat roll of cash to try and win as soon as possible.

Add another $56 million over the next 4 years to their bankroll for Zobrist.

McKdaddy

Cubs are doing the same thing that Mo has talked about over the past year...increasing the payroll for the updated tv deal that won't begin paying out for another year or 2.

jrulz83

Sounds to me like Cueto's agent is trying to put a full court press on the Cardinals:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/johnny-cueto-dodgers-cardinals-diamondbacks.html

I know there's bad blood, but I wouldn't have a problem with it.

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on December 09, 2015, 03:06:37 pm
Sounds to me like Cueto's agent is trying to put a full court press on the Cardinals:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/johnny-cueto-dodgers-cardinals-diamondbacks.html

I know there's bad blood, but I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I just read the same article.

Personally, the past is past, but I know the fan base would revolt.
WPS

McKdaddy

sooiepig_12

Reports saying that Heyward is wanting 24 mil.  I say we go after Gordon and try to sign him to a 3 year deal.  Then make a run for Maeda.

pigture perfect

If our hitters would swing and miss as much as Mozeliak,  he would b sent to the minors or waived. signed frustrated Cardsfan!

ucahogfan

Quote from: sooiepig_12 on December 10, 2015, 01:44:27 pm
Reports saying that Heyward is wanting 24 mil.  I say we go after Gordon and try to sign him to a 3 year deal.  Then make a run for Maeda.
Gordon is looking at a 5/90 type contract. Not going to get him on a 3 year deal unless it has a player opt out after 3.

sooiepig_12

Quote from: ucahogfan on December 10, 2015, 02:21:02 pm
Gordon is looking at a 5/90 type contract. Not going to get him on a 3 year deal unless it has a player opt out after 3.
Maybe we could pay more per year and sign him to a shorter deal.  I'd be reluctant to sign a 31 year old to a 5 year deal.  I've always liked Gordon and his WAR is 13 and 14 is very similar to Heyward's plus he would be nice to have assuming we let Holliday go after this year.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 10, 2015, 02:11:37 pm
If our hitters would swing and miss as much as Mozeliak,  he would b sent to the minors or waived. signed frustrated Cardsfan!

Well he did sign Broxton today. SMH

ucahogfan

Quote from: sooiepig_12 on December 10, 2015, 02:31:15 pm
Maybe we could pay more per year and sign him to a shorter deal.  I'd be reluctant to sign a 31 year old to a 5 year deal.  I've always liked Gordon and his WAR is 13 and 14 is very similar to Heyward's plus he would be nice to have assuming we let Holliday go after this year.
Why would Gordon sign a shorter deal even if it was a 3/65 type deal with how much leverage players signing long term deals?  He isn't going to get a lot as a 34 year old corner OF as his defense has slipped a little in the last couple of years.

Also, from the sounds of it, J-Hey will sign soon in the 8-9 year range and about 23-24M annually.  That is a huge contract for a player, but I did predict it.