Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Running back by committee recruiting

Started by alaskanhog, May 02, 2015, 01:18:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

alaskanhog

Two questions:
1.  Is it CBB's preference to have a multiple back rotation or has he just recruited well and developed players well enough that he can't keep them off the field.

2.  If he does prefer a rotation, is it harder to recruit a lot of top rated backs to AR because of it? Does the idea of not being a feature back deter some higher ranked recruits?

We obviously are on some great recruits, and I think RWIII was badly underrated.  That said, depending on what happens with Day's knee, graduation (Walker, JWill), and Collins (draft), we could find ourselves inexperienced and thin after next year.   

BatesvilleHOG

I think it's pretty obvious that Bielema likes the idea of RB by committee. Looking back to his years at Wisky, he always tried to have a deep, talented rotation at that position.

Arkansas being crowned as RBU really helps our recruiting as well. Tho we don't have any commits at the position in the 2016 class, we are high on the list of some high recruited ball carriers. I expect us to land 1-2 elite backs in this class between Devin White, Devwah Whaley, or Elijah Holifield

PaintballHog

There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't get top end talent at rb

logand02

I would say that top priority is trying to get both White and Whaley. Seems like we have a low chance of getting Holyfield. Wouldn't surprise me if we sign 3 RB's this year.

http://247sports.com/Player/Devin-White-33099

http://247sports.com/Player/Devwah-Whaley-33409

But we have some very nice targets I believe are underrated

http://247sports.com/Player/Dedrick-Mills-37246

http://247sports.com/Player/DVaughn-Pennamon-63313

Don't know how the staff feels but I am rooting for Crockett to get an offer.

http://247sports.com/Player/Damarea-Crockett-74145

31to6

You have to have a rotation if you run the ball as much as we do. I don't think it is fair to say he never has a 'feature back' however. If he has a 1a/1b type situation, the distribution will be more even--which is better for the team, better in the 4th quarter and less wear and tear on the players.

But even when he has elite NFL talent his 2nd and 3rd backs get a lot of snaps. We ran the ball 40 times a game. You HAVE to spread that load around.

It did not hurt Montee Ball in the least for 190ish snaps to go to White and Gordon in his senior year.

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on May 02, 2015, 02:50:33 pm

Arkansas being crowned as RBU really helps our recruiting as well.

Lets be honest, yes Arkansas might of been crowned RBU but I think that title was a 50-50 split with Alabama.

k.c.hawg

Last 4 years at Wisky

Ball       356 for 1830
White     125 for  806
Gordon    62 for 621

Ball       307 for 1923
White     141 for 713
Backups   53 for 285

White    156 for 1052
Clay      187 for 1012
Ball       163 for  996

Clay      287 for 1517
Ball        98 for   391
Brown     66 for  279

Wouldn't necessarily call it RB by committee although that is exactly what 2010 looked like. In other years it looks more like there is a feature back but that there is still a good 15 carries per game to be had by the other backs. In 2011 Russell Wilson had 80 attempts for 340 and probably took a few carries away from the other backs.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: alaskanhog on May 02, 2015, 01:18:52 pm
Two questions:
1.  Is it CBB's preference to have a multiple back rotation or has he just recruited well and developed players well enough that he can't keep them off the field.

2.  If he does prefer a rotation, is it harder to recruit a lot of top rated backs to AR because of it? Does the idea of not being a feature back deter some higher ranked recruits?

We obviously are on some great recruits, and I think RWIII was badly underrated.  That said, depending on what happens with Day's knee, graduation (Walker, JWill), and Collins (draft), we could find ourselves inexperienced and thin after next year.
I realize there are some kids out there who feel like they need to be THE top rb stud. However, what's interesting and ironic is that consistently year-in-year out at both Wisconsin and Arkansas Bielema's teams have churned out 1,000 yards backs like a well oiled factory. Most years the Badgers had at least one 1,000 yards runners; in fact one season (2010) he almost had THREE (the third back was only a very few yards short).

Obviously his first two years on the Hill he's had at least one back with 1K; last year he had two once again. Between kids like Ball, White, Gordon and other backs that he either recruited and/or coached going on to "the league" IMO there should be zero, nada, zippo, nyet excuse for any running back NOT to be interested in a team coached by CBB. That is unless the kid's either not looking very hard, hasn't done his homework, or thinking very far into a possible NFL future.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: 31to6 on May 02, 2015, 04:23:39 pm
You have to have a rotation if you run the ball as much as we do. I don't think it is fair to say he never has a 'feature back' however. If he has a 1a/1b type situation, the distribution will be more even--which is better for the team, better in the 4th quarter and less wear and tear on the players.

