Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chicken

Started by "Boar", August 19, 2013, 05:56:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

Tried a new twist on chicken today.  Marinated several chicken thighs in Goya Mojo Criollo marinade that I had thrown a package of Jerk Seasoning in.  Let them set in that for several hours then threw them on the egg and slow cooked.  Not bad, little bit of a bite, kind of a citrusy taste and I'll do it that way again.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

"Boar"

A friend of mine uses Goya a lot.  I've never tried it but it must be good.

Our latest experiment with chicken was a test for the African meal we're cooking up for our church.  UMC is doing a fund raiser for an effort to prevent Malaria and several of us will be cooking African meals and serving for a donation.

We test cooked an African Chicken Peanut Stew and took it to church today for samples and opins.  The wife and everybody there loved it.  I thought it was terrible...probably because I only like pb on pb & j and banannas.

Boarcephus

Boar, quick question.....you've smoked a turkey on the egg before haven't you?  I'm thinking about turning the plate setter upside down, putting an aluminum pan on it and filling it up with the Mojo Marinade and setting the turkey on top and smoking it for Thanksgiving.   Setting the temp at around 250 or so trying to get a super moist product.  That should work shouldn't it?   Any ideas or suggestions? 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 04, 2013, 06:02:20 am
Boar, quick question.....you've smoked a turkey on the egg before haven't you?  I'm thinking about turning the plate setter upside down, putting an aluminum pan on it and filling it up with the Mojo Marinade and setting the turkey on top and smoking it for Thanksgiving.   Setting the temp at around 250 or so trying to get a super moist product.  That should work shouldn't it?   Any ideas or suggestions?

I'm not Boar but I have smoked several turkeys.  I don't have an egg but I do have a propane smoker.

Half of the turkeys turned out awesome.  A properly smoked turkey is the best way to cook them in my opinion.  The other half turned out too dry.  You have to pick the right size turkey (if they're too big they stay at a low temp too long) and pay close attention to the temperature.  They are definitely a little more delicate to smoke than other meats.  If I were going to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving I'd make sure and give it a trial run first.

"Boar"

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 04, 2013, 06:02:20 am

That'll work. I'm cooking a couple 9 lb breasts at around 275 for 3.5 hrs or so. Pull it after it hits 165 on the thickest part.

"Boar"

Turkey breasts marinating in chicken broth for 24 hours.

"Boar"

Injected butter and chicken broth, then rubbed veg oil and cavenders.

BR

Almost ready to foil... Setting at 160 right now..

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

"Boar"

Quote from: BR on November 28, 2013, 09:02:27 am
Almost ready to foil... Setting at 160 right now..

That's going to be goooooood, BR.

pigture perfect

Quote from: "Boar" on November 27, 2013, 03:39:29 pm
Turkey breasts marinating in chicken broth for 24 hours.

Do you use fresh broth or the canned junk? There is a difference.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

"Boar"

Quote from: pigture perfect on November 28, 2013, 10:50:16 am
Do you use fresh broth or the canned junk? There is a difference.

The canned junk this time.

"Boar"

"Boar"

168 at 3:45   Done.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

"Boar"

"Boar"

"Boar"

Venison or pork tenderloins
All-purpose flour for coating
Vegetable oil for sautéing
2 to 3 tablespoons butter
8 ounces (or more) mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons chopped green onions
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup Marsala
Paprika, salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

Cut the tenderloins into 1/2-inch slices; pound the slices lightly. Sprinkle lightly with flour. Saute in a small amount of vegetable oil in a skillet over high heat until brown. Remove to a baking dish.
Melt the butter in the skillet and add the mushrooms. Saute for 5 minutes. Add the green onions, parsley, beef broth, wine, paprika, salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes. Pour over the venison and bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

DeltaBoy

Good Stuff.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Break & Run

Not a good thread to look at at 10:30 in the morning.  Oh my...
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

DeltaBoy

I going to try that Goya Marinade we been on a kick using Italian salad dressing or Old bay and Cavenders on those Birds.   I tried some jerk seasoning but the family said it was too hot.