But even when he has elite NFL talent his 2nd and 3rd backs get a lot of snaps. We ran the ball 40 times a game. You HAVE to spread that load around.

It did not hurt Montee Ball in the least for 190ish snaps to go to White and Gordon in his senior year.
All of this.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

JackJohnson

jjdlc

CBB consistently produces 2 1000 yard rushers per year, and came as close to anyone has ever come to producing 3 1000 yard rushers in a single year.  Just me, but if I were a running back looking to get into the league, that is the system I would want to be a part of.  Even if I couldn't take the top spot, I'd still have plenty of opportunity to showcase my abilities.  I would also not have to worry about carrying the ball 30+ times a game like some featured backs, raising my risk for injuries. 

So, what I'm saying, it might keep a few backs away from us, but I think most realize the value to their future careers.

Tusks

Do elite HS RB consider getting too MANY carries in college?  Do they think about not getting worn down and being fresh for the NFL or does that not even come into play?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

jjdlc

Considering the relatively short careers of pro running backs, I would say it's probably something they would consider.  I would imagine the pro teams are considering it at any rate.

Tusks

Quote from: jjdlc on May 04, 2015, 02:44:56 pm
Considering the relatively short careers of pro running backs, I would say it's probably something they would consider.  I would imagine the pro teams are considering it at any rate.

I say that because everything is getting so specialized now days.  You don't 'typically' play all sports like when I was a kid.  You play football or baseball or whatever 24/7.

My son may...may... play college baseball, he's a soph. and the crap they have him doing is completely singular in nature.  Nothing but baseball PERIOD.  I know there are some multi sport kids but not like it used to be.  He has a nutritionist, strength coach, agility coach and then you get to the baseball coaches and that's all from his HS.  Then you get to the outside hitting, pitching etc that you have to pay for.

Now with kids in programs like that, it seems like a RB by committee would be a great incentive.  You're running a pro set offense with OL being taught pro blocking schemes and the fewer hits you have to take then the more stamina you have for the NFL.  This is of course for the top 5%.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

WorfHog

Quote from: tusked on May 04, 2015, 02:41:06 pm
Do elite HS RB consider getting too MANY carries in college?  Do they think about not getting worn down and being fresh for the NFL or does that not even come into play?

The really mature and intelligent one's probably do, but let's be honest most 18 year old boys think they are invincible until life proves them otherwise.

tbhogfan

Big selling points to a quality 2016 RB would be:
1) Big, deep, talented O-Line
2) Pro-style offense committed to the run
3) Quality depth at your position (they are not going to have you in there tired or hurt because they don't have anyone else they can count on)
4) Williams will have completed his senior year, and Collins will be a senior the following year if he does not go into the NFL Draft.  That's lots of quality carries coming available in the system quickly.
Go Hogs!

Country Stylz

TrueBlue

Elijah Holyfield would be a nice "get".

MissippHog

Quote from: logand02 on May 02, 2015, 03:31:04 pm
I would say that top priority is trying to get both White and Whaley. Seems like we have a low chance of getting Holyfield. Wouldn't surprise me if we sign 3 RB's this year.

http://247sports.com/Player/Devin-White-33099

http://247sports.com/Player/Devwah-Whaley-33409

But we have some very nice targets I believe are underrated

http://247sports.com/Player/Dedrick-Mills-37246

http://247sports.com/Player/DVaughn-Pennamon-63313

Don't know how the staff feels but I am rooting for Crockett to get an offer.

http://247sports.com/Player/Damarea-Crockett-74145
I would definitely say Mills is underrated just based on offers alone.  Heck, he isn't rated at all and has offers from Arkansas, Auburn, FSU, Kentucky and South Carolina.

The Boar War

If they don't opposing coaches make sure to point it out.  I believe it's one of the reasons we lost Shorter to Texas (before the injury).  I don't know if it's true but it sounds reasonable.

Hoggish1

It is to the advantage of great backs to have a rotation with others who are equally talented. 

If you go through 3 or 4 years in that system, you have 1.5 to 2 years of wear and tear on your body.  Today, that's an advantage when moving on to the next level...

Hoggish1

They do if they are taught the value/effect of fewer carries on their ability to have a longer career at both their current and future levels of play.

These days, keeping head injuries to a minimum, along with other physical problems, is a must, if you want a longer career at the next level and your sanity after football